Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Updated Title: World Revolution 2011

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #211
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Updated Title: World Revolution 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSkin View Post
Must have been a typo Angry, but were you referring to Desert Fox in December of 1998 instead of OIF in 2008?
Yes, it was a typo, I was referring to Intrinsic Action 98-03, "Operation Desert Fox".

Thanks TOP!
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #212
Special Teams
 
BuckSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio
Age: 46
Posts: 232
Re: Updated Title: World Revolution 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Yes, it was a typo, I was referring to Intrinsic Action 98-03, "Operation Desert Fox".

Thanks TOP!
I just needed to ensure that the dossier that I am putting together on you contains the correct information.
__________________
"Any Nation willing to give up a little freedom, to gain a little security, will deserve neither, and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin
BuckSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #213
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Updated Title: World Revolution 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSkin View Post
I just needed to ensure that the dossier that I am putting together on you contains the correct information.
Now why in the world would you want to do something like that? Why dont I just send you a copy of my old ERB or DD-214?
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #214
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,693
Re: Updated Title: World Revolution 2011

Looks like Syria could be going tits up soon too.
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #215
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Updated Title: World Revolution 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
So now after 9 days Obama is addressing the American people on his illegal war for oil. So far he has said bla, bla, bla.
Really dude? Come on.

Look, as everyone on here knows, I'm no fan of Obama (seems like a cool guy, but I don't care for his politics at all), but I think we're absolutely doing the right thing here, and I think for the most part we're approaching it the right way.

I actually liked his speech tonight better than any I've heard him give since being elected.

We had to help with some kind of intervention in Lybia, we took the lead to get the no-fly established, now we're backing off and handing it over to NATO on Wednesday and will continue to support, but not lead the op, and no ground troops will be involved. A measured, sound decision IMO.

My only issue is we have no stated end-game, but then again this whole thing is only 4 weeks old, so stay tuned.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #216
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Updated Title: World Revolution 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well it seem we are learing who these rebals are. AL-QAEDA and think Obama is thinking about arming them.
Where'd you hear that from? No government official has confirmed that. Secretary Clinton, Susan Rice, Joint Chiefs - none of them, to my knowledge, have floated the idea that the rebels are in cahoots with al-Qaeda. And while it's reasonable to believe that elements of al-Qaeda are in the mix, I don't think this movement in Libya was engineered or led by them. Since when have al-Qaeda used protesting as a means to get their point across and greated an American pilot with open arms? And with my very limited knowledge of the situation, I'm sure they aren't just sittng around waiting for America to give them weapons, they've been very capable of acquiring them in the past.

The truth is these organic uprisings are stealing al-Qaeda's thunder and sending a strong message that regimes can be overthrown through other means besides violence and terrorism.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #217
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,525
Re: Updated Title: World Revolution 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well it seem we are learing who these rebals are. AL-QAEDA and think Obama is thinking about arming them.
Osama bin Laden was allegedly among the recipients of U.S. arms,[15] although this view has been disputed.[16][17][18][19]
Under Reagan, U.S. support for the mujahideen evolved into an official U.S. foreign policy, known as the Reagan Doctrine, which included U.S. support for anti-Soviet movements in Afghanistan, Angola, Nicaragua, and elsewhere.[20] Ronald Reagan praised mujahideen as "freedom fighters".
first, what do you think about this?
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #218
Special Teams
 
BuckSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio
Age: 46
Posts: 232
Re: Updated Title: World Revolution 2011

It may of just been an oversight, put you omitted the preceding wiki-paragraph.
The mujahideen were significantly financed and armed (and are alleged to have been trained) by the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) during the administrations of Carter and Reagan, and also by Saudi Arabia, Pakistan under Zia-ul-Haq, Iran, the People's Republic of China and several Western European countries. Pakistan's secret service, Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), was used as an intermediary for most of these activities to disguise the sources of support for the resistance.
__________________
"Any Nation willing to give up a little freedom, to gain a little security, will deserve neither, and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin
BuckSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #219
Special Teams
 
BuckSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio
Age: 46
Posts: 232
Re: Updated Title: World Revolution 2011

