Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #181
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,317
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Not really, yes in NC,SC,Texas......but not here in maryland,so take it for what it is worth.Point of fact...Chick-fil-A.....didn't have a veiw ...the owner did but most of the resturants are franchises and had to deal with the fallout.Problem is this isn't the first time he has done this ,he has made some questionable donations to certan groups that have also brought negative attention to the company.


Chick-fil-A Touts Bible and Antigay Donations in Statement | Advocate.com

In the new statement, the PR leader still reiterates the importance of the company's "biblically-based principles" and even brags about sending "a percentage of our profits back to our communities." Equality Matters first exposed Chick-fil-A for actually donating millions to antigay groups including the Family Research Council and the Marriage and Family Foundation. In 2010 alone, it gave $2 million to antigay groups.
Downplay it if you want, but the pictures from CFAs nationwide don't lie. Here in VA, lines were around the store and up the street...and the customers were diverse.

From your link, CFA corporate statement: "The Chick-fil-A culture and service tradition in our restaurants is to treat every person with honor, dignity and respect — regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender," said the statement provided to CNN by spokesman Don Perry. "We will continue this tradition in the over 1,600 Restaurants run by independent Owner/Operators. Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena."


CFA isn't ashamed or trying to hide their donations to FRC and MFA, nor should they be. Equality Matters exposed nothing. If being sound on one's principles makes for "record-setting" sales......I'm sure CFA would like to be more exposed by Equality Matters.

If folks don't want to eat there because of the owner's religious views....then don't. If people don't want to frequent Starbucks or buy Nabisco because they are "anti-traditional marriage"....then they shouldn't. My point is gov't doesn't have any right to discriminate against a business because of the owner's beliefs....PERIOD.

A majority in this country don't support gay "marriage". Many who don't support gay "marriage" couldn't give a rat's hind-quarters about civil unions or what folks do on their own time between consenting adults. Because someone doesn't support gay marriage doesn't mean he/she is a homophobe or anti-gay. What works in NY & CA doesn't work in KS, SC, TX, the gay marriage debate is something to be decided by states.

BTW, should pro-choice folks be labeled as "anti-unborn child". Same-old, same-old double standards from the left.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #182
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Not really about winning anything, but informing people of things they might not understand or know. Ignorance is a lock, knowledge is the key.
Okay fair enough. And dont get me wrong. McDonald's line up of new sauces are awesome, im not knocking those at all. I just think their McBites suck.




Quote:
The reason this wasn't answered because the answer really doesn't matter. My guess is that they would be subjected to more adversity, but that means nothing in the grand scheme of it. The fact is, bigotry and hate is wrong, regardless if people's religion says so. Should blacks move out of the south because more racism tends to exist there? When we start conforming to the people who are in the wrong, is when our country will go to hell in a hand basket. Want to see how F'd up religion will destroy your country, look at Iran and many of the Middle Eastern countries with radical Islam.
Im not saying anything about people being forced to move from one place to another or not be protected at all costs when attacked. And I HATE Iran. But only because Fox told me too.

Quote:
You have to make a stand at some point against your oppressors. It happened with women's rights. It happened with rights for African Americans...and the fight will continue for equal rights among all human beings regardless of their race, religion, or sexual preference.
Could not agree more.


Quote:
Absolutely not. Your logic of backing down because bigotry exists doesn't make sense and all it does is negatively enforce the bigots actions that his bigotry makes a impact so he will continue on. Should black people not have children since racism exists? That's about the logic you are trying to use (or so it appears). Your assertion that children shouldn't be used to combat bigotry is off base, and assumes/implies that gay couples will run out and adopt just to fight for their rights.
Youre not hearing (reading?) what im saying (typing?).

Me:

If the state has taken custody of a kid, via foster care or some other means, it has the responsibility to protect the welfare the child above everything else before remitting control, even if it means compromising the liberty of others. The kids liberty comes first and above all other involved parties.

Examples:

A couple wants to adopt a little kid via public adoption.

