Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


The Obama Years- A GOP love story

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #211
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,596
Re: The Obama Years- A GOP love story

You know it's bad when Darth Vader is polling higher than all the potential 2016 Presidential candidates.

Darth Vader is polling higher than all potential 2016 presidential candidates - The Washington Post
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #212
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,361
Re: The Obama Years- A GOP love story

I think we can admit ,Reagan wasn't dealing with Putin either .The situations and times are very different .
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #213
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 13,509
Re: The Obama Years- A GOP love story

Will anyone stop ISIS? - CNN.com

tell ya, the things we go to war over and not go to war over is funny. genocide, nope, we dont have time to fight against that.
__________________
“Nobody’s going to be handed a job; not my standpoint, and I know Jay feels that way and I know Bruce feels the same way. You have to earn it. That’s what the NFL is about. Prove to me that you deserve to be on the field,’ and that’s the way it has to be in the NFL.”- McC
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #214
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 48
Posts: 13,133
Re: The Obama Years- A GOP love story

This will turn in to a too long didn't read rambling post. Warning you upfront so you can choose to skip it, probably will be a rant against the current administration, but I want to say up front, republicans are idiots too, they just don't have much sway on the topics that are sitting on my mind leading to this rant. So please don't think I am favoring a return to the 2000 Bush presidency or the similar corporate shells of republicans. I wish we could somehow find a way back to real limited, decidedly neutral, government programs that benefit society and our national interests not individual groups, be they rich uppers, or poor lowers. We are tearing ourselves apart from the inside as the parties play off each other to distract us from their little clique.

And that's not even the rant!

I want to list several events in my mind, most of which point to gross incompetence, or pure lack of understanding, by those who are supposed to be defending our national security, but instead are collecting terabytes of data on our own citizens:
again, most of these are republican talking points but by no means am I arguing that the Republicans would have been better if they led the government, and sadly it's probably not all inclusive, only the items that weigh on my feeble mind.:
  • Benghazi
  • Russian flights testing US airspace
  • Chinese intercept of US patrol planes
  • Chinese assertion of rights over disputed territories
  • Corporations merging with international partners and transferring out of the US to avoid new taxes
  • regional conflicts (Ukraine, Isr/Gaza, Libya )

In several of these the US position has either been "we didn't know" or "if you do x we will be mad at you"

It reminds me (and I was only 11-12 at the time, so this part is probably heavily biased by a very conservative father's clearly expressed opinions) of Jimmy Carter's presidency. One in which the US seemed unwilling or unclear on how to act on an international stage. Jimmy Carter is a great humanitarian, and I respect him as such, but I also believe that he thinks - or did when he was in office- that all societies and leaders of societies hold to the same values as the US professes too. I think Pres. Obama shares that vision. And that is bad for the US, and in my opinion, the world. I think he acts in the belief that others, not labeled Republican, will do "the right thing" as he defines it. Thus, while he can't deal with Republicans, because he knows they just don't get his world view, he defines US national policies in ways that assume that the other leaders abide in it. I do think he is coming to understand that other powers will want to step into the void created by group think strategies, but I don't think he, or his national security teams truly believe that other nation-states might actually believe their own view of the is better than what the US provides.

Take this quote from Pres Obama today:
Pres. Obama: "In just 4 months we will complete our combat mission in Afghanistan and America's longest war will come to a responsible end"

Last I checked, there was no truce signed by all combatants. Simply by proclaiming an end to US involvement doesn't mean the other side is going to go along with it. What it does mean is that other countries and interests are going to see a vacuum and from previous patterns of US behaviour they know that we will be reluctant to get back into "America's longest war". Just look at another quote from today:Pres. Obama: "Our military action in Iraq has to be part of a broader strategy ... to take our fight to ISIL" and Pres. Obama: "American combat troops will not be returning to fight in Iraq", this isn't the first time we upfront take a whole level off the table. I get that you don't want to send troops, and that ideally no troops would have to go back, but if you telegraph it, others gain strength from perceived weakness.

