Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 12:58 AM   #61
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,974
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

This can not be a state issue as there are interstate matters to consider. Let's also not forget the equal protection is a constructional issue. A same sex married couple should be able to move freely to other states much like married couple of opposite sex.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #62
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Sorry, I don't think this is all that big an issue for the s.c. Sure, there would politics, etc. But these same factors went into Roe v. Wade. Unlike abortion, this is an issue that has been in the public forum for close to a decade.

Further, the SC could simply ratify the "It's a State isssue" standard and do so in a manner that essentially washes their hands of the issue.
Well until the federal gov recognizes gay marraige they have not really accieved anything. I could see this becoming an issue in the next election. So in 30 days they can start to marry and in a few years after that we can watch them start to divorce and hate each other. How many of these relationships have stayed together because they had the common cause to fight for this right? They now get the right and one night look over at their partner and wonder WTF have I done.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #63
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I have four employees who are openly gay, and they went to the pride celebrations in DC a few weeks back. It's a great showing of solidarity for the gay community, and they had a wonderful time and garner from it a strong sense of identity. I think it's great. I can't imagine how difficult it is as a young adult in high school struggling with your own sexuality while dealing with all the other life challenges high school brings.
As long as you grant the straight employees time off to go to a swimsuit competition or a monster truck rally, I have no issues.


Also, since I don't smoke, can I have a break every hour to do something unproductive as well? Maybe I'll go putt some golf balls down the hallway. Recreational rights, right?


I do have a point to this nonsensical post...there's a fine line between "Equal Rights" and "Special Rights". This issue always brings up the question, what are the gays really after? Sometimes, it does seem like they want "Special Rights" above and beyond what heterosexuals are granted or entitled to.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #64
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,756
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
As long as you grant the straight employees time off to go to a swimsuit competition or a monster truck rally, I have no issues.


Also, since I don't smoke, can I have a break every hour to do something unproductive as well? Maybe I'll go putt some golf balls down the hallway. Recreational rights, right?


I do have a point to this nonsensical post...there's a fine line between "Equal Rights" and "Special Rights". This issue always brings up the question, what are the gays really after? Sometimes, it does seem like they want "Special Rights" above and beyond what heterosexuals are granted or entitled to.
Who said GMScud gave them special rights? He works in restaurant it was probably their day off. IF they are waiters they probably lost money by going to the parade since they missed a shift.

Your post makes you sound like you have a case of "sour grapes".
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #65
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,974
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad
I do have a point to this nonsensical post...there's a fine line between "Equal Rights" and "Special Rights". This issue always brings up the question, what are the gays really after? Sometimes, it does seem like they want "Special Rights" above and beyond what heterosexuals are granted or entitled to.
I am trying to make sense of your sensical post. I want to know what these "Special Rights" are. Are they taking the day off and getting paid for it without taking some vacation time-off? Maybe it's their short notice on taking time off? What special rights are they getting that isn't afforded to you?

Enlighten us Mr. Buster.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #66
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

We ant going to have none of that going on around here.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #67
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Speaking of gay rights.

firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #68
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,756
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I am trying to make sense of your sensical post. I want to know what these "Special Rights" are. Are they taking the day off and getting paid for it without taking some vacation time-off? Maybe it's their short notice on taking time off? What special rights are they getting that isn't afforded to you?

Enlighten us Mr. Buster.
Don't expect a answer once Buster is cornered he becomes very quiet.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #69
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,756
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So why are you asking Dirtbag?

See like this post. Buster got the OP mixed up with Dirtbag but he could never admit that too SS.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #70
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I am trying to make sense of your sensical post. I want to know what these "Special Rights" are. Are they taking the day off and getting paid for it without taking some vacation time-off? Maybe it's their short notice on taking time off? What special rights are they getting that isn't afforded to you?

Enlighten us Mr. Buster.
Not to speak for the guy, but he raises one of the most common points conservatives/members of the far right bring up when opposing gay marriage:

* Please note, this is not my view, just the view that I've heard from republicans on the issue. *

They will say, that gay people are not denied any civil rights to marry. They can get married just like heterosexual people can. They just can't marry members of the same sex -- and neither can heterosexuals. In other words, nobody is being denied any civil rights. They'll say homosexuals are asking for special rights.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #71
Impact Rookie
 
BringBackJoeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Van Ness, Washington D.C.
Posts: 596
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
This can not be a state issue as there are interstate matters to consider. Let's also not forget the equal protection is a constructional issue. A same sex married couple should be able to move freely to other states much like married couple of opposite sex.
There isn't any chance that the current make-up of the Supreme Court is going to find a sufficient connection between interstate commerce and marriage to make this a federal issue that Congress has the authority to make law on. No chance. In fact, I wonder whether even Breyer or Kagan would buy that argument. (The fact that NY stands to attract additional tourism, as some news stories have suggested, won't be enough). Second, equal protection might be invoked, but the argument would fare only slightly better than the first. If you're being discriminated against under a state law, and you are not alleging discrimination based on race or religious affiliation, the deck is stacked against you. In the Sup. ct. decision that struck down the Texas law that banned homosexual sex, O'Connor wrote a concurring opinion that the Texas law violated the EP clause. She was the only justice who believed that. And with regard to the constitutional right to travel being violated by the denial of same-sex partners to marry, that's kinda weak.

I'd like to see the NY story played out all over the country, but marriage equality ain't going to be delivered by the Supremes.
__________________
Super Trouper lights are gonna find me. Shining like the sun. Smiling having fun. Feeling like a number one.
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #72
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Not to speak for the guy, but he raises one of the most common points conservatives/members of the far right bring up when opposing gay marriage:

* Please note, this is not my view, just the view that I've heard from republicans on the issue. *

They will say, that gay people are not denied any civil rights to marry. They can get married just like heterosexual people can. They just can't marry members of the same sex -- and neither can heterosexuals. In other words, nobody is being denied any civil rights. They'll say homosexuals are asking for special rights.


I swear I have never heard that point of view. It makes sense.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #73
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,728
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
See like this post. Buster got the OP mixed up with Dirtbag but he could never admit that too SS.
Smootsmack is to Dirtbag what Dave Semenko was to Wayne Gretzky. Hey look at all this extra room I have to skate.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #74
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,879
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Smootsmack is to Dirtbag what Dave Semenko was to Wayne Gretzky. Hey look at all this extra room I have to skate.
Que??
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #75
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackJoeT View Post
There isn't any chance that the current make-up of the Supreme Court is going to find a sufficient connection between interstate commerce and marriage to make this a federal issue that Congress has the authority to make law on. No chance. In fact, I wonder whether even Breyer or Kagan would buy that argument. (The fact that NY stands to attract additional tourism, as some news stories have suggested, won't be enough). Second, equal protection might be invoked, but the argument would fare only slightly better than the first. If you're being discriminated against under a state law, and you are not alleging discrimination based on race or religious affiliation, the deck is stacked against you. In the Sup. ct. decision that struck down the Texas law that banned homosexual sex, O'Connor wrote a concurring opinion that the Texas law violated the EP clause. She was the only justice who believed that. And with regard to the constitutional right to travel being violated by the denial of same-sex partners to marry, that's kinda weak.

I'd like to see the NY story played out all over the country, but marriage equality ain't going to be delivered by the Supremes.
agreed.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.37489 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25