Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


First Amendment Right

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #46
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: First Amendment Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
For the most part, I was ignoring this thread. So much epic fail that it is just not worth "wrestling with the pig".
Stick with your instincts next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
With that said, RR - your opinions of the "religiously inclined" are for you to hold
Ooooh, thank you for your permission!


Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
but the prejudice and intolerance you display towards the spiritual choices of others speaks damningly of your own beliefs and is no better than the wrong you claim they do you.
Intolerance? Okay........ don't know what 'wrong' you're talking about but I do think it's odd to base so much of life on something that's superstitious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
So, in your atheistic paradise, it is fine to lump all "religiously inclined" together?
<sigh>Yeah, why not......

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
It is okay to paint all those who believe that something exists beyond our finite senses as superstitious fools who believe in unicorns and magic?
A little simplistic, but, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
All who follow a religious paths are but dupes who are simply not smart enough to see the world as you do.
How would you describe someone who believes in something unsubstantiated?


Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
We poor religiously inclined fools, if only we were as brilliant and wise as you.
That's such an awesome temper-tantrum. Thanks for brightening my day.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
The intolerance and lack of understanding displayed by this and your multitude of other similar comments convinces me that, whatever your guiding ethos is, I am damn glad it's not mine and I certainly hope it never becomes that which is held by the majority of humankind.
Intolerance? Again. Please tell me where I've been intolerant.

I'm also pleased, you sound like a really dull person. Thanks for sharing though!

Last edited by RedskinRat; 02-29-2012 at 05:35 PM.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #47
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: First Amendment Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
As for the case itself, IMHO, it is one in which all should be embarrassed. The atheist's choice was in poor taste regardless of who was insulted. I don't care if you're an atheist or "religiously inclined", blatantly insulting the beliefs of others, with the intent to mock them, is simply wrong.
That's fine but who decides what's in poor taste? What do we do when someone gets acid thrown on them because <fill in cult or group of choice> don't like <fill in imagined slight>.

It was a Halloween Parade, FFS!
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #48
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 52
Posts: 9,192
Re: First Amendment Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
That's fine but who decides what's in poor taste? What do we do when someone gets acid thrown on them because <fill in cult or group of choice> don't like <fill in imagined slight>.

It was a Halloween Parade, FFS!
Where was the acid in this case? Please cite to me one case where someone throwing acid on another person was deemed constitutionally protected freedom of speech. I guess you missed my point that violence is an unacceptable ... and in the example you now cite, a criminal action.

In the case at hand, poor taste is, as I said, intentionally mocking the beliefs of others. Since you recognize no other belief as correct but your own, I am sure poor taste is a way of life for you.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #49
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,489
Re: First Amendment Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
How do you know the officer's testimony was disregarded? Are you assuming that if it wasn't the muslim guy do jail time?

Part of the job of being a judge is to pass a critical judgment...that includes disregarding testimony and interpreting the law how they see fit and if that doesn't jive with precedence then on to the next stage of the legal system.

Jail time? For a simple battery or assault? Hell no...lol That's a misdemeanor at most. I just felt with the admission of guilt from the defendant to the cop, and with the video putting the defendant at the scene (as well as the defendant acknowledging this), I thought sufficient evidence warranted a guilty verdict. I've seen guilty verdicts with waaaaaay less evidence. Then again, I've seen not guilty verdicts with waaaay more evidence too. Oh well.


Not even going to step into the whole first amendment crap which I don't think is even at issue here.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 02-29-2012 at 03:43 PM.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #50
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,489
Re: First Amendment Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
As for the case itself, IMHO, it is one in which all should be embarrassed.

Agree 100%. Not sure why people would go out of their way to offend people that do believe in religion. Let people think what they want to unless their beliefs somehow interferes with your life.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #51
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: First Amendment Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Where was the acid in this case?
Did I say there was a case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Please cite to me one case where someone throwing acid on another person was deemed constitutionally protected freedom of speech. I guess you missed my point that violence is an unacceptable ... and in the example you now cite, a criminal action.
And my point, which you chose to ignore, was, who decides what is poor taste? I don't trust your judgment, you wouldn't trust mine. I have a list of friends I could give you but they'd probably side with you to piss me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
In the case at hand, poor taste is, as I said, intentionally mocking the beliefs of others.
It's fine you saying it but I don't agree. Nothing should be above satire or being made fun of, once things become taboo then we lose the opportunity for honest examination. There wasn't a raging catholic assaulting the Zombie Pope, was there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Since you recognize no other belief as correct but your own, I am sure poor taste is a way of life for you.
Where did I say that I refuse to recognize other beliefs? I recognize them as what they are: Superstitious nonsense. Please prove me wrong.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #52
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: First Amendment Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
So the article has been found to be incorrect. Quote from the article.