There was no doubt in my mind that covert ops were going on behind the scenes long before any nation flew the first sortie. It's simply not smart, regardless of your idealogical opinion, to engage your opponent without reliable intelligence on the ground. There are likely tarristsis (GWB's word not mine)fighting with the Libyian resistance, but after the past few years you must realize they also wear the same uniform I do.
__________________
"Any Nation willing to give up a little freedom, to gain a little security, will deserve neither, and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin
BuckSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #220
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,347
Re: Updated Title: World Revolution 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
Osama bin Laden was allegedly among the recipients of U.S. arms,[15] although this view has been disputed.[16][17][18][19]
Under Reagan, U.S. support for the mujahideen evolved into an official U.S. foreign policy, known as the Reagan Doctrine, which included U.S. support for anti-Soviet movements in Afghanistan, Angola, Nicaragua, and elsewhere.[20] Ronald Reagan praised mujahideen as "freedom fighters".
first, what do you think about this?
Reagan was out to destroy the USSR, my enemy's enemy is my friend, is simply what was at play there. Reagan's support of the mujahideen in Afghanistan brought tremendous "bang for the buck" in terms of hurting the USSR financially and militarily, with minimal risk to US military personnel (not including covert ops folks of course).

I'm not sure what the correlation with Reagan's actions vs. Obama's actions is. Outside of taking out Gaddafi, which as I mentioned before could be fairly easily accomplished with an "off-course" cruise missle or a covert op assist to the rebels, what is our goal here? What are we accomplishing in the sense of a Mid East or global strategy? I think arming the rebels sends a very bad message and is the wrong thing to do. Again as I mentioned before, we need to get to the background of this quickly and let NATO, the Arab League, the French or Brits take point on this one.

If this was Iran and we're talking about arming rebels against that regime, maybe there's an end-game that benefits US interests a great deal and it's worth the risk (but I certainly don't do it publicly). In Libya, I don't see it.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #221
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 13,511
Re: Updated Title: World Revolution 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Libyan opposition includes a small number of al-Qaeda fighters, U.S. officials say - The Washington Post

And can anyone explain why the US would confirm or leak that we did have CIA agents in Libya? Would that not put them in more danger?
agree, that about as idoitic as a Vice President authorizing a leak of a CIA agent. Very stoopid, just doesnt make sense
__________________
“Nobody’s going to be handed a job; not my standpoint, and I know Jay feels that way and I know Bruce feels the same way. You have to earn it. That’s what the NFL is about. Prove to me that you deserve to be on the field,’ and that’s the way it has to be in the NFL.”- McC
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #222
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Updated Title: World Revolution 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Reagan was out to destroy the USSR, my enemy's enemy is my friend, is simply what was at play there. Reagan's support of the mujahideen in Afghanistan brought tremendous "bang for the buck" in terms of hurting the USSR financially and militarily, with minimal risk to US military personnel (not including covert ops folks of course).

I'm not sure what the correlation with Reagan's actions vs. Obama's actions is. Outside of taking out Gaddafi, which as I mentioned before could be fairly easily accomplished with an "off-course" cruise missle or a covert op assist to the rebels, what is our goal here? What are we accomplishing in the sense of a Mid East or global strategy? I think arming the rebels sends a very bad message and is the wrong thing to do. Again as I mentioned before, we need to get to the background of this quickly and let NATO, the Arab League, the French or Brits take point on this one.

If this was Iran and we're talking about arming rebels against that regime, maybe there's an end-game that benefits US interests a great deal and it's worth the risk (but I certainly don't do it publicly). In Libya, I don't see it.
Looks like we are taking more of a back seat role. I like.

In addition to pulling combat aircraft out of Libya mission, Navy missiles also put on standby | StarTribune.com
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #223
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Updated Title: World Revolution 2011

I don't think leaking the CIA being on the ground is a bad thing. I assume it's more of message and warning to Ghadaffy's inner circle more than a direct threat to him.

We have to take this guy out one way or another.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #224
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,347
Re: Updated Title: World Revolution 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Agree.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #225
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Updated Title: World Revolution 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
So will we now go into Yemen? I mean if we have now set the standard what will it do if we let the Yemen government kills its people like they are now doing? If we allow it to go on will we not make enemies of the people we decide to to defend?

Troops open fire on Yemeni protesters - World news - Mideast/N. Africa - msnbc.com
Did you happen to see the President's speech about this very thing? If you have the time check it out. I would say let the president explain his position and not the pundits who are putting words in his mouth. He's pretty clear about it.

Anyway, Yemen is a somewhat different situation.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32697 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25