Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Pro-gun article

Debating with the enemy


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #166
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Re: Pro-gun article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Oh look , the NRA version of the Pep Boys are all here.
Why do you dislike rational responses to your posts so much?
RedskinRat is offline  

Advertisements
Old 04-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #167
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,437
Re: Pro-gun article

Full troll mode....
Doesnt know jackschitt about firearms, cant debate worth a rats ass, backs the most despised team in the NFL.
Not surprised.
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #168
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Re: Pro-gun article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
Full troll mode....
Doesnt know jackschitt about firearms, cant debate worth a rats ass, backs the most despised team in the NFL.
Not surprised.
RedskinRat is offline  
Old 04-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #169
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Re: Pro-gun article

Sam Harris' FAQ on Violence

Long, but worth the effort.
RedskinRat is offline  
Old 04-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #170
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,898
Re: Pro-gun article

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
Sam Harris' FAQ on Violence

Long, but worth the effort.
Great find and nice read, I don't agree with all of it. But presents some info like total crime rates and hypothetical self defense scenarios that get totally overlooked in the last congressional debacle pushing for "gun bans".

Personally I don't think assault weapons should be banned. Both because the last AWB didn't affect the already downward trend of crime at all, and going by the Constitution arms like that should if anything be regulated (which at that time meant required and supplied to people). And once you start talking of banning some guns, well we've seen what little restraint the anti-gun goons like giantone have, like that NY paper releasing names of gun owners that he cheered on. Which in addition to the wrongness of the intended effort, means that some law enforcement officials can thank that paper for criminals knowing where those officers homes and families are now.

Personally I have more reservations about concealed carry and handguns than anything else like assault weapons. But again when you have fanatics that would take any measure of expanding background checks or registration as a step to bans, compromise really isn't possible. We're better off as is, than living under a regime like DC's own local gun laws.
HailGreen28 is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #171
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,223
Re: Pro-gun article

Email we received from the Chancellor today:


Quote:
To the ECU Community:

I want to make you aware of a bill moving through the N.C. General Assembly that could have a direct and negative impact to the safety of our campus. I feel the need to state publicly my opposition to certain provisions included in House Bill 937 that would allow concealed-carry permit holders to keep their weapons in locked vehicles on college campuses.

Supporters of this bill say it will make our campuses safer. I don’t believe that to be true. In fact, it has the potential to create dangerous situations for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. For example, if an incident occurs on our campus, law enforcement arriving on the scene must be able to quickly distinguish suspects from bystanders. Allowing weapons on campus could hamper their ability to make split-second decisions while assessing the situation. The consequences could be tragic.

It is our obligation to provide a safe environment at ECU. And I believe the best approach is by relying on the expertise of our accredited police department. I share the concerns expressed by President Tom Ross, my fellow chancellors, and our campus police officers that this proposed change would create increased risk on our campuses. I encourage the General Assembly to reconsider the provision allowing weapons onto our campus.

Steve Ballard, Chancellor


The following is a link to House Bill 937:
North Carolina General Assembly - House Bill 937 Information/History (2013-2014 Session)

I on the other hand do not think it will increase risk on the campus.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is online now  
Old 05-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #172
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Re: Pro-gun article

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware - Pew Research

National rates of gun homicide and other violent gun crimes are strikingly lower now than during their peak in the mid-1990s, paralleling a general decline in violent crime, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of government data. Beneath the long-term trend, though, are big differences by decade: Violence plunged through the 1990s, but has declined less dramatically since 2000.

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.


This surely is a cold comfort to those either injured or related to those killed by firearms. It should make people think about the sudden interest and motivation in more gun control issue though.
RedskinRat is offline  
Old 05-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #173
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,247
Re: Pro-gun article

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post

This surely is a cold comfort to those either injured or related to those killed by firearms. It should make people think about the sudden interest and motivation in more gun control issue though.


Gun deaths for children ages 7 and younger have gone up a whole lot this year ,guess it's all how you look at it. Yet as you say I'm sure it is cold comfort to the parents of the dead children.


Here are some stats that aren't as good.

Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence – Gun Law Information Experts



And some more...

Gun Safety for Kids and Youth: Your Child: University of Michigan Health System

What are the statistics about young people and firearm deaths and injuries?
The 2002 edition of Injury Facts from the National Safety Council reports the following statistics [1] :
  • In 1999, 3,385 children and youth ages 0-19 years were killed with a gun. This includes homicides, suicides, and unintentional injuries.
  • This is equivalent to about 9 deaths per day, a figure commonly used by journalists.
  • The 3,385 firearms-related deaths for age group 0-19 years breaks down to:
    • 214 unintentional
    • 1,078 suicides
    • 1,990 homicides
    • 83 for which the intent could not be determined
    • 20 due to legal intervention
  • Of the total firearms-related deaths:
    • 73 were of children under five years old
    • 416 were children 5-14 years old
    • 2,896 were 15-19 years old
These numbers are from 1999, if all the New laws could save just one child it and they would be worth it.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Old 05-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #174
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,247
Re: Pro-gun article

http://www.childrensdefense.org/chil...facts-2013.pdf




..............and some more facts.

