Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


US Credit Rating Downgraded To AA+

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #76
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Re: US Credit Rating Downgraded To AA+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I guess to them, I am not a tea partier by any stretch but I do agree with some fundamental philosophy, the debt ceiling was representative of what they feel the issue has been--the willingness to continue spending money into the future that we don't have now and likely won't have then. Ultimately it was a tool for them to start twisting the Washington establishment away from the destructive policies of the past and present. The culture of our governing few is busted and it is going to take cracking that culture in half to start making the right decisions for this country. It isn't something that can be effectively changed over a long and slow process. It is going to need a shock to make it happen most likely. Until the system is changed so that the hard decisions are actually made instead of them PRETENDING to make hard decisions (but really just masking the same old same old) I applaud anyone who goes to Washington and holds it hostage.

Example number 1. Social Security. We can't afford it. We can't afford it now and we can't afford in the future. At least not without it changing so much that it isn't even the same thing any more. Yet no one in Washington does a damn thing about really CHANGING it or simply getting rid of it. Why? Because instead of making a hard but correct decision they all engage in group think to stay elected. I don't know about anyone else but when it comes down to it I pay for food, water, electricity and a host of other necessities before I start dropping a bunch of money into my retirement. But our gov't has been saying for decades "Screw that! We can pay for everything all at once even without the cash to do it! Future generations be damned!". Well guess what, the "future generation" is here and a lot of us are f*cking pissed about it.
Let's not pretend the tea party is a voice reason. Their solution consists of cut spending and cut taxes after all. These numbnuts have no problem brining the bacon back home either.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #77
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,914
Re: US Credit Rating Downgraded To AA+

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Let's not pretend the tea party is a voice reason. Their solution consists of cut spending and cut taxes after all. These numbnuts have no problem brining the bacon back home either.
Their solution is far and away better than anyone elses in my opinion. Anything that doesn't involve actually stopping spending that we can't afford is useless. Third-rail spending or not.

The question of taxes is such a sh*t issue. I'm pretty tired of people wanting the gov't do do everything but not have taxes.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #78
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Re: US Credit Rating Downgraded To AA+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I guess to them, I am not a tea partier by any stretch but I do agree with some fundamental philosophy, the debt ceiling was representative of what they feel the issue has been--the willingness to continue spending money into the future that we don't have now and likely won't have then. Ultimately it was a tool for them to start twisting the Washington establishment away from the destructive policies of the past and present. The culture of our governing few is busted and it is going to take cracking that culture in half to start making the right decisions for this country. It isn't something that can be effectively changed over a long and slow process. It is going to need a shock to make it happen most likely. Until the system is changed so that the hard decisions are actually made instead of them PRETENDING to make hard decisions (but really just masking the same old same old) I applaud anyone who goes to Washington and holds it hostage.

Example number 1. Social Security. We can't afford it. We can't afford it now and we can't afford in the future. At least not without it changing so much that it isn't even the same thing any more. Yet no one in Washington does a damn thing about really CHANGING it or simply getting rid of it. Why? Because instead of making a hard but correct decision they all engage in group think to stay elected. I don't know about anyone else but when it comes down to it I pay for food, water, electricity and a host of other necessities before I start dropping a bunch of money into my retirement. But our gov't has been saying for decades "Screw that! We can pay for everything all at once even without the cash to do it! Future generations be damned!". Well guess what, the "future generation" is here and a lot of us are f*cking pissed about it.

Bush tried, got trashed by people in his own party and most of the old farts he couldn't sell his idea to are now part of the tea party talking about "I paid into it." And these same Tea Party Republicans got into office by telling their constituents Obama is going to cut your social security, Obama is going to gut Medicare, Obama is going to kill you.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #79
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Re: US Credit Rating Downgraded To AA+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Their solution is far and away better than anyone elses in my opinion. Anything that doesn't involve actually stopping spending that we can't afford is useless. Third-rail spending or not.

The question of taxes is such a sh*t issue. I'm pretty tired of people wanting the gov't do do everything but not have taxes.
How did the vote on the Republican Study Committee budget turnout?

