Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


For JTF's Reading Pleasure: "What is the Tea Party"

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #46
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,739
Re: For JTF's Reading Pleasure: "What is the Tea Party"

The 2 "independents" that took the Democrats from the 58 that Miller said and the 60 supermajority basically always vote Democratic. So while the Democrats may technically have only had 58, they controlled 60 votes, or enough to break a filibuster, until they lost the special election early this year.

From Smoot's article:
Quote:
Democrats currently have exactly 60 members in their caucus; Republicans have 40. The GOP knows that presidents typically lose House and Senate seats during midterm elections, and is banking on that fact to block much of Obama's agenda.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #47
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,739
Re: For JTF's Reading Pleasure: "What is the Tea Party"

From the Wikipedia Senate breakdown:
Quote:
Party Elected
Democratic Party 57
Republican Party 41
Independents ......2
Again, the Independents both rarely if ever vote against the Democratic vote if it is a major up/down issue.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #48
The Starter
 
joethiesmanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,163
Re: For JTF's Reading Pleasure: "What is the Tea Party"

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Bush did include some war spending in his budget but its has always been counted against the deficit. Pretty much the same thing that Obama is doing. In the end the deficit is the deficit no matter what the budget was.
Deficit is the shortfall of the budget. You budget 1000 and spend 1150. 150 is the deficit. The budget determines the deficit. The crazy part is they hide stuff by not putting it in the budget. If they know they have to spend it then include it in the budget, its intellectually dishonest not to. Of course Bush didn't include the war costs in the budget because then it would be voted on in perspective with everything else. He would wait til Al Quaeda make a tape then have them vote on the war budget alone. Deficit be damned we gonna get Saddam at all costs!!!!
__________________
BP Bush/Palin 2012
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #49
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: For JTF's Reading Pleasure: "What is the Tea Party"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller101 View Post


The Democrats never have had a majority in the Senate! Sixty Seats is a majority in the Senate! 60! And thats just breaking even! The most they have had in this term is 58. You can look it up if you don't believe me. Your Republican pals filibuster everything that comes along. Every single bill!!! Thats why I said that we need to get some more Democrats in the Senate. So the Republican Filibuster can be broken. Then and only then things will start getting done. The American People will be happy to see things get done and their ratings will go up. On the other hand, If it stays the way it is now......................................with Republicans still holding power. Our country could very well stay in the freakin dirt!
Have you and jtf been on the NASA shuttle to Bizarro world together? There are countries that have a similar structure to what you're looking for....Venezuela, Cuba, China come to mind.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #50
Special Teams
 
Miller101's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 362
Re: For JTF's Reading Pleasure: "What is the Tea Party"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The 2 "independents" that took the Democrats from the 58 that Miller said and the 60 supermajority basically always vote Democratic. So while the Democrats may technically have only had 58, they controlled 60 votes, or enough to break a filibuster, until they lost the special election early this year.

From Smoot's article:
You're making it sound like Independents are Democrats. And thats where you are wrong. Do I need to remind you that Lieberman, one of the Independents, joined the McCain Campaign last Presidential Election? He actually wanted McCain, the Republican, to be President. Not the Democrat, but the Republican!

Lieberman goes to bat for McCain campaign - The Boston Globe

Or that Lieberman sided with the Republicans for almost all of the Health Care Reform debate? I mean, he even joined the Republican Filibuster of it. He was one of the key reasons that the Public Option was taken out...............I'm sure I don't need to remind you that the Public Option was a very Democratic thing.

Will Sen. Joe Lieberman filibuster health care reform, or won't he? - By Timothy Noah - Slate Magazine

So, trying to call this guy a Democrat is kind of like catching George Bush in the act of speaking English correctly......................................... .....It happens from time to time, but not as much as you would like.
__________________
"And the Redskins went down there and manhandled them and they basically undressed them and now everybody's been lining up to get a piece of them." - John Riggins on the last game we played in Texas Stadium
Miller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #51
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,739
Re: For JTF's Reading Pleasure: "What is the Tea Party"

Lieberman's history:
. In the 2000 United States presidential election, Lieberman was the Democratic nominee for Vice President, running with presidential nominee Al Gore,
He was an unsuccessful candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination in the 2004 presidential election.
Lieberman has been officially listed in Senate records for the 110th and 111th Congresses as an "Independent Democrat"[2]
Ultimately, the Senate Democratic Caucus voted to allow Lieberman to keep chairmanship of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. Subsequently, Lieberman announced that he will continue to caucus with the Democrats.[4]
Lieberman remains a registered Democrat.[5]
{sidenote, He has also opposed filibustering Republican judicial appointments.}

the above was from his Wiki,

he also was a Democratic Senator since 1988 before he lost the Democratic primary and ran as an independent democrat.

