Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Potential Government Shut Down

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 02:36 AM   #91
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,936
Re: Potential Government Shut Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First I should say that I am no lover of the American military. I think we are an overly warlike people who only harm ourselves with our wildly inflated military budget. That said, such is not the fault of those who serve in the military. It is a large-scale social and psychological issue.

Soldiers are not like other government workers. They sacrifice their safety and peace of mind for a paycheck which often is not large.

If we don't pay them, then they sacrifice their safety for nothing. That is not fair. And this issue of fairness does not apply to other government workers like me who are not in harm's way.
I'm not talking about faults here. The point is they are part of the government and as such one can not discriminate on their behalf while screwing other government workers. It's a matter of equal protection for all government workers. Somehow this concept is lost or purposefully neglected.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-09-2011, 02:45 AM   #92
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,936
Re: Potential Government Shut Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
I thought so.
I am quite sure you are worth your handsome salary…AND more. I would like to point that there are those that protect your right to earn it, in far away lands. People who protect your freedom and your safety in general. They do so everyday with their blood and sometimes their lives. To generalize their position as equivalent with that of the postal worker or Federal office worker seems somewhat disrespectful and thankless.
HTTR
No respect intended to the Postman or office people as well!
Please read more carefully...the inability to get paid and pay your bills is equal regardless who you believe to be performing a more important work.

One of the problems with North Korea is that the military dictatorships gets to eat before the people. That is to say they are more important than the general public.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #93
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,698
Re: Potential Government Shut Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I'm not talking about faults here. The point is they are part of the government and as such one can not discriminate on their behalf while screwing other government workers. It's a matter of equal protection for all government workers. Somehow this concept is lost or purposefully neglected.
I perfectly understand your equal protection argument. You may apply "equal protection" when government workers take equal personal risk on behalf of those who are served. On this basis I would find it immoral if the government had shut down, depriving government workers of wages, while members of Congress continued to draw paychecks.

But military and nonmilitary workers do not take equal risks. Risks have to be balanced with rewards. Therefore the equal protection argument is nullified. Besides, there is an issue of compassion. Military families already have to worry about whether Daddy will come home; to deprive them of their wages in such a situation is just downright mean-spirited.

I am a government worker with a non-military job. I would have no problem if the government shut down, depriving me of wages, but the military still got paid. I don't take the risks that others do so I shouldn't be entitled to the same rewards.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.

Last edited by Lotus; 04-09-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #94
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Potential Government Shut Down

So with all that the best they could do was to cut 37 billion. I know thats allot of money but not when you compare it to the size of their budget. Its like us cutting a few dollars off our budget. We have a bunch of chicken shits running this country who's only concern is re election. so to them the only thing I have to say is.


firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #95
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Potential Government Shut Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I perfectly understand your equal protection argument. You may apply "equal protection" when government workers take equal personal risk on behalf of those who are served. On this basis I would find it immoral if the government had shut down, depriving government workers of wages, while members of Congress continued to draw paychecks.

But military and nonmilitary workers do not take equal risks. Risks have to be balanced with rewards. Therefore the equal protection argument is nullified. Besides, there is an issue of compassion. Military families already have to worry about whether Daddy will come home; to deprive them of their wages in such a situation is just downright mean-spirited.

I am a government worker with a non-military job. I would have no problem if the government shut down, depriving me of wages, but the military still got paid. I don't take the risks that others do so I shouldn't be entitled to the same rewards.
This. Very good post.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #96
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,936
Re: Potential Government Shut Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I perfectly understand your equal protection argument. You may apply "equal protection" when government workers take equal personal risk on behalf of those who are served. On this basis I would find it immoral if the government had shut down, depriving government workers of wages, while members of Congress continued to draw paychecks.

But military and nonmilitary workers do not take equal risks. Risks have to be balanced with rewards. Therefore the equal protection argument is nullified. Besides, there is an issue of compassion. Military families already have to worry about whether Daddy will come home; to deprive them of their wages in such a situation is just downright mean-spirited.

I am a government worker with a non-military job. I would have no problem if the government shut down, depriving me of wages, but the military still got paid. I don't take the risks that others do so I shouldn't be entitled to the same rewards.

You will be alright I'm sure, I wonder if the secretaries and janitors will be. There are a lot of low level government employees who will be hurting and I'm not interested in depriving them of a paycheck while paying military personal. The financial troubles of this country is partly due to the isolation of the military from any cuts and babying them at every turn in budgetary matters while throwing other government employees under the bus. Fck that!
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #97
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,936
Re: Potential Government Shut Down

Great work by Obama et al. They didn't blink and the republicans folded...now everyone is going to get paid for one more week. Until next Friday...let's hope republicans are more successful in shutting down the government.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #98
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,698
Re: Potential Government Shut Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
You will be alright I'm sure, I wonder if the secretaries and janitors will be. There are a lot of low level government employees who will be hurting and I'm not interested in depriving them of a paycheck while paying military personal. The financial troubles of this country is partly due to the isolation of the military from any cuts and babying them at every turn in budgetary matters while throwing other government employees under the bus. Fck that!
1) Actually you have no idea what my financial situation is. Further, the secretaries and janitors which you mention are my colleagues and friends, so I'm quite sure that I know their lives better than you do. Making an argument based on personal finances of which you are ignorant is fallacious.

