Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Teresa Lewis

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
Impact Rookie
 
davy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: England
Posts: 705
Teresa Lewis

So, how does everybody feel about killing a woman with an IQ barely above that of a German Shepherd?
__________________
“Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to.”
davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,684
Re: Teresa Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
So, how does everybody feel about killing a woman with an IQ barely above that of a German Shepherd?
Good. She hired people to kill others. If she's smart enough to do that, she's smart enough to know it's wrong. And she's dangerous enough of a human being for me to feel not the least bit bad about seeing her die.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 13,579
Re: Teresa Lewis

im a little bothered by the fact the triggermen both got off with life and there was sufficient evidence she was manipulated by a co-conspirator/triggerman into the "plot." there is no doubt she is guilty and to say she doesnt know right from wrong and didnt know the consequences is absurb.

The topic of death penalty is very interesting, but to argue its a deterrent for crime is an effing joke. Dont bring that garbage
__________________
“Nobody’s going to be handed a job; not my standpoint, and I know Jay feels that way and I know Bruce feels the same way. You have to earn it. That’s what the NFL is about. Prove to me that you deserve to be on the field,’ and that’s the way it has to be in the NFL.”- McC
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: close to the edge
Posts: 3,985
Re: Teresa Lewis

I generally agree with you Chico with regards to the death penalty as not being a deterrent to murder. Anyone who does an act of murder that would rise to the level of a death penalty case such as "hostage-rape-then murder" situation is so far beyond a reasonable state of mind and thinking that the thought that they might be the death penalty would not enter their decision making process and act as a deterrent before they commit the act.

That being said, in the situaiton of "murder for hire" or "contract killing" i think the death penalty may have a deterrent in that the person doing the hiring isnt the crazed lunatic murderer but someone who is showing reasonable and calculated thoughts in how to commit murder without getting caught and without having the ability to kill another person.

In short, i dont think crazed rapist lunatic killers are deterred by the death penalty as they clearly have no reasonable thought but it is a deterrent to someone who is calculating, methodical and in hiring another to kill shows signs of reasonable thought to which the thought of the death penalty may deter them from actually acting.

But there are 2 types of deterrrents considered for criminal crimes.

One is general deterrent - someone who is considering on hiring someone to kill their husband and child may hear this news and be deterred from following through.

The second is specific detterent - you put a murdered to death, that specific murder will never murder again. although imo specific deterrent shouldnt really be considered in death penalty cases, it should be applied to crimes like DUI etc where if you punish someone hard enough the 1st or 2nd time on a DUI, that specific driver may be deterred from driving drunk in the future.

either way, isnt anyone who can kill another human being mentally incompetent? The act alone is evidence of crazy.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Teresa Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Good. She hired people to kill others. If she's smart enough to do that, she's smart enough to know it's wrong. And she's dangerous enough of a human being for me to feel not the least bit bad about seeing her die.
what he said....put her down!
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: close to the edge
Posts: 3,985
Re: Teresa Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Problem with the death penality is that they allow it to drag on too long. If your 100% sure they did the crime then convict them and fry them while its still news. I don't even remember this case so how does it act as a deterrent.
if someone is currently thinking of hiring someone to kill their spouse, reading today's news may deter them from going thru with it.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 86,122
Re: Teresa Lewis

If someone is crazy enough to actually consider hiring someone to off someone, I doubt a newspaper headline is going to really deter them all that much.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,830
Re: Teresa Lewis

Does anybody think that the threat of punishment (through our justice system) up to and including death for a crime you might commit is.....NOT a deterrant?
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 13,579
Re: Teresa Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
if someone is currently thinking of hiring someone to kill their spouse, reading today's news may deter them from going thru with it.
your post above was cool, good stuff to think about. And the posting about "news headlines" not really what my post was about, but think you got that with the response. General topic of crime and punishment.
__________________
“Nobody’s going to be handed a job; not my standpoint, and I know Jay feels that way and I know Bruce feels the same way. You have to earn it. That’s what the NFL is about. Prove to me that you deserve to be on the field,’ and that’s the way it has to be in the NFL.”- McC
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 13,579
Re: Teresa Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
If someone is crazy enough to actually consider hiring someone to off someone, I doubt a newspaper headline is going to really deter them all that much.
lol, ya think
__________________
“Nobody’s going to be handed a job; not my standpoint, and I know Jay feels that way and I know Bruce feels the same way. You have to earn it. That’s what the NFL is about. Prove to me that you deserve to be on the field,’ and that’s the way it has to be in the NFL.”- McC
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #11
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,830
Re: Teresa Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well by what I see for some people its not. Our system is way too soft.
I would concede there are those that cannot be brought back to sanity by any means known. You got your serial killers, mental defectives......Democrats
But for the rest, the threat of punishment keeps all of us from doing all kinds of unlawful stuff.
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #12
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Teresa Lewis

The death penalty is not a good deterrent...the numbers just don't support any claim that it is. If you want to deter people from committing heinous crimes combat poverty and invest more in education.

Some people just deserve to be murked...we just need to admit that to ourselves so we can stop pretending the death penalty is about justice and as means to deter others...it's pure unadulterated eye-poking revenge.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #13
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 41
Posts: 5,301
Re: Teresa Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
I would concede there are those that cannot be brought back to sanity by any means known. You got your serial killers, mental defectives......Democrats
But for the rest, the threat of punishment keeps all of us from doing all kinds of unlawful stuff.
I don't know if I agree with that. I think the vast majority of people don't do unlawful stuff because we know it's wrong -- you know, the Golden Rule. I wouldn't steal from someone not because I might get locked up, but because I wouldn't want anyone stealing from me.

I guess it all depends upon your outlook of human nature. I think most people are generally good.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #14
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,830
Re: Teresa Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
I don't know if I agree with that. I think the vast majority of people don't do unlawful stuff because we know it's wrong -- you know, the Golden Rule. I wouldn't steal from someone not because I might get locked up, but because I wouldn't want anyone stealing from me.

I guess it all depends upon your outlook of human nature. I think most people are generally good.
I should have been more specific. Most of society would, as you say tow the line because that is what "they should do". I really refer to those who are so inclined to livin' on the edge and the only reason they don't go all in is fear of doin' time or worse.
I think it is demonstrated on the occasions that we have rioting in the states in this place or that. It is generally accompanied by looting as the chance of getting caught and punished greatly reduced.
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #15
MVP
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 10,064
Re: Teresa Lewis

I think the history of the world is scattered with loads of evidence that humans in general do anything and everything up to and including what they are ALLOWED to do. I find the notion that society in general is not deterred by lawful punishment to be silly. Of course it does. Humans are animals. We all fight for self survival..self interest. Every single thing we do is in our own self-interest. Without clear lines defined by laws and enforced through deterrents people in general would abuse the rights of others. Maybe A person could act with others in mind but give me a hundred people and most of them would go crazy.

Note: this is not a pontification on the deterrence offered by the death penalty...I generally agree it doesn't deter anything at all. The rate of deterrence is probably very variable and defined by the nature of the potential crime and the nature of the potential punishment. I bet we'd have a lot less people speeding if we killed them for it.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28934 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25