Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Media?

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #16
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,760
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Out of curiosity, can you cite an example where JR was wrong(factually) on the Occupy movement, given proof of the error, and then his failing to acknowledge it?

I may not (in fact I know I don't) agree with JR on certain issues, but rarely is the disagreement based on underlying facts, which you seem to be saying when you say he says "a lot of things that are wrong", our disagreements usually involve application of those facts.
We disagree b/c I am just smarter than you. Always have been, always will be.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #17
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,518
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Media?

it seems like the GOP followers are crying over spilled milk. their party is out of power, so they have lost faith in our govt. their presidential hopeful has a ton of skeletons that are now being re reported, so they have lost faith in the media. boo hoo i say
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #18
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,024
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Further, you were wrong when you initially made the statement ("Fox is banned") in the Occupy thread. I pointed out the error then, but, consistent with your methodology, you ignored it. Now, in a thread lambasting the media for their playing fast and loose with the truth, you repeat - and assert as truth - a fact which you have not verified, the error of which was previously pointed out and which is consistent with your complete and utter contempt for Fox.

I haven't ignored anything, nor do I recall the post from the other thread. Chances are I just didn't see the post. Chill out.


Are you asking me to point out where Fox lies? If so, I can definitely do that.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 11-22-2011 at 04:23 PM.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #19
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,024
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Out of curiosity, can you cite an example where JR was wrong(factually) on the Occupy movement, given proof of the error, and then his failing to acknowledge it?

I may not (in fact I know I don't) agree with JR on certain issues, but rarely is the disagreement based on underlying facts, which you seem to be saying when you say he says "a lot of things that are wrong", our disagreements usually involve application of those facts.
Opinion based. I don't recall anything off the top of my head or anything I care to dig for to be honest with you.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #20
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
it seems like the GOP followers are crying over spilled milk. their party is out of power, so they have lost faith in our govt. their presidential hopeful has a ton of skeletons that are now being re reported, so they have lost faith in the media. boo hoo i say
Well if you have followed any of my post you will know that I lost faith both in Gov. & the media long before Obama took office.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #21
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Speaking of Fox. Let's see exactly why they are banned in Canada.


Statutes and Regulations | CRTC


-requires that "a licenser may not broadcast….any false or misleading news."



I think the US should pass the same type of legislation that our neighbors to the north have. Would make for better quality news.
What happened to your freedom of speech you talk about in the OWS thread?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #22
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,760
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
I haven't ignored anything, nor do I recall the post from the other thread.
After you made an earlier claim that Fox was banned in Canada, and in response to the post I quoted above, you responded to later portion of the post (which I did not quote here) but said nothing in response to the portion I quoted above. Thus, because you had clearly read the post but only responded to one portion of it, I made the assumption - as I believe any reasonable person would - that you had decided to ignore your highlighted error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Are you asking me to point out where Fox lies? If so, I can definitely do that.
No. I am highlighting the hypocrisy of you making the statement "Fox is banned in Canada" based on unverified information in light of your constant attacks on Fox for just the same action.

I have no problem with the concept that not all of what Fox claims as "fact" is not actually factual. At the same time, not all they claim as fact is fiction either. The same is true of CNN, MSNBC and other media outlets.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #23
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,813
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Opinion based. I don't recall anything off the top of my head or anything I care to dig for to be honest with you.
Well that's a heck of a statement to make, and then not want to dig for it to back up your position.

Let me put it another way, earlier in the thread you said you felt the US ought to enact a law which

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins
-requires that "a licenser may not broadcast….any false or misleading news."

I think the US should pass the same type of legislation that our neighbors to the north have.
then you make a fairly broad accusation against JR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins
You[JoeRedskin] say a lot of things that are wrong, especially in your stance with the Occupy Movement, but that doesn't stop you.
and when asked to validate your statement, you say in effect, I don't have to prove my statement.

Seems like we need a law prohibiting false or misleading claims on BB's (heavy sarcasm intended)


JR, for all his faults, is a very accurate person when he makes statements of facts. I know he takes a bit of pride in that. Argue his conclusions all day long, but a mistaken conclusion is far different than presenting erroneous facts, and the accusation of such isn't something that should be brushed over because you "don't care to dig for it".



