Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2008, 05:40 AM   #136
Playmaker
 
itvnetop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 37
Posts: 2,875
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

I haven't read through the entire thread yet and someone may have already mentioned this already, but it's interesting to note that most ethnic groups were fairly split on the 8 vote. However, the African-American community voted 70-30 in favor of 8. The Obama push within the AA community ironically helped get Prop 8 passed in CA. There were actually predominantly black churches distributing Pro-8 pamphlets out to residents, displaying pics of ministers and Obama (seemingly tying the candidate with Prop 8).

The anti-8 protests have been extremely fierce, but seem to be misdirected. Most of the rallies are being held in anti-8 areas, such as West Hollywood (the predominantly gay area of LA) and West LA. It's kind of like they're preaching to the choir. No rallies have even stepped foot in many of the sections that overwhelmingly voted for 8, like East LA or South Central. The protesters are way more comfortable shouting outside of the Mormon Temple in liberal Century City (where most residents voted "No") instead of in front of the AME Church in Inglewood (where most voted "Yes").
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #137
The Starter
 
Lady Brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Trinity, NC
Age: 43
Posts: 1,444
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
I've repeatedly stated my opinions on this issue, in this thread. I've provided my rationale respectfully, while being insulted multiple times. Your post is just the latest example of anyone who holds a conservative point of view being the enemy. While this is a football fan site, the parking lot has always, to me, been its saving grace. When the football talk degrades to unbearable levels I still come back to what has routinely been intelligent and entertaining off topic discussion. Over the last 6 months I've noticed a sharp turn in the tone of discussion where those with left-leaning views are given time while the more conservative members are either shouted down or, by viewing the tone taken with others, encouraged not to post at all. So while I will miss many portions of this site, I cannot in good conscience continue to support something that to me is a shadow of what it once was. To be clear, this is my last post.

Matty, if at all possible, delete my account. If not, simply leave it dormant. Thank you and Hail to the Redskins.
Quoted for truth.
Lady Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #138
Gamebreaker
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 28
Posts: 12,972
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Sorry I'm not going to apologize for having an opinion, and I've never discouraged anyone from doing the same. My comments on 'religious wackos and ignorant homophobes' was meant as a general statement (and I was not trying to say that everyone who is religious is a wacko), and not pertaining to anyone here specifically. So if anyone misconstrued that and took it personally, I apologize for the misunderstanding.
And I think that's exactly what that was, a general statement. I don't think he said, for example, "conservative/evangelical religious wackos", because if that's the case, I definitely know some liberal religious wackos (I grew up in a household full of them). There are always exceptions to the rule and to opinions.

I'm going to guess that if someone jumps on the offensive about the wackos/homophobe statement, they might fall into one of the two categories. Otherwise there's no reason to get your knickers in such a twist.

Plus there's no real reason to leave the board. Love for the Skins should trump everything, disagreements on sexual orientation, political parties, etc. But good luck BB.

Anyway, I digress...
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #139
Camp Scrub
 
TheLastDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
WTF do you think a ban on gay marriage does? Isn't the view point being pushed by proponents of the ban "gay marrige is not OK?"

