Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #181
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,599
Haven't we reached the point where homosexuality is a norm?

Or do you still believe it's a choice you can be cured from?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #182
Playmaker
 
GhettoDogAllStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Age: 33
Posts: 2,761
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

I'm a heterosexual male. I never made a choice to like women. It just happened.

I have a few gay friends. They are as close to "normal" as anyone else I know.
__________________
To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
GhettoDogAllStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #183
Camp Scrub
 
TheLastDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

I think the solution to this whole thing is to take all government involvement out of marriage. Then no one will have any problem with being treated unfairly. If there is a church that recognizes gay marriage then they can get married there. Who cares? Personally, I don't think gay marriage is right, but they aren't hurting me so have at it. Everyone gets judged in the end and that's between you and God. Not between me and that person.
TheLastDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #184
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 37
Posts: 2,906
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Haven't we reached the point where homosexuality is a norm?

Or do you still believe it's a choice you can be cured from?
I didn't make them. It's not my part to figure out why they're effed up. I am of the opinion that many of them were sexually abused as children, some of it's a choice, and some were born sexually retarded. I don't know? You'll have to ask God.

No, you have reached the point to where you think two perverts sodomozing each other is normal. They don't call themselves queer (AKA strange) because they think they're normal. Why should I? If you can look at Dennis Rodman and think he's normal then well, I guess we've crossed over into the Twilight Zone.

We in Virginia have made it law that we will not recognize another state's marriage licenses for two perverts. If you don't like it, don't move here.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #185
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 37
Posts: 2,906
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastDon View Post
I think the solution to this whole thing is to take all government involvement out of marriage. Then no one will have any problem with being treated unfairly. If there is a church that recognizes gay marriage then they can get married there. Who cares? Personally, I don't think gay marriage is right, but they aren't hurting me so have at it. Everyone gets judged in the end and that's between you and God. Not between me and that person.
Taking the Federal government out of our lives, and the lives of foreigners, would solve about 90% of all of our problems.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #186
The Starter
 
Mechanix544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fort Bliss, TX
Posts: 2,277
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
I didn't make them. It's not my part to figure out why they're effed up. I am of the opinion that many of them were sexually abused as children, some of it's a choice, and some were born sexually retarded. I don't know? You'll have to ask God.

No, you have reached the point to where you think two perverts sodomozing each other is normal. They don't call themselves queer (AKA strange) because they think they're normal. Why should I? If you can look at Dennis Rodman and think he's normal then well, I guess we've crossed over into the Twilight Zone.

We in Virginia have made it law that we will not recognize another state's marriage licenses for two perverts. If you don't like it, don't move here.
Here Here. This whole PC wave sweeping the nation is getting out of control. So, because two gay guys want cheaper auto insurance and tax breaks, we should legally recognize them as a married couple? Sorry, No way. Marriage is and should be between a man and a woman. Nature says it works that way, and almost every religion says it is blasphemy. So we should cater to them because they are different? Sorry, No way. Lead your life the way you want, but when it comes to the general public recognizing your homo love and okaying it essencially, that is where the buck should stop. Its almost as sick as letting gays in the military............
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #187
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastDon View Post
I think the solution to this whole thing is to take all government involvement out of marriage. Then no one will have any problem with being treated unfairly. If there is a church that recognizes gay marriage then they can get married there. Who cares? Personally, I don't think gay marriage is right, but they aren't hurting me so have at it. Everyone gets judged in the end and that's between you and God. Not between me and that person.
Well see you're making this a moral argument, and thus stating marriage between a man and a woman is superior to gay and lesbian marriage. Now while that's your prerogative, and the church's for that matter, the government should not be coming to such conclusions regarding the institution of marriage. So it's nearly impossible for the government to "stay out of marriage" in order to protect the rights --the constitutional rights -- awarded to American citizens.

Just to reiterate, I don't think it's the government's role to determine what's morally acceptable and what isn't, particularly regarding marriage. If the Constitution doesn't protect that right, then who will enforce it? That's why we go to court, to test the rulings constitutionality. And in this case the judge determined that it was unconstitutional. This isn't a moral argument, it's a civil rights issue.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #188
MVP
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 10,053
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
But how does beastiality or incest enter the conversation?
It doesn't. I hadn't really paid any heed to that stuff. I am just talking about marriage and it's ability to be ever-so-impossible to define in a way that everyone would be happy with. I guess to me the issue is "marriage of non-related people". I might be persuaded to actually take the non-related out of that though. I imagine some reasonable person somewhere wants to marry his cousin and cohabitate in a non-gross way. Anyways this is my point... I don't want to be the person deciding whether they can so I certainly don't want some faceless governmental device doing it.

