Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Trayvon Martin Case

Debating with the enemy


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #1126
Impact Rookie
 
Gary84Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 745
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Didn't watch trial. Sounds and reads like defense attorneys did an excellent job of taking what seemed to be an open and shut manslaughter (or 2nd degree murder) case, and bringing reasonable doubt. Thought, based on what I've read, the jurors ruled properly.

I don't really know what the burden of proof a self-defense case is, but the statistical evidence on conviction rates would suggest that Trayvon Martin being black was probably the difference here. Weird to live in a world where killing a un-armed teen can be at least argued as self defense. Feels like the law was fairly subjective: you CAN kill, so long as you fear (for your life, for your health, safety). Fear of course, is an abstraction. The defense painted a dead, unarmed teenager as something that someone in Zimmerman's position could be fearful of and kill.

Council of the defendant needs to work on their jokes. It's just wasn't happening for them.

I did not see any actual reason to believe that the defendant was ever in any real danger prior to the physical altercation with Martin. During the altercation, maybe I can buy that. It does take two parties to brawl. To me, I think the law should error on the side of the person who didn't own/possess a weapon, but that's just my opinion and some see justice in killing an unarmed person.

This was a weird case, to be sure. Police didn't want to press charges at all, and the prosecution's star witness (Trayvon Martin) was killed by the defendant. That's always going to skew a case, I think. I've always said that history gets written by the winners, and since Martin lost the altercation, that also gives a lot of credibility to Zimmerman's story when no one is around to contradict it (the eye-witnesses did not seem to have any role in the case except to add doses of reasonable doubt).
I agree with you on this.
Gary84Clark is offline  

Advertisements
Old 07-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #1127
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
If the prosecution had made a better case, it shouldn't have mattered who started the fight. The open/shut nature of the case is because of the way the fight ended. How the fight began is simply not a newsworthy national event. It's semantics. You can just say "they fought" and the facts of the case are unchanged.

GZ was acquitted because his team of lawyers was able to make Trayvon Martin's death a footnote in a series of semantics. They decided a 17 year old's life was collateral damage to Zimmerman's perception of the events.
It is not semantics to say you cannot be the first to throw a punch.

What you and others call "semantics", I call law and burden of proof.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline  
Old 07-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #1128
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
It is not semantics to say you cannot be the first to throw a punch.

What you and others call "semantics", I call law and burden of proof.
Zimmerman/Han Solo's presumed innocence re: the first punch/shot is solely a function of obstruction of justice (non-capitalized) because there's no credible witness around to dispute his contention. Greedo is dead, and cannot dispute any accounts of the events, because of the circumstances of the events.

It's the prosecution's duty to frame an easy case in a way so that it is semantics. They cannot prove beyond reasonable doubt that Han shot first, so they need to point out what should be obvious to everyone: that it is non applicable to the case.

If the prosecution cannot do that, they are incompetent (and their case is in trouble).
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 07-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #1129
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,597
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
If the prosecution had made a better case, it shouldn't have mattered who started the fight. The open/shut nature of the case is because of the way the fight ended. How the fight began is simply not a newsworthy national event. It's semantics. You can just say "they fought" and the facts of the case are unchanged.
The evidence is what it is, including gaps, and including just enough to know that Zimmerman *might* have feared for his life. How the fight started, how it ended, both are important in a self-defence case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
GZ was acquitted because his team of lawyers was able to make Trayvon Martin's death a footnote in a series of semantics. They decided a 17 year old's life was collateral damage to Zimmerman's perception of the events.
C'mon, you've been fairly reasonable compared to others in this thread. "Engaged" is semantics, too.

