Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #181
JUST LIVIN
 
htownskinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: houston,tx
Age: 53
Posts: 3,543
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
One of the first things i thought when i first heard that sandusky was caught and not prosecuted back in 1999 was what the hell was the DA thinking and that the DA needs to lose his job asap. At a minimum you bring charges against someone you think is a pedophile even if you dont think you can get a conviction for whatever reason. After reading this article about the DA and hearing the rumors of sandusky pimping out kids i dont know what to think what else could have been going on . I mean the investigation started more than 2 years ago in secrecy and you have to think that investigators would follow up on any rumor no matter how slight in order to bust a child sex ring or other pedophiles. But you have MASSIVE cover up at PSU and The Second Mile and even at the DAs office. You have to think a lot of these people where either paid off with money or jobs, or were pedophiles themselves. Also the families of these kids were probably bought too.
I could have sworn I had heard this DA dissapeared years ago and no one knows what happened to him
__________________
Ho
Lee
Chit
htownskinfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #182
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 34
Posts: 2,836
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

It's certainly been a devastating few days for the Penn State community. Like many Penn Staters I started out willing to give Paterno every possible benefit of the doubt, and I tried to do that. As more facts have come out it has become impossible to, even construing the facts in the light most favorable to Paterno, excuse his actions, to come up with any justification that holds water. He fell so short of the moral example the he seemed for so long to stand for that his firing was necessary, and he deserves the ignominy and the complete implosion of his entire legacy that will now follow. And once you take that step, once you realize that maybe this guy isn't what we all thought, the turn is swift and fierce. I've taken that step, but please understand that not all students and community members have. Humans are capable of engaging in extraordinary lengths of delusion when they really, really want to believe something. Religion is a good example of this. Rationalists like me scratch their heads as the world's religions compel seemingly sane people to do everything from the bizarre to the horrific. Penn State people are in a state of denial now, but I predict that as time goes on opinions will change, and when they do, once people take that step that I've taken, the retribution against Paterno will be ferocious. I predict that in ten years his likeness will have been entirely effaced from a campus in which you literally can't look in any direction without seeing his representation. That's my prediction and we'll see, but I would ask that you spare the student body your epithets and judgments. These are kids who just learned that there is no Santa Clause. They still aren't willing to accept that Paterno is culpable. That's not the same as supporting child molestation. I have faith in my community and think they'll come around.

To people on here wishing ruin, insolvency, and whatever else on my university and on people who had nothing to do with any of this, seriously, go to hell. People like Mooby, save your potshots. Penn State has never been known for being smart? Wrong, it is one of the most respected academic institutions in the country, that's just a fact. I go to Harvard now and I can honestly tell you that, at its best, Penn State comes close. And I appreciate it so much more as an institution, now that I've seen what true privilege looks like. I love being a public school kid who competes and wins against these coddled rich kids.

At its worst Penn State can be quite a bit worse than Harvard. We have a history of rioting (Michael Weinreb tries to make sense of the state of chaos in State College - Grantland), and not usually over things of great importance. We rioted once because we made it to the Sweet 16. And ESPN seemed interested only in interviewing besotted frat boys rather than those 40 thousand or so students who weren't in the Canyon last night.

Anyway that's all I got, peaceout.

Last edited by djnemo65; 11-10-2011 at 02:33 PM.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #183
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
I could have sworn I had heard this DA dissapeared years ago and no one knows what happened to him
Interesting.... Something doesn't smell right here

DA Who Never Charged Sandusky Has Been Missing Since 2005 | NBC Philadelphia
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #184
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,945
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
It's certainly been a devastating few days for the Penn State community. Like many Penn Staters I started out willing to give Paterno every possible benefit of the doubt, and I tried to do that. As more facts have come out it has become impossible to, even construing the facts in the light most favorable to Paterno, excuse his actions, to come up with any justification that holds water. He fell so short of the moral example the he seemed for so long to stand for that his firing was necessary, and he deserves the ignominy and the complete implosion of his entire legacy that will now follow. And once you take that step, once you realize that maybe this guy isn't what we all thought, the turn is swift and fierce. I've taken that step, but please understand that not all students and community members have. Humans are capable of engaging in extraordinary lengths of delusion when they really, really want to believe something. Religion is a good example of this. Rationalists like me scratch their heads as the world's religions compel seemingly sane people to do everything from the bizarre to the horrific. Penn State people are in a state of denial now, but I predict that as time goes on opinions will change, and when they do, once people take that step that I've taken, the retribution against Paterno will be ferocious. I predict that in ten years his likeness will have been entirely effaced from a campus in which you literally can't look in any direction without seeing his representation. That's my prediction and we'll see, but I would ask that you spare the student body your epithets and judgments. These are kids who just learned that there is no Santa Clause. They still aren't willing to accept that Paterno is culpable. That's not the same as supporting child molestation. I have faith in my community and think they'll come around.

