Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Deepak Chopra v. Michael Shermer

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #31
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,982
Re: Deepak Chopra v. Michael Shermer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
It's one thing to study religion as a sociological construct, quite another to espouse belief. I'm as atheist as they come and I've taken quite a few religion courses... mainly as a means to understanding the craziness that comes out of people's mouths.

I thought you were an avid believer a while back...so much so that you wanted to quite the site. What happened?
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #32
Playmaker
 
BleedBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,471
Re: Deepak Chopra v. Michael Shermer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I thought you were an avid believer a while back...so much so that you wanted to quite the site. What happened?
I was never a believer, in any way shape or form. When I was tempted to quit it was because I felt there wasn't exactly equal footing as far as discussion was concerned, specifically in the off-topic forum. I was wrong, end of story, so I came back. And that's really it.
__________________
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #33
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: Deepak Chopra v. Michael Shermer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I thought you were an avid believer a while back...so much so that you wanted to quite the site. What happened?
I remember that, but I don't think it was BB. Can't think of who it was though.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #34
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,880
Re: Deepak Chopra v. Michael Shermer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Huh? Aristotal didn't use the scientific method, he developed the fundamental princpile of it...empiricism. As for Voltair, he championed elimination of metaphysics in science.


Intellect means wisdom...science is the pursuit of wisdom in all domains, in religion it is the wisdom of God.
Yes, Aristotle did develop the principle of empiricism which is the foundation of modern scientific technique. But he did so using a philosophical, not experimental, method, and in that sense he talked about science but did not practice it. He established his arguments through rhetoric, not through scientific experiment. The question above was about scientific practice or method.

Same argument for Voltaire. He was a philosopher more than scientist. The claim above was strictly about scientists.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.

Last edited by Lotus; 10-12-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #35
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,880
Re: Deepak Chopra v. Michael Shermer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
Conveniently you left off the rest of the statement in brackets, yet again reframing an argument.

The insult washes off, you're obviously too emotionally involved in the discussion to stay on point. I get that a lot from people who imagine they're intellectually superior, particularly those of a religious bent (not to say that you are, Lotus, but I typically talk with moslems and christians on these kinds of topics).

I do appreciate your responses though and would be interested in continuing to explore our differences after the weekend.

Thanks for your time and efforts!
I did not reframe your argument by leaving off the brackets. The counterpoint I made works with brackets included. I have stayed right on topic.

And this is not an emotional argument for me. I am in no way an evangelical Christian.

However, above I presented you with a logical either/or which resides in your arguments. You have not yet told me which side is true.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.23459 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25