Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


2012 Presidential Election (free for all edition)

Debating with the enemy


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #346
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,585
Re: 2012 Presidential Election (free for all edition)

More facts you say?

FactCheck.org : Romney’s Impossible Tax Promise


You were saying? Unbiased you say?

Quote:
But he has steadfastly refused to say which tax preferences would be cut or reduced. He has pointed to the revenue-neutral proposals for rate-cutting put forth by the deficit commission as evidence that what he proposes is possible in theory, but those proposals pay for the cuts largely by taxing capital gains at the higher rates that apply to ordinary income, a measure Romney has specifically ruled out.

So Romney has failed to produce evidence that what he promises is possible. And we judge that the weight of evidence and expert opinion is clear — it’s not possible.

Quote:
But Romney’s claim that he can somehow slash individual income tax rates without losing federal revenue or favoring the wealthy remains at best unproven, and in our judgment, based on available evidence, impossible.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  

Advertisements
Old 08-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #347
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,585
Re: 2012 Presidential Election (free for all edition)

__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #348
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,347
Re: 2012 Presidential Election (free for all edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Ever notice when conservatives decry Obama socialism they rarely, if ever, point to an actual policy signed into law?
- ObamaCare isn't a socialist policy?
- U.S. ownership in GM isn't a socialist policy (read $ 23B redistribution of taxpayer dollars to a union)?
- Under ObamaCare the Department of Education took control of the student loan program thereby eliminating their partnership with banks. Before this happened banks such as Citi and Bank of America provided federal loans, private loans, what have you. Now the government provides loans and banks are no longer able to offer any type of loan to students as a result. This isn't socialist?
- FCC Net Neutrality rules aren't socialist? As stated by Robert McChesney, founder of Free Press, a group with deep ties to the Obama administration, the FCC, and the FTC, “At the moment, the battle over network neutrality is not to completely eliminate the telephone and cable companies. We are not at that point yet. But the ultimate goal is to get rid of the media capitalists in the phone and cable companies and to divest them from control.”
He also said, "Our struggle to make the Internet into a public utility conflicts with the interests of telephone and cable firms. So it is a tough fight, but a very important one."
- Proposing budgets with 1T+ defecits and no reform to entitlements that will bankrupt the U.S. in our lifetimes, knowing the only way out of financial collapse is massive tax increase isn't socialist?
- supporting an increase in the Death Tax isn't socialist?
- The National Defense Resources Preparedness Executive Order giving the WH control over ALL food, water resources and transportation isn't a socialist policy? If this is so desparately needed why the F is Obama cutting defense?
Obama: Holy crap we've got a major war on the horizon with China, Iran, and Lichtenstein. I've got to issue an Executive Order that will allow me to control all natural resources (including water) in the U.S.
SECDEF Panetta: Should I prepare a budget with more funding to ramp up?
Obama: LOL, we're cutting your budget!
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #349
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,347
Re: 2012 Presidential Election (free for all edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
More facts you say?

FactCheck.org : Romney’s Impossible Tax Promise


You were saying? Unbiased you say?
As usual, you've got nothing.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #350
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: 2012 Presidential Election (free for all edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
If 12th wants to step up, he needs to put his own skin-in-the-game. If you're up for doubling down, I'm good for $ 200 total. I'll await your response.

As far as fetal positions and such, that will never happen, but I'll keep your comments in mind on Nov. 7th...after Romney has won.


Who am I to deny you the right to lose money. We are on for an addition $100...winner takes home $200.
saden1 is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #351
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: 2012 Presidential Election (free for all edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
- ObamaCare isn't a socialist policy?
- U.S. ownership in GM isn't a socialist policy (read $ 23B redistribution of taxpayer dollars to a union)?
- Under ObamaCare the Department of Education took control of the student loan program thereby eliminating their partnership with banks. Before this happened banks such as Citi and Bank of America provided federal loans, private loans, what have you. Now the government provides loans and banks are no longer able to offer any type of loan to students as a result. This isn't socialist?
- FCC Net Neutrality rules aren't socialist? As stated by Robert McChesney, founder of Free Press, a group with deep ties to the Obama administration, the FCC, and the FTC, “At the moment, the battle over network neutrality is not to completely eliminate the telephone and cable companies. We are not at that point yet. But the ultimate goal is to get rid of the media capitalists in the phone and cable companies and to divest them from control.”
He also said, "Our struggle to make the Internet into a public utility conflicts with the interests of telephone and cable firms. So it is a tough fight, but a very important one."
- Proposing budgets with 1T+ defecits and no reform to entitlements that will bankrupt the U.S. in our lifetimes, knowing the only way out of financial collapse is massive tax increase isn't socialist?
- supporting an increase in the Death Tax isn't socialist?
- The National Defense Resources Preparedness Executive Order giving the WH control over ALL food, water resources and transportation isn't a socialist policy? If this is so desparately needed why the F is Obama cutting defense?
Obama: Holy crap we've got a major war on the horizon with China, Iran, and Lichtenstein. I've got to issue an Executive Order that will allow me to control all natural resources (including water) in the U.S.
SECDEF Panetta: Should I prepare a budget with more funding to ramp up?
Obama: LOL, we're cutting your budget!
By my definition, no it's not socialist. Is Justice John Roberts a socialist? Are Republicans that voted for Obamacare socialist? How about Romneycare, Medicare, and Social Security? Social safety net. Are these programs, too, socialism?