To people on here wishing ruin, insolvency, and whatever else on my university and on people who had nothing to do with any of this, seriously, go to hell. People like Mooby, save your potshots. Penn State has never been known for being smart? Wrong, it is one of the most respected academic institutions in the country, that's just a fact. I go to Harvard now and I can honestly tell you that, at its best, Penn State comes close. And I appreciate it so much more as an institution, now that I've seen what true privilege looks like. I love being a public school kid who competes and wins against these coddled rich kids.

At its worst Penn State can be quite a bit worse than Harvard. We have a history of rioting (Michael Weinreb tries to make sense of the state of chaos in State College - Grantland), and not usually over things of great importance. We rioted once because we made it to the Sweet 16. And ESPN seemed interested only in interviewing besotted frat boys rather than those 40 thousand or so students who weren't in the Canyon last night.

Anyway that's all I got, peaceout.
Great post and I agree to rake all PSU folks across the coals for this is crazy.

As far as Mooby's comments I don't think he meant any harm, I have two close family members that went there and I kind of think of it as a party school as well but I also know a lot of great minds are there as well. I think the general public's opinion of any large state school is that it is a party school.

I don't know the numbers but I am willing to bet more folks go there for a year or two party like crazy and drop out vs. those that actually graduate. that is a true statement probably for 90 percent of large state colleges.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #185
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,945
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Interesting.... Something doesn't smell right here

DA Who Never Charged Sandusky Has Been Missing Since 2005 | NBC Philadelphia

Stuff like that makes you think this is a huge sex ring going on...like tons of cover up.

When this all boils down what will it be?
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #186
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,261
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
I could have sworn I had heard this DA dissapeared years ago and no one knows what happened to him
Yeah my comments were in refference to the NY Times artical orginally posted by Ruhskins, which is along the same lines of what GMScud just posted.
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #187
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,115
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
It's certainly been a devastating few days for the Penn State community. Like many Penn Staters I started out willing to give Paterno every possible benefit of the doubt, and I tried to do that. As more facts have come out it has become impossible to, even construing the facts in the light most favorable to Paterno, excuse his actions, to come up with any justification that holds water. He fell so short of the moral example the he seemed for so long to stand for that his firing was necessary, and he deserves the ignominy and the complete implosion of his entire legacy that will now follow. And once you take that step, once you realize that maybe this guy isn't what we all thought, the turn is swift and fierce. I've taken that step, but please understand that not all students and community members have. Humans are capable of engaging in extraordinary lengths of delusion when they really, really want to believe something. Religion is a good example of this. Rationalists like me scratch their heads as the world's religions compel seemingly sane people to do everything from the bizarre to the horrific. Penn State people are in a state of denial now, but I predict that as time goes on opinions will change, and when they do, once people take that step that I've taken, the retribution against Paterno will be ferocious. I predict that in ten years his likeness will have been entirely effaced from a campus in which you literally can't look in any direction without seeing his representation. That's my prediction and we'll see, but I would ask that you spare the student body your epithets and judgments. These are kids who just learned that there is no Santa Clause. They still aren't willing to accept that Paterno is culpable. That's not the same as supporting child molestation. I have faith in my community and think they'll come around.

To people on here wishing ruin, insolvency, and whatever else on my university and on people who had nothing to do with any of this, seriously, go to hell. People like Mooby, save your potshots. Penn State has never been known for being smart? Wrong, it is one of the most respected academic institutions in the country, that's just a fact. I go to Harvard now and I can honestly tell you that, at its best, Penn State comes close. And I appreciate it so much more as an institution, now that I've seen what true privilege looks like. I love being a public school kid who competes and wins against these coddled rich kids.