so trying to say this guy isn't a Democrat demonstrates a lack of knowledge about his past.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #52
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,667
Re: For JTF's Reading Pleasure: "What is the Tea Party"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller101 View Post


The Democrats never have had a majority in the Senate! Sixty Seats is a majority in the Senate! 60! And thats just breaking even! The most they have had in this term is 58. You can look it up if you don't believe me. Your Republican pals filibuster everything that comes along. Every single bill!!! Thats why I said that we need to get some more Democrats in the Senate. So the Republican Filibuster can be broken. Then and only then things will start getting done. The American People will be happy to see things get done and their ratings will go up. On the other hand, If it stays the way it is now......................................with Republicans still holding power. Our country could very well stay in the freakin dirt!
Wow. The President is a Democrat, the Democrats hold a majority in the House, a majority in the Senate and yet the Republicans are "still holding power"!!! Amazing. Add that to your "Democrats never have had a majority in the Senate" and you are just the Fact Checking Man!!!

Tell the truth, you've learned your debate style from JTF.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #53
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,926
Re: For JTF's Reading Pleasure: "What is the Tea Party"

With Joe Lieberman, Ben Nelson and Blanche Lincoln in the caucus Republicans aren't/weren't the problem...with Brown they have become part of the problem. It's OK though, two can play that game. I'm sure sometime down the road when Lord Obama has ruined America and the GOP gains control once again they'll be whining about how little control they have. Filibuster away....you get a filibuster, you get a filibuster, everybody gets a filibuster.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 07-07-2010 at 08:52 PM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #54
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,667
Re: For JTF's Reading Pleasure: "What is the Tea Party"

I think they should officially change the term "filibuster" to "clusterf***".

As with so many things, a useful and important procedural/legal tool that gets abused (by both sides of the aisle).
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #55
Special Teams
 
Miller101's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 362
Re: For JTF's Reading Pleasure: "What is the Tea Party"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Have you and jtf been on the NASA shuttle to Bizarro world together? There are countries that have a similar structure to what you're looking for....Venezuela, Cuba, China come to mind.


You actually think that Republicans don't hold power? Are you freakin kidding me!?!?!??! I mean, why hasn't Wall Street Reform passed? Because Republicans have prevented it from doing so. THAT IS CALLED POWER!!!! And also called DUH!!! When you can hold up a bill that is supposed to help bring this country out of a Great Recession.....................its takes POWER to do so. DUH!!!! And Democrats don't have a super majority to break the filibuster! DUH!!!!

Its sixty votes to get bills passed in the Senate now. Once upon a time it was fifty with the Vice President breaking the tie. Now, its sixty. Republicans have filibustered every single thing, so it takes Sixty votes to break that and pass the bill. Dems just don't have the votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin
Wow. The President is a Democrat, the Democrats hold a majority in the House, a majority in the Senate and yet the Republicans are "still holding power"!!! Amazing. Add that to your "Democrats never have had a majority in the Senate" and you are just the Fact Checking Man!!!

Tell the truth, you've learned your debate style from JTF.
Once again, The Dems don't hold a majority in the Senate. With Senator Byrd's passing they hold fifty-six seats now. Fifty-six is NOT ENOUGH to get a bill passed anymore and therefore is NOT Majority. DUH!!! If it was enough then Wall Street Reform would have passed already! DUH!!!!

Sixty Seats is a majority. SIXTY!!! THE BIG '6' '0'!!! And a Super Majority is something like Sixty-Eight or Sixty Seven................heck, maybe even Sixty-Five. When was the last time the Democrats had that many? Not in my lifetime. And until they get that many. Nothing will get done that the Democrats want to get done. Including passing a bill that will help to, get this, ACTUALLY REGULATE WALL STREET. When you regulate Wall Street you might actually stop a Great Recession from happening before it even happens. Can you imagine that? Preventing something so serious from ever happening? I can't! Not when Republicans have enough power to stop the Democrats from doing anything and everything that the Dems need to do too bring this country out of the ditch that they put it in.

