Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #421
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
So I see Penn State had uniform security yesterday evening and through the night guarding the Paterno statue. Amazing to see where their concerns still lie...
I understand where they are coming from, seeing that the statue could attract angry people, but it just sends the wrong message.

They really need to start disassociating Joe Pa. from the school, but I think its going to be a slow process. I'm sure some of you've been there, but State College worships him. Every store, restaurant, building, etc. I doubt that's going to change quickly, although I think it should.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #422
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
For the record, the statue needs to come down but its gonna take a while for everyone to get their heads out of the denial sand.

You would think they would remove it over the summer, before the students get back. They should do it quickly, without annoucing it.There will be riots if they did it during the school year.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #423
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,005
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
I understand where they are coming from, seeing that the statue could attract angry people, but it just sends the wrong message.

They really need to start disassociating Joe Pa. from the school, but I think its going to be a slow process. I'm sure some of you've been there, but State College worships him. Every store, restaurant, building, etc. I doubt that's going to change quickly, although I think it should.
Funny that the man that put them on the map is also the one that completely destroyed them.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #424
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,893
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

It's hard to really believe any of the "good" he did was even sincere or true anymore. If he covered (or at least helped cover) this up, why should I believe he was always on the up with smaller things like recruiting?

In many ways it's only symbolic but remove his name from buildings, take down the statue, remove funding for the school, shut the program down. Don't shut it down before 2013 or even 2014 though. Give the players on the roster right now the opportunity to transfer. Waive the one year waiting period to play after a transfer for these students.

I mean I still can't get over the fact that it was 1998 when he first knew about this. 13 years.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #425
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,005
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

It's just so appalling on so many levels.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #426
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
The Big Ten Network didn't cover any of the press conference instead showing old Big Ten games. Their reasoning: they are "not and never intended to be a news organization"

That's a bunch of bull. They have to cover this

They should just avoid football all together right now on the BTN. They should just switch over to women's college volleyball until everything dies down.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #427
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
So I see Penn State had uniform security yesterday evening and through the night guarding the Paterno statue. Amazing to see where their concerns still lie...
I had been saying they need to take it down and return it to the family before this report.

Now, I think a public destruction of the thing is appropriate.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #428
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,779
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Funny that the man that put them on the map is also the one that completely destroyed them.
Happens a lot when people put someone on a pedestal, you know.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #429
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
It truly is horrible. I do think that this issue didn't occur just because these 4 are bad people. The issue here is the money and power that comes with college football. This could've happened at any school. With all the money involved it was just easier, in their minds, to ignore the issue or minimize it.

I'm not trying to diminish how horrible it is; I just think we need to take a long hard look at what college sports, particular mens football and basketball, have become. Saying its all on Joe Pa., and that's it, is a gross simplification of the entire problem (too much money in college sports). All that being said, its pathetic these 4, and the Board, let something llike this happen.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #430
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,117
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

One of the first things I thought when the scandal broke is that everybody should be cleaned out to get rid of the stench, starting with the Board of Trustees. Their decision to keep Joe Paterno's statue up only solidifies my thought back then.

Joe Paterno's statue to remain at Penn State, sources say - ESPN

I find a few things sickening and disturbing.

Quote:
"You can't let people stampede you into making a rash decision," a trustee said. "The statue represents the good that Joe did. It doesn't represent the bad that he did."
Quote:
"It has to stay up," said another trustee. "We have to let a number of months pass, and we'll address it again. But there is no way, no way. It's just not coming down."
Quote:
But privately, Peetz, board member Ken Frazier and most of the other trustees, whose leadership on the Sandusky matter as a whole was harshly criticized by the Freeh report, spoke adamantly about the need to keep the statue standing, the sources told "Outside the Lines." They said they hoped the passage of time would prove to be an ally, sources said.

The trustees "are hoping they can have more time pass and people will forget about it and then it won't come down," one trustee said.
Quote:
Some alumni groups have continued to call for resignations of trustees, and one trustee said this about the statue: "We don't want to further upset the alumni."

One trustee said the board is learning from its past mistakes.