"A Muslim judge in Pennsylvania – who scolded a local atheist for offending Islam, called him a doofus and accused him of “using the First "
Yes, that's my understanding from reading the court transcripts that the judge had released.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #53
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: First Amendment Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Everything I have read says the judge was muslim.
Non-moslem with a lisp or other speech impediment, but the facts shouldn't get in the way of self-righteous indignation.

He's listed as 'something beginning with 'M'' but I didn't make a note of it as the absurdity of the case remained regardless of his religious affiliation. Him being moslem would have made it more outrageous.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #54
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: First Amendment Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I find the responses here from the left interesting. They kind of say they understand why the guy attacked the guy and how he was provoked. If this was a guy mocking god and was attacked the left would call the attacker a right wing extremist nut job that needs to be in jail.
Yes, there seems to be a double standard. Everyone knows desecrating the Bible and demeaning Jesus is fair game in America. Why just last week I saw someone doing some awful things to a miniature statue of Jesus...when was the last time you've seen something of that nature?
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #55
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: First Amendment Right

Ok, it's been a few weeks since you posted your question, saden1, so I'll take it that a) nobody has seen it happen, or b) nobody cares.

What do you consider 'desecration'? I ask because I'm sure there's a sliding scale.

Most christians that I know would be able to ignore an obvious insult as an attempt to provoke.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #56
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,261
Re: First Amendment Right

NYT: Anti-Catholic ads are OK, but anti-Islam ads put our troops in danger « Hot Air
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #57
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: First Amendment Right

We all know that not all religions are treated equally.

I saw this an 'Hmmmm'ed

Dutch catholic church accused of castrating boys

But, yeah, what about all the good the church does?
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #58
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,261
Re: First Amendment Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
We all know that not all religions are treated equally.

I saw this an 'Hmmmm'ed

Dutch catholic church accused of castrating boys

But, yeah, what about all the good the church does?
Isnt this a major part of the reason you started this thread? Sure i know youre an atheist and all, but isnt atheism just as much an ideology as Christianity or Islamism? So why is it that that its okay to offend one and not the other. Sure its a pretty shitty situation that people actually want to offend people who are believers, non-believers, or believe differently, but we should all have the right to voice our opinion even if it is offensive.

The whole problem is that different ideologies are being able to behave differently. And worst of all its because of positive reinforcement of bad and irrational behavior.

What does the horrible acts of the Dutch Catholic church have to do with people having the right to offend Muslims or Christians?
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #59
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: First Amendment Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Isnt this a major part of the reason you started this thread?


No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Sure i know youre an atheist and all, but isnt atheism just as much an ideology as Christianity or Islamism?


No, Atheism is the disbelief of the existence of a god. It's only an ideology to theists who are desperate for a position to argue from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
So why is it that that its okay to offend one and not the other.


All religious positions are open to the same level of doubt and ridicule to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Sure its a pretty shitty situation that people actually want to offend people who are believers, non-believers, or believe differently, but we should all have the right to voice our opinion even if it is offensive.


Um.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
The whole problem is that different ideologies are being able to behave differently. And worst of all its because of positive reinforcement of bad and irrational behavior.


Er.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
What does the horrible acts of the Dutch Catholic church have to do with people having the right to offend Muslims or Christians?
I was substantiating your post with another anti-catholic media article, I rarely see anything anti-islam unless it's CLEARLY STATED that these were 'mis-understanders' or 'a small minority'.

Do you think that religion or belief should be off limits to ridicule or scrutiny?
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #60
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,261
Re: First Amendment Right

I think you’ve completely missed what I was trying to say.

I absolutely do not believe religion or belief of any kind should be off limits to ridicule or scrutiny. Rather i just think its sad that people find purpose in insulting and mocking the beliefs of others. However, what I find even more unfortunate is the selective scrutiny and extremist sympathizing many of us seem to display.

I was trying to ask why are most of us okay with the NY Times allowing attacks on Catholics but not Muslims? Why is selective discrimination allowed on a variety of fronts? Im not all that outraged by the NY Times and I don’t think anyone else here is either, but shouldn’t we be? Should we care that Muslims are treated differently because people are worried about what some of them they might do?

You started a thread about a Muslim getting off for assaulting an atheist for dressing up as the Prophet Mo, and titled it First Amendment Right. To me that came across as why is offensive speech seemingly not allowed for some things but okay for others, particularly in regards to different ideologies or a nuance outside the word ideology. Whats your reason behind this thread? What do you find interesting in regards to the First Amendment and this case? Prior to knowing more about the case, why did you find the judge’s decision horrendously inept?
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34279 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25