Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Gun Control Thread- Should we?

Debating with the enemy


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #76
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Gun Control Thread- Should we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I agree you should not be able to buy any guns or ammo over the internet. While I'm for the right to own guns I also think we could improve our laws. Here in Va I'd like to see a back ground checks done for even personal gun sales. As it is today any individual can sell a gun to another individual without a back ground check of any kind. Most people have heard of the Gun Show loophole and that's it because individuals also sell guns at these shows.

I buy all my guns this way whenever possible. While i think it would be ridiculous to require a background check for private sales i would be okay with a law that says you have to personally know someone or show an ID to buy a gun. Or maybe if no ID is avialable you have to write a reciept.
__________________
mlmpetert is offline  

Advertisements
Old 07-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #77
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,286
Re: Gun Control Thread- Should we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
To your second question first, I don't think it should be so easy at a WalMart either but there's no screening at all on the Internet. You say you're a 40 some year old man from Michigan, you could be a 12 year girl in Budapest for all I know.

To your first question, I know where you're going with this. As you already did in the other thread. But I don't know what the need is to have a rapid fire weapon like that.

I have bought ammo on the internet.
I had to register with the buyer first, and supply a fair amount of info.
Then I had to provide a copy of my scanned drivers license and have a matching shipping address for the delivery.
So your Budapest comments are way off.

And I still dont think you know what an "assault weapon" is because they fire as rapidly as a lot of deer rifles. And the large magazine debate is pretty stoopid since they are so easy to modify.

The "need " is - they are a freakin riot of fun to shoot on the range.
And since I'm harmless and practice gun safety like a lot of other guys, why deprive me.

And your I dont know comment that I have marked in red is because you know very little (at least thats the perception you give me) about firearms and the shooting community in general.
And if this is true I would prefer people like you not voting on gun issues.
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968

Last edited by Alvin Walton; 07-24-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Alvin Walton is offline  
Old 07-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #78
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,637
Re: Gun Control Thread- Should we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
If jumping to conclusions was an Olympic sport, you would have already won the gold.

Obviously I did not say the answer is to let everyone have a gun. I'm saying it's fruitless to argue gun laws, since criminals do not follow law anyway. All the gun laws do is keep an honest man honest. Period.

And while the theater massacre was horrific and something that I hope never happens again, there was no absolute way of preventing this guy from doing what he did. Even if gun laws were more strict, he would have gotten his material some other way. If he was psychotic enough to kill a bunch of innocent people, what makes you think he would not have used illegal means to obtain his weapons? It's a moot point.
Go back to ES, jerk!

Seriously though...I quoted the wrong person
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 07-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #79
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Re: Gun Control Thread- Should we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
And since I'm harmless and practice gun safety like a lot of other guys, why deprive me.
Because society is now decided by the lowest, most inept common denominator.

Thin the fricken herd, already!
RedskinRat is offline  
Old 07-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #80
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,637
Re: Gun Control Thread- Should we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
I have bought ammo on the internet.
I had to register with the buyer first, and supply a fair amount of info.
Then I had to provide a copy of my scanned drivers license and have a matching shipping address for the delivery.
So your Budapest comments are way off.

And I still dont think you know what an "assault weapon" is because they fire as rapidly as a lot of deer rifles. And the large magazine debate is pretty stoopid since they are so easy to modify.

The "need " is - they are a freakin riot of fun to shoot on the range.
And since I'm harmless and practice gun safety like a lot of other guys, why deprive me.
Well thanks for educating me on the Internet piece.

As for the "need"...we can't always have what we want.

But whatever, it's a culture I just don't understand.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 07-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #81
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well thanks for educating me on the Internet piece.

As for the "need"...we can't always have what we want.

But whatever, it's a culture I just don't understand.
I think we are on the same page on this issue but in order for us as country to start getting along better we need to learn/understand the otherside, not take a whatever atittude.

As far as the assualt rifles firstdown hit it on the head they are fun for some and I get that. I be pissed if they outlawed high performance cars because some nuts killed people with them. Are fast cars necassry? Nope, but they are as fun as hell.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline  
Old 07-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #82
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,347
Re: Gun Control Thread- Should we?

Cars aren't built with an intent to kill though. That's where that type of argument comes up short for me.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 07-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #83
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Re: Gun Control Thread- Should we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Cars aren't built with an intent to kill though. That's where that type of argument comes up short for me.
Then, rationally, we should be WAY more careful with something that isn't designed to kill and yet does.
RedskinRat is offline  
Old 07-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #84
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,286
Re: Gun Control Thread- Should we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Cars aren't built with an intent to kill though. That's where that type of argument comes up short for me.
A lot of guns US manufacturers make that fit the assault gun profile aren't intended for killing either.
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline  
Old 07-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #85
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,347
Re: Gun Control Thread- Should we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
A lot of guns US manufacturers make that fit the assault gun profile aren't intended for killing either.
In general, firearms are made with the intent of injuring/killing. Let's not kid ourselves.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 07-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #86
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Cars aren't built with an intent to kill though. That's where that type of argument comes up short for me.
Yes they may not have the intent to kill; but most LEO's will tell you that is the most dangerous thing you can give a person.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline  
Old 07-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #87
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,286
Re: Gun Control Thread- Should we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
In general, firearms are made with the intent of injuring/killing. Let's not kid ourselves.

Thats hardly an accurate statement painted with a pretty broad stroke.
I could poke a million holes in that.
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline  
Old 07-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #88
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,347
Re: Gun Control Thread- Should we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Yes they may not have the intent to kill; but most LEO's will tell you that is the most dangerous thing you can give a person.
Well of course, but we're talking about two separate issues.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 07-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #89
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,347
Re: Gun Control Thread- Should we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
Thats hardly an accurate statement.
I could poke a million holes in that.
Ok so what's the intent of most firearms? Educate me. Outside of shooting targets for sport, there's not much else they're used for that doesn't involve killing humans or animals as far as I see.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #90
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Ok so what's the intent of most firearms? Educate me. Outside of shooting targets for sport, there's not much else they're used for that doesn't involve killing humans or animals as far as I see.
Shooting targets is fun and hunting is legal. Why should that be taken away from responsible people?

Bad guys will find ways to kill; heck look no further the 9/11; no guns used there
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28675 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25