These quotes tell me that they indeed haven't learned. They are still idolizing a man who covered up child molesting, they are still putting the football team before the sake of people's well being. They are worried about alumni's and donors. Does anybody actually believe these people are going to shut the football system down?...lol No, and they were a huge part of what happened at PSU. Most of the BoTs and high ranking PSU officials ran in the same circles. My guess is the BoT heard the whispers and knew, but didn't really care as long as that endowment grew and the cash cow kept mooing.

I told my parents today that if PSU doesn't take down that statue, I'll drive my jeep down to college state and take it out myself. It's a crime shame that the alumni and fans haven't done this very thing, but they are part of the reason Joe and crew did what they did. They put football before all else. JR, you want to represent me bro when I do?


Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
It's hard to really believe any of the "good" he did was even sincere or true anymore. If he covered (or at least helped cover) this up, why should I believe he was always on the up with smaller things like recruiting?

Well, we do know that all this good he's done was not sincere, but yet a mere ploy to raise his legend and status among humanity. You only need to look at Jerry Sandusky to understand this. Many in PA believe that Sandusky was a bigger "saint" than Joe. His relentless work with the 2nd Mile charity and his time giving/helping to all those children in need. Much greater than Joe's effort to say the least. However, we also know that Jerry's work wasn't sincere either, and probably a ploy to help cover his guilt of the crimes he's committed.



Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
In many ways it's only symbolic but remove his name from buildings, take down the statue, remove funding for the school, shut the program down. Don't shut it down before 2013 or even 2014 though. Give the players on the roster right now the opportunity to transfer. Waive the one year waiting period to play after a transfer for these students.
Nike has already followed in the direction you suggest with their removal of his name from their Child Development Center.

Nike removes Joe Paterno’s name from its child development center | Dr. Saturday - Yahoo! Sports

Not sure how you can have his (or any of them) name on anything connected with PSU and go forward.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #431
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,893
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
It truly is horrible. I do think that this issue didn't occur just because these 4 are bad people. The issue here is the money and power that comes with college football. This could've happened at any school. With all the money involved it was just easier, in their minds, to ignore the issue or minimize it.

I'm not trying to diminish how horrible it is; I just think we need to take a long hard look at what college sports, particular mens football and basketball, have become. Saying its all on Joe Pa., and that's it, is a gross simplification of the entire problem (too much money in college sports). All that being said, its pathetic these 4, and the Board, let something llike this happen.
You'd like to think (perhaps naively) that, even as far as coaches/institutions will go to test the limits of what's acceptable behavior, there's a line that any decent human being knows should not be crossed.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #432
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 12,065
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

The fact that the BoT is letting a statue of a child molester enabler continue to stand after the fact tells us everything we need to know. I still hope the NCAA gives the football program the death penalty. Their continued support for Paterno because of all the "good" he's done just shows they still aren't taking this seriously enough. Just put the hammer on them NCAA, and let it be a lesson. Because if they don't, it's a victory for other pervs taking advantage of their positions elsewhere.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #433
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 12,370
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Where will the money come when PSU is sued? It shouldnt be the taxpayers who pick up the bill. School should have to reach into all its donations and atheletic fund.
__________________
Fire Haz, Hire Wade
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #434
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,893
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Where will the money come when PSU is sued? It shouldnt be the taxpayers who pick up the bill. School should have to reach into all its donations and atheletic fund.
Maybe that's why the statue is up still? To not upset the trustees who give the donations that the payments for civil suits will come from? Just speculating

And as gung ho as I was last week on the death penalty, it does not need to be carefully vetted out. There needs to be a plan in place that won't punish current players and the rest of the conference as well
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #435
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 12,370
Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Maybe that's why the statue is up still? To not upset the trustees who give the donations that the payments for civil suits will come from? Just speculating

And as gung ho as I was last week on the death penalty, it does not need to be carefully vetted out. There needs to be a plan in place that won't punish current players and the rest of the conference as well
I dont know about "death penalty", but I would think at the least the football team should be suspended at least 1 year and all football activities and multiple sanctions there after (multiple loss of bowls, 10+ scholarship yanked for several years, etc.). Its unfortunate for the current players, but my head cant get pass the fact the protection of the football program was more important than the protection of kids. I just cant let that go, and neither should the NCAA.
__________________
Fire Haz, Hire Wade
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32018 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25