Reasons to exercise caution:

1) The person/couple is gay and lives in Greenville NC

2) The person/couple has a pool or train tracks in their back yard

3) The person/couple lives in a particularly dangerous area and refuses to move

4) The person/couple lives with a felon

5) The person/couple practices a religion that excludes certain types of medial treatment

6) The person/couple wants to use the child as a spokes model to fight bigotry

Reasons not to to use additional caution:

1) The immediate and foreseeable living conditions of the person/couple present no obvious "adversity" or harm to the child
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #183
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
If I were to boycott everything that I stood against, chances are I wouldn't spend any of my money ever again.


Banks - part of the biggest swindle in US history. (legally at that)
Corporation- responsible for injecting money into politics to help favor their business models and avoid taxes.
Oil - a good bit of our oil comes from OPEC which is comprised of countries, who support inhumane religious practices and beliefs.


Chances are, I can find something that a company funds that I don't agree with. That said, I don't go to chick-fil-a often as is, but I have no problem staying away from them either.

Also, I find it sad that christians can go out of their way to support anti-gay measures, yet can't do the same for say...homeless people or other individuals in need. Which would you consider a pressing issue?


One more for the lulz:


Thats just one stupid statement from a totally stupid post. You really think that churches do nothing to feed the hiomeless? Who do you think supports and pays for most soup kitchens. It seem you need to get out and voluter some and see how much churches actuall y do to help the community.


Soup kitchen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


I see you have problems with Companies donating money to politicians. Do you have the same problem with unions that do the same thing?

Whats the swindle of the banks?

Last edited by firstdown; 08-02-2012 at 10:45 PM.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #184
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
What additional challenges beyond other people's bigotry and hatred do they have? So they shouldn't be parents because bigotry and hatred exist? So we should conform to the bigots instead of the other way around?


I still see you and mlmpetert had nothing to say about that bogus study being exposed. I assume both of your silence means point noted and accepted.
You made my point. I never said if it was right or wrong I just said they have additional chalanges.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #185
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,408
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Thats just one stupid statement from a totally stupid post. You really think that churches do nothing to feed the hiomeless? Who do you think supports and pays for most soup kitchens. It seem you need to get out and voluter some and see how much churches actuall y do to help the community.
First off, I've never claimed that churches didn't help people, nor did I say they didn't help feed the needy so not sure how you pulled that out of what I said. I said it's a shame they can't "go out of their way" to help the homeless like this. If I'm wrong about that, can you please show me where any lines were 3 hours long or cars backed up for miles just to help out the homeless and needy? I'll pull up a chair and wait on this...


FYI: I grew up in a christian home, I live in the bible belt, I went to a private christian school.




What is this posted for? I know what a soup kitchen is. You got any numbers of how many hours and money are put in by the church as opposed to non-church? I'll wait patiently.


Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I see you have problems with Companies donating money to politicians. Do you have the same problem with unions that do the same thing?

Whats the swindle of the banks?
Well, unions are there to help the workers fight off baron robbers. That said, I think unions can be, at times, destructive and inefficient in the grand scheme of things. I think you missed the whole point. The whole point was for me to list a few basic things that encompass our daily spending(gas, goods, savings) that are used for things we may not endorse. It's not that complicated, but if you would like me to submit a 20 page document, than I'll need you to pay pal me some money over for my time.

You seriously need me to tell you what the banks did?...lol Bailouts? Look at what's going on in the UK with LIBOR. Common man!
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 08-03-2012 at 12:40 AM.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #186
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,408
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
You made my point. I never said if it was right or wrong I just said they have additional chalanges.
Well, a handicap person has additional challenges. Females have additional challenges. Minorities have additional challenges. Not sure what point you are trying to make that kids growing up a homosexual home have additional challenges. That's kind of a obvious statement captain. Are you implying that because they have additional challenges that it is a legit reason for gay couples to not be parents?
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #187
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,408
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Im not saying anything about people being forced to move from one place to another or not be protected at all costs when attacked. And I HATE Iran. But only because Fox told me too.
Not sure why the hate for Iran. Did you know that Iran was once a country on the rise in terms of civilization, much like we were back in the 60's and 70s?

