Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #196
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,525
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

joe, i agree with you. nice post
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #197
Playmaker
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 3,105
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
If you buy a gun get a pump shot gun. That distenct sound of pumping a shell into the chamber is enough to make most theives run for there life.
I was thinking more about purchasing a handgun.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:42 PM   #198
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 40
Posts: 9,534
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
I was thinking more about purchasing a handgun.
And if you don't keep a bullet in the chamber (which I don't keep a bullet in the chamber) then the sound of cocking the gun is just as familiar to a pump action shotgun.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:41 PM   #199
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 52
Posts: 9,232
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
One thing that you assume is that a person carring a gun becomes a danger to everyone else. The facts show just the opposite is true as they have a very low crime rate with people who have a concealed permit and they have safty to take safty classes to carry a gun. I'll see if I can find a link to back this up. I think that your post is your personal thought and is not backed by facts.
Some of my post is, absolutely, my opinion and, yes, it is a gut reaction in some respects. In that I actually support gun ownership, I haven't generally researched the reasons for limiting it. I USUALLY am the one arguing that gun ownership is okay. It's just the "I have a right to have a gun, as many guns as I want, and it's nobody's business but mine" attitude I take issue with. As I said, and as with all constitutionally guaranteed rights, gun ownership requires a balancing of the public interest against the private right.

For example, I have heard few gun owners argue that people should have the right to carry a concealed weapon in schools (Angry even opposed this). BUT:
- If guns encourage safety and all gun owners are concerned with safety (as the NRA article asserts), why not allow them in schools? Aren't they just as safe at a playground as they are on the sidewalk in front of my house? If they inherently pose a danger to kids when carried in schools and playgrounds, dont they inherently pose a danger to adults in other public places? Further, based on the "fewer guns don't make us safer" argument, don't we make schools the targets for armed predators b/c they know no one is armed?
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:18 PM   #200
Camp Scrub
 
dallass-blows 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 67
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

i agree with ted nugent 1000000000%
__________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson
dallass-blows 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #201
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

All I have to say is that, JoeRedskin, you often have some of the most thoughtful, articulate, and interesting posts.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #202
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 52
Posts: 9,232
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
All I have to say is that, JoeRedskin, you often have some of the most thoughtful, articulate, and interesting posts.
Awwwww, shucks. <kicks dirt>
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:09 PM   #203
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Preliminarily, this is mostly just a restatement of the 1000 posts that gone on before and so I am just summarizing previously made arguments.

FIRST: I believe it is unconstitutional to completely ban the personal ownership of guns and, quite frankly, I do not advocate that position. There is an important public interest in preventing a government from having an absolute monopoly on the use of force. Preventing such a monopoly was the crux of and the intent behind the Second Amendment's guarrantee of the individual right to own guns.

SECOND: I don't "fail" to realize anything about your assertion AngrySS. In fact, I agree that regulating guns only affects those who follow regulations. I am okay with this BECAUSE:
- As I argued earlier, those who will illegally own a gun are not necessarily going to be deterred by the possibility of you carrying a concealed weapon; and, thus,
- Carrying a concealed weapon in public does not necessarily increase ur personal safety; but
- A proliferation of concealed weapons in public places, IMO, does create a greater risk to the public.
- Balancing the public's right to safety against your personal right to own a gun requires a balancing process and the regulation of who can own guns, how many they can own, and where they can carry them is both appropriate and well within the the constitutional guidelines set up bythe second amendment.

I and others have said all this before and, at this point, if you can't agree that the public at large has a right to reasonably regulate the availability and ownership of guns and to place restrictions on where they may carried, then we are simply going to have to agree to disagree.
- The 2A DOES NOT guarrantee you the unfettered right to own an arsenal and to go armed anywhere you want.
- As to gun ownership, there is a public interest which must be balanced against any private right you have.
- And, (this one is my personal opinion) while fewer guns may not necessarily make us individually safer, a proliferation of weaponry is not guarantee to greater public safety. Again, IMO - a proliferation of weaponry is more likely to decrease public safety than to increase it.

And with that - I will refer you back to my previous posts 'cause I think I am now just pretty much rehashing what has already been said about dozen times and about a dozen different ways.
After reading this post we pretty much see eye to eye. Our differences are so small that it is not even worth further debate. I bid you a good day sir.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:38 AM   #204
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 40
Posts: 9,534
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Yea but a shot gun gives you a better chance on a dark night.
Well, I do understand the sentiment, however, when in your home, you should be able to see the intruder, and 2, a shot gun will spray pellets which could damage the home. I have bullets that explode on impact, so the worst I will have to do is pick up pieces of brain.
Oh, and I have practiced regularly out at the range...I'm a sure shot.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:40 AM   #205
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 40
Posts: 9,534
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
One thing that you assume is that a person carring a gun becomes a danger to everyone else. The facts show just the opposite is true as they have a very low crime rate with people who have a concealed permit and they have safty to take safty classes to carry a gun. I'll see if I can find a link to back this up. I think that your post is your personal thought and is not backed by facts.
Well, and another little known fact out there in the cities, is that A LOT, and I do mean A LOT of people out in Texas and New Mexico etc have concealed weapons on them 24/7. You just never know. They make holsters for the inner pant, and you could never tell they had a gun.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:04 PM   #206
Playmaker
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 3,105
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
You say play grounds but to carry a gun you have to be over the age 18 so I don't think "kids" will be packing at school. Now if maybe each school had a few trained people to carry a gun it maybe a good idea. The argument was made that if one of the VT students just had a gun they may have stopped that guy from killing all of those people. I really don't think we will see the day when students will be packing a gun but we could see the day when teachers and or the administration is allowed to carry a gun. The crazy part of this is that we even have to talk about arming our schools and it would be nice if we knew what has gone wrong for this to be even an issue.
I think it would be a tough to get administrators or teachers to carry guns, and I don't know that I would feel comfortable around some of them if they did. There are on campus police at universities and they carry guns, maybe we just need more of them.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #207
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 40
Posts: 9,534
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
You say play grounds but to carry a gun you have to be over the age 18 so I don't think "kids" will be packing at school. Now if maybe each school had a few trained people to carry a gun it maybe a good idea. The argument was made that if one of the VT students just had a gun they may have stopped that guy from killing all of those people. I really don't think we will see the day when students will be packing a gun but we could see the day when teachers and or the administration is allowed to carry a gun. The crazy part of this is that we even have to talk about arming our schools and it would be nice if we knew what has gone wrong for this to be even an issue.

While I like the idea, I think that a school should be a gun free environment. There have been teachers that have lost their control in the past, so that could pose as a problem. Also students that have gone out of control too...just not a good scenario in schools.
How about security systems for metal detectors or armed security guards?
It's really tough to play the "what could have happened" game. Hindsight is always 20/20.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #208
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

I believe that this is a better place to talk about gun control, rather than the Charlton Heston Thread.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #209
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,110
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Good call angry
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #210
Playmaker
 
BleedBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,471
Re: Ted Nugent on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Well, I do understand the sentiment, however, when in your home, you should be able to see the intruder, and 2, a shot gun will spray pellets which could damage the home. I have bullets that explode on impact, so the worst I will have to do is pick up pieces of brain.
Oh, and I have practiced regularly out at the range...I'm a sure shot.
you crack me up. "i'd use the shotty, but those pellets are just so... messy." Would you prefer the .44 and the ginormous bloodstain? Shooting someone is always going to make a friggin' mess.

Hard to beat a sawed off for self defense...
__________________
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.41243 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25