2) Your complaint about isolating the military from other cuts is a good one. As I said above, I advocate a drastic reduction in our military budget. But that is a systemic problem which requires changes in large-scale planning and financial infrastructure. Not paying military families in the short term, as you have advocated, does nothing to bring about this overall, long-term planning and infrastructure change.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #99
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,936
Re: Potential Government Shut Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
1) Actually you have no idea what my financial situation is. Further, the secretaries and janitors which you mention are my colleagues and friends, so I'm quite sure that I know their lives better than you do. Making an argument based on personal finances of which you are ignorant is fallacious.

2) Your complaint about isolating the military from other cuts is a good one. As I said above, I advocate a drastic reduction in our military budget. But that is a systemic problem which requires changes in large-scale planning and financial infrastructure. Not paying military families in the short term, as you have advocated, does nothing to bring about this overall, long-term planning and infrastructure change.
LOOL, you are the one who said you wouldn't have a problem with depriving you of wages. Do read your posts or I'm I supposed to read a certain way?

Absolutely it does bring about change. The next time there is a threat of a shutdown the president will have more leverage. Kudos to obama for setting a precedence.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #100
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,936
Re: Potential Government Shut Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
1) Actually you have no idea what my financial situation is. Further, the secretaries and janitors which you mention are my colleagues and friends, so I'm quite sure that I know their lives better than you do. Making an argument based on personal finances of which you are ignorant is fallacious.

2) Your complaint about isolating the military from other cuts is a good one. As I said above, I advocate a drastic reduction in our military budget. But that is a systemic problem which requires changes in large-scale planning and financial infrastructure. Not paying military families in the short term, as you have advocated, does nothing to bring about this overall, long-term planning and infrastructure change.
Furthermore you have no idea who I known and don't know and whether I know secretaries/janitors and thier financial situation. So for you assume I don't know anything while accusing me of assuming things is absurd.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #101
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,698
Re: Potential Government Shut Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
LOOL, you are the one who said you wouldn't have a problem with depriving you of wages. Do read your posts or I'm I supposed to read a certain way?

Absolutely it does bring about change. The next time there is a threat of a shutdown the president will have more leverage. Kudos to obama for setting a precedence.
1) Yes, I said that I would not have a problem with being deprived of wages while military families get paid. Nothing that I said above contradicted that. You still have no idea how much hardship that would or would not bring to me.

But you failed to understand my point so let me put things differently: I am a government worker. You are not. So don't lecture me on the life of a government worker. Shall I lecture you on what it is like to live in Seattle?

2) No, a short-term solution does not bring about long-term structural change. Only long-term solutions do. This point is not difficult to grasp.

It is not as hard to admit that you are wrong as you make it out to be.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #102
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: Potential Government Shut Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
It is not as hard to admit that you are wrong as you make it out to be.
Well done Lotus. However, I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening. LOL
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #103
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Potential Government Shut Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Great work by Obama et al. They didn't blink and the republicans folded...now everyone is going to get paid for one more week. Until next Friday...let's hope republicans are more successful in shutting down the government.
Was it not Boehner who closed the deal? Aren't the $38.5B in cuts more than what was expected? Not sure I'd be congratulatiing Obama for this one. Personally I'm happy both sides were able to work together.

John Boehner closes the deal to avoid government shutdown - John Bresnahan and Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #104
Special Teams
 
BuckSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio
Age: 45
Posts: 232
Re: Potential Government Shut Down

Wow! Going through this banter going back and forth I want to point out that the Gentleman from Seattle is the personification of an oxy-moron. An Elitist-Socialist. Never thought I'd witness that.
__________________
"Any Nation willing to give up a little freedom, to gain a little security, will deserve neither, and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin
BuckSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #105
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,936
Re: Potential Government Shut Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
1) Yes, I said that I would not have a problem with being deprived of wages while military families get paid. Nothing that I said above contradicted that. You still have no idea how much hardship that would or would not bring to me.

But you failed to understand my point so let me put things differently: I am a government worker. You are not. So don't lecture me on the life of a government worker. Shall I lecture you on what it is like to live in Seattle?

2) No, a short-term solution does not bring about long-term structural change. Only long-term solutions do. This point is not difficult to grasp.

It is not as hard to admit that you are wrong as you make it out to be.
I don't know what hardship is and I can't possibly know what it is like to be a low level government employee? That's all you got? You have no clue what you are talking about so there is no reason to admit I am wrong.

So weak, so rubbish of a post.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.55984 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25