Iran in 1960s and 1970s « News About Iran

Our CIA and foreign policy put a stop to all that. That is something Fox News isn't going to tell you.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Youre not hearing (reading?) what im saying (typing?).

Me:

If the state has taken custody of a kid, via foster care or some other means, it has the responsibility to protect the welfare the child above everything else before remitting control, even if it means compromising the liberty of others. The kids liberty comes first and above all other involved parties.

Examples:

A couple wants to adopt a little kid via public adoption.

Reasons to exercise caution:

1) The person/couple is gay and lives in Greenville NC

2) The person/couple has a pool or train tracks in their back yard

3) The person/couple lives in a particularly dangerous area and refuses to move


4) The person/couple lives with a felon


5) The person/couple practices a religion that excludes certain types of medial treatment

6) The person/couple wants to use the child as a spokes model to fight bigotry

Reasons not to to use additional caution:

1) The immediate and foreseeable living conditions of the person/couple present no obvious "adversity" or harm to the child
Three out of your six are legitimate concerns I suppose, but the other three are equivalent to playing the straw man card. Nobody is going to get a kid to fight bigotry, they have protests and other legal actions for that. No need to get a kid who's going to create a ton of expense to champion the cause. Number one is so far off base and out of touch with the reality of things. Again, racism is still alive and deep rooted in the south so would they let any family adopt a black kid in Greenville, NC because of the potential hostility and racism shown? They aren't going to base adoption of something such as that. You are basically suggesting what I mentioned prior.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #188
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,075
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

This is really becoming so silly, its insane to see how this country is so media driven. Its really amazing.

Its rare we get to hear what companies support outside the business world unless its a charitable organization, I think lessen learned from Oreo's maker and Chickfila is to keep quiet. I dont mind when people or corporation use their first admendant right, even if I dont agree, but I sick of the god damn media and talking heads on cable and radio driving their extreme, hate filled rhetoric home.These people dont want to talk about the legit issue, they just want to throw punches. We get suckered into it and Chickfila in the end gets paid.
__________________
@RSherman_25 just make sure you stay in Seattle cause without that pass rush you are who we thought you were. 5th rd PK no speed good hands

— DeAngelo Hall (@DeAngeloHall23) March 14, 2014
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #189
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Video of CFAs in Springfield, Falls Church and Crystal City. AND theres a pretty hot chick right after the 3 minute mark.

Checking Out Chick-fil-A 'Appreciation Day' | MRCTV

Yesterday’s “Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day” was huge across the country. MRCTV’s Dan Joseph and crew traveled to several Chick-fil-A locations around the DC area to interview some of the many Americans who came to support traditional marriage and freedom of speech.

“It’s a shame we can’t say what we think these days,” protested one woman. Another added, “We’re protesting, you know, the media and everybody trying to say it’s hate. I don’t hate anybody.” Joseph even found a huge line in Springfield, Virginia at 2 pm – hardly the lunch rush:

Read more: MRCTV Films at Chick-fil-A: Crowds In Favor of Free Speech, Against Media 'Hate' Labels | NewsBusters.org
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #190
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

God's Will?

Chick-fil-A spokesman dies amid furor over same-sex marriage | Nation/world Business | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #191
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Good read:

I Support Justin Durant And Chick-Fil-A « CBS Detroit

Quote:
Let me take this opportunity to applaud Lions linebacker Justin Durant. First of all, he made me laugh. Someone on Durant’s Twitter asked him if he would stop eating at Chick-Fil-A if the owner supported slavery. He tweeted back: “Chicken too tasty.” Good joke, and excellent use of fighting hyperbole with humor.
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #192
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
First off, I've never claimed that churches didn't help people, nor did I say they didn't help feed the needy so not sure how you pulled that out of what I said. I said it's a shame they can't "go out of their way" to help the homeless like this. If I'm wrong about that, can you please show me where any lines were 3 hours long or cars backed up for miles just to help out the homeless and needy? I'll pull up a chair and wait on this...


