Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Trayvon Martin Case

Debating with the enemy


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #331
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 27
Posts: 12,178
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Pretty sure that's completely false and steeped in opinion. While there may not be a media circus had the situation been reversed, I've never seen a case where murder has been praised. Anyone who praises murder is a sick individual.

Edit: Well, except maybe in cases where people kill their abusers. That tends to be a gray area.
Pretty sure I agree with you, talking about praising a murder is poppycock, except for in the latter situation you listed.
mooby is offline  

Advertisements
Old 04-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #332
Impact Rookie
 
Skins fan 44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brazil, IN
Age: 44
Posts: 883
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Where do Sharpton and Jackson actually preach? I remember years ago Sharpton use to be a good preacher. I have not heard him in awhile. It seems like all they want now is money and publicity. I have heard Jackson going up to NASCAR and saying to give the rainbow coalition money or else he will go public about being racist. Its a shame that they dont want to live the dream of the Martin Luther King Jr. speech.
__________________
HTTR!
Skins fan 44 is offline  
Old 04-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #333
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 27
Posts: 12,178
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins fan 44 View Post
Where do Sharpton and Jackson actually preach? I remember years ago Sharpton use to be a good preacher. I have not heard him in awhile. It seems like all they want now is money and publicity. I have heard Jackson going up to NASCAR and saying to give the rainbow coalition money or else he will go public about being racist. Its a shame that they dont want to live the dream of the Martin Luther King Jr. speech.
If I didn't know any better I'd swear they preach wherever the publicity is going. I'm sure standing up for African Americans, innocent or not, keeps them busy 24/7/365.
mooby is offline  
Old 04-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #334
Impact Rookie
 
Skins fan 44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brazil, IN
Age: 44
Posts: 883
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
If I didn't know any better I'd swear they preach wherever the publicity is going. I'm sure standing up for African Americans, innocent or not, keeps them busy 24/7/365.
Preach as in the gospel?
__________________
HTTR!
Skins fan 44 is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #335
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Trayvon Martin was dead nearly a full month before Al Sharpton and others got involved. I'm no Sharpton apologist by a long shot, but this was very much a grass roots movement via social media that brought attention to this murder case. It wasn't any one personality or media figure that got the ball rolling, anyone following the case closely would know that. As a matter fact, it was a white guy that works for Russell Simmons )(forget his name) who was one of the first to shine a national spotlight on it until the media would started asking the right questions.

As far as black on black crime is concerned, *sigh* that's a completely different conversation and has nothing to do with Trayvon Martin or this particular incident.
12thMan is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #336
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins fan 44 View Post
Where do Sharpton and Jackson actually preach? I remember years ago Sharpton use to be a good preacher. I have not heard him in awhile. It seems like all they want now is money and publicity. I have heard Jackson going up to NASCAR and saying to give the rainbow coalition money or else he will go public about being racist. Its a shame that they dont want to live the dream of the Martin Luther King Jr. speech.
You should follow Sharpton on Twitter if you have an account. He preaches a couple of times a month at a church in NY. He announces it.
12thMan is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #337
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

I may be off, but some of you seem to have a problem with the fact that black leaders stood up and beat the drums of justice for Trayvon and his family.
12thMan is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #338
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 27
Posts: 12,178
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins fan 44 View Post
Preach as in the gospel?
12th said it, but I was just saying if I didn't know any better I'd swear he doesn't actually preach in a church anymore. Not suprisingly I was wrong about that.
mooby is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #339
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 27
Posts: 12,178
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I may be off, but some of you seem to have a problem with the fact that black leaders stood up and beat the drums of justice for Trayvon and his family.
Some of you aka me? I just feel like they get involved in it because it suits their cause. Do they have more intimate knowledge of the case than we do? No. I feel they should withhold judgement on the situation until all the facts are known. Instead they jump in as soon as the story goes national and get everybody riled up over it. As far as I'm concerned, they should just be lumped in with the national media that has their own agenda behind the story.
mooby is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #340
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Mooby, with all due respefct you're wrong friend. They didn't jump as soon as the story went national. It took the national media a while to respond and get involved. But the parents had to air their grievance to someone, didn't they? Off the top of my head, I could name a half dozen celebs, including the Miami Heat basketball team and Ray Lewis, and a few others who have been involved one way or another. So to make this about Al Sharpton is grossly unfair an frankly inaccurate. Ben Jealous and many other civil rights leaders have pushed for an arrest. To my knowledge, I've seen Jesse Jackson appear either on TV or with the family maybe twice. That's it.

