Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Utah killer executed by firing squad

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Utah killer executed by firing squad

Firing squad? I had no idea this was still used as a method of execution. Damn.

Firing squad executes convicted killer Ronnie Lee Gardner
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Mr. Brightside
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Age: 28
Posts: 4,442
Re: Utah killer executed by firing squad

old school, i like. i remember reading about him wanting it this way a while back. old school=good. hehe.
__________________
"I don't care what nobody say I'm a be me, stay hood stay real, cause I'm out here grindin'" -Joe Gibbs
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,003
Re: Utah killer executed by firing squad

A firing squad is abnormal as a method of execution. They only used it because he requested it.

We as a country need to wake up and abolish the death penalty. It is an expensive waste.

Note:
1) contrary to popular belief, the death penalty is more expensive. It costs about $750,000 to keep someone in maximum security for life, and maximum security protects society by keeping the murderer locked up. However, because of legal appeals, each death penalty case costs $3-4 million. So, for example, a recent study showed that Florida could save $51 million a year by abolishing the death penalty. The old argument that "I'm not gonna pay to keep a murderer alive" is financial nonsense. This is a big reason why New Jersey abolished the death penalty last year.

2) numerous studies have shown that the death penalty does not deter crime. Almost all of the states with the highest murder rates have the death penalty. Almost all of the states with the lowest murder rates do not have the death penalty.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Mr. Brightside
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Age: 28
Posts: 4,442
Re: Utah killer executed by firing squad

i disagree. i think some people are better off not existing on this planet anymore.
__________________
"I don't care what nobody say I'm a be me, stay hood stay real, cause I'm out here grindin'" -Joe Gibbs
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 37
Posts: 2,906
Re: Utah killer executed by firing squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
A firing squad is abnormal as a method of execution. They only used it because he requested it.

We as a country need to wake up and abolish the death penalty. It is an expensive waste.

Note:
1) contrary to popular belief, the death penalty is more expensive. It costs about $750,000 to keep someone in maximum security for life, and maximum security protects society by keeping the murderer locked up. However, because of legal appeals, each death penalty case costs $3-4 million. So, for example, a recent study showed that Florida could save $51 million a year by abolishing the death penalty. The old argument that "I'm not gonna pay to keep a murderer alive" is financial nonsense. This is a big reason why New Jersey abolished the death penalty last year.

2) numerous studies have shown that the death penalty does not deter crime. Almost all of the states with the highest murder rates have the death penalty. Almost all of the states with the lowest murder rates do not have the death penalty.
Wrong Lotus. Being burned at the stake is cruel and unusual. George Washington had people executed by firing squad. It is still on the books today as is the gas chamber and hanging.

A bullet costs next to nothing. Letting criminals stay on death-row for years to appease bleeding hearts is expensive.

Rapist and murderers should all be shot! MF each and every one of them. Better yet, televise it too.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,003
Re: Utah killer executed by firing squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
i disagree. i think some people are better off not existing on this planet anymore.
And you'd prefer to pay millions of dollars a year to keep that belief?
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,003
Re: Utah killer executed by firing squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Wrong Lotus. Being burned at the stake is cruel and unusual. George Washington had people executed by firing squad. It is still on the books today as is the gas chamber and hanging.

A bullet costs next to nothing. Letting criminals stay on death-row for years to appease bleeding hearts is expensive.

Rapist and murderers should all be shot! MF each and every one of them. Better yet, televise it too.
As for the firing squad, I wasn't saying anything different than you are. It is just not the usual, that's all.

As for "Letting criminals stay on death-row for years to appease bleeding hearts is expensive," as I have already shown, it is actually less expensive than executions.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 37
Posts: 2,906
Re: Utah killer executed by firing squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
As for the firing squad, I wasn't saying anything different than you are. It is just not the usual, that's all.

As for "Letting criminals stay on death-row for years to appease bleeding hearts is expensive," as I have already shown, it is actually less expensive than executions.
Dude you're reaching.

Food, clothing, and shelter for years = $

Have the scum dig his own grave then shooting his ass = cheap and legal

You don't need to be a genius to get that.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
Playmaker
 
GhettoDogAllStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Age: 32
Posts: 2,761
Re: Utah killer executed by firing squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
A firing squad is abnormal as a method of execution. They only used it because he requested it.

We as a country need to wake up and abolish the death penalty. It is an expensive waste.

Note:
1) contrary to popular belief, the death penalty is more expensive. It costs about $750,000 to keep someone in maximum security for life, and maximum security protects society by keeping the murderer locked up. However, because of legal appeals, each death penalty case costs $3-4 million. So, for example, a recent study showed that Florida could save $51 million a year by abolishing the death penalty. The old argument that "I'm not gonna pay to keep a murderer alive" is financial nonsense. This is a big reason why New Jersey abolished the death penalty last year.

2) numerous studies have shown that the death penalty does not deter crime. Almost all of the states with the highest murder rates have the death penalty. Almost all of the states with the lowest murder rates do not have the death penalty.
I'll back you up here. I don't support the death penalty either, but when the circumstances are right, I support vengeance killing.

