Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #76
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
gay/lesbian people cant get married in maryland? kinda of a pain in the ass .
boom!
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #77
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,597
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Unt now you all hav vergotten that das achternate lifenstile jokes are verbotten!
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #78
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,261
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

A interesting story considering the repeal of Dont Ask Dont Tell and same-sex marriage being illegal at the Federal level:

Three Marines in San Diego ousted for sham marriages - latimes.com

You know, the only reason the Federal government cares about marriage, gay marriage, or no marriage is tax related..... If everyone were taxed the same, say at 9% income rate and a 9% consumption rate, it wouldnt matter if people were married or not, or who they were or wernt married to. How crazy would that be???
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #79
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: close to the edge
Posts: 3,813
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
im going to a lesbian wedding in NYC at the end of this month. It was originally planned for vancouver but was changed to NYC.

gay/lesbian people cant get married in maryland? kinda of a pain in the ass to have to go up to NYC and rooms at alil over 200 bucks which really isnt bad for time square weekend but its still going to be a 500 weekend with all costs included.
rooms actually at 309. thinking of either getting a cheaper hotel room in princeton or just limiting the alcohol consumption and driving back home. sleeping in the car is out since the ladys pregers, doubt she would crash in the car anyway . .freakin spoiled princess. \

maryland ban = more drunk drivers on the road. way to go ultra conservative weirdos. ironically i went to a wedding in amish country this past weekend.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #80
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,261
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

^ I went to a wedding in Princeton less than a month ago and stayed at the Westin. It was the nicest hotel ive ever been in. I lied and said it was just me and the total came to $100 give or take a dollar. It was like 15 dollars more for a second person and you get a free breakfast for each person in your room, which would be the primary incentive to say 2 people. BUT the free breakfast was a complete scam. It was sit down only with about 15 tables and the wait was like an hour and a half, people were going NUTS in the lobby.
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #81
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 30
Posts: 4,220
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

i almost mistakenly created a new thread. this is a major issue to me:
all americans need to have equal rights. that's the biggest fish that needs to be fried. i didn't chose to be heterosexual, yet i can marry my girlfriend. why can't everyone have that right? that's like saying a black man can't marry his girlfriend. it's insane that we talk about other issues while this is still unresolved.
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #82
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 52
Posts: 9,115
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

I got no problem with it. Except: It shouldn't be called "marriage" not for hetero or homo sexuals. It's a contract pure and simple. Although originally called a marriage contract that term is outdated and has created an unneccesary blurring of the lines between church and state (for example: when he performs a marriage, completes and signs the marriage license, my priest signs as an officer of the State of Maryland).

Constitutional equal protection, to me, requires that anyone entering into the same promises and obligations associated with two people entering into a permanent shared living arrangement and that have been traditionally known as a "marriage contract" should receive the same benefits, under the law, as anyone else. You make the same legally binding promises, accept the same legally binding obligations, you get the same benefits and penalties as everyone else. Rename it a civil union contract, have the legal obligations set out (i.e. Party A promises to do x, y & z, Party B promises likewise) and have it properly witnessed and notorized by a court official.

If your church doesn't want to perform the sacrament of marriage, fine. The state shouldn't have any say in that. It is then up to you whether to belong to that religious institution or not. Further, I would have no problem with the State saying "if, as part of a religious ceremony, the parties agree to x, y, & z, and proof of that is provided to the appropriate State official, then no separate civil form is required to evidence the civil union contract". Church's would then be free to incorporate the State legal requirements into their sacramental services. If they chose not to do so, then participants simply have to fill out the forms at city hall.

Give unto Ceasar that which is Ceasar's, give unto God that which is God's.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #83
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I got no problem with it. Except: It shouldn't be called "marriage" not for hetero or homo sexuals. It's a contract pure and simple. Although originally called a marriage contract that term is outdated and has created an unneccesary blurring of the lines between church and state (for example: when he performs a marriage, completes and signs the marriage license, my priest signs as an officer of the State of Maryland).