They're peacocking is all. As we have seen from the last decade Tax Cuts can be quite costly especially since they are currently the lowest they have ever been.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #80
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: US Credit Rating Downgraded To AA+

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Bush tried, got trashed by people in his own party and most of the old farts he couldn't sell his idea to are now part of the tea party talking about "I paid into it." And these same Tea Party Republicans got into office by telling their constituents Obama is going to cut your social security, Obama is going to gut Medicare, Obama is going to kill you.
How come the left did not rais hell like this when Clinton cut SS?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #81
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,914
Re: US Credit Rating Downgraded To AA+

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Bush tried, got trashed by people in his own party and most of the old farts he couldn't sell his idea to are now part of the tea party talking about "I paid into it." And these same Tea Party Republicans got into office by telling their constituents Obama is going to cut your social security, Obama is going to gut Medicare, Obama is going to kill you.
Oh I agree. Politics as usual.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #82
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: US Credit Rating Downgraded To AA+

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Bush tried, got trashed by people in his own party and most of the old farts he couldn't sell his idea to are now part of the tea party talking about "I paid into it." And these same Tea Party Republicans got into office by telling their constituents Obama is going to cut your social security, Obama is going to gut Medicare, Obama is going to kill you.
I thought it was the tea party that said we need to reform and cut SS and when I type in tea party and SS thats all I see. I could be wrong.

I'm personally divided on SS. I have so much invested in SS I hate to just give it up but if given the choice I might. I'd have to do the math. I could easly go with some form of buy out program. Where the Feds offer me a small % lump sum if I drop SS.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #83
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: US Credit Rating Downgraded To AA+

Raise taxes and watch what's left of the economy really tank.

"But Beems, the economy IS in the tank" -- If the U.S. economy is a guy about to jump out the window of a tall building, increasing taxes would be like handing him a lit stick of dynamite on his way down.

Last edited by Beemnseven; 08-10-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #84
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: US Credit Rating Downgraded To AA+

I say if the left is so hell bent on raising taxes then raise taxes on everyone and I mean everyone.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #85
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: US Credit Rating Downgraded To AA+

A must watch in my opinion. I almost want Obama to win in 2012 so this guy can be president in 2016 and not have to wait till 2020. Baring a major scandle or if hes smart enough to not want to run he will be president one day:

Sen. Rubio: "Save the Whole House or It Will All Burn Down" - YouTube
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #86
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: US Credit Rating Downgraded To AA+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
A must watch in my opinion. I almost want Obama to win in 2012 so this guy can be president in 2016 and not have to wait till 2020. Baring a major scandle or if hes smart enough to not want to run he will be president one day:

Sen. Rubio: "Save the Whole House or It Will All Burn Down" - YouTube

Rubio will either be on the ticket as Veep in 2012 or run in 2016. He's quietly laying the ground work to be a national player. I don't see why he shouldn't be a serious contender in 2016.

The GOP field will be considerably stronger in 2016.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #87
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: US Credit Rating Downgraded To AA+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
Nice try.

The Bush tax cuts are a massive factor in this awful debt mess.

Get rid of that tremendously stupid tax break for the wealthy.
How anyone could still be defending the Bush tax cuts 10 years later is really beyond me.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #88
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: US Credit Rating Downgraded To AA+

Fitch reaffirms AAA+ rating. So two of the three agencies say we're good to go and remain stable.

Fitch reaffirms 'AAA' rating on US - MarketWatch
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #89
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: US Credit Rating Downgraded To AA+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
How anyone could still be defending the Bush tax cuts 10 years later is really beyond me.
Well if you look at the number the fed income started growing faster then spending after the tax cuts then took a nose dive after the economy went to hell. The argument can be made that the tax cuts spurd spending and by increasing taxes will make thing worse. At this point I have no clue either way.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #90
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: US Credit Rating Downgraded To AA+

Warren Buffet says increase taxes, S&P says let's increase taxes, public opinion says let's increase taxes.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30222 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25