I think it's fair to say (and I could be wrong) that most of our wars have started when people miscalculated US intent. I see this advisor build up in Iraq, and think of the advisors in Vietnam. I see regional flare ups, and think of how WWI started because someone killed an arch duke and it escalated. I see the US thinking putting harsh sanctions on Russia is a way to change the mind of Putin, and think of the harsh sanctions that led to the rise of Hitler.

Maybe we are the great shining example, and all other nations will see us and think Gosh, that's who we want to follow. BUT, I highly believe that others see our heavy handedness much like the Roman Empire's was felt, and they see our demise as an opening for their greatness. Be it a new Caliphate, a return to the Chinese empire, or the Russian control over the former soviet bloc.

And that's not even touching the surface of republican and democrat national policy. Ugh. Can I get back to the distraction of football now.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #215
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,361
Re: The Obama Years- A GOP love story

What is it you want , what is it that you think we (Obama) should either do or have done ? You name these things ...


Benghazi
Russian flights testing US airspace
Chinese intercept of US patrol planes
Chinese assertion of rights over disputed territories
Corporations merging with international partners and transferring out of the US to avoid new taxes
regional conflicts (Ukraine, Isr/Gaza, Libya )

People in the US aren't happy,people everywhere are not happy and the US is the cause or the answer ,damned if we do and damned if we don't ! The new technology that there is people know things within mins if not seconds of when things happen and want to know who, what, where, when, thing is in the old days we didn't know everything and that was a good thing .I knew of the NSA ,CIA and FBI and I knew what they did and they protected America ,I did not need to know how they did there job ,just keep doing it .Ignorant some might call it ,no , I had faith in my country and it's leaders ,that is why they were elected even the ones I did not vote for .
Now everyone is under the gun (wrong choice of words) if you have a phone you are a reporter ,a photographer and now it's your job to get the news out regardless if you know what started whatever it is your texting , tweeting or instagraming about.Do you believe that with out "social media" and of these problems would be as big as they are today ,yes they are important I don't want to belittle any of them that is not my purpose ,people died and are dying in these conflicts .

1)Benghazi - a total FU on every front ,people in many places didn't do their job ,will be a republican buzz word .
2)Russian flights testing US airspace - this has been going on for decades ,so what ?
3)Chinese intercept of US patrol planes - See #2 , we do it to China ,they do it to others and Russa does it to us ,again so what ?
4)Chinese assertion of rights over disputed territories - Wrong without a doubt but again it has been going on for years ,usally we sit down and negotiate something with them .
5) Corporations merging with international partners and transferring out of the US to avoid new taxes - Ok ,still not new and has been going on lots O places just not in the USA for decades .
6)regional conflicts (Ukraine, Isr/Gaza, Libya ) see #4
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #216
Special Teams
 
tshile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 446
Re: The Obama Years- A GOP love story

I would have been happy on the Benghazi front if the administration didn't lie to us to protect an upcoming election.

That's the lowest of the low in my opinion.


#5 is easy - if you do that you should be disqualified from federal grants and tax breaks immediately. I'd even consider playing higher taxes on companies that do this because - fuck them, that's because.
tshile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #217
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,361
Re: The Obama Years- A GOP love story

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshile View Post
I would have been happy on the Benghazi front if the administration didn't lie to us to protect an upcoming election.

That's the lowest of the low in my opinion.


#5 is easy - if you do that you should be disqualified from federal grants and tax breaks immediately. I'd even consider playing higher taxes on companies that do this because - fuck them, that's because.
I still don't think they lied ,one hand does'nt know what the other has said or done a total FU but I don't believe they are lying .