Children’s Defense Fund
Protect Children, Not Guns
Key Facts
April 24, 2013
A child or teen dies or is injured from guns every 30 minutes.
18,270 children and teens died or were injuredfrom guns in 2010. 1 child or teen died or was injured every 30 minutes
50 children and teens died or were injured every day
351 children and teens, or 17 classrooms of 20 children, died or were injured every week.
 
More children and teens die from guns every three days than died in the Newtown massacre.
2,694 children and teens diedfrom guns in 2010. 1 child or teen died every 3 hours and 15 minutes
7 children and teens died every day, more than 22 every three days
52 children and teens died every week
 
Over the past 50 years, three times more children and teens died from guns on American soil than U.S. soldiers were killed in action in wars abroad.
Between 1963 and 2010, an estimated 166,500 children and teens died from guns on American soil, while 52,820 U.S. soldiers were killed in action in the Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq wars combined.
•On average 3,470 children and teens were killed by guns every year from 1963 to 2010, or 174 classrooms of 20 children every year.
Nearly three times more children and teens were injured by guns in 2010 than the number of U.S. soldiers wounded in action that year in the Afghanistan war.
An estimated 15,576 children and teens were injuredby guns in 2010. 1 child or teen was injured every 34 minutes
43 children and teens were injured every day
300 children and teens were injured every week
5,247 U.S. soldiers were injured in the Afghanistan war in 2010.
Guns kill more children under five than law enforcement officers in the line of duty.
82 children under five died from guns in 2010, compared to 58 law enforcement officers killed by guns in the line of duty.
The US has more than ten times more gun deaths in children and teens than other high income countries.
Children and teens in the US are 67 times more likely to die from guns than children and teens in the United Kingdom and 13 times more likely than children and teens in France.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Old 05-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #175
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,882
Re: Pro-gun article

Drowning Fact Sheet
Drowning statistics - Drowning facts


In 2004, there were 3,308 unintentional drownings in the United States, an average of nine people per day.(CDC 2006)
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

In 2004, of all children 1-4 years old who died, 26% died from drowning (CDC 2006). Fatal drowning remains the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death for children ages 1 to 14 years (CDC 2005)

U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

It is estimated that for each drowning death, there are 1 to 4 nonfatal submersions serious enough to result in hospitalization. Children who still require cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) at the time they arrive at the emergency department have a poor prognosis, with at least half of survivors suffering significant neurologic impairment.

American Academy of Pediatrics

19% of drowning deaths involving children occur in public pools with certified lifeguards present.
Drowning Prevention Foundation

A swimming pool is 14 times more likely than a motor vehicle to be involved in the death of a child age 4 and under.
Orange County California Fire Authority

Children under five and adolescents between the ages of 15-24 have the highest drowning rates.
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

An estimated 5,000 children ages 14 and under are hospitalized due to unintentional drowning-related incidents each year; 15 percent die in the hospital and as many as 20 percent suffer severe, permanent neurological disability.

National Safety Council

Of all preschoolers who drown, 70 percent are in the care of one or both parents at the time of the drowning and 75 percent are missing from sight for five minutes or less.

Orange County, CA, Fire Authority

The majority of children who survive (92 percent) are discovered within two minutes following submersion, and most children who die (86 percent) are found after 10 minutes. Nearly all who require cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) die or are left with severe brain injury.

National Safe Kids Campaign
CRedskinsRule is offline  
Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #176
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,437
Re: Pro-gun article

Death by Coke machine.
Death By Vending Machine / Warning: Large heavy appliances can be hazardous to your health - SFGate

Death by television.
Boy dies trying to change TV channel in Bronx apartment | 7online.com

Death by visiting the elderly.
Boy dies in 6-story fall from Stamford apartment | 7online.com
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968

Last edited by Alvin Walton; 05-10-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Alvin Walton is offline  
Old 05-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #177
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,237
Re: Pro-gun article

Quick question, from GiantOnes post, WTF is a gun death for: 20 due to legal intervention? Cops killed them?
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline  
Old 05-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #178
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Re: Pro-gun article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
http://www.childrensdefense.org/chil...facts-2013.pdf




..............and some more facts.

<SNIP>
Gangbangers are 'children', too! Oh, the humanity!
RedskinRat is offline  
Old 05-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #179
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,882
Re: Pro-gun article

BBC News - US government orders removal of Defcad 3D-gun designs
CRedskinsRule is offline  
Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #180
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,898
Re: Pro-gun article

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
Gangbangers are 'children', too! Oh, the humanity!
yeah, good catch right off the bat. The website g-one posts counts teens as children, but screams "PROTECT CHILDREN!!!". When 18-24 is the age group most likely to commit violent crime, and gangs make use of younger members to kill, like the Sean Taylor murder.

The numbers look totally out of whack with the numbers I've seen, and posted, from more reliable sources. And considering the guy who posted the link....
HailGreen28 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.41142 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25