Here, here is a little video that I found that explains almost all of the bills that have been held up by the Senate. Bills that have passed the house, but won't pass the Senate:

YouTube - Wall St Reform? Party of Nope thinks...
">
YouTube - Wall St Reform? Party of Nope thinks...
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
__________________
"And the Redskins went down there and manhandled them and they basically undressed them and now everybody's been lining up to get a piece of them." - John Riggins on the last game we played in Texas Stadium
Miller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #56
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: For JTF's Reading Pleasure: "What is the Tea Party"

Deleted.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #57
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: For JTF's Reading Pleasure: "What is the Tea Party"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller101 View Post


You actually think that Republicans don't hold power? Are you freakin kidding me!?!?!??! I mean, why hasn't Wall Street Reform passed? Because Republicans have prevented it from doing so. THAT IS CALLED POWER!!!! And also called DUH!!! When you can hold up a bill that is supposed to help bring this country out of a Great Recession.....................its takes POWER to do so. DUH!!!! And Democrats don't have a super majority to break the filibuster! DUH!!!!

Its sixty votes to get bills passed in the Senate now. Once upon a time it was fifty with the Vice President breaking the tie. Now, its sixty. Republicans have filibustered every single thing, so it takes Sixty votes to break that and pass the bill. Dems just don't have the votes.



Once again, The Dems don't hold a majority in the Senate. With Senator Byrd's passing they hold fifty-six seats now. Fifty-six is NOT ENOUGH to get a bill passed anymore and therefore is NOT Majority. DUH!!! If it was enough then Wall Street Reform would have passed already! DUH!!!!

Sixty Seats is a majority. SIXTY!!! THE BIG '6' '0'!!! And a Super Majority is something like Sixty-Eight or Sixty Seven................heck, maybe even
Sixty-Five.
Miller, the Dems still have a majority. FYI, there are only 100 Senators- two per state. If the Democrats have 56, more than half, then how do they not have a majority? Do explain.

The Dems no longer have 60 senators, which is the filibuster-proof super majority. DUH!!!

You talk loud and say nothing.

Democrats struggle to hold critical 60-seat Senate majority - CNN.com
Republican Scott Brown Defeats Democrat Martha Coakley in Massachusetts Senate Race - ABC News
Democrats Lose More than Senate Seat in Mass: Massachusetts Elects Republican for Senate, Dems Lose Super Majority
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #58
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,692
Re: For JTF's Reading Pleasure: "What is the Tea Party"

When I think of that "can you change" thread that CRed started I wonder about Miller101 and whether he could change. To me he seems to be the type of person who if he heard a Democrat say "the world is shaped like a triangle and the capital of Italy is Tehran" He'd be like "damn right it is!"

I'll post this link again even though he'll just gloss over it. Or maybe he's right,maybe the Dems never have had 60 seats in the Senate and this link is some article from The Onion.

Democrats struggle to hold critical 60-seat Senate majority - CNN.com
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #59
Special Teams
 
Miller101's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 362
Re: For JTF's Reading Pleasure: "What is the Tea Party"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Miller, the Dems still have a majority. FYI, there are only 100 Senators- two per state. If the Democrats have 56, more than half, then how do they not have a majority? Do explain.

The Dems no longer have 60 senators, which is the filibuster-proof super majority. DUH!!!

You talk loud and say nothing.

Democrats struggle to hold critical 60-seat Senate majority - CNN.com
Republican Scott Brown Defeats Democrat Martha Coakley in Massachusetts Senate Race - ABC News
Democrats Lose More than Senate Seat in Mass: Massachusetts Elects Republican for Senate, Dems Lose Super Majority
It takes 60 to pass a bill from the Senate!!! DUH!!!!!!! The Dems don't have that DUH!!!!! They don't have a majority! DUH!!!!!

What more do I have to explain!?!?!?!?
__________________
"And the Redskins went down there and manhandled them and they basically undressed them and now everybody's been lining up to get a piece of them." - John Riggins on the last game we played in Texas Stadium
Miller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #60
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,667
Re: For JTF's Reading Pleasure: "What is the Tea Party"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller101 View Post
It takes 60 to pass a bill from the Senate!!! DUH!!!!!!! The Dems don't have that DUH!!!!! They don't have a majority! DUH!!!!!

What more do I have to explain!?!?!?!?
You are just an idiot. DUH. Truly. DUH. Beyond comprehension. DUH. You can use whatever definition for "majority" you want, but it doesn't change the meaning. DUH.

Majority: greater number of people or things: most of the people or things in a large group ( takes a singular or plural verb ) "The majority of women now work."

define majority - Bing DICTIONARY
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.46752 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25