At its worst Penn State can be quite a bit worse than Harvard. We have a history of rioting (Michael Weinreb tries to make sense of the state of chaos in State College - Grantland), and not usually over things of great importance. We rioted once because we made it to the Sweet 16. And ESPN seemed interested only in interviewing besotted frat boys rather than those 40 thousand or so students who weren't in the Canyon last night.

Anyway that's all I got, peaceout.
Nice post, but to clarify there were several students who would only speak to ESPN (and I suspect others) off the record and off camera for fear of getting beat up for thinking the riots were ridiculous and Paterno should have been fired. So it wasn't for lack of trying or lack of interest that you didn't see those interviews. They were legitimately scared of what would happen to them.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #188
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 34
Posts: 2,836
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Great post and I agree to rake all PSU folks across the coals for this is crazy.

As far as Mooby's comments I don't think he meant any harm, I have two close family members that went there and I kind of think of it as a party school as well but I also know a lot of great minds are there as well. I think the general public's opinion of any large state school is that it is a party school.

I don't know the numbers but I am willing to bet more folks go there for a year or two party like crazy and drop out vs. those that actually graduate. that is a true statement probably for 90 percent of large state colleges.
Absolutely true, although not at the main campus. There is a whole farm system of branch campuses that do not post very high graduation rates. People who make it straight to the main campus out of high school tend to be pretty good students though.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #189
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
It's certainly been a devastating few days for the Penn State community. Like many Penn Staters I started out willing to give Paterno every possible benefit of the doubt, and I tried to do that. As more facts have come out it has become impossible to, even construing the facts in the light most favorable to Paterno, excuse his actions, to come up with any justification that holds water. He fell so short of the moral example the he seemed for so long to stand for that his firing was necessary, and he deserves the ignominy and the complete implosion of his entire legacy that will now follow. And once you take that step, once you realize that maybe this guy isn't what we all thought, the turn is swift and fierce. I've taken that step, but please understand that not all students and community members have. Humans are capable of engaging in extraordinary lengths of delusion when they really, really want to believe something. Religion is a good example of this. Rationalists like me scratch their heads as the world's religions compel seemingly sane people to do everything from the bizarre to the horrific. Penn State people are in a state of denial now, but I predict that as time goes on opinions will change, and when they do, once people take that step that I've taken, the retribution against Paterno will be ferocious. I predict that in ten years his likeness will have been entirely effaced from a campus in which you literally can't look in any direction without seeing his representation. That's my prediction and we'll see, but I would ask that you spare the student body your epithets and judgments. These are kids who just learned that there is no Santa Clause. They still aren't willing to accept that Paterno is culpable. That's not the same as supporting child molestation. I have faith in my community and think they'll come around.

To people on here wishing ruin, insolvency, and whatever else on my university and on people who had nothing to do with any of this, seriously, go to hell. People like Mooby, save your potshots. Penn State has never been known for being smart? Wrong, it is one of the most respected academic institutions in the country, that's just a fact. I go to Harvard now and I can honestly tell you that, at its best, Penn State comes close. And I appreciate it so much more as an institution, now that I've seen what true privilege looks like. I love being a public school kid who competes and wins against these coddled rich kids.

At its worst Penn State can be quite a bit worse than Harvard. We have a history of rioting (Michael Weinreb tries to make sense of the state of chaos in State College - Grantland), and not usually over things of great importance. We rioted once because we made it to the Sweet 16. And ESPN seemed interested only in interviewing besotted frat boys rather than those 40 thousand or so students who weren't in the Canyon last night.

Anyway that's all I got, peaceout.
Good post, Nemo. I would say most good state universities, at their best, come close to Harvard. And by their best, I mean those respective schools' brighest minds.

I do agree with what you're saying for the most part, especially about those people who are wishing that the entire university fall to pieces. That's a totally ignorant thing to say- hoping innocent people lose their jobs and educations.

One thing I'm not ready to do is to give the rioting students a pass. I'm not saying that their doing so is advocating child abuse, but they should know better. It's not like Paterno is getting railroaded here. He was implicit in the cover-up and protection of a man who committed some of the most heinous acts imaginable. So yeah, he got fired. WTF are they rioting about?