But Al Sharpton is a red herring. This story is about the Martin family, a murdered teenager, and the Sanford community rallying to their side calling for an arrest. No one's calling for Zimmerman's head or publicly pronounced him guilty.

And since we're talking about due process and justice. Let's flip the coin for a second. The system has failed George Zimmerman horribly. Instead of collecting all the facts and properly detaining him, they allowed him to walk for a 40+ days and be prosecuted in the court of public opinion. The case, the evidence, and the possibility of this young man receiving a fair trial is now seriously in question. Whether he's ultimately convicted or not, he'll never ever have a normal life again. And that is a tragedy.
12thMan is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #341
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

I agree is that the optics of Sharpton and Jackson didn't help, gave people pause, and the focus on race became magnified.
12thMan is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #342
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 27
Posts: 12,178
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Mooby, with all due respefct you're wrong friend. They didn't jump as soon as the story went national. It took the national media a while to respond and get involved. But the parents had to air their grievance to someone, didn't they? Off the top of my head, I could name a half dozen celebs, including the Miami Heat basketball team and Ray Lewis, and a few others who have been involved one way or another. So to make this about Al Sharpton is grossly unfair an frankly inaccurate. Ben Jealous and many other civil rights leaders have pushed for an arrest. To my knowledge, I've seen Jesse Jackson appear either on TV or with the family maybe twice. That's it.

But Al Sharpton is a red herring. This story is about the Martin family, a murdered teenager, and the Sanford community rallying to their side calling for an arrest. No one's calling for Zimmerman's head or publicly pronounced him guilty.

And since we're talking about due process and justice. Let's flip the coin for a second. The system has failed George Zimmerman horribly. Instead of collecting all the facts and properly detaining him, they allowed him to walk for a 40+ days and be prosecuted in the court of public opinion. The case, the evidence, and the possibility of this young man receiving a fair trial is now seriously in question. Whether he's ultimately convicted or not, he'll never ever have a normal life again. And that is a tragedy.
12th, same respect to you as you are someone whose opinions I value on these boards. With that said, I don't want to make it seem like I'm singling out Jesse/Al for their involvement with this, because the story blew up without their help, and it was only natural they get involved with it once it happened. You are right in that they aren't the only high-profile people to get involved with this, because I am aware of plenty of people trying to bring attention to the cause (the Heat wearing hoodies to the game, the politicians wearing hoodies to work and subsequently getting kicked out for it, etc.) I'm just saying that I'm lumping in Al/Jesse with everyone else already saying Zimmerman should be locked up for murder because everybody else have already made their own conclusions before all facts have been revealed, and they have done the same thing.

The popular opinion is most definitely not to withhold judgement until all facts are known, and it's like you are saying (in your last paragraph, which I completely agree with), guilty or not the rest of Zimmerman's life will be horribly stressful on him as a result of all the hate coming in his direction. Now if he is guilty of racial profiling and intentionally murdering Trayvon it's an entirely different story, but I don't think it's as one-sided as the media is portraying it.

As far as "no one's calling for Zimmerman's head" well I beg to differ. A 10k bounty for a citizen's arrest and distributing leaflets advertising Zimmerman as wanted dead or alive sounds like the NBPP calling for Zimmerman's head. Now sure, maybe they started calling for a citizen's arrest once they realized putting a bounty on someone through the press isn't a smart move, but the intention remains the same. I highly doubt they were doing anything besides trying to incite violence against Zimmerman.
mooby is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #343
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Moob, nothing but love for ya man.

The Black Panther cats are majorly upsetting and I believe it's like a total of six of them.
12thMan is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #344
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,789
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I may be off, but some of you seem to have a problem with the fact that black leaders stood up and beat the drums of justice for Trayvon and his family.

That isn't the issue at all. They seem to stand up ONLY when those crimes are committed by white or in this case hispanic races. If this guy is guilty, great, throw his sorry ass in jail. But they have basically publically tried him all ready. Remember when the last time they stood up regarding a crime. It was against a bunch of white kids from Duke, basically condeming them before facts came out. Calling them rich silver spoon fed white boys. And that came back wrong.

What I am trying to say, as pointed out in a previous statement of mine, 85% of black men that are killed are killed by other black men. I dont recall seeing their faces all over the news asking for the justice of those individuals.
#56fanatic is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #345
Impact Rookie
 
Skins fan 44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brazil, IN
Age: 44
Posts: 883
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
You should follow Sharpton on Twitter if you have an account. He preaches a couple of times a month at a church in NY. He announces it.
Thank you. I may just do that. He always does have a good message when he preaches.
__________________
HTTR!
Skins fan 44 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31558 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25