IMO, Zimmerman was acquitted because nobody could prove beyond a reasonable doubt what we're talking about. That's probably why Zimmerman's lawyers didn't even try a Stand Your Ground claim, to avoid a civil trial. Because they would have lost the SYG case for the same reason. (JoeR if you read this please feel free to correct me if you want.)
HailGreen28 is offline  
Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #1130
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,597
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Zimmerman/Han Solo's presumed innocence re: the first punch/shot is solely a function of obstruction of justice (non-capitalized) because there's no credible witness around to dispute his contention. Greedo is dead, and cannot dispute any accounts of the events, because of the circumstances of the events.
HailGreen28 is offline  
Old 07-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #1131
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,430
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Zimmerman wanted to play out his fantasy and be a tough guy cop. He engaged Martin, then got his ass beat by a 17 year and shot him. The kid was doing nothing wrong. If Zimmerman saw him breaking into a house then fine, but that simply was not the case. He got away with murder. Plain and simple. The jury should be ashamed of themselves.
Oh...so you were there eh? You saw it happen exactly like this? Well, judging by much of the evidence (from prosecutors and defense) is that it was Martin who engaged Zimmerman physically.

It's not against the law to profile somebody. It's not against the law to follow somebody. It is against the law to punch somebody in the nose and slam their head against a concrete sidewalk.

Is Zimmerman a douche bag? Of course. Did Martin's assault deserve being shot with a gun? I'm in no place to say because I simply wasn't there or in that situation. Maybe that place should put up some cameras around the neighborhood if they are having issues with break-ins.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 07-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #1132
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,430
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary84Clark View Post
Well they win, because no verdict could bring Trayvonn back. Hahahah Home Owners Association getting soaked because of a self appointed Neighborhood watchman. I bet they cuss his name every time they get the bill. Not like they live in a well to do area.
I imagine they have insurance for this sort of thing. Also, why didn't they just install cameras around the neighborhood if the area needed a "night watchman"?
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 07-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #1133
Impact Rookie
 
Gary84Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 745
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
I imagine they have insurance for this sort of thing. Also, why didn't they just install cameras around the neighborhood if the area needed a "night watchman"?
They probably couldn't afford it. Besides, that's not as romantic as strapping up and regulating the punks who always seem to get away. Maybe they always got away because they were figments? Who knows?
Gary84Clark is offline  
Old 07-15-2013, 01:23 AM   #1134
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,919
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Question time.

Let's say for the sake of argument that the bulk of GZ's story is true:

- he followed him because he thought he was suspicious for whatever reason
- he lost track of him visually so he got out of the car to confirm the address
- TM did somehow circle back and confront him
- a physical altercation ensued (let's ignore who specifically initiated the physical aspect for a moment)
- TM was kicking his ass

So the question is, given all of these speculative "facts", how does this change or not change anyone's opinion?
FRPLG is offline  
Old 07-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #1135
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Question time.

Let's say for the sake of argument that the bulk of GZ's story is true:

- he followed him because he thought he was suspicious for whatever reason
- he lost track of him visually so he got out of the car to confirm the address
- TM did somehow circle back and confront him
- a physical altercation ensued (let's ignore who specifically initiated the physical aspect for a moment)
- TM was kicking his ass

So the question is, given all of these speculative "facts", how does this change or not change anyone's opinion?
Well, knowing that GZ's story is valid would give his account of the events a credibility he would have not otherwise earned.

Ultimately though, it doesn't really change the case at all. GZ's story could be 100% accurate, and the self defense case is still incredibly weak. Even given the above, he's not in life threatening danger. He is the victim of battery.

I don't know if Zimmerman shot Martin with the intent to kill, but if that was his way of protecting himself, it's the equivalent of detonating a nuclear missile to protect oneself from a gunman. Effective, but with serious consequences. Until acquittal.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 07-15-2013, 02:28 AM   #1136
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
The evidence is what it is, including gaps, and including just enough to know that Zimmerman *might* have feared for his life. How the fight started, how it ended, both are important in a self-defence case.

C'mon, you've been fairly reasonable compared to others in this thread. "Engaged" is semantics, too.