Don't get it twisted homie this ban is a variation of Loving v. Virginia which is to say it a clear violation of the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment:
To use the 14th amendment to defend gay marriage is laughable, but you libs always do that type of thing. You twist the constitution to fit your perverted view of America. I'm pretty sure the intent of the 14th amendment had 0 to do with anything about gay rights. In law one of the things you are supposed to determine is INTENT of the law. That's just basic law 101 type of stuff. Also, you libs use the 14th amendment to say if you are born here to an illegal alien you become a citizen. Yet another twisting of this amendment. Now if you want to go ahead and get another amendment into the constitution that says gay marriage is legal then you'd have an argument, but until then you have no valid argument. You can bring up your decisions like Loving v. Virginia all you want, but we know that there are a TON of decisions that are just plain wrong. Did you think the Dred Scott decision was a good one? Did you think Plessy v. Ferguson was a good one? Should we use those as precedent too?
TheLastDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #140
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastDon View Post
To use the 14th amendment to defend gay marriage is laughable, but you libs always do that type of thing. You twist the constitution to fit your perverted view of America. I'm pretty sure the intent of the 14th amendment had 0 to do with anything about gay rights. In law one of the things you are supposed to determine is INTENT of the law. That's just basic law 101 type of stuff. Also, you libs use the 14th amendment to say if you are born here to an illegal alien you become a citizen. Yet another twisting of this amendment. Now if you want to go ahead and get another amendment into the constitution that says gay marriage is legal then you'd have an argument, but until then you have no valid argument. You can bring up your decisions like Loving v. Virginia all you want, but we know that there are a TON of decisions that are just plain wrong. Did you think the Dred Scott decision was a good one? Did you think Plessy v. Ferguson was a good one? Should we use those as precedent too?
We're not the ones trying to change the Constitution to fit our world views. Last time I checked it is you conservatives that are proposing consititional amendments because the Constitution doesn't allow you to win in the courts. Here's a quick list of amendments championed by conservatives as an addendum to our beloved part-time-sacred-document:
  • The Flag Desecration Amendment
  • Balanced budget Amendment
  • Supermajority to raise taxes
  • “Parental rights” Amendment – the right of parents to “raise their children as they see fit, introduced last year by Jim DeMint and Peter Hoekstra.
  • Human life Amendment, banning abortion
  • The Federal Marriage Amendment, banning gay marriage
  • Believing that the DC Voting Rights Act was unconstitutional, Lisa Murkowski proposed an Amendment giving the District a single voting representative.
  • Last year, Jim DeMint introduced a term limits Amendment (3 terms in the House, 2 in the Senate).
  • Allowing state-endorsed prayer in public schools.
  • Scraping birth right citizenship from the 14th Amendment.
  • Scraping the 17th Amendment and the ability of voters to choose their own senators.
  • Repealing and "restoring" the 13th Amendment

The really sad part is that your representatives don't think you numskulls realize how difficult it is to change the Constitution so they toy with you. You have to change hearts and minds before you go after the Constitution. Don't get it twisted homie, you're the ones that don't like the Constitution. I forgive you though, it's your nature and you don't know any better.

BTW, bad decisions have been made in the past...there is no question about that...slowly but surely we rectified those decisions. And discrimination against the gays is no different...time is on our side cuz.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #141
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,750
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastDon View Post
To use the 14th amendment to defend gay marriage is laughable, but you libs always do that type of thing. You twist the constitution to fit your perverted view of America. I'm pretty sure the intent of the 14th amendment had 0 to do with anything about gay rights. In law one of the things you are supposed to determine is INTENT of the law. That's just basic law 101 type of stuff. Also, you libs use the 14th amendment to say if you are born here to an illegal alien you become a citizen. Yet another twisting of this amendment. Now if you want to go ahead and get another amendment into the constitution that says gay marriage is legal then you'd have an argument, but until then you have no valid argument. You can bring up your decisions like Loving v. Virginia all you want, but we know that there are a TON of decisions that are just plain wrong. Did you think the Dred Scott decision was a good one? Did you think Plessy v. Ferguson was a good one? Should we use those as precedent too?
Just out of curiosity are you even a Redskins fan or did you find this thread on Google?
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #142
Camp Scrub
 
TheLastDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
We're not the ones trying to change the Constitution to fit our world views. Last time I checked it is you conservatives that are proposing consititional amendments because the Constitution doesn't allow you to win in the courts. Here's a quick list of amendments championed by conservatives as an addendum to our beloved part-time-sacred-document:
  • The Flag Desecration Amendment
  • Balanced budget Amendment
  • Supermajority to raise taxes
  • “Parental rights” Amendment – the right of parents to “raise their children as they see fit, introduced last year by Jim DeMint and Peter Hoekstra.
  • Human life Amendment, banning abortion
  • The Federal Marriage Amendment, banning gay marriage
  • Believing that the DC Voting Rights Act was unconstitutional, Lisa Murkowski proposed an Amendment giving the District a single voting representative.
  • Last year, Jim DeMint introduced a term limits Amendment (3 terms in the House, 2 in the Senate).
  • Allowing state-endorsed prayer in public schools.
  • Scraping birth right citizenship from the 14th Amendment.
  • Scraping the 17th Amendment and the ability of voters to choose their own senators.
  • Repealing and "restoring" the 13th Amendment