I know it's your alma mater so it hits hard. If this was going on at the University of Florida, I'd be devastated. But I don't think those rioting students should be spared from any sort of criticism, judgement, or prosecution for that matter. They may represent a minority as far as the student body, but they're stupid.
__________________
Insert witty signature here

Last edited by GMScud; 11-10-2011 at 03:07 PM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #190
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 34
Posts: 2,836
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Good post, Nemo. I would say most good state universities, at their best, come close to Harvard. And by their best, I mean those respective schools' brighest minds.

I do agree with what you're saying for the most part, especially about those people who are wishing that the entire university fall to pieces. That's a totally ignorant thing to say- hoping innocent people lose their jobs and educations.

One thing I'm not ready to do is to give the rioting students a pass. I'm not saying that their doing so is advocating child abuse, but they should know better. It's not like Paterno is getting railroaded here. He was implicit in the cover-up and protection of a man who committed some of the most heinous acts imaginable. So yeah, he got fired. WTF are they rioting about?

I know it's your alma mater so it hits hard. If this was going on at the University of Florida, I'd be devastated. But I don't think those rioting students should be spared from any sort of criticism, judgement, or prosecution for that matter. They may represent a minority as far as the student body, but they're stupid.

Well that's a compelling take which I respect, thanks for being even-handed
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #191
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,115
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Could the university actually fall apart though? I mean even before all this the state government was considering cutting subsidies to PSU, for economic reasons. If they cut subsidies, if the DOE gets involved and levies fines or whatever, if there are millions of dollars in civil suits, if the application rate drops significantly...could that effectively destroy the university. Not just the football team, but the whole university

I can tell you there are already advertisers who are demanding to have their ads pulled from any game involving Penn State.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #192
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,945
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
Absolutely true, although not at the main campus. There is a whole farm system of branch campuses that do not post very high graduation rates. People who make it straight to the main campus out of high school tend to be pretty good students though.

Really my sister went to Mount Alto for a year then main campus, she felt like the ones who came start from HS usually dropped out.

Honestly though and I am not trying to push your buttons I went school for Hotel Management (Cornell) and Penn State was like my fall back fall back school if all else fell through, like it was my complete safety net. Now that maybe totally untrue in other fields of study there but as far as hotel schools PSU was the easy one to get into.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #193
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,750
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2011...resentment.pdf

heres a link to the GJ findings, read the last couple pages and didnt see it.

criminal penalties for child rapists need to be greatly enhanced. guys are getting 2, 3 maybe 10 years for repeatedly raping a child . . . 80s it was a slap on the wrist, 2011 its better but not where it needs to be . .
Sadly the punishment needs to remain life in prison. If you start giving child molesters the death penalty for child rape, then there's more incentive to kill the victim. But yeah you see these stories of convicted child molesters in their 30's and 40's that are free and you wonder how the hell they're out.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #194
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,763
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Hidden in this long article in the Chronicle of Higher Education is this:


"Neither Mr. Spanier nor Mr. Paterno had been charged with breaking any laws in connection with the sex-abuse allegations, but the egregious nature of the charges brought against a former Nittany Lions' defensive coordinator, Jerry Sandusky, fueled public anger about the lack of action taken by university officials and led trustees to promise, and make, swift decisions. Calls for Mr. Spanier's ouster, in particular, had begun to swell as the week wore on, with hundreds of students chanting for his removal outside the university's main administrative building on Tuesday night."

Penn State Trustees Fire President and Legendary Coach - Leadership & Governance - The Chronicle of Higher Education

This is ridiculous, so these stupid PSU students turn the blind eye to Paterno b/c he's the football coach? I am glad both got fired as I've stated earlier, and as Kirk Herbstreet said on ESPN, this is bigger than football and people at PSU need to realize that.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #195
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Could the university actually fall apart though? I mean even before all this the state government was considering cutting subsidies to PSU, for economic reasons. If they cut subsidies, if the DOE gets involved and levies fines or whatever, if there are millions of dollars in civil suits, if the application rate drops significantly...could that effectively destroy the university. Not just the football team, but the whole university

I can tell you there are already advertisers who are demanding to have their ads pulled from any game involving Penn State.
Man, that would really be sad. Certainly the best case scenario right now seems to be that the football team is a bottom feeder in the Big 10 for years to come, other athletic programs fall victim to budget cuts, and maybe certain schools/departments within the university are contracted. Once all the lawsuits get rolling, it's going to be devastating.

I heard they have a $2B endowment. They better get ready to open that wallet big time.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.39694 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25