Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Government?

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #61
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,116
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Government?

No reason not to support any cut of government bureaucracy that Obama proposes. As long as it's not tied to even more growth somewhere else. I say take the cut, and prevent expansion everywhere else.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #62
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 8,271
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Government?

Government spending is an ideal that has bi-partisan support. I believe liberals and conservatives both agree that government spending has to be reduced, the difference comes in the details and the programs that you save money by cutting. Regardless, cutting government spending is an incredibly complex and sensitive process. No one will be able to slash the government spending, at least without causing huge ripples in the US economy.

Many of us live in the greater DC metro area. We see how important the government is to many of our jobs. I can’t think of a single friend of mine (about 3 people) that don’t have a job that is somehow connected to the government. Many of them work for private companies that aren’t directly hired by the government, etc. The government indirectly funds a big chunk of our economy.

Since graduating college I’ve been a contractor to three major 3-letter organizations. Each one is run much differently and the past 2.5 years have been where I really start to see some of the political and financial struggles. My current organization actually makes more money than it spends. However, it has to give all of the money it makes to congress for appropriations. We then take a significant amount of grief for the amount of money we get from Congress even though we actually pay into the other agencies.

Within my agency, we have an enterprise wide forum that people are constantly putting in ideas for the organization to implement. A resounding majority are ways that the organization can save money. There’s a constant emphasis put on reducing the amount of tax-payer dollars that are spent on X, Y, and Z. Many of the ideas that were both feasible and realistic have actually been implemented or in the process of being implemented. The government employees are tax payers too. They also want the government to run more efficiently and are hard working people that try to serve the country and keep this country running.

Bureaucracy has a place. Bureaucracy is put in place for a reason. We may not agree with the reasons, and when we see it we wonder why such a terrible, convoluted process is in place. However, when you have organizations the size of the big 3-letter agencies, along with the massive amounts of restrictions on how/when/what/where for everything, it becomes necessary. Bureaucracy plays a part in the following:

- Reducing corruption. It is difficult to just ‘hire your buddy’ in the government. The decision is typically taken to multiple decision makers so that a person/product/service can’t get forced through by one person. It also splits up work so one person, hopefully, doesn’t control all the information in a decision. Obviously, this doesn’t work all the time, but it does work to limit the amount of corruption.

- Create Jobs. Multiple levels of bureaucracy creates both government and private industry jobs. Not really my preferred method, but it is part of the equation.

- Standardize Processes. When you have so many people with different backgrounds, ideals, and thoughts on how something ‘should’ run, you need many processes and guidelines to make sure these radically different personalities come close to running similar outfits. Again, not perfect, but I can’t propose any alternatives that would be as effective.

This was a long way to say… at least it’s a start. I want to see cuts to government spending as well. I don’t want my country to be bankrupt. We all have ideas on the best way to do it, but in the end we all want what’s best for our country. We’re going to need to see compromises from both sides of the aisle to get a more fiscally viable government. The first step is attempting to save money here and there. Enough of these do start to make an eventual difference.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #63
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,378
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Government spending is an ideal that has bi-partisan support. I believe liberals and conservatives both agree that government spending has to be reduced, the difference comes in the details and the programs that you save money by cutting. Regardless, cutting government spending is an incredibly complex and sensitive process. No one will be able to slash the government spending, at least without causing huge ripples in the US economy.

Many of us live in the greater DC metro area. We see how important the government is to many of our jobs. I can’t think of a single friend of mine (about 3 people) that don’t have a job that is somehow connected to the government. Many of them work for private companies that aren’t directly hired by the government, etc. The government indirectly funds a big chunk of our economy.

Since graduating college I’ve been a contractor to three major 3-letter organizations. Each one is run much differently and the past 2.5 years have been where I really start to see some of the political and financial struggles. My current organization actually makes more money than it spends. However, it has to give all of the money it makes to congress for appropriations. We then take a significant amount of grief for the amount of money we get from Congress even though we actually pay into the other agencies.

Within my agency, we have an enterprise wide forum that people are constantly putting in ideas for the organization to implement. A resounding majority are ways that the organization can save money. There’s a constant emphasis put on reducing the amount of tax-payer dollars that are spent on X, Y, and Z. Many of the ideas that were both feasible and realistic have actually been implemented or in the process of being implemented. The government employees are tax payers too. They also want the government to run more efficiently and are hard working people that try to serve the country and keep this country running.

Bureaucracy has a place. Bureaucracy is put in place for a reason. We may not agree with the reasons, and when we see it we wonder why such a terrible, convoluted process is in place. However, when you have organizations the size of the big 3-letter agencies, along with the massive amounts of restrictions on how/when/what/where for everything, it becomes necessary. Bureaucracy plays a part in the following:

- Reducing corruption. It is difficult to just ‘hire your buddy’ in the government. The decision is typically taken to multiple decision makers so that a person/product/service can’t get forced through by one person. It also splits up work so one person, hopefully, doesn’t control all the information in a decision. Obviously, this doesn’t work all the time, but it does work to limit the amount of corruption.

- Create Jobs. Multiple levels of bureaucracy creates both government and private industry jobs. Not really my preferred method, but it is part of the equation.

- Standardize Processes. When you have so many people with different backgrounds, ideals, and thoughts on how something ‘should’ run, you need many processes and guidelines to make sure these radically different personalities come close to running similar outfits. Again, not perfect, but I can’t propose any alternatives that would be as effective.