The really sad part is that your representatives don't think you numskulls realize how difficult it is to change the Constitution so they toy with you. You have to change hearts and minds before you go after the Constitution. Don't get it twisted homie, you're the ones that don't like the Constitution. I forgive you though, it's your nature and you don't know any better.
Boy oh boy, you REALLY don't understand how the US is setup at all. Do you? Of course they are trying to add amendments. This is what you are supposed to do! What you are NOT supposed to do is take an amendment that CLEARLY has nothing to do with an issue and twist it into something to support your twisted views. If you want your views made into law then make an amendment. Speaking of winning hearts and minds, why don't you try doing that instead of hijacking the courts? I think every single vote on gay marriage in this country has been against gays getting married. You guys can't even get a state's people to see eye to eye with you. Not even in California, home of the gay capital of the US!
TheLastDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #143
Camp Scrub
 
TheLastDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Just out of curiosity are you even a Redskins fan or did you find this thread on Google?
Hail to the Redskins!
TheLastDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #144
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,750
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastDon View Post
Hail to the Redskins!
Lol, sorry. You're entitled to your views but a Prop 8 thread seems like an odd place to start on a place like this.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #145
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastDon View Post
Boy oh boy, you REALLY don't understand how the US is setup at all. Do you? Of course they are trying to add amendments. This is what you are supposed to do! What you are NOT supposed to do is take an amendment that CLEARLY has nothing to do with an issue and twist it into something to support your twisted views. If you want your views made into law then make an amendment. Speaking of winning hearts and minds, why don't you try doing that instead of hijacking the courts? I think every single vote on gay marriage in this country has been against gays getting married. You guys can't even get a state's people to see eye to eye with you. Not even in California, home of the gay capital of the US!
You're the one talking about how "[we] twist the constitution to fit [our] perverted view of America." We work within the Constitution....you should f'ing try it sometime instead of pretending the Constitution is explicit when you think it. We work within the framework because we realize passing a constitutional amendment to accommodate every little thing is futile and retarded.

And every state in the south passed jim crow laws but that doesn't make it right. You keep digging buddy, you might hit pay dirt and dig all the way to the 17th century someday.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #146
Camp Scrub
 
TheLastDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Lol, sorry. You're entitled to your views but a Prop 8 thread seems like an odd place to start on a place like this.
I know Saden1, personally. He directed me to this thread since we were discussing the judge's decision in SF today. That's why I started here.
TheLastDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #147
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,750
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastDon View Post
I know Saden1, personally. He directed me to this thread since we were discussing the judge's decision in SF today. That's why I started here.
Ha ha, oh man thats rich. The last person I would expect you to know personally around here would be Saden. I guess opposites...crap I need a different word considering the topic of this thread. So are you the conservative answer to Saden around here, because I think there's a huge opening at resident conservative.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #148
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastDon View Post
I know Saden1, personally. He directed me to this thread since we were discussing the judge's decision in SF today. That's why I started here.
What can I say? I called it two years ago.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #149
Camp Scrub
 
TheLastDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Ha ha, oh man thats rich. The last person I would expect you to know personally around here would be Saden. I guess opposites...crap I need a different word considering the topic of this thread. So are you the conservative answer to Saden around here, because I think there's a huge opening at resident conservative.
I would say I am the voice of common sense which is an exact opposite of Saden.
TheLastDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #150
Camp Scrub
 
TheLastDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
What can I say? I called it two years ago.
Gee, big surprise when the case is before a gay judge in San Fran...lol. You really know how to predict things!
TheLastDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33999 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25