IMO, Zimmerman was acquitted because nobody could prove beyond a reasonable doubt what we're talking about. That's probably why Zimmerman's lawyers didn't even try a Stand Your Ground claim, to avoid a civil trial. Because they would have lost the SYG case for the same reason. (JoeR if you read this please feel free to correct me if you want.)
I'm trying to call attention to the impact of the court ruling, without actually criticizing the ruling based on the cases made in court. It's a fine line to walk and I realize that I might appear both reasonable and unreasonable at different points in a post based on what you believe. I'm not trying to be anything other than truthful.

I am not doubting that Zimmerman might have legitimately feared for his life at some point during the altercation (though that can be questioned by a skeptic), but:

1) the ability to construct a situation in ones mind where they overstate the immediate threat is not to be confused with self-defense, a situation that necessarily requires a credible threat.

2) the mental construct for Zimmerman of immediate danger would have to be linked more tightly to "black thug guy" than "unarmed teenager" in order to justify lethal force. The problem is that the former construct is based heavily on either a poor understanding of race relations at best, or blatant racism at worst. When we deal with facts, we know that Martin was both unarmed, and a teenager, and to go beyond that in terms of character requires a breach of respect for mankind I am not willing to make.

George Zimmerman is likely not an expert on anything. He's probably a racist. He probably didn't intend to kill someone, but he WAS willing to shoot someone who he saw as different/less than human. He made a mistake. I don't think he was defending himself from immediate danger, and I don't think the evidence suggests that was in very much danger.

I do think it's very questionable reasoning to so much as suggest that Zimmerman acted lawfully. Obviously, a criminal trial is not trying to argue that he acted lawfully, but rather, that he did not act unlawfully beyond reasonable doubt. Also: he shot and killed someone. The state of Florida is likely going to want to be very careful about how they apply the law in similar cases, after ruling that someone can shoot and kill, without acting unlawfully (beyond a reasonable doubt).
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 07-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #1137
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,919
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Well, knowing that GZ's story is valid would give his account of the events a credibility he would have not otherwise earned.

Ultimately though, it doesn't really change the case at all. GZ's story could be 100% accurate, and the self defense case is still incredibly weak. Even given the above, he's not in life threatening danger. He is the victim of battery.

I don't know if Zimmerman shot Martin with the intent to kill, but if that was his way of protecting himself, it's the equivalent of detonating a nuclear missile to protect oneself from a gunman. Effective, but with serious consequences. Until acquittal.
The flaw in your argument is that is ASSUMES a great deal. I think there is a valid question to be asked regarding GZ's state of mind as he was engaged in the fight. Absolutely one of the most key questions. The only problem is that no one can ever know what his state of mind was. Even TM didn't know. In fact in every self-defense claim no one can know so it has to be up to the prosecution to show via evidence and common-sense that the threat didn't reach the level necessary to fire a gun in self-defense. What evidence did the prosecution provide? Not much in my opinion.
FRPLG is offline  
Old 07-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #1138
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,919
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
He's probably a racist.
This is one issue that is driving me nuts. There really is no evidence of this at all. In fact the prosecution never brought it up because there is so little evidence. The fact that TM was black meant one thing... it was a defining characteristic that made him look, to GZ, similar to other assailants who had perpetrated some crimes in the neighborhood. It would be really easy to process this whole situation collectively if in fact we could make a reasonable assumption of his racism but I just don't see it. I think if the case could have been made, even weakly, the prosecution would have done so. The racist aspect has been laid out there from the beginning by grand-standing politicians, ne'er-do-well media, and folks with specific agendas. To me, focusing on TM's race and insinuating GZ's racism only seeks to further impair race-relations.
FRPLG is offline  
Old 07-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #1139
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,996
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGIII View Post
Zimmerman might as well denied shooting Martin. He lied about everything else and the jury went with it.


Time for people to move on.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Old 07-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #1140
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,094
Re: Trayvon Martin Case

What happens every day?
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33110 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25