On #5) I agree with you but again this has been going on for years and nobody from either party has or will do a damn thing about it .
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #218
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 48
Posts: 13,133
G1 you are a perfect example of what some would call a flock of sheeple. Yes lots of what I reference has been going on the past 30 it so years. That's why I said it was not a political jab at Pres Obama. I was trying to emphasize the march of world culture, that there are political tides with undercurrents that are hundreds of years strong, and when you transition from one strong unchallenged state (the US in this case) to a hegamony of near equal competing states you either find balance and understanding of the conflicting powers ie 1960s to 90s between the USSR and USA, or you find a multitude of powers where an inadvertent action can lead to great calamities, ie the world leading to WWI. I think we are very close to the WWI model right now when you throw the following players together:
China, Russia, Japan, Iran, the. US, and the EU, and a Muslim substate that exists in multiple facets throughout the middle east. You take powder keg zones like Israel /Syria/Gaza, NK/SK, and the Urals around Ukraine, and we either find a new balance or one of the powder kegs goes off.

My point in referencing our President is mainly that he fits in the mold of Woodrow Wilson or Neville Chamberlain in that regard. His ideals are valid but they may lead us right where he desparately wants to avoid.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.

Last edited by CRedskinsRule; 08-26-2014 at 10:46 PM.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:58 AM   #219
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,361
Re: The Obama Years- A GOP love story

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
G1 you are a perfect example of what some would call a flock of sheeple. Yes lots of what I reference has been going on the past 30 it so years. .
LOL, I have heard that before and it is always the saying of the young .I'm almost 12 years older than you .I understand what it is you are getting at I just want to tell you that as time goes on and like it or not it happens to everyone you views do change .Just a note the things I pointed out as you said going on for 30 years, well it's more like 50 or 60 .
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #220
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 48
Posts: 13,133
Re: The Obama Years- A GOP love story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
LOL, I have heard that before and it is always the saying of the young .I'm almost 12 years older than you .I understand what it is you are getting at I just want to tell you that as time goes on and like it or not it happens to everyone you views do change .Just a note the things I pointed out as you said going on for 30 years, well it's more like 50 or 60 .
It's actually more like all of human history. You don't really get the point if you think that we aren't at an epochal moment in history. We have gone from a bipolar power center in the world to a momentary unipolar one, and what we are seeing now is the emergence of a multipolar world structure, one that our government initiated somewhere during the 2nd Iraq war. Historians will look back better than we do now, and be able to define the point at which US power shifted.

I had to laugh loudly at the "almost 12 years older" comment. I'm not 9 and you 21 or some distinctive note like that. Being 47, with my fair share of world travel, college and military training, and life events, I am pretty confident that my view won't undergo drastic revisions in the next 10 years. Maybe yours will, and I seriously hope so from most of your off-topic discussions, but I feel confident that you will hold on to your sheeplistic attitude and continue to defend that which is by common sense indefensible, argue that the status quo is simply acceptable because it's been the status quo, and so on. Feel free to have the last word if you choose, because I won't continue this engagement with you.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #221
Special Teams
 
tshile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 446
Re: The Obama Years- A GOP love story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I still don't think they lied ,one hand does'nt know what the other has said or done a total FU but I don't believe they are lying .

On #5) I agree with you but again this has been going on for years and nobody from either party has or will do a damn thing about it .
Well, we have quite a bit of proof that they at least lied to the american people for a few weeks, presumably to avoid what may have been significant bad PR on the foreign policy front for a president running for re-election at the time.

I have a hard time using your excuse for #5 because there are a lot of problems like that and I don't think "well no one else has fixed it either" is a very good excuse. I think majority of the problems (real problems) we face in this country are decades old and still exist because no one has taken the time to actually fix them, and because the general public refuses to hold anyone accountable outside of crafting nicely-worded talking points when it's the other team's guy in office.

To name a few: multiple different infrastructure issues, education issues, poverty, immigration, and any real progress on race issues since the 60's.
tshile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:23 AM   #222
Special Teams
 
tshile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 446
Re: The Obama Years- A GOP love story

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I think we are very close to the WWI model right now when you throw the following players together:
China, Russia, Japan, Iran, the. US, and the EU, and a Muslim substate that exists in multiple facets throughout the middle east.
The problem with that point of view is it ignores the significant progress made in relations between us and China in terms of trade and cooperativeness. There are many that view China as a communist-in-name-only country that's on the verge of officially moving into a more democratic state. The idea that we're constantly on the brink of war with China is one that seems to be about a decade or two out of date.