What a truly worthless conversation this discussion strikes me as the more we engage in it.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #189
MVP
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 10,053
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Actually I love this issue...it highlights the hypocrisy of both libs and conservatives.

Conservatives: the bastion of the limited gov't powers now wants the gov't to strictly define something. That's funny

Liberals: the bastion of a powerful central gov't with the will to exert power "for the benefit of all society" now wants the gov't to basically not regulate this. Funny.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #190
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
It doesn't. I hadn't really paid any heed to that stuff. I am just talking about marriage and it's ability to be ever-so-impossible to define in a way that everyone would be happy with. I guess to me the issue is "marriage of non-related people". I might be persuaded to actually take the non-related out of that though. I imagine some reasonable person somewhere wants to marry his cousin and cohabitate in a non-gross way. Anyways this is my point... I don't want to be the person deciding whether they can so I certainly don't want some faceless governmental device doing it.

What a truly worthless conversation this discussion strikes me as the more we engage in it.

With all due respect, it might worthless to some here on a football forum, but it's definitely a worthy discussion and a lifelong battle for millions of gays and lesbians that want to enter marriage and be awarded the same basic rights as heterosexual couples; to live their lives free of discrimination, hate, and be treated equally.

I'm not on some liberal high horse, but the conversation is in keeping with the thread.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #191
MVP
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 10,053
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Well see you're making this a moral argument, and thus stating marriage between a man and a woman is superior to gay and lesbian marriage. Now while that's your prerogative, and the church's for that matter, the government should not be coming to such conclusions regarding the institution of marriage. So it's nearly impossible for the government to "stay out of marriage" in order to protect the rights --the constitutional rights -- awarded to American citizens.

Just to reiterate, I don't think it's the government's role to determine what's morally acceptable and what isn't, particularly regarding marriage. If the Constitution doesn't protect that right, then who will enforce it? That's why we go to court, to determine the test of a rulings constitutionality. And in this case the judge determined that it was unconstitutional. This isn't a moral argument, it's a civil rights issue.
Bingo dingo. Leave the moral stuff to society...dump legal marriage since it is only a sanctification of a moral decision.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #192
MVP
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 10,053
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
With all due respect, it might worthless to some here on a football forum, but it's definitely a worthy discussion and a lifelong battle for millions of gays and lesbians that want to enter marriage and be awarded the same basic rights as heterosexual couples; to live their lives free of discrimination, hate, and be treated equally.

I'm not on some liberal high horse, but the conversation is in keeping with the thread.
I probably didn't express myself very well there. I agree with you in the sense that if the gov't is going to sanction marriage then this is a very important discussion. I just don't think the gov't should so therefore I think the conversation is pointless. Just from my perspective though. I do realize that the government giving up on marriage sanctification is a pipe-dream though. It is too entrenched in our scoiety as a legal element to ever go away.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #193
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Bingo dingo. Leave the moral stuff to society...dump legal marriage since it is only a sanctification of a moral decision.

Easier said than done. And for the record, I agree with and like your definition of marriage. It's spot on.

But one way or another the government will be involved.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #194
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I probably didn't express myself very well there. I agree with you in the sense that if the gov't is going to sanction marriage then this is a very important discussion. I just don't think the gov't should so therefore I think the conversation is pointless. Just from my perspective though. I do realize that the government giving up on marriage sanctification is a pipe-dream though. It is too entrenched in our scoiety as a legal element to ever go away.
Funny because right after I posted this, I read your follow-up post.

Anyway, points well stated and noted.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #195
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Well see you're making this a moral argument, and thus stating marriage between a man and a woman is superior to gay and lesbian marriage. Now while that's your prerogative, and the church's for that matter, the government should not be coming to such conclusions regarding the institution of marriage. So it's nearly impossible for the government to "stay out of marriage" in order to protect the rights --the constitutional rights -- awarded to American citizens.

Just to reiterate, I don't think it's the government's role to determine what's morally acceptable and what isn't, particularly regarding marriage. If the Constitution doesn't protect that right, then who will enforce it? That's why we go to court, to test the rulings constitutionality. And in this case the judge determined that it was unconstitutional. This isn't a moral argument, it's a civil rights issue.
Just because we have sticklers for quotes lurking here, I want to clarify that I'm speaking about marriage between two consulting adults of a legal age; not between a man and pig, or a woman and horse, or her teenage daughter. But two adults considered of age by society's norms.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32640 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25