My basic point of view is: we have made mistakes with the death penalty and have killed innocent people. Not cool with me that our government kills innocent people. Certainly not the way a free society should act, IMO.

I also think that lawyers are taught the n-Guilty men doctrine, which pretty much states that it is better for guilty men to go free than innocent men to be imprisoned. Maybe some Warpath lawyers can confirm/deny this.

As for vengeance killing -- if I witnessed somebody commit serious crimes against my family or loved ones, I might become enraged and kill them out of vengeance and I don't think I would be wrong for doing it -- or anyone else for that matter.

Just my $0.02

In any case, I saw an article about this guy before. Firing squad has been eliminated as a means for execution in the state of Utah. However, this guy and a few others had requested it before its elimination, and so they were "grandfathered" in. I've got to say, I like his style.
__________________
To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
GhettoDogAllStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Utah killer executed by firing squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoDogAllStars View Post
I'll back you up here. I don't support the death penalty either, but when the circumstances are right, I support vengeance killing.

My basic point of view is: we have made mistakes with the death penalty and have killed innocent people. Not cool with me that our government kills innocent people. Certainly not the way a free society should act, IMO.

I also think that lawyers are taught the n-Guilty men doctrine, which pretty much states that it is better for guilty men to go free than innocent men to be imprisoned. Maybe some Warpath lawyers can confirm/deny this.

As for vengeance killing -- if I witnessed somebody commit serious crimes against my family or loved ones, I might become enraged and kill them out of vengeance and I don't think I would be wrong for doing it -- or anyone else for that matter.

Just my $0.02

In any case, I saw an article about this guy before. Firing squad has been eliminated as a means for execution in the state of Utah. However, this guy and a few others had requested it before its elimination, and so they were "grandfathered" in. I've got to say, I like his style.
Not many people are convicted in todays world without DNA evidence to convict them. I say when we are 100% sure we have the right person give them one appeal then death.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #11
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,003
Re: Utah killer executed by firing squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Dude you're reaching.

Food, clothing, and shelter for years = $

Have the scum dig his own grave then shooting his ass = cheap and legal

You don't need to be a genius to get that.
Life in prison under maximum security = $750,000

Court costs for the state in a death penalty case = $3mil. to $4 mil.

Tramp, the math is easy on this one.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #12
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,962
Re: Utah killer executed by firing squad

Utah official gives execution go-ahead, then tweets - Yahoo! News

Not sure I'd be tweeting about this
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #13
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 37
Posts: 2,906
Re: Utah killer executed by firing squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Life in prison under maximum security = $750,000

Court costs for the state in a death penalty case = $3mil. to $4 mil.

Tramp, the math is easy on this one.
Poor thing. You're telling me the cost of beaucracy is justification for allowing pedophiles, rapists, and murderers to live off my dime.

Back before the criminals were allowed to shoot dope, lift weights, and sodomize each other all day, it costed nothing to house them. They worked on prison farms, in prison shops, or built roads on a chain-gang. If they got out of line they were put under the prison. 'Shaken the bush boss!"

It's not about the money. It's about justice. And don't give me all that jazz about innocent people getting convicted. More innocent people die every year on our highways than have ever been mistakenly executed by the criminal justice system. That's life!

I remember a scum-bag puke piece of shit illegal alien, who with the help of his buddies, gang raped two young girls and then strangled them with their own shoe strings. He confessed. So your financial arguement is out the window Lotus. I forgot what state executed the vermin filth? Maybe some of you remember?

All of you moralist will whistle a different tune when your wife, mother, or daughter is raped and strangled to death by an illegal alien.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.

Last edited by Trample the Elderly; 06-18-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,364
Re: Utah killer executed by firing squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
And you'd prefer to pay millions of dollars a year to keep that belief?
Total up the millions being spent on death row cases, divide it by the number of taxpayers in this country, and you're talking about a cost of no more than $1 per taxpayer per year.

Sometimes it's important to keep numbers in perspective. "Millions" is nothing when it comes to the US budget.

Yes, I'll gladly pay my $1 to see these people get what's coming.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #15
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,003
Re: Utah killer executed by firing squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Poor thing. You're telling me the cost of beaucracy is justification for allowing pedophiles, rapists, and murderers to live off my dime.

Back before the criminals were allowed to shoot dope, lift weights, and sodomize each other all day, it costed nothing to house them. They worked on prison farms, in prison shops, or built roads on a chain-gang. If they got out of line they were put under the prison. 'Shaken the bush boss!"

It's not about the money. It's about justice. And don't give me all that jazz about innocent people getting convicted. More innocent people die every year on our highways than have ever been mistakenly executed by the criminal justice system. That's life!

I remember a scum-bag puke piece of shit illegal alien, who with the help of his buddies, gang raped two young girls and then strangled them with their own shoe strings. He confessed. So your financial arguement is out the window Lotus. I forgot what state executed the vermin filth? Maybe some of you remember?

All of you moralist will whistle a different tune when your wife, mother, or daughter is raped and strangled to death by an illegal alien.
No, I'm telling you that life in prison is off your dime. Execution is off your millions.

However, if you continue to applaud while the government squanders your tax dollar, so be it.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32061 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25