Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


What's up with the cops these days?

Debating with the enemy


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #166
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,364
Re: What's up with the cops these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
There are scumbags in every profession, that shouldn't tarnish the entire bunch as a whole though. Cops are definitely underrated.
sorry to be tagging each one with a repetitive response, but again, cops aren't underrated. Who doesn't tip their hat to one when they come out of Dunkin Donuts, or 7-11. Back to my MP days, when I walked in to a BX(military walmart) in uniform, mostly everyone was pleasant, respectful and gave me the utmost in pleasantries. I know that alot of that was due simply to the emblem on my collar, and the MP on my arm. (not that I'm not a nice guy anyway ). There isn't a cop (who's not in it for power) who doesn't know that they are appreciated and that nonLE/nonCriminals appreciate the good guys for what they do.

It's the ones who feel their position of authority makes them somehow more special, or above the law, that are the bad eggs, and they shouldn't be allowed to hide behind the shield when they are outted.
CRedskinsRule is offline  

Advertisements
Old 07-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #167
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,409
Re: What's up with the cops these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
sorry to be tagging each one with a repetitive response, but again, cops aren't underrated. Who doesn't tip their hat to one when they come out of Dunkin Donuts, or 7-11. Back to my MP days, when I walked in to a BX(military walmart) in uniform, mostly everyone was pleasant, respectful and gave me the utmost in pleasantries. I know that alot of that was due simply to the emblem on my collar, and the MP on my arm. (not that I'm not a nice guy anyway ). There isn't a cop (who's not in it for power) who doesn't know that they are appreciated and that nonLE/nonCriminals appreciate the good guys for what they do.

It's the ones who feel their position of authority makes them somehow more special, or above the law, that are the bad eggs, and they shouldn't be allowed to hide behind the shield when they are outted.
Maybe not to you, but threads like this say otherwise. You're also coming from a different perspective as someone who was in the field.

It would be nice if we had a little more balance between the negatives and positives. I know in general people love to bitch and complain vs. point out the good things.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 07-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #168
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,981
Re: What's up with the cops these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I don't think that's true. It's kind of like the old joke of a kid saying there's a mother's day and a father's day, but when is kid's day. Every day is kid's day.

Every day, and in many thousands of sporting events per year, LE and others who serve are acknowledged, appreciated and otherwise feted. But bad ones do exist, and simply because of their greater responsibility, they should be held to a higher scrutiny, not lesser.

It really has nothing to do with walking in one's shoes. They signed up to protect and serve. Those who don't should be called to the carpet.
^^^^^^^^^^
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline  
Old 07-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #169
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,005
Re: What's up with the cops these days?

Ive had great experiences with cops....and then I know some cops. Thats all im gonna say.
__________________
@RSherman_25 just make sure you stay in Seattle cause without that pass rush you are who we thought you were. 5th rd PK no speed good hands

DeAngelo Hall (@DeAngeloHall23) March 14, 2014
Chico23231 is offline  
Old 07-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #170
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,378
Re: What's up with the cops these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Maybe not to you, but threads like this say otherwise. You're also coming from a different perspective as someone who was in the field.

It would be nice if we had a little more balance between the negatives and positives. I know in general people love to bitch and complain vs. point out the good things.
Pointing out a police doing something nice is like pointing out a lawyer for getting somebody out of a speeding ticket. It's their job. As CR pointed out, cops are very much appreciated and respected. In fact, I have two in my own family that serve with the highway patrol. In fact, we had to bury one this past week. My uncle was a beacon and model of how officers should be. Respected the position, respected his fellow officers, and respected the people he served.




Most of the stuff that's posted here is negative because that's basically what this thread is about. (cops doing stupid shit) I've posted the other week about how good our cops handled a shooting in our town.

http://www.thewarpath.net/debating-w...ml#post1012916 (Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister)

Just because I'm not posting the "good" deeds the cops are doing doesn't mean I'm not aware of those good deeds. Furthermore, I understand that the majority of cops are good, and don't abuse the power given to them. However, even good cops hide the actions of bad cops with their "Thin Blue Line". I have more of a issue with the system itself than I do with individual cops. We have leadership in law enforcement that would rather cover up a bad cop's actions than to punish said action. They essentially are condoning the bad behavior. I've seen it happen. I've had the Sgt. here at the university tell me of many instances where it happens.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 07-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #171
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,378
Re: What's up with the cops these days?

Bottom line is. Cops should be held to a higher standard. The problem is, they aren't. (as noted by many of these things posted)
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 07-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #172
Special Teams
 
RedskinMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Odenton, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 300
Re: What's up with the cops these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
This happened 1 mile from my house.
RedskinMike is offline  
Old 07-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #173
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,580
Re: What's up with the cops these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Pointing out a police doing something nice is like pointing out a lawyer for getting somebody out of a speeding ticket. It's their job. As CR pointed out, cops are very much appreciated and respected. In fact, I have two in my own family that serve with the highway patrol. In fact, we had to bury one this past week. My uncle was a beacon and model of how officers should be. Respected the position, respected his fellow officers, and respected the people he served.




Most of the stuff that's posted here is negative because that's basically what this thread is about. (cops doing stupid shit) I've posted the other week about how good our cops handled a shooting in our town.

http://www.thewarpath.net/debating-w...ml#post1012916 (Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister)

Just because I'm not posting the "good" deeds the cops are doing doesn't mean I'm not aware of those good deeds. Furthermore, I understand that the majority of cops are good, and don't abuse the power given to them. However, even good cops hide the actions of bad cops with their "Thin Blue Line". I have more of a issue with the system itself than I do with individual cops. We have leadership in law enforcement that would rather cover up a bad cop's actions than to punish said action. They essentially are condoning the bad behavior. I've seen it happen. I've had the Sgt. here at the university tell me of many instances where it happens.
I'm sorry for the loss.

