Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Teresa Lewis

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #16
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,989
Re: Teresa Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
I don't know if I agree with that. I think the vast majority of people don't do unlawful stuff because we know it's wrong -- you know, the Golden Rule. I wouldn't steal from someone not because I might get locked up, but because I wouldn't want anyone stealing from me.

I guess it all depends upon your outlook of human nature. I think most people are generally good.
I should have been more specific. Most of society would, as you say tow the line because that is what "they should do". I really refer to those who are so inclined to livin' on the edge and the only reason they don't go all in is fear of doin' time or worse.
I think it is demonstrated on the occasions that we have rioting in the states in this place or that. It is generally accompanied by looting as the chance of getting caught and punished greatly reduced.
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #17
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Teresa Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
The death penalty is not a good deterrent...the numbers just don't support any claim that it is. If you want to deter people from committing heinous crimes combat poverty and invest more in education.

Some people just deserve to be murked...we just need to admit that to ourselves so we can stop pretending the death penalty is about justice and as means to deter others...it's pure unadulterated eye-poking revenge.
I don't think we use the death penalty enough to know if its a deterrent. I mean whats the chance of someone getting executed?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #18
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,914
Re: Teresa Lewis

I think the history of the world is scattered with loads of evidence that humans in general do anything and everything up to and including what they are ALLOWED to do. I find the notion that society in general is not deterred by lawful punishment to be silly. Of course it does. Humans are animals. We all fight for self survival..self interest. Every single thing we do is in our own self-interest. Without clear lines defined by laws and enforced through deterrents people in general would abuse the rights of others. Maybe A person could act with others in mind but give me a hundred people and most of them would go crazy.

Note: this is not a pontification on the deterrence offered by the death penalty...I generally agree it doesn't deter anything at all. The rate of deterrence is probably very variable and defined by the nature of the potential crime and the nature of the potential punishment. I bet we'd have a lot less people speeding if we killed them for it.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #19
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,914
Re: Teresa Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I don't think we use the death penalty enough to know if its a deterrent. I mean whats the chance of someone getting executed?
Wow...your solution to the issue is to kill more people..so we can see if it works.

We use capital punishment in only the rarest of cases where there are aggravating circumstances. In general these crimes are either profound crimes of emotion or mental instability. It's hard to argue that people with impaired thinking or emotions can act with any level of reason. Numerous studies have shown this.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #20
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Teresa Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I think the history of the world is scattered with loads of evidence that humans in general do anything and everything up to and including what they are ALLOWED to do. I find the notion that society in general is not deterred by lawful punishment to be silly. Of course it does. Humans are animals. We all fight for self survival..self interest. Every single thing we do is in our own self-interest. Without clear lines defined by laws and enforced through deterrents people in general would abuse the rights of others. Maybe A person could act with others in mind but give me a hundred people and most of them would go crazy.

Note: this is not a pontification on the deterrence offered by the death penalty...I generally agree it doesn't deter anything at all. The rate of deterrence is probably very variable and defined by the nature of the potential crime and the nature of the potential punishment. I bet we'd have a lot less people speeding if we killed them for it.
I do alot of stuff that has nothing to do with my self interest. I think kids learning right from wrong from their parent is a bigger deterrent then any laws.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #21
Playmaker
 
BleedBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,469
Re: Teresa Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
I don't know if I agree with that. I think the vast majority of people don't do unlawful stuff because we know it's wrong -- you know, the Golden Rule. I wouldn't steal from someone not because I might get locked up, but because I wouldn't want anyone stealing from me.

I guess it all depends upon your outlook of human nature. I think most people are generally good.
Speak for yourself, the second the law goes away, i'm going on a mother****ing rampage!
:FIREdevil



j/k
__________________
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #22
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,914
Re: Teresa Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I do alot of stuff that has nothing to do with my self interest. I think kids learning right from wrong from their parent is a bigger deterrent then any laws.
You do nothing that doesn't bring you some form of self-satisfaction on some level. Not one single thing.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #23
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Re: Teresa Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Wow...your solution to the issue is to kill more people..so we can see if it works.

We use capital punishment in only the rarest of cases where there are aggravating circumstances. In general these crimes are either profound crimes of emotion or mental instability. It's hard to argue that people with impaired thinking or emotions can act with any level of reason. Numerous studies have shown this.
He's advocating we run this hip like the Saudis.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #24
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,989
Re: Teresa Lewis

The Peace loving muslims???
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #25
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 11,851
Re: Teresa Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
I don't know if I agree with that. I think the vast majority of people don't do unlawful stuff because we know it's wrong -- you know, the Golden Rule. I wouldn't steal from someone not because I might get locked up, but because I wouldn't want anyone stealing from me.

I guess it all depends upon your outlook of human nature. I think most people are generally good.
Totally opposite of that, I'm scared of the police and I'm a black female. Punishment definitely is the deterrent for me.

Reminds me of the Dave Chappelle stand up special, where he says, if a black guy tries to do something wrong an old black dude will pop out and say, "N*gga don't do that, that's 5 to 10. We know the laws and the penalties."
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #26
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Teresa Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Totally opposite of that, I'm scared of the police and I'm a black female. Punishment definitely is the deterrent for me.

Reminds me of the Dave Chappelle stand up special, where he says, if a black guy tries to do something wrong an old black dude will pop out and say, "N*gga don't do that, that's 5 to 10. We know the laws and the penalties."
Are you scred of the police because of who they are or because your parent raised you to do the right thing and you just associate cops with getting in trouble? I think most people would do the correct thing even without cops. They might break little laws like speeding but not the crimes against other people.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #27
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Teresa Lewis

She might be scared because of stories like this, this, or maybe this.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:45 PM   #28
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Re: Teresa Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
The Peace loving muslims???

No, the strict ten commandments adhering Saudis...you know, where everything is punishable by death! You don't honor your mother and father? Death. You cheated on your your wife, I prescribe death! You're gay? No progress or progressives here...death! You get the death penalty, you get the death penalty, everyone gets the penalty!
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #29
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,497
Re: Teresa Lewis

^^ Unlike the English Inquisition: "So, what will it be .... Cake or Death!?"
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #30
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Re: Teresa Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
^^ Unlike the English Inquisition: "So, what will it be .... Cake or Death!?"
LOL...Will I survive eating the cake?
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28379 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25