Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Texas wants to rewrite the US History books

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #181
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Texas wants to rewrite the US History books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushead View Post
You know I am usually very in the middle and try to be calm about some things, but this I just won't stand for.

Our education sucks, especially in history, because it is a constant push to prove "American exceptionalism," or this idea that the U.S. started great, was always great, continues to be great, and was never wrong, bad or selfish in any of its exploits. It's unrealistic.

I'm tired of it. Guess what? The United States has been one of the most notorious countries in exploiting other countries and paving the way for Neocolonialsm, which is not taking over other people's land but controlling them through economic and political pressure. We have mingled in other countries' problems for years with assassinating other leaders, staging coups and involving itself in other people's politics for our own good. Want to know why some countries don't like us? It's not because they are jealous of our freedom or status; it's how we have been involved in other countries underhandedly and manipulating them.

Has the US done great things? Yes it has! But, there is this concept that if you talk about these things, you aren't patriotic. That is completely just untrue.

Second, one of the earlier posters talked about how there is this liberal bias everywhere: the news, the media, Hollywood, entertainment, etc. This is complete bullshit. This boogieman just needs to die. CNN is way more fair and balanced than Fox News or MSNBC ever will be.

To pick on FoxNews for a bit, I remember during the Tea Party rallies how an earlier one boasted great attendance and one that happened a few months later didn't have many people(both were marches on the capitol of I remember). FoxNews used clips from the earlier one (the one with more people) for the one that happened later (the one with less people).

That is agenda pushing guys, pure and simple. I'm not asking news to be perfect; that is unreasonable. But if I knew a news source was willing to switch different video and different pictures and different statistics, I would not trust them. But, people on the right are fine with this because it's "fair and balanced." Can you tell me how? IF you acknowledge they did that, which they did, they can't be fair and balanced.

People just don't want to accept the fact that America is not some pie in the sky country, and any time someone goes to correct that, ignorant people come out of the woodwork more than willing to defend historical rewriting because we are theoretically leftist and moving a bit more to the right will put us in the center.

These makes our kids stupid. This makes us stupid. We are moving to more and more globalization. The technology that will come out in the next 20 or 30 years will only increase this trend. But, with all of our kids thinking America is a deity because of their historical education, how will they operate with other people? How will they understand why there are pockets of people who can't stand us?
Just what I would expect from the left. Why not talk about the countries that we help that don't give a dam about us but we still help them because its the right thing to do. Most in the midle east hate us because of their goverment and the people who want to keep their power. They also hate our way of life so it does not matter if we left today they would still hate us for that. They think that our way of life will take over in the middle east and they will loose their power over people. No the US is not perfect but we do way more good then bad. By the way it doe not matter what you do people will always hate you. I would also like to see your proof that Fox did what you said.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #182
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Texas wants to rewrite the US History books

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblanch66 View Post
:confused: I probably wouldn't be a saint either if some white dude with a gun raped my wife, burned my land, murdered my children and stole my country. But hey, that's me.
several tribes were far from saints before that

not to say that they deserved it
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #183
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,527
Re: Texas wants to rewrite the US History books

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Just what I would expect from the left. Why not talk about the countries that we help that don't give a dam about us but we still help them because its the right thing to do. Most in the midle east hate us because of their goverment and the people who want to keep their power. They also hate our way of life so it does not matter if we left today they would still hate us for that. They think that our way of life will take over in the middle east and they will loose their power over people. No the US is not perfect but we do way more good then bad. By the way it doe not matter what you do people will always hate you. I would also like to see your proof that Fox did what you said.
No, that is not true.

For just one example: the US spends more money on its military than the rest of the world COMBINED. No one can challenge us militarily because we outspend the entire rest of the planet. If we took some of that money which is far overspent on the military, and used it to build clinics and schools in desperately poor countries, a lot of people would like us a lot more.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #184
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,848
Re: Texas wants to rewrite the US History books

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Just what I would expect from the left. Why not talk about the countries that we help that don't give a dam about us but we still help them because its the right thing to do. Most in the midle east hate us because of their goverment and the people who want to keep their power. They also hate our way of life so it does not matter if we left today they would still hate us for that. They think that our way of life will take over in the middle east and they will loose their power over people. No the US is not perfect but we do way more good then bad. By the way it doe not matter what you do people will always hate you. I would also like to see your proof that Fox did what you said.
Actually, most of the countries in the Middle East hate us because of our support for Israel. Granted, not just because of that, but typically the whole opposition to the US starts with that argument.

Personally I'm in the middle when it comes to your argument. I think this country is the land of opportunity (hence why my family came here) and there is a lot of good that we do for the world. However, I think this country has done its share of bad things and one of the worst thing that a country can do is to dismiss their wrongdoings.

