Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 12:50 AM   #166
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Brave View Post
Corporal punishment? You want us to spank them too? LOL, I'm just messing with you.
Ummm, I don't know what you're talking about, it says capital punishment in my last post. LOL.
I didn't even notice I did that until you said it.

Quote:
I don't have a problem with capital punishment. I do have a problem with the amount of time it takes for the appeals process. Around here, you're gonna sit on death row at least 10-15 years.
I agree. That is beyond moronic that we the tax payers spend all that money to keep them alive. If they are convicted, they should be on death row no longer than 1 year.
I say not longer than 2 months to get their affairs in order.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-18-2007, 09:05 AM   #167
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I agree. That is beyond moronic that we the tax payers spend all that money to keep them alive. If they are convicted, they should be on death row no longer than 1 year.
I say not longer than 2 months to get their affairs in order.
I wasn't against capital punishment until I did a report on it a few years ago and found out that it's not a deterrent. If it won't keep more people from dying, then what is the point? Revenge? That's a pretty useless reason for the government to kill someone. I just don't see the point in it. I do think there are people who do things that deserve to have them killed, I would have killed Saddam and I would kill Usama if given the chance, but they have committed far more atrocity than most people on death row.

Now, what people will misunderstand (and probably try to imply) is that, in no way, am I saying we should be softer on crime. However, if capital punishment is not a deterrent, what is the point? Plus, capital punishment is ridiculously expensive, the following is from a Duke University study:

Quote:
The death penalty costs North Carolina $2.16 million per execution over the costs of a non-death penalty murder case with a sentence of imprisonment for life.
So, it costs more and doesn't deter crimes. What is the advantage again?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #168
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
People may say that, but they never vote on initiatives that would benefit education (especially here in CA). Anything related to education that would raise taxes gets shot down pretty quickly. I wish it were different... if we could spend more money on education, i think the trickle-down effect on a bunch of other problems would be positive.
This country allready spends over 10 grand a year on each child per year and see what we get. I sent my daughter to a private school for less than that and she only had about 20 kids in each class and received a much better education. Just spending more money on something thats not working does not correct the problem.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:59 PM   #169
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
I wasn't against capital punishment until I did a report on it a few years ago and found out that it's not a deterrent. If it won't keep more people from dying, then what is the point? Revenge? That's a pretty useless reason for the government to kill someone. I just don't see the point in it. I do think there are people who do things that deserve to have them killed, I would have killed Saddam and I would kill Usama if given the chance, but they have committed far more atrocity than most people on death row.

Now, what people will misunderstand (and probably try to imply) is that, in no way, am I saying we should be softer on crime. However, if capital punishment is not a deterrent, what is the point? Plus, capital punishment is ridiculously expensive, the following is from a Duke University study:



So, it costs more and doesn't deter crimes. What is the advantage again?
While at it's current rate, I can understand your point. However, we're talking about the scum of the scum. So if it costs 2+ mil after 10-15 years on death row, what would it cost if the man or woman after 40 or 50 years. Obviously they are too dangerous to let out, so they will be in prison for life and we're paying for that.
Also, like I said, we need to execute them right away, but even at the current way of doing this, he should still be executed. 1- he did something so vile that he deserves death, 2- justification for the vitims family, 3- they are a leech on society, and don't deserve the life they get in prison. What is the reason for keeping him alive? If death isn't a deterant, then keeping him in prison is not a deterant either.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #170
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I also think we could use more public hangings in town squares. Show people the consequences to actions. There is a reason those countries that cut off hands when you steal have low theft rates.
Wow, so you think the Saudi justice system is one to be emulated?
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:50 PM   #171
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,983
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
I wasn't against capital punishment until I did a report on it a few years ago and found out that it's not a deterrent. If it won't keep more people from dying, then what is the point? Revenge? That's a pretty useless reason for the government to kill someone. I just don't see the point in it. I do think there are people who do things that deserve to have them killed, I would have killed Saddam and I would kill Usama if given the chance, but they have committed far more atrocity than most people on death row.

Now, what people will misunderstand (and probably try to imply) is that, in no way, am I saying we should be softer on crime. However, if capital punishment is not a deterrent, what is the point? Plus, capital punishment is ridiculously expensive, the following is from a Duke University study:



So, it costs more and doesn't deter crimes. What is the advantage again?