You seem to have it in your head because you find sharp disagreement with a policy or even President Obama's style of governing, which is fine, you go to the extreme opposite and label it socialism. That's absurd and alarmist, as far as I'm concerned. Just say you don't like it. Say it will fail. It won't work because of XYZ. Knock it off with the socialist crap. It's not. Healthcare is broken and Washington has been fukcing around for 30 years trying to fix it.

I'm curious to find out what Mr. Romney's alternative to Obamacare is since he's running away from the program he implemented in Massachusetts.
12thMan is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #352
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: 2012 Presidential Election (free for all edition)

SS33, twice in this thread you've cited independent government agencies, the Federal Reserve and the FCC, as examples of government promulgating socialist policies. I'm sure you're fully aware they both operate outside of the purview of the federal branch. Even if President Obama rolled down Pennsylvania Avenue in a red armored tank, pulled up to the doorsteps of the Fed and threatened full take over, those guys wouldn't budge one iota. That's the way it works, my man. That's one helluva leap to blame the actions of the Federal Reserve or the FCC on the President of the United States. Just doesn't work that way.

Oh..Pell Grants. With college tuition sky rocketing you're defending Citibank and the big banks that basically monopolized the student loan industry and profited off it for years?

CBO says the direct lending approach with save taxpayers $61 billion over 10 years.
12thMan is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #353
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: 2012 Presidential Election (free for all edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
- ObamaCare isn't a socialist policy?
- U.S. ownership in GM isn't a socialist policy (read $ 23B redistribution of taxpayer dollars to a union)?
As oppose to what? Letting them go out of business? Giving them 25 billion like Bush did without any strings attached? TARP and the Bank Bail out? Socialism is only socialism when the other guy is doing it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
- Under ObamaCare the Department of Education took control of the student loan program thereby eliminating their partnership with banks. Before this happened banks such as Citi and Bank of America provided federal loans, private loans, what have you. Now the government provides loans and banks are no longer able to offer any type of loan to students as a result. This isn't socialist?
As oppose to what? Getting out of the lending business all together? Giving low interest guaranteed loans to the Banks and letting them just turn around and lend it to students at higher rate? What is more socialistic, subsidizing the middlemen banks or students?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
- FCC Net Neutrality rules aren't socialist? As stated by Robert McChesney, founder of Free Press, a group with deep ties to the Obama administration, the FCC, and the FTC, “At the moment, the battle over network neutrality is not to completely eliminate the telephone and cable companies. We are not at that point yet. But the ultimate goal is to get rid of the media capitalists in the phone and cable companies and to divest them from control.”
He also said, "Our struggle to make the Internet into a public utility conflicts with the interests of telephone and cable firms. So it is a tough fight, but a very important one."
As oppose to what? Getting the government out of regulating the internet whose development they bankrolled and was founded on social ownership and cooperative management principles? We should let companies discriminately toll the internet? Are we to pay ISPs for our internet service and for individual websites that are successful at attracting consumers.


You have been weighed, measured, and found wanting.

Last edited by saden1; 08-08-2012 at 02:59 PM.
saden1 is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #354
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: 2012 Presidential Election (free for all edition)

For the life of me I have no idea why conservatives are still pounding the GM big government narrative. GM is back. It worked. A lot of manufacturing jobs returned to our shores as a result. Was it the best solution? Hell no. Under ideal circumstances GM would have been solvent and profitable. But that wasn't the case. It's a win for the country.

Right now Treasury owns 500 million GM shares. Seems they are waiting for the right time to sell (around $32 per share) to repay taxpayers.
12thMan is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #355
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: 2012 Presidential Election (free for all edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
For the life of me I have no idea why conservatives are still pounding the GM big government narrative. GM is back. It worked. A lot of manufacturing jobs returned to our shores as a result. Was it the best solution? Hell no. Under ideal circumstances GM would have been solvent and profitable. But that wasn't the case. It's a win for the country.
I think Bush had it right on the subject when he said "Sometimes circumstances get in the way of philosophy." Reading all this conservative drivel you would think this Administration and Democrats enjoy bailing and dolling out monies to corporations and hurting them at the same time.


How do you look left and right at the same time again?
saden1 is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #356
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,347
Re: 2012 Presidential Election (free for all edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
SS33, twice in this thread you've cited independent government agencies, the Federal Reserve and the FCC, as examples of government promulgating socialist policies. I'm sure you're fully aware they both operate outside of the purview of the federal branch. Even if President Obama rolled down Pennsylvania Avenue in a red armored tank, pulled up to the doorsteps of the Fed and threatened full take over, those guys wouldn't budge one iota. That's the way it works, my man. That's one helluva leap to blame the actions of the Federal Reserve or the FCC on the President of the United States. Just doesn't work that way.

