Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #91
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,702
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Let's not start generalizing
I made the clear distinction of "why does it seem", and not a "why are all".

No generalizing was done here.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #92
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,702
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
For the people who do not understand the opposition to gay marriage are you not religious at all, atheist, or what? I'm neither but I understand the opposition.
The problem here is that this amendment or any of the legislation being passed isn't asking if you agree with homosexuality. It's asking if you agree to give them equal rights. That's the problem here. By voting against it, it doesn't mean you are in favor of homosexuality.

If you were to ask most of the people voting for it, they were probably voting for it for the wrong reason and were "proving their morality" by denying gays rights. This is where I think ignorance plays a part. It's learning to find out what the real issue here is, and what am I really voting for and does that in some way change my morality. Most people went into it thinking "I do not believe in homosexuality, so therefore I'm voting in favor of anything against homosexuality, regardless of what harm it causes." Instead of saying......."I'm voting against anything that would restrict the rights of a fellow human being even though I do not agree with homosexuality."


According to the Bible, we should stone gay people. People of different religions should not marrying. Divorce is not a option.

So how about those beliefs? You want me to believe that they are voting because of their religious beliefs, yet they choose to ignore those other requirements set forth by their own religion. This isn't about their beliefs, it's about using their beliefs as a means to hate and discriminate against.

God is against pornography. (porn is one of biggest business on internet) This value is ignored.
God is against divorce. ....yet divorce rate is well above 50%. This value is ignored.
God is against crime. Crime rates are high. This value is ignored.
God is against destroying your body. (obesity rates sky high, smokers, drinkers) This value is ignored.

God is against gays. OMG WE MUST HOLD TRUE TO OUR VIRTUES AND MORALITY.


Yeah guys, we aren't really going to hold to our morality ground unless it involves gay people!! THEN we'll make a stand!!
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 05-15-2012 at 06:55 PM.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #93
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,765
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
GOP Rep. Lankford Explains Why It Should Be Legal To Fire Someone For Being Gay: 'It's A Choice Issue' | ThinkProgress


Why does it seem all the conservative + religious people are stupid as hell?


It's amazing how many people think that homosexuality is a choice.
You have no room to talk after that comment.
__________________
"Fire Up That Diesel!"
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #94
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 13,717
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

House rejects Thorne-Begland for judgeship as social conservatives prevail | Richmond Times-Dispatch

House of Delegates embarrassing again.
__________________
“Nobody’s going to be handed a job; not my standpoint, and I know Jay feels that way and I know Bruce feels the same way. You have to earn it. That’s what the NFL is about. Prove to me that you deserve to be on the field,’ and that’s the way it has to be in the NFL.”- McC
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #95
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
For the people who do not understand the opposition to gay marriage are you not religious at all, atheist, or what? I'm neither but I understand the opposition.
Was that directed at me?

For clarity, I'm opposed to any and all religions. Not exactly an Atheist, more anti-theist.

If you're neither religious nor Atheist are you an Agnostic? That always seems to be a bizarre position.

More clarity: Marriages are formal union within a religion between a man and a woman, recognized by law. This means to me that religion and religious groups have the right to say no to gay marriage. This also means that anyone should see that there is an inherent flaw (but this is just one of many) in religion.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #96
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,702
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
You have no room to talk after that comment.
How so? Or did you put words/meaning into my statement that isn't there. I'll break this down for you on the key words in that sentence so there is no confusion.

Why does it seem
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #97
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
One of the main reason marriage was originally formed was for procreation. Last time I checked two women nor two men can have children on their own so I'm not sure thats a flaw.
You don't need to be married to procreate, so that's clearly not true.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #98
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,261
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
I made the clear distinction of "why does it seem", and not a "why are all".

No generalizing was done here.

Smootsmack probably never went to college, youll have to forgive him.....



Come on man! You cant just remove the most important adjective of the sentance in trying to make your point. Its:

"why does it seem all" vs "why are all"

Both are generalizations.
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #99
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,261
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post

I'm continually appalled by college graduates who have credentials and no common sense, no social graces and a fundamental lack of rational thought process.

__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #100
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
You don't need to be married to procreate, so that's clearly not true.
We do see that and with the tearing down of the family clearly we see the results of single parent families on society and children today.
That's just bad parenting, not a lack of religion.

We, as a race, have tried 'more' religion. It didn't work.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #101
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

I heard that was SS in drag, no evidence to refute it so far.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #102
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,765
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
The problem here is that this amendment or any of the legislation being passed isn't asking if you agree with homosexuality. It's asking if you agree to give them equal rights. That's the problem here. By voting against it, it doesn't mean you are in favor of homosexuality.
Christians believe that homosexuality is a sin. Voting against the Marriage Amendment would mean allowing the government to change the definition of marriage, and in turn, would mean that the Christian is agreeing to validating something that they believe is a sin; which in turn, that validation would be a sin within itself. It has nothing to do with Christians wanting to deny anybody rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
If you were to ask most of the people voting for it, they were voting for it for the wrong reason and were "proving their morality" by denying gays rights. This is where I think ignorance plays a part. It's learning to find out what the real issue here is, and what am I really voting for and does that in some way change my morality. Most people went into it thinking "I do not believe in homosexuality, so therefore I'm voting in favor of anything against homosexuality, regardless of what harm it causes." Instead of saying......."I'm voting against anything that would restrict the rights of a fellow human being even though I do not agree with homosexuality."
Really? How did you come to the conclusion that MOST people who voted for the amendment stated your above mentioned reason? Do you have a list of all names that voted in favor of the amendment and a quote from each and every person?


Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
According to the Bible, we should stone gay people. People of different religions should not marrying. Divorce is not a option.
You're obviously not a bible scholar. According to the Old Testament, under the Mosaic Law, it was called upon by God that ALL sin be punished by death. This isn't limited to homosexuality, but murder, adultery, robbery, rape, etc...we are no longer under THAT law according to the bible. Because Jesus Christ died on the cross for all sin, for all people, He bought salvation for humanity, so that all who come to Christ with a repentance heart has all sin forgiven. The bible also goes on to state that God was still a merciful God in those days after he spared King David's life when David committed sin. I don't remember you mentioning anything like that.

Secondly, the bible does state people from different religions should not marry because of being unequally yoked. I can tell you, for first hand experience, there are plenty of issues with that. Religion isn't just something people believe, it's a way of life, so having two people who are deeply rooted in their different faiths marry can be quite confusing to future children. Certainly you're not going to understand the importance, because you general seem to have a dislike for those of faith. I'm also not quite sure what this has to do with the thread anyway. And moreover, the divorce. If God puts two people together, let no one else separate. So, God hates divorce amongst His followers. The bible does state that divorce is permitted for reasons of adultery. So, if two people that God puts together divorce, that divorce is sin.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
So how about those beliefs? You want me to believe that they are voting because of their religious beliefs, yet they choose to ignore those other requirements set forth by their own religion. This isn't about their beliefs, it's about using their beliefs as a means to hate and discriminate against

God is against pornography. (porn is one of biggest business on internet) This value is ignored.
God is against divorce. ....yet divorce rate is well above 50%. This value is ignored.
God is against crime. Crime rates are high. This value is ignored.
God is against destroying your body. (obesity rates sky high, smokers, drinkers) This value is ignored.

God is against gays. OMG WE MUST HOLD TRUE TO OUR VIRTUES AND MORALITY.


Yeah guys, we aren't really going to hold to our morality ground unless it involves gay people!! THEN we'll make a stand!!
Again, I want to know how many of those who voted in favor of the Marriage Amendment are divorcees, hooked on pornography, commits crime, and are heavy smokers, drinkers, and obese. Give me names, addresses, numbers, and your proof to back up what you claim. Otherwise, you're just spreading hate yourself. You haven't shown yourself to be any better a person than those you convict. I have no doubt there were some very ignorant people who voted for the amendment because of very ignorant reasons, but to sit there and say most people who voted for it does because of A, B, or C is ignorant in itself, because you don't know the reasoning that every person who voted for this thing had went through prior to voting day. You don't know their lives, you don't know their education, you don't know a thing about any of them, so don't sit there and be so smug in assuming you know people's reasoning as it pertains to this. It's all very opinionated assumptions, none of which were based on any facts at all.

Are there any ignorant people out there who use their Christian faith for the wrong things? Sure there are! Just like there are ignorant atheists, ignorant Catholics, ignorant Muslims, ignorant Agnostics, etc.... nobody is perfect! But to put each and every religious person under the same label of hate shows as much, if not more ignorance and hate on your behave. You, my friend, fall under the same label of intolerance as those who you convict. However, even despite all of that, I would still give my life to save yours and your family if it was called for me to do so. I have a general love for all people, even those that are quite tough to show a hand of fellowship to. The biggest thing you need to understand is Christianity is not defined by those small hate groups such as the Westboro Baptist Church for instance. Just like I'm sure you'd be object at the thought that all atheists are Satan worshipers who kill little children and animals. The smallest and most radical groups are usually the ones with the loudest voice. Just remember that the next time you decide to through out your hate to others.
__________________
"Fire Up That Diesel!"
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #103
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Just like I'm sure you'd be object at the thought that all atheists are Satan worshipers who kill little children and animals.
Why would anyone think that Atheists are satanists, given the definition of Atheist?

The rest is just defensive posturing. Religion is wrong.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #104
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,702
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Christians believe that homosexuality is a sin. Voting against the Marriage Amendment would mean allowing the government to change the definition of marriage, and in turn, would mean that the Christian is agreeing to validating something that they believe is a sin; which in turn, that validation would be a sin within itself. It has nothing to do with Christians wanting to deny anybody rights.
Keep thinking that guy. This amendment not only snuffed the rights out for gay people, but also for the rights of man and women civil unions and domestic partnerships. SO, in order to "do right by god", they didn't mind destroying a crap ton of other rights for individuals (women, men, children) and benefits. Can you show me ONE verse in the bible that allows christian's to judge others, or even allows them to decide the fate of "sinners"? One verse? I'll be waiting.





Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Really? How did you come to the conclusion that MOST people who voted for the amendment stated your above mentioned reason? Do you have a list of all names that voted in favor of the amendment and a quote from each and every person?

I wasn't coming to that conclusion, nor was I stating a fact. Hence I said, "If you were to ask", but I should have put the word "probably" in there to denote a hunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
You're obviously not a bible scholar. According to the Old Testament, under the Mosaic Law, it was called upon by God that ALL sin be punished by death. This isn't limited to homosexuality, but murder, adultery, robbery, rape, etc...we are no longer under THAT law according to the bible. Because Jesus Christ died on the cross for all sin, for all people, He bought salvation for humanity, so that all who come to Christ with a repentance heart has all sin forgiven. The bible also goes on to state that God was still a merciful God in those days after he spared King David's life when David committed sin. I don't remember you mentioning anything like that.
Wait....so let's go back to christian logic.

Random guy: Didn't the bible say this about your religion?
Christian response: We don't use the Old Testament anymore b/c Jesus died for our sins.

Random guy: Where does it say anything about homosexuality in the bible?
Christian response: It states clearly in the old testament.

Wait....so either you use the old testament...or you don't. You can't pick and ****ing choose guy. You are using verses to back up your silly logic and reasoning, but omitting others by saying they don't apply anymore.


Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Secondly, the bible does state people from different religions should not marry because of being unequally yoked. I can tell you, for first hand experience, there are plenty of issues with that. Religion isn't just something people believe, it's a way of life, so having two people who are deeply rooted in their different faiths marry can be quite confusing to future children. Certainly you're not going to understand the importance, because you general seem to have a dislike for those of faith. I'm also not quite sure what this has to do with the thread anyway. And moreover, the divorce. If God puts two people together, let no one else separate. So, God hates divorce amongst His followers. The bible does state that divorce is permitted for reasons of adultery. So, if two people that God puts together divorce, that divorce is sin.
So since the divorce rate is higher in NC, than most states, wouldn't it be ironic and downright hypocritical that most of these people voting in favor of it are doing so because their religion says so? Since gay people can't marry, this would only mean the divorce rate is among the god fearing men/women of the state eh?




Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Again, I want to know how many of those who voted in favor of the Marriage Amendment are divorcees, hooked on pornography, commits crime, and are heavy smokers, drinkers, and obese. Give me names, addresses, numbers, and your proof to back up what you claim. Otherwise, you're just spreading hate yourself. You haven't shown yourself to be any better a person than those you convict. I have no doubt there were some very ignorant people who voted for the amendment because of very ignorant reasons, but to sit there and say most people who voted for it does because of A, B, or C is ignorant in itself, because you don't know the reasoning that every person who voted for this thing had went through prior to voting day. You don't know their lives, you don't know their education, you don't know a thing about any of them, so don't sit there and be so smug in assuming you know people's reasoning as it pertains to this. It's all very opinionated assumptions, none of which were based on any facts at all.
I think you are taking my quote, and running with it even though it's not there. Let me share you my background. I grew up in a christian home. I went to a christian school. my family is still christian. I have seen how christians think and act all my life. I have never seen a bigger group of hypocrites in my life then the christian church.



Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Are there any ignorant people out there who use their Christian faith for the wrong things? Sure there are! Just like there are ignorant atheists, ignorant Catholics, ignorant Muslims, ignorant Agnostics, etc.... nobody is perfect! But to put each and every religious person under the same label of hate shows as much, if not more ignorance and hate on your behave. You, my friend, fall under the same label of intolerance as those who you convict. However, even despite all of that, I would still give my life to save yours and your family if it was called for me to do so. I have a general love for all people, even those that are quite tough to show a hand of fellowship to. The biggest thing you need to understand is Christianity is not defined by those small hate groups such as the Westboro Baptist Church for instance. Just like I'm sure you'd be object at the thought that all atheists are Satan worshipers who kill little children and animals. The smallest and most radical groups are usually the ones with the loudest voice. Just remember that the next time you decide to through out your hate to others.
I suggest you look up what intolerant is. If I were intolerant, I would be asking for legislation to neuter these people so they could not breed their beliefs into this world. If I were intolerant, I would be requesting all religion banned and they muzzled. As it is, I am not. MY problem with these people is that their religion is affecting other people's lives.

Let's do the math here.

Gay marriages would impact the church or christian people in no way, shape, form or fashion.

Christian bigotry and "beliefs" deny people the right to have benefits, civil unions, and marriages.

Who's the "intolerant" ones around here? Looks like the vast majority (62%) of christians.


On a side note, I know 4 people right off the top off my head that voted for it and have been divorced(one of them married 3 times). Yet, had the nerve to post on facebook about the "Sanctity of Marriage". /facepalm
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #105
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,702
Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Virginia Republicans Deny Judgeship to Gay Prosecutor - Yahoo! News


I guess god told them to vote against the gay guy as well. By voting against him, it proves our strong beliefs we have in god, even though I''ll most likely go out and do something later tonight that god said I shouldn't do.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.44688 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25