This was a long way to say… at least it’s a start. I want to see cuts to government spending as well. I don’t want my country to be bankrupt. We all have ideas on the best way to do it, but in the end we all want what’s best for our country. We’re going to need to see compromises from both sides of the aisle to get a more fiscally viable government. The first step is attempting to save money here and there. Enough of these do start to make an eventual difference.


Well said,Bravo!!!
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #64
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,699
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Government?

Suck it Bloomberg!

order your supersizers boys!

Judge halts New York City ban on large sugary drinks - Mar. 11, 2013
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:42 AM   #65
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,621
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Government?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/us...S_PRO_20130514

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Federal investigators secretly seized two months of phone records for reporters and editors of The Associated Press in what the news organization said Monday was a “serious interference with A.P.’s constitutional rights to gather and report the news.”

This is troubling to say the least. So much for the Constitution and due process.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #66
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/us...S_PRO_20130514

This is troubling to say the least. So much for the Constitution and due process.
Not to suggest that the current Administration is the only responsible party, but the metaphorical harness is being slipped on and most people are too comfortable to care.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #67
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Government?

That is utter bullshit.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #68
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 86,117
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
So a few months back I paid our mothly payroll taxes on the IRS web page on the due date. I usually pay them early but this was a very large payment in January to wrap up our 2012 year. Around March I get a bill from the IRS for $329 as a penalty for paying my bill one day late. So i pull the receipt I printed and it shows I paid it on time but then it shows the payment processing date as the following date. WTF, I made the payment on time but because they decide to process it on the following day I get hit with a penalty of that size.

I have worked with the IRS in the past and they have been fair but this time its like I'm talking with a different agency all together. I showed proof it was paid on the due date but the dumb ass people working there keep reading me that stupid line about paying the payroll taxes late and incurring a penalty. I have just lost 2nd appeal and had to send in the payment because of their threats to put a lien against me and my business. I still have to close on our home loan and don't need any issues. Personally I think the Obama Administration is putting preasure on the IRS to collect any taxes they can and F the American people. Even though I paid the bill I'm not goin to stop appealing until I get my money back.
Did you pay it after regular business hours perhaps?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #69
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,621
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
So a few months back I paid our mothly payroll taxes on the IRS web page on the due date. I usually pay them early but this was a very large payment in January to wrap up our 2012 year. Around March I get a bill from the IRS for $329 as a penalty for paying my bill one day late. So i pull the receipt I printed and it shows I paid it on time but then it shows the payment processing date as the following date. WTF, I made the payment on time but because they decide to process it on the following day I get hit with a penalty of that size.

I have worked with the IRS in the past and they have been fair but this time its like I'm talking with a different agency all together. I showed proof it was paid on the due date but the dumb ass people working there keep reading me that stupid line about paying the payroll taxes late and incurring a penalty. I have just lost 2nd appeal and had to send in the payment because of their threats to put a lien against me and my business. I still have to close on our home loan and don't need any issues. Personally I think the Obama Administration is putting preasure on the IRS to collect any taxes they can and F the American people. Even though I paid the bill I'm not goin to stop appealing until I get my money back.

Don't feel bad. I got hit with a $850 "failure to file" fee from the IRS for 2011 taxes. I sent in the return with a 3,600 check. They cashed the check, and didn't file the return. The only reason I knew about the return not filed is they sent a notification this year saying I would lose the $3,600 credit.

Failure all the way around. So now I'll have to call in and ask for them to remove this fee. I seriously doubt they will even though it's their fault. It's a ****ing robbery to say the least.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #70
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,621
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
No it was paid in the middle of the day. I pulled prior receipts and they do process them the following day. I just never really looked because I always paid them early. My problem is that its their process and it was paid on the due date. I should not be hit with a penality because they process payments the following day. The rude service I have received from the people working at the IRS is something I have also never experienced in the past.
It's no different than your tax filing. If the envelope is post marked the date of the tax deadline, it's not late. I don't see why they aren't giving you this credit. It's robbery to say the least.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #71
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,621
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
That's how I feel. Good luck with your issue.
No luck. I'm stuck paying a $897 fee for their stupidity. The IRS can go **** themselves.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #72
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Government?

Guantanamo: Force Feeding

What happened to us being better than them? Isn't that the lie we were force-fed before the first immaculation of The One? I'm not a fan of al Qaeda, but I won't want to my Government doing this either.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #73
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 86,117
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
No it was paid in the middle of the day. I pulled prior receipts and they do process them the following day. I just never really looked because I always paid them early. My problem is that its their process and it was paid on the due date. I should not be hit with a penality because they process payments the following day. The rude service I have received from the people working at the IRS is something I have also never experienced in the past.
They should probably cut you a break, but at the same time if they are up front about the fact payments are processed the following day you're kinda SOL.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #74
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 8,271
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
They should probably cut you a break, but at the same time if they are up front about the fact payments are processed the following day you're kinda SOL.
Yeah, it's rough on that front. I still don't understand why banks can't do instant transactions at this point in life. I learned the hard way paying a bill the day it was due, but it took 3 days to 'process' and I got hit with a late fee because of it.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #75
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 86,117
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Yeah, it's rough on that front. I still don't understand why banks can't do instant transactions at this point in life. I learned the hard way paying a bill the day it was due, but it took 3 days to 'process' and I got hit with a late fee because of it.
Just the way the ACH works I guess.

Automated Clearing House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31212 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25