Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Official 2012 Election Day Thread

Debating with the enemy


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #121
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Official 2012 Election Day Thread

Speaking of humor, LOL @ this jackass:

saden1 is offline  

Advertisements
Old 11-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #122
Gamebreaker
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 28
Posts: 13,019
Re: Official 2012 Election Day Thread

To me, the Republican loss means 2 things:

1st - Republicans need to step away from the whole, "We're God's platform" mentality. Blue dog democrats in places like Ohio, Wisconsin and Iowa would easily vote Republican if they weren't faced with religion thrown in their face every debate and having to deal with far-right social issues. If Republicans left social issues alone and tried their hardest to focus on fiscal issues, they'd get the right, moderates and independents. Statements like (and I'm paraphrasing), if a women gets pregnant due to a rape, it must've been God's will, is why people (or at least I can't) take Republicans seriously. When it comes to social issues, staying as close to the middle as possible, is key.

2nd: I don't know how long Republicans are going to continue ignoring minorities. Obama won 73% of Hispanics and 71% of Asians and 93% of African-Americans. Since I know someone will argue, African-Americans won't vote for a white guy if there's a black guy running, what about Hispanics and Asians? Obama got more Latinos this election than LAST election and in 2004 Bush practically had Hispanics all over his jock. (Granted there was a lower Hispanic turnout). Hell, Bush even got 10% of the black vote.

I could be totally wrong, but I feel like you can't ignore minorities, least you could do is humor them like you're after their vote.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline  
Old 11-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #123
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,692
Re: Official 2012 Election Day Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
To me, the Republican loss means 2 things:

1st - Republicans need to step away from the whole, "We're God's platform" mentality. Blue dog democrats in places like Ohio, Wisconsin and Iowa would easily vote Republican if they weren't faced with religion thrown in their face every debate and having to deal with far-right social issues. If Republicans left social issues alone and tried their hardest to focus on fiscal issues, they'd get the right, moderates and independents. Statements like (and I'm paraphrasing), if a women gets pregnant due to a rape, it must've been God's will, is why people (or at least I can't) take Republicans seriously. When it comes to social issues, staying as close to the middle as possible, is key.

2nd: I don't know how long Republicans are going to continue ignoring minorities. Obama won 73% of Hispanics and 71% of Asians and 93% of African-Americans. Since I know someone will argue, African-Americans won't vote for a white guy if there's a black guy running, what about Hispanics and Asians? Obama got more Latinos this election than LAST election and in 2004 Bush practically had Hispanics all over his jock. (Granted there was a lower Hispanic turnout). Hell, Bush even got 10% of the black vote.

I could be totally wrong, but I feel like you can't ignore minorities, least you could do is humor them like you're after their vote.
Good post. I agree.
Serious stuff to think about.
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline  
Old 11-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #124
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,750
Re: Official 2012 Election Day Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I floated this idea around over the weekend with a friend. If whoever won would incorporate the loser somehow in his administration as a way to bring the right and left together. In this case, if Obama brought in Mitt or Ryan to play a part in tackling major problems. Set aside politics and focus on improving the country.

I honestly dont think we had bad canidates this time around and even though there was tense moments in the debates, I dont think it was as close to disrepectful or dirty as past campaigns. I actually think Mitt and Obama could work together quite well if given the chance. It would set a nice example
Well he did say he would sit down with Romney in the near future and discuss ideas so that was a pretty good gesture. Personally I would hope to see the following.

- Don't raise top rates to full 39% instead compromise and settle around 36%. Or maybe increase income requirements to qualify for top bracket.

- Revisit the American Jobs Act and have House and Senate go back and forth to reach a version that works for both parties. Tax credits for new hires and pay raises are especially important.

- Corporate tax rate at 28% is not a bad deal.

- Cut wasteful spending. This article is a good start Federal workers tell us what should be cut from the budget - The Washington Post

House Republicans should use any good will generated in negotiations to limit the reach of organizations like the EPA. I would hope they would agree to cuts in military spending but GOP would rather raise taxes before cutting defense.

Either way its vital that the two parties work together. Hopefully getting a few tea party candidates out of the way will help.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old 11-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #125
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 13,508
Re: Official 2012 Election Day Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Well he did say he would sit down with Romney in the near future and discuss ideas so that was a pretty good gesture. Personally I would hope to see the following.

- Don't raise top rates to full 39% instead compromise and settle around 36%. Or maybe increase income requirements to qualify for top bracket.

- Revisit the American Jobs Act and have House and Senate go back and forth to reach a version that works for both parties. Tax credits for new hires and pay raises are especially important.

- Corporate tax rate at 28% is not a bad deal.

- Cut wasteful spending. This article is a good start Federal workers tell us what should be cut from the budget - The Washington Post

House Republicans should use any good will generated in negotiations to limit the reach of organizations like the EPA. I would hope they would agree to cuts in military spending but GOP would rather raise taxes before cutting defense.