The middle east is an interesting and complex issue to say the least.
tshile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #223
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 13,509
Re: The Obama Years- A GOP love story

its crystal clear to everyone that obama's foreign policy has made this world alot more dangerous place. The instability in the world is directly related to Obama and his staff's policy.


FACT

You cant dispute it.
__________________
“Nobody’s going to be handed a job; not my standpoint, and I know Jay feels that way and I know Bruce feels the same way. You have to earn it. That’s what the NFL is about. Prove to me that you deserve to be on the field,’ and that’s the way it has to be in the NFL.”- McC
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #224
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 48
Posts: 13,133
Re: The Obama Years- A GOP love story

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshile View Post
The problem with that point of view is it ignores the significant progress made in relations between us and China in terms of trade and cooperativeness. There are many that view China as a communist-in-name-only country that's on the verge of officially moving into a more democratic state. The idea that we're constantly on the brink of war with China is one that seems to be about a decade or two out of date.

The middle east is an interesting and complex issue to say the least.
Ok, But you do know the following have all taken place in the last 9 months:
1) Major China/Russia troop maneuvers
China, Russia start joint naval exercise | South China Morning Post

2) Chinese exertion of territorial rights over disputed territories with Japan
China's New Air-Defense Zone Is a Creeping Effort to Assert Sovereignty | TIME.com

3) Chinese fighter jets entering Taiwan air space:
China Fighter Jets Enter Taiwan's Airspace - Businessweek

4) China Russia oil pipeline agreement
Russia, China Sign $400 Billion Gas Deal After Decade of Talks - Bloomberg

5) Brazil, Russia, India and China have formed an alliance a la IMF
BRICS Bank Viewed as IMF Competitor

Again, the point being that we moved from the dual power of USSR/USA, which hung ever on an edge but had two main actors, neither were ultimately willing to go that last step, to the Sole power of the USA, but the US is not set up to go it alone as a sole world power, so we have relinquished a lot of the authority/responsibility we shouldered from the late 80's to the mid 2000's. Now the world is moving back to a set of tentative alliances, as you say China likes our money, but might like Russia's oil more. Russia might feel emboldened by China's backing and feel like the two of them together could put Europe on it's heels. There are a lot more uncertainties in a multipolar world, and a lot more chance for miscalculation, which sort of brings me back to my rant and what set it off. When the head of the US is repeatedly saying publicly, we didn't know, or we sent our forces in, but the intelligence was bad, or it was due to xyz failure, it opens the door to opponents thinking that they might slip one by, or make a miscue. If you remember, the start of the first Iraq war - the invasion of Kuwait, has been ascribed to the US seemingly give an offhand approval of the absorption of Kuwait. With one power, you just squash it and go on, like Iraq 1, but in a multi polar world, where Russia and Iran for instance might together not like the idea of a US led invasion of Iraq, the lines become blurrier.

Like I said at the outset, this is my rant. I get that I see things through a certain prism, and I'm not suggesting, as maybe G1 thought I was, that I could do a single bit better, only that it is distressing/discouraging to see us muddle into this new phase, and look cloddish doing it. I like the life the US presents not just me, but my kids, and one day, I hope my grandkids. and to that end I see us on the brink of a turning point, which may very well not have the joyful ending that some seem to imply is an obvious conclusion.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #225
Special Teams
 
tshile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 446
Re: The Obama Years- A GOP love story

Yeah I get it, and I respect your rant and opinion

I don't think China is trying to make enemies with Russia... but if forced to pick between the USA and Russia, I think China is going to pick the USA. And I don't think it'll be close. I think in 10 years people will look at China in a much different way than they do now. And they'll probably still be a decade behind
tshile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.44215 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25