I suppose it's because we don't have a "kudos to cops" thread that comments here (I'm sure many without knowing the full story of what happened) stand out.

Perhaps it's because of the negative nature of the majority of the threads in this forum but it seems like a lot of people here are anti "The Man" to somewhat absurd extremes. Or I could just be making assumptions, probably am.

That said, I don't really buy the "it's your job" argument. Yes, they've chosen to put themselves in a position of danger at nearly any given moment. But, and I know this may upset some, but people willingly join the military and are lauded as heroes, yet it seems to me police officers often aren't.

Again, very sorry for your family's loss
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 07-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #174
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,409
Re: What's up with the cops these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I'm sorry for the loss.

I suppose it's because we don't have a "kudos to cops" thread that comments here (I'm sure many without knowing the full story of what happened) stand out.

Perhaps it's because of the negative nature of the majority of the threads in this forum but it seems like a lot of people here are anti "The Man" to somewhat absurd extremes. Or I could just be making assumptions, probably am.

That said, I don't really buy the "it's your job" argument. Yes, they've chosen to put themselves in a position of danger at nearly any given moment. But, and I know this may upset some, but people willingly join the military and are lauded as heroes, yet it seems to me police officers often aren't.

Again, very sorry for your family's loss
Agreed. Soldiers do some horrible things too but are mostly off limits to criticism it seems.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #175
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,378
Re: What's up with the cops these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I'm sorry for the loss.

I suppose it's because we don't have a "kudos to cops" thread that comments here (I'm sure many without knowing the full story of what happened) stand out.

Perhaps it's because of the negative nature of the majority of the threads in this forum but it seems like a lot of people here are anti "The Man" to somewhat absurd extremes. Or I could just be making assumptions, probably am.

That said, I don't really buy the "it's your job" argument. Yes, they've chosen to put themselves in a position of danger at nearly any given moment. But, and I know this may upset some, but people willingly join the military and are lauded as heroes, yet it seems to me police officers often aren't.

Again, very sorry for your family's loss

Thank you for the condolences Smoot. We've pretty much prepared for his departure since the beginning of the year when he was diagnosed with cancer of the pancreas, which was inoperable in his case. Glad we got a chance to say goodbye to him a couple weeks ago with the rest of the family. Also, **** cancer.


Yes, I will agree with you that military is viewed more favorably among the population compared to police officers, but I imagine that's because people interact more with our police than the military. We see the bad things cops do on youtube, but we hardly hear about the rapes and murders done by military men unless it's leak to the press. I'm sure if more people followed the military personnel around with cameras, we'd probably be horrified at some of the things our "heroes" do. I personally think military men, fireman, and cops all have thankless and underpaid jobs. I salute the men serving, but I also distrust the system as it is.

Needless to say, I assure you that I hold the same type of contempt for the soldiers (and leaders) that do these types of things, and then try to cover it up.

As far as anti-"the man" goes, I'm anarchist at heart, but I know realistically that a government is needed because we have too many stupid (and corrupt) people to govern themselves. I'm big with civil rights and liberties, and think those are are that should not be meddled with. I think corporate money and religion have no place in our government, but both seemingly continue to sway our political structure in favor of the morally bankrupt.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 07-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #176
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,957
Re: What's up with the cops these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinMike View Post
This happened 1 mile from my house.
I go by the spot everyday on the way home .
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Old 07-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #177
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,957
Re: What's up with the cops these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Bottom line is. Cops should be held to a higher standard. The problem is, they aren't. (as noted by many of these things posted)
Sorry , I have to say bullshit to this ! Why , just because you say so? Look the police officers themselves try to hold themselves as examples to the public but as was pointed out there are bad apples in every section of society, don't damn all because of a few and when all that is posted is the bad , well then that is the impression you are giving that all ...not just some are bad.
We say the same about our sports hero's , they should be held to a higher standard, again same answer ...they are human and there are some bad with the good, it happens but if all we do is point out the bad then we give the view that are beliefs of them is just that all bad.
People that should be held to a higher standard.....
Police
Military
Parents
Firemen
EMTs
Teachers
Clergy
Politicians'
Doctors
Athletes
Business people
anyone alive....etc.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.

Last edited by Giantone; 07-04-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Giantone is offline  
Old 07-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #178
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,957
Re: What's up with the cops these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
It's not cool to appreciate police officers

I'm finding that out.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Old 07-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #179
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,378
Re: What's up with the cops these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
We say the same about our sports hero's , they should be held to a higher standard, again same answer ...

Most of the "we" you speak of are ignorant people who have no grasp of what's valuable and what is not. Nobody in their right mind thinks a sports hero should be held to a higher standard. Mainly because nobody in their right mind (beyond kids) would put a sports hero on a pedestal. To put a athlete and a public officer in the same category is laughable at best.

Yes, I expect more from cops, doctors, and politicians. Yes I think there should be a higher standard from these people while doing their jobs. If you don't understand why that should be, I'm not sure what to tell you. I think it would be clear on how valuable those professions are to the public and the amount of lives at stake with the powers these positions hold.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 07-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #180
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,378
Re: What's up with the cops these days?

This is the standard I speak of. The system is corrupt. It has been and will continue as long as we allow it. It's not just the cops, it's the judges as well. Here we have a judge who finds a officer "not guilty" of police brutality because she refused to allow the video as evidence.

Judge Finds Cop Not Guilty of Assault after Refusing to Watch Video of Assault - | Intellihub.com


This is your ****ing judicial system at work here. One that's keeping the crimes against the population under wraps. One that's ignoring the laws of the land to exercise their own justice in the way they see fit.



Listen to the police union douchebag say how video shouldn't be used against cops.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.22949 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25