Back on point of this topic, the media gives no claim (other than for revenue) of being worthy of faith. Each outlet panders to their base in order to garner more advertising revenue and a larger base. Unlike the government, which is SUPPOSED to present the good for all citizens and thus lost faith is a critical thing, lost faith in the media simply means finding a media outlet more suited towards your own beliefs.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #24
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,024
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
and when asked to validate your statement, you say in effect, I don't have to prove my statement.
I think he's wrong on many of his stances, that doesn't mean what he's said is accurate or inaccurate based on facts. I think you are reading into too much of what I said.

Technically, he was wrong when he stated I hate corporations and rich people, but who's keeping track. :cheeky-sm


Much like the current media, you are detracting on the meat of what's important with a side show of who's right and wrong. I admitted to being wrong about the Fox in Canada thing, and here we are 7 posts later still talking about me being wrong? Let's talk about our pathetic media. Thanks.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #25
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,813
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
I think he's wrong on many of his stances, that doesn't mean what he's said is accurate or inaccurate based on facts. I think you are reading into too much of what I said.

Technically, he was wrong when he stated I hate corporations and rich people, but who's keeping track. :cheeky-sm


Much like the current media, you are detracting on the meat of what's important with a side show of who's right and wrong. I admitted to being wrong about the Fox in Canada thing, and here we are 7 posts later still talking about me being wrong? Let's talk about our pathetic media. Thanks.
Funny thing tho'. You pulled one sentence out of my post, made a silly sidestep, then ignored the end of my post which laid out my answer to why the premise of the thread is wrong, and then accused me of detracting from the meat. But fine.

Our media is pathetic, simply because we have lots of air time available to whiny mediots who make bold statements then do nothing in terms of proving whether their statements are factually accurate or not. And when called on it they use poor critical thinking skills to avoid direct answers and muddle their actual responses because they are unable to accept that they are wrong. Of course, no one here forced to listen to just one side of a discussion, although many end up doing just that.

Of course the argument could be made that it is the availability of all points of views, from mediots to talking heads, to scholars, that allows the US, and other nations that encourage free speech, to grow and move beyond shallow thinking as a nation, and also leads to more open and honest debate, where one is forced to contemplate every point of view and not just their exclusive way of thinking.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #26
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Media?

Quick and short Op-Ed from the NY Times:

Media blames Aurora on right—Gabriel Malor - NYPOST.com

Expanded version from theblaze:

Six Moments Where the Media has Wrongly Blamed Violence on Conservatives | TheBlaze.com
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #27
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Media?

Funny thing is Fox is not banned in Canada and I'm not sure where you got that from.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #28
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,024
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Funny thing is Fox is not banned in Canada and I'm not sure where you got that from.
That is correct. I mistakenly went on RFK, jr.'s article about it being banned. It is in fact not banned in Canada, and I even researched a few cable stations that carry it after JR's correction.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 07-24-2012 at 04:12 PM.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #29
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
That is correct. I mistakenly went on RFK, jr.'s article about it being banned. It is in fact not banned in Canada, and I even researched the few cable stations that carry it after JR's correction.
I guess “few” means something different depending on the person.

But for those like me it may be worth noting that when NCSkins says "the few" he means more than 10 and what i would normally refer to "the vast majority”. There is however “one” notable exception, as Videotron, Canada’s third largest cable provider which is targeted towards the French speaking Canadians does not carry the channel. I would offer an opinion as to why but I am unable to read French-Canadian:

Services de Téléphonie, Internet, Télévision et Mobile | Vidéotron
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #30
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,024
Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
I guess “few” means something different depending on the person.

But for those like me it may be worth noting that when NCSkins says "the few" he means more than 10 and what i would normally refer to "the vast majority”. There is however “one” notable exception, as Videotron, Canada’s third largest cable provider which is targeted towards the French speaking Canadians does not carry the channel. I would offer an opinion as to why but I am unable to read French-Canadian:

Services de Téléphonie, Internet, Télévision et Mobile | Vidéotron
My words should have been "a few" and not "the few". I didn't look at every single carrier in Canada, just a few. If I remember correctly, Videotron is one of the ones that didn't carry it because they already had another type of "fox news" conservative type station already.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33275 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25