FYI: I grew up in a christian home, I live in the bible belt, I went to a private christian school.






What is this posted for? I know what a soup kitchen is. You got any numbers of how many hours and money are put in by the church as opposed to non-church? I'll wait patiently.




Well, unions are there to help the workers fight off baron robbers. That said, I think unions can be, at times, destructive and inefficient in the grand scheme of things. I think you missed the whole point. The whole point was for me to list a few basic things that encompass our daily spending(gas, goods, savings) that are used for things we may not endorse. It's not that complicated, but if you would like me to submit a 20 page document, than I'll need you to pay pal me some money over for my time.

You seriously need me to tell you what the banks did?...lol Bailouts? Look at what's going on in the UK with LIBOR. Common man!
You have never been to a BBQ to raise money for a church which feeds the poor. People pack churches every week and they pass a tray to make donations. Hell just 3 months back we had over 500 people waiting in lines to buy food and beer to help the poor. Having a golf event on Sept 7 which will have around 140 golfers at $100 a man to raise money for the poor. I could a 100 pages on people gathering to help rais money for the poor so you can quit waiting. Maybe you should try joing an organization that helps the poor and you would actually see what people do to help them.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #193
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
This is really becoming so silly, its insane to see how this country is so media driven. Its really amazing.

Its rare we get to hear what companies support outside the business world unless its a charitable organization, I think lessen learned from Oreo's maker and Chickfila is to keep quiet. I dont mind when people or corporation use their first admendant right, even if I dont agree, but I sick of the god damn media and talking heads on cable and radio driving their extreme, hate filled rhetoric home.These people dont want to talk about the legit issue, they just want to throw punches. We get suckered into it and Chickfila in the end gets paid.

At first i thought CFA might lose Chick Fil A Bowl, but after the overwhelming support yesterday i dont see it happening. So I think from a business perspective all of this has been very good for Oreo and CFA.

Could not agree more about the media.

But i dont think this issue is going away anytime soon. Its probably gonna get worse. The Democratic Party just tenitvely voted to endorse same sex marriage:

Democrats Back Gay Marriage for Party Platform - WSJ.com

This was before Chick Fil A Day so who knows if theyll backpeddel at all?

But I dont think federally supporting gay marriage does anything or could do anything in the next 20 or so years. Heck, the Civil Rights Act didnt even force states to allow interacial marriages. No chance we see an admendment for gay marraige anytime soon. Probably a decent chance at a Supreme Court ruling within 20 years, although im sure a ruling would be complicated.

Meanwhile the Republicans have boxed themselves in a corner, not for being anti gay marriage, but by being so positive traditional marriage. The answer should have always been that they personally think marriage is between 1 man and 1 women; however, that they believe the government has no business being in our bedrooms or being part of something that is ultimately a commitment between 2 people and God.

That gets the independent vote and retains nearly all of the base. Instead Republicans continue to preach small government while doing the opposite.
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #194
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,238
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

LMAO!

Watch this vid.
Vante exec makes video of himself harrasing a Chic Fil A employee.
His boss sees it and fires him.
What an idiot!

Vante CFO Bullies Chick-Fil-A Worker, Then Promptly Gets Fired For It - Business Insider
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #195
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,075
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
LMAO!

Watch this vid.
Vante exec makes video of himself harrasing a Chic Fil A employee.
His boss sees it and fires him.
What an idiot!

Vante CFO Bullies Chick-Fil-A Worker, Then Promptly Gets Fired For It - Business Insider
jeez, people are just effing morons. thats right go take it out on a cashier, wow. this guy was in a leadership position. Sell all of your stock in Vante immediately
__________________
@RSherman_25 just make sure you stay in Seattle cause without that pass rush you are who we thought you were. 5th rd PK no speed good hands

— DeAngelo Hall (@DeAngeloHall23) March 14, 2014
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.38732 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25