Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Pro-gun article

Debating with the enemy


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #286
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Pro-gun article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
You way isn't working if it was those two kids in the Mall would be alive .




Even if there WERE a way to keep guns out of the hands of people who are bent on murdering someone, there are other things they can use to do it.


"YOUR WAY" of disarming the general public so the killers can have free reign on taking out anyone they want without the chance of anyone defending themselves isn't working.

Such a simple concept, yet so difficult for so many people...hence the situation our nation is in these past 5+ years.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline  

Advertisements
Old 01-31-2014, 05:24 PM   #287
Special Teams
 
Buffalo Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Beaverdam Virginia
Age: 53
Posts: 112
Re: Pro-gun article

Funny how DC has the strictest gun laws in the USA, but double the murder rate of the highest state.
Buffalo Bob is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 PM   #288
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,237
Re: Pro-gun article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
Funny how DC has the strictest gun laws in the USA, but double the murder rate of the highest state.

, think about it .
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 09:26 PM   #289
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,237
Re: Pro-gun article

Guns hurt or kill 10,000 children in the U.S. each year: study - NBC News.com

School shootings unnerve Americans, but the number of children injured or killed in those tragic events is just a fraction of the young people harmed by firearms each year in the United States, a new study finds.
Injuries from firearms send more than 7,000 kids to the hospital annually, an average of 20 per day. Among those admitted to the hospital, 6 percent die from their injuries, according to the study published in Pediatrics Monday.
“That’s more than 7,000 children injured badly enough to be hospitalized,” said Dr. John Leventhal, the study’s lead author and a professor of pediatrics at the Yale School of Medicine. “All are unnecessary hospitalizations because preventing gun violence is something that can actually be done.”
In addition to children hospitalized for gun injuries, another 3,000 die before they can make it to the emergency room, meaning guns hurt or kill about 10,000 American children each year, Leventhal said
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 09:34 PM   #290
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Re: Pro-gun article

Utter and complete nonsense:

“That’s more than 7,000 children injured badly enough to be hospitalized,” said Dr. John Leventhal, the study’s lead author and a professor of pediatrics at the Yale School of Medicine. “All are unnecessary hospitalizations because preventing gun violence is something that can actually be done.”

This is also the same study you cited earlier that we had a difference of opinion over because they include poor, sweet, innocent young Gang Bangers as children, despite clear evidence that they are not. You want to behave like and criminal adult and puff up? Fine, you'll get tried as an adult. They need to start keeping statistics to cover this major point.

Last edited by RedskinRat; 01-31-2014 at 09:40 PM.
RedskinRat is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 09:35 PM   #291
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,876
Re: Pro-gun article

and another thing:
Children: Children ages 1 to 4 have the highest rates. In 2009, among children 1 to 4 years old who died from an unintentional injury, more than 30% died from this.
CRedskinsRule is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #292
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,876
Re: Pro-gun article

here's the