Either way its vital that the two parties work together. Hopefully getting a few tea party candidates out of the way will help.
Tea Party was a HUGE loser yesterday.
__________________
“Nobody’s going to be handed a job; not my standpoint, and I know Jay feels that way and I know Bruce feels the same way. You have to earn it. That’s what the NFL is about. Prove to me that you deserve to be on the field,’ and that’s the way it has to be in the NFL.”- McC
Chico23231 is offline  
Old 11-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #126
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,261
Re: Official 2012 Election Day Thread

Los Angeles voters decide porn actors must wear condoms | Fox News
__________________
mlmpetert is offline  
Old 11-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #127
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,750
Re: Official 2012 Election Day Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Tea Party was a HUGE loser yesterday.
How many are there now compared to before. I know the Tea Party lost one or two seats but I was hoping for a couple more.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old 11-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #128
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,596
Re: Official 2012 Election Day Thread


Porn will be moving out of LA. Without a doubt.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 11-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #129
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,596
Re: Official 2012 Election Day Thread

Nate Silver-Led Statistics Men Crush Pundits in Election - Businessweek

I think people need to pay more attention to this guy. At least he was willing to put his money where his mouth (and stats) was.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 11-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #130
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,347
Re: Official 2012 Election Day Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
You have made me whole.

Thank you.
You are very welcome. Congrats again.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline  
Old 11-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #131
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 13,508
Re: Official 2012 Election Day Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Nate Silver-Led Statistics Men Crush Pundits in Election - Businessweek

I think people need to pay more attention to this guy. At least he was willing to put his money where his mouth (and stats) was.
Those FOX news polls were all bullshit. surprise right?
__________________
“Nobody’s going to be handed a job; not my standpoint, and I know Jay feels that way and I know Bruce feels the same way. You have to earn it. That’s what the NFL is about. Prove to me that you deserve to be on the field,’ and that’s the way it has to be in the NFL.”- McC
Chico23231 is offline  
Old 11-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #132
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Official 2012 Election Day Thread

In the coming months lots of explanations will be put forth as to why Romney lost...here is one story that should get the ball rolling and it has quite a few head scratcher:


Quote:
On the final flight of his campaign Tuesday afternoon, Romney ventured to the back of his plane for a chat with reporters and discovered that — horrors! — the poor wretches were seated in coach accommodations.

“I thought you had bigger seats back here,” he told them.
saden1 is offline  
Old 11-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #133
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,839
Re: Official 2012 Election Day Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
To me, the Republican loss means 2 things:

1st - Republicans need to step away from the whole, "We're God's platform" mentality. Blue dog democrats in places like Ohio, Wisconsin and Iowa would easily vote Republican if they weren't faced with religion thrown in their face every debate and having to deal with far-right social issues. If Republicans left social issues alone and tried their hardest to focus on fiscal issues, they'd get the right, moderates and independents. Statements like (and I'm paraphrasing), if a women gets pregnant due to a rape, it must've been God's will, is why people (or at least I can't) take Republicans seriously. When it comes to social issues, staying as close to the middle as possible, is key.

2nd: I don't know how long Republicans are going to continue ignoring minorities. Obama won 73% of Hispanics and 71% of Asians and 93% of African-Americans. Since I know someone will argue, African-Americans won't vote for a white guy if there's a black guy running, what about Hispanics and Asians? Obama got more Latinos this election than LAST election and in 2004 Bush practically had Hispanics all over his jock. (Granted there was a lower Hispanic turnout). Hell, Bush even got 10% of the black vote.

I could be totally wrong, but I feel like you can't ignore minorities, least you could do is humor them like you're after their vote.
Good post.

Young voters and minorities, that's where Republicans went wrong. They have a lot of work to do.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 11-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #134
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,839
Re: Official 2012 Election Day Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Nate Silver-Led Statistics Men Crush Pundits in Election - Businessweek

I think people need to pay more attention to this guy. At least he was willing to put his money where his mouth (and stats) was.
He crushed it.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #135
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,750
Re: Official 2012 Election Day Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
1st - Republicans need to step away from the whole, "We're God's platform" mentality. Blue dog democrats in places like Ohio, Wisconsin and Iowa would easily vote Republican if they weren't faced with religion thrown in their face every debate and having to deal with far-right social issues. If Republicans left social issues alone and tried their hardest to focus on fiscal issues, they'd get the right, moderates and independents. Statements like (and I'm paraphrasing), if a women gets pregnant due to a rape, it must've been God's will, is why people (or at least I can't) take Republicans seriously. When it comes to social issues, staying as close to the middle as possible, is key.
Best approach on gay marriage and abortion in the short term is the John McCain approach "thats an issue best left to the states." Also saying you believe in traditional marriage and are pro life but don't want to impose your beliefs on other people would be a winner in the near future for the Republican party. Obviously they can't change overnight but they need to start moving toward the center.

Long term though they need to drop the positions on social issues. It's a looser. Fiscal conservatism is still alive and well but virtually everything else on the GOP platform is outdated.

Funny thing I learned recently about the Christian Right is that up until around the late 70's no one ever really talked or elaborated on religion in politics mainly because it was a huge risk to say you were a Baptist, Catholic, Evangelical, etc. Back in the 60's there were people worried Kennedy would answer and decide policy based on advice from the pope. People even asked for assurances that he would observe separation of Church and State.

Somehow it evolved where everyone got united under the word "Christian" and now it doesn't really matter what sect you belong to so long as you declare yourself Christian. Back then Romney being a Mormon in a Presidential Primary would have most likely been a huge dealbreaker for many voters. Today it's more "well as long as he's Christian" on top of guys like Newt Gingrich blaming "secularism" for the nations problems.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 11-07-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31897 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25