People in the left love to complain about our country, yet they don't realize that we are lucky to live in a country where you can freely do so. And people on the right need to realize that it is OK to complain about your country, and that in a democracy it is not only permissible to question our leaders it's our responsibility.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #185
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Texas wants to rewrite the US History books

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblanch66 View Post
:confused: I probably wouldn't be a saint either if some white dude with a gun raped my wife, burned my land, murdered my children and stole my country. But hey, that's me.
Or cut my living heart out to sacrifice to the sun.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #186
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Texas wants to rewrite the US History books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
No, that is not true.

For just one example: the US spends more money on its military than the rest of the world COMBINED. No one can challenge us militarily because we outspend the entire rest of the planet. If we took some of that money which is far overspent on the military, and used it to build clinics and schools in desperately poor countries, a lot of people would like us a lot more.
Read what I said and a lot does not mean all. We can never make everyone like us no matter what we do. We allready spend more then any other country around the world helping poor countries. If we reduce our spending on the military then lets at least keep the money here at home. Last time I check we are running in the red. By the way whats wrong with having the strongest military in the world?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #187
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Texas wants to rewrite the US History books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Actually, most of the countries in the Middle East hate us because of our support for Israel. Granted, not just because of that, but typically the whole opposition to the US starts with that argument.

Personally I'm in the middle when it comes to your argument. I think this country is the land of opportunity (hence why my family came here) and there is a lot of good that we do for the world. However, I think this country has done its share of bad things and one of the worst thing that a country can do is to dismiss their wrongdoings.

People in the left love to complain about our country, yet they don't realize that we are lucky to live in a country where you can freely do so. And people on the right need to realize that it is OK to complain about your country, and that in a democracy it is not only permissible to question our leaders it's our responsibility.
Ok I left off our support for Isreal but I wonder how many in the middle east use that as a shield for their real hate toward us? I don't have a problem with people pointing out our problems but I some times wonder why people want to go back in history and keep pointing out every little thing we have done wrong and act like we never do any thing good. I also respect all opinions and try to never attack anyone personally but some here on the left seem to not have that problem.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #188
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Texas wants to rewrite the US History books

Its wrong if the expenditures are not on a self-sustainable track and funds could be more reasonable allocated on something else.

Many will argue that is the case with social security. I am one that thinks the former spending is a bit too much, as the results have not been tangible nor will be with increased expenditure.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #189
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,273
Re: Texas wants to rewrite the US History books

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Read what I said and a lot does not mean all. We can never make everyone like us no matter what we do. We allready spend more then any other country around the world helping poor countries. If we reduce our spending on the military then lets at least keep the money here at home. Last time I check we are running in the red. By the way whats wrong with having the strongest military in the world?
I totally agree with cutting the military budget and keeping that money at home. When you have so many social inequities and programs in desperate need of funding, you have to wonder if having a monster military budget is really the best use of our money.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #190
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,848
Re: Texas wants to rewrite the US History books

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Ok I left off our support for Isreal but I wonder how many in the middle east use that as a shield for their real hate toward us? I don't have a problem with people pointing out our problems but I some times wonder why people want to go back in history and keep pointing out every little thing we have done wrong and act like we never do any thing good. I also respect all opinions and try to never attack anyone personally but some here on the left seem to not have that problem.
Good point, I do think there are probably a few countries and group that use the whole "Israel" thing as a shield. I also think that a lot of countries use the whole "hate the U.S." as a way to get support in their area and whatnot (i.e. Chaves in Venezuela).

Well it is sometimes a good idea to go back in history and see past mistakes, so that we don't repeat them. Although a lot of countries are not good at that. Personally I think there needs to be a balance, you need to remember the good things your country has done and acknowledge them, but as I said, you also need to question the bad actions. Unfortunately, we live in a society where both sides of the political spectrum like to point out just the negatives.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #191
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Texas wants to rewrite the US History books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I totally agree with cutting the military budget and keeping that money at home. When you have so many social inequities and programs in desperate need of funding, you have to wonder if having a monster military budget is really the best use of our money.
the ghost of Reagan haunts you
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #192
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Texas wants to rewrite the US History books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I totally agree with cutting the military budget and keeping that money at home. When you have so many social inequities and programs in desperate need of funding, you have to wonder if having a monster military budget is really the best use of our money.
I'd pull all of the troops and bases out of foreign countries. That would save some money. I'd cut social spending too.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #193
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Texas wants to rewrite the US History books

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Its wrong if the expenditures are not on a self-sustainable track and funds could be more reasonable allocated on something else.

Many will argue that is the case with social security. I am one that thinks the former spending is a bit too much, as the results have not been tangible nor will be with increased expenditure.
SS would have been just fine if the goverment had stuck the money into some safe, safe, fund we would have a surplus as far as the eye could see.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #194
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,273
Re: Texas wants to rewrite the US History books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
I'd pull all of the troops and bases out of foreign countries. That would save some money. I'd cut social spending too.
So where would your savings in to?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #195
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,273
Re: Texas wants to rewrite the US History books

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
SS would have been just fine if the goverment had stuck the money into some safe, safe, fund we would have a surplus as far as the eye could see.
You mean like a lockbox?

lol
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33256 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25