Oh..Pell Grants. With college tuition sky rocketing you're defending Citibank and the big banks that basically monopolized the student loan industry and profited off it for years?

CBO says the direct lending approach with save taxpayers $61 billion over 10 years.
Never said Fed Reserve, I said Dept. of Education and FCC. The student loan issue was another rider to ObamaCare. Rising college tuition costs have nothing to do with banks, artifically lowered loan rates from the fed and fed subsidies are the primary catalyst to rising college costs. Similar to the housing bubble bust that was fueled by lowered approval standards/rates due to gov't intervention in the market.

FCC commissioners are appointed by the POTUS, Obama has appointed 4 of the 5 current commissioners. The Net Neutrality vote was along partison lines: The order received support from Chairman Julius Genachowski and Democratic commissioners Michael Copps and Mignon Clyburn, but was not approved by Republican commissioners Robert McDowell and Meredith A. Baker.

no need to roll down in tanks when you appoint the folks making decisions.

EDIT: and I forgot to mention the HHS Mandate forcing religious institutions to subsidize abortion drug, sterilization, contraception.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.

Last edited by Slingin Sammy 33; 08-08-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #357
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,347
Re: 2012 Presidential Election (free for all edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
As oppose to what? Letting them go out of business? Giving them 25 billion like Bush did without any strings attached?
As opposed to letting the UAW be treated as any other creditor in a bankruptcy and not getting $ 23B is taxpayer bailout. BTW that $ 23B is the gov't estimate on the taxpayers' backs after all is said and done. An GM still has higher labor costs than it's competitors.


Quote:
As oppose to what? Getting the government out of regulating the internet whose development they bankrolled and was founded on social ownership and cooperative management principles? We should let companies discriminately toll the internet? Are we to pay ISPs for our internet service and for individual websites that are successful at attracting consumers.
Initial development of internet, yes. Expansion to citizens was done by private investments. You don't find "social ownership and cooperative management" by the Fed disturbing. I'm not up for a China-like internet, thank you.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #358
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: 2012 Presidential Election (free for all edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
As opposed to letting the UAW be treated as any other creditor in a bankruptcy and not getting $ 23B is taxpayer bailout. BTW that $ 23B is the gov't estimate on the taxpayers' backs after all is said and done. An GM still has higher labor costs than it's competitors.
So you want to let the life savings of their employees' vanish and tell them to hit the unemployment line with their hand out asking Uncle Sam for change? Do you have cost benefit analysis on different scenarios? I'm betting it's cheaper to let people keep their retirement money and continue to be employed than paying investors first at the expense of gutting an industry and having people join the unemployment line. Even worse, cut of unemployment all together and have people go hungry.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Initial development of internet, yes. Expansion to citizens was done by private investments. You don't find "social ownership and cooperative management" by the Fed disturbing. I'm not up for a China-like internet, thank you.
What is really disturbing is that you want tax payers to bankroll the creation of the internet, turn it over to private companies, give these companies monopolies and free access to public land to lay down lines and finally allow them to charge them for both packet requests and responses.

...fck that!



ISP: You want to go visit google.com? Sorry, we have a deal with Microsoft and it's bing.com search engine? Maybe we can get something worked out where you pay us more to visit google.com?

Consumer: You are one of two ISPs allowed in my neighborhood? Am I paying to connect to the "internet" on your intranet?


...pragmatism is truly lost.
saden1 is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #359
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,585
Re: 2012 Presidential Election (free for all edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
So who's going to give in first and vote for the other person?
I'm voting for neither as I've said all along. If those were the only two candidates on the ballot, I would skip the that particular vote. **** voting for the lesser of the two evils. That said, Romney is still worse than Obama by a long shot. Almost sad when you long for the days when McCain was actually running...lol
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #360
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,347
Re: 2012 Presidential Election (free for all edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
So you want to let the life savings of their employees' vanish and tell them to hit the unemployment line with their hand out asking Uncle Sam for change? Do you have cost benefit analysis on different scenarios? I'm betting it's cheaper to let people keep their retirement money and continue to be employed than paying investors first at the expense of gutting an industry and having people join the unemployment line. Even worse, cut of unemployment all together and have people go hungry.
no one said their "life savings" would vanish, but the gold-plated, retire at 55 with benefits far above the standard for other auto-workers plan is BS. UAW and the contributions to the retirement fund should have been handled as any other creditor. As it was they received better treatment than SECURED creditors.

Auto Bailout or UAW Bailout? - By James Sherk & Todd Zywicki - The Corner - National Review Online


Quote:
What is really disturbing is that you want tax payers to bankroll the creation of the internet, turn it over to private companies, give these companies monopolies and free access to public land to lay down lines and finally allow them to charge them for both packet requests and responses.

...fck that!
The fed isn't giving the ISPs access to "free gov't land", they have to pay for cable right-of-way. And if there are any special deals they are at the state or local level. The fed isn't paying to lay down lines....unless it's done by some Obama stimulus program.

I'd rather the internet be regulated by the free market rather than gov't bureaucrats. If a local ISP is price gauging, someone will step in to fill the void with a more competitive solution.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.55656 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25