Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 06:31 AM   #361
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 27
Posts: 12,181
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
It's all so very disturbing. Can't shake the feeling there'll be a mistrial
Yeah I agree with your last part too, either that or he'll be acquitted. I will be pissed as hell if that happens. Quick question, if he gets acquitted or a mistrial is declared, would anybody care if someone went to his house and killed him? Because I don't think I would. I'm firmly in the "I think he's guilty" camp, and I don't feel like there's any way in which he should be allowed to taste the free air anymore.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #362
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 3,239
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Yeah I agree with your last part too, either that or he'll be acquitted. I will be pissed as hell if that happens. Quick question, if he gets acquitted or a mistrial is declared, would anybody care if someone went to his house and killed him? Because I don't think I would. I'm firmly in the "I think he's guilty" camp, and I don't feel like there's any way in which he should be allowed to taste the free air anymore.
last night on nbc they had part of an interview with one of the victims, it was the first time he has spoken publicly, the first time any of them has i believe. he said the reason he came forward was because he felt guilty that he did nothing to stop sandusky and that it led to more kids being abused. he was molested from the age of 12-14 i think, he is now 30. the interviewer asked him if sandusky were here right now what would you say to him? he said i would punch him in the mouth. she asked if he would say anything first. to which he replied i know what he did and so does he, nothing needs to be said.

i am in the same boat as you, if he gets off and someone kills him i wouldnt lose a nights sleep over it. i'd much rather have him die in a jail cell alone though, f-ing pos.
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #363
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 52
Posts: 9,302
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

I have not been reading the reports from the trial. I have just been patiently waiting for the guilty verdict. Why is there a concern over a mistrial or not guilty verdict? Seems from what I have seen that the evidence is overwhelming.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #364
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,957
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I have not been reading the reports from the trial. I have just been patiently waiting for the guilty verdict. Why is there a concern over a mistrial or not guilty verdict? Seems from what I have seen that the evidence is overwhelming.
Simply because it is the American Judicial System.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #365
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

^

Yes, they just need one Penn State fan on the jury and it'll go to shit.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #366
Fire Bruce NOW
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,434
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
^

Yes, they just need one Penn State fan on the jury and it'll go to shit.
You would think that the prosecution lawyers have already vetted the jury to avoid that prospect.
__________________
Bruce Allen when in charge alone: 4-12 (.250)
Bruce Allen's overall Redskins record : 28-52 (.350)
Vinny Cerrato's record when in charge alone: 52-65 (.444)
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #367
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,118
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Hopefully no one in the sequestered jury heard the Matt Sandusky info because they may believe they need to hear more about that now, which I think could lead to mistrial. But what do I know, I'm not JoeLawyer up in this piece
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #368
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
You would think that the prosecution lawyers have already vetted the jury to avoid that prospect.
Yes, you would. No, they didn't:

Jury:

A retired school bus driver, a Wal-Mart employee, a Penn State professor and a Penn State football season ticketholder since the 1970s. They are among the 12 jurors and four alternates selected to hear the child sex abuse case against former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.

Mistrial. Rinse, repeat.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #369
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 52
Posts: 9,302
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
Yes, you would. No, they didn't:

Jury:

A retired school bus driver, a Wal-Mart employee, a Penn State professor and a Penn State football season ticketholder since the 1970s. They are among the 12 jurors and four alternates selected to hear the child sex abuse case against former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.

Mistrial. Rinse, repeat.
The voir dire is generally limited and the prosecution generally only has a limited number of strikes. They may have, in fact, been presented with worse candidates out of the pool.

Of course, the prosecutors may have exercised their judgment after interviewing the season ticket holder and the professor and found them to be favorable jurors (Maybe they are sickened by the stain on their work place or their team). It's easy to monday morning qb this stuff. If that's the best hope for a mistrial - I am far less concerned than others.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #370
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 52
Posts: 9,302
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Has anyone here served on a jury? I have been on two - one in Federal court (a three week civil trial) and one in Baltimore City (a two day criminal trial). It was a fascinating experience and one which gave me a great deal of confidence in the jury system.

Sure, there are mistakes and, more often than you would hope, you hear about some big cases that seem to be decided wrongly (I say seem b/c often there are real and substantial reasons for what, at first blush, seems to be bad decision). Every day, however, hundreds (if not thousands) of juries across the country take their charges seriously and return just results.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #371
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Just once. The DA ( a newbie) carried some evidence into the courtroom and it was seen by everyone in the corridor leading to the court. Defense requested and got a mistrial.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #372
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 27
Posts: 12,181
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Edit: RedskinRat beat me to it.

Like I said, I really hope they have plenty of evidence to get that guilty verdict, but in high profile cases like these I feel like the pressure is on the jury more than most cases, and that doesn't help.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #373
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,957
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Has anyone here served on a jury? I have been on two - one in Federal court (a three week civil trial) and one in Baltimore City (a two day criminal trial). It was a fascinating experience and one which gave me a great deal of confidence in the jury system.

Sure, there are mistakes and, more often than you would hope, you hear about some big cases that seem to be decided wrongly (I say seem b/c often there are real and substantial reasons for what, at first blush, seems to be bad decision). Every day, however, hundreds (if not thousands) of juries across the country take their charges seriously and return just results.
I did! And I got the worst thing a alternate. So i said throuhg 4 days of trails and at the end was asked to leave because they didn't need me.

Though it was rewarding to watch the process.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #374
Gamebreaker
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 28
Posts: 13,019
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Sandusky's guilty on 45 out of 48 counts. No link yet.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #375
Gamebreaker
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 28
Posts: 13,019
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

BREAKING: Jerry Sandusky Guilty On 45; Not Guilty On 3 Counts CBS Philly

Here ya go.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.46232 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25