Constitutional equal protection, to me, requires that anyone entering into the same promises and obligations associated with two people entering into a permanent shared living arrangement and that have been traditionally known as a "marriage contract" should receive the same benefits, under the law, as anyone else. You make the same legally binding promises, accept the same legally binding obligations, you get the same benefits and penalties as everyone else. Rename it a civil union contract, have the legal obligations set out (i.e. Party A promises to do x, y & z, Party B promises likewise) and have it properly witnessed and notorized by a court official.

If your church doesn't want to perform the sacrament of marriage, fine. The state shouldn't have any say in that. It is then up to you whether to belong to that religious institution or not. Further, I would have no problem with the State saying "if, as part of a religious ceremony, the parties agree to x, y, & z, and proof of that is provided to the appropriate State official, then no separate civil form is required to evidence the civil union contract". Church's would then be free to incorporate the State legal requirements into their sacramental services. If they chose not to do so, then participants simply have to fill out the forms at city hall.

Give unto Ceasar that which is Ceasar's, give unto God that which is God's.
You're just playing word games. Over time, the roles of men and women within marriage have changed. Social views on multiple wives, interracial relations, and divorce have changed. Legal rules regulating everything from the treatment of children and division of property to the grounds for divorce have changed. If you want to qualify and classify what marriage is that is your prerogative, just don't expect us not to keep evolving and keep it moving.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #84
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
So if we allow same sex marriage we can also have multiple wifes? Hell yea!! I'll sign that petition.
The idea of having multiple wives isn't absurd...it use to go on, it still goes on around the world. Maybe if men could have multiple wives the divorce rate in this country would be so high?

And no, the idea of marrying your dog is idiotic and absurd.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #85
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,471
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
You're just playing word games. Over time, the roles of men and women within marriage have changed. Social views on multiple wives, interracial relations, and divorce have changed. Legal rules regulating everything from the treatment of children and division of property to the grounds for divorce have changed. If you want to qualify and classify what marriage is that is your prerogative, just don't expect us not to keep evolving and keep it moving.


/thread


Hammer meet nail head.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #86
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 52
Posts: 9,115
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
You're just playing word games. Over time, the roles of men and women within marriage have changed. Social views on multiple wives, interracial relations, and divorce have changed. Legal rules regulating everything from the treatment of children and division of property to the grounds for divorce have changed. If you want to qualify and classify what marriage is that is your prerogative, just don't expect us not to keep evolving and keep it moving.
I guess. I thought my "word games" were doing just that. Separating the religion from the secular. Ultimately, you're right - civil union, marriage, title it what you wish - as far as the state is concerned it's still a legally binding contract. My only thought was to clarify the distinction between church and state in this particular contract and the role each played in it.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #87
Fire Bruce NOW
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,425
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
So if we allow same sex marriage we can also have multiple wifes? Hell yea!! I'll sign that petition.
Goodness no...for those with troublesome wives, why multiply the trouble?
__________________
Bruce Allen when in charge alone: 4-12 (.250)
Bruce Allen's overall Redskins record : 28-52 (.350)
Vinny Cerrato's record when in charge alone: 52-65 (.444)
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #88
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Goodness no...for those with troublesome wives, why multiply the trouble?
And in fairness what about all those progressive wimmin what want more than one husbind, we'd have to accomodate them 'un's too....
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #89
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 30
Posts: 4,220
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

let's make sure everyone has the right to be married before we start nitpicking. that's the big picture
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #90
Fire Bruce NOW
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,425
Re: Same-Sex Marriage!! Your Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
let's make sure everyone has the right to be married before we start nitpicking. that's the big picture
I couldn't agree more with the point that you are making in this thread.
__________________
Bruce Allen when in charge alone: 4-12 (.250)
Bruce Allen's overall Redskins record : 28-52 (.350)
Vinny Cerrato's record when in charge alone: 52-65 (.444)
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32070 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25