I would be interested to know what the determination is as to the lack of a "deterrent". One thing for sure the person executed will not commit another heinous crime. It would also be very interesting to see what the cost breakdown on the 2+ mil is?
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #172
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
While at it's current rate, I can understand your point. However, we're talking about the scum of the scum. So if it costs 2+ mil after 10-15 years on death row, what would it cost if the man or woman after 40 or 50 years. Obviously they are too dangerous to let out, so they will be in prison for life and we're paying for that.
Also, like I said, we need to execute them right away, but even at the current way of doing this, he should still be executed. 1- he did something so vile that he deserves death, 2- justification for the vitims family, 3- they are a leech on society, and don't deserve the life they get in prison. What is the reason for keeping him alive? If death isn't a deterant, then keeping him in prison is not a deterant either.
I think those are dangerous reasons; I don't believe that the government should be in the business of sponsoring revenge, personally. I can certainly understand your argument and your point, but I don't know that that is something the government should be doing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #173
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
I would be interested to know what the determination is as to the lack of a "deterrent". One thing for sure the person executed will not commit another heinous crime. It would also be very interesting to see what the cost breakdown on the 2+ mil is?
I did a case study that focused on states who have the death penalty vs. a state that borders it and does not. There was a lower percentage of murders in the bordering states who did not have the death penalty. However, most of the states who had the death penalty had the larger cities (I don't remember all of them and won't look them up). There was an exception to that rule, though, Massachusetts, who has the death penalty had a lower murder rate than a neighboring, much smaller state.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #174
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
However, we're talking about the scum of the scum. So if it costs 2+ mil after 10-15 years on death row, what would it cost if the man or woman after 40 or 50 years. Obviously they are too dangerous to let out, so they will be in prison for life and we're paying for that.
I used to be all for the death penalty. But then it occured to me that it's actually the easier way out. All they feel is the slight pinch of a needle, and they gently fall off to sleep. To me, it would seem more of a punishment to know that you'll be in a cage for the rest of your days.

Now, as to the financial burden of incarcerating someone for life? Too bad. That's a legitimate function of government and it's one of the costs of maintaining a civilized society to put away the people who infringe on individual rights. It's no different than having to pay up for the costs of the military or building roads.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #175
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,472
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryssg View Post
You missed the point. I am not going to bother trying to argue with you, because you took it to a whole new extreme.
No, I got your point and then used the rhetorical tool of hyperbole to demonstrate the absurdity of it if carried to its logical extreme.

I understand your point - You have a right to carry guns. My point is that the public has the right to regulate inherently dangerous things such as guns.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:04 PM   #176
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
Wow, so you think the Saudi justice system is one to be emulated?

Did I say that?
Nothing like taking a post out of context eh?

ps- we used to have public hangings here in the good ole USA.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #177
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
I think those are dangerous reasons; I don't believe that the government should be in the business of sponsoring revenge, personally. I can certainly understand your argument and your point, but I don't know that that is something the government should be doing.
Fair enough.
I just feel we as a society has gotten waaaay too lax on our punishment, and it's time to make criminals fear their evil ways.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:17 PM   #178
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Fair enough.
I just feel we as a society has gotten waaaay too lax on our punishment, and it's time to make criminals fear their evil ways.
See, I have conflicting opinions. Because if a person (say Jim so it's more clear). Jim kills Mike's family member. If Mike goes out and kills Jim, I don't really feel sorry for Jim and am not outraged by it in anyway. I do, however, take issue with government putting people to death. I know that I should not advocate people taking the law into their own hands, but that's how I feel on that subject. (Keep in mind, I said I had conflicting ideas.)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:29 PM   #179
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
See, I have conflicting opinions. Because if a person (say Jim so it's more clear). Jim kills Mike's family member. If Mike goes out and kills Jim, I don't really feel sorry for Jim and am not outraged by it in anyway. I do, however, take issue with government putting people to death. I know that I should not advocate people taking the law into their own hands, but that's how I fee on that subject. (Keep in mind, I said I had conflicting ideas.)
I understand.
I have felt for a long long time, that for instance if a woman gets raped and or killed, that woman's immediate family should be allowed to enter a room with the raper / killer and have their way with him. Anything goes, and if they come out of the room and he's dead, then so be it. That's justice.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #180
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,983
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
I did a case study that focused on states who have the death penalty vs. a state that borders it and does not. There was a lower percentage of murders in the bordering states who did not have the death penalty. However, most of the states who had the death penalty had the larger cities (I don't remember all of them and won't look them up). There was an exception to that rule, though, Massachusetts, who has the death penalty had a lower murder rate than a neighboring, much smaller state.
Do you remember if you did any compare on apple to apples like comparison? Such as NY and Cal (but they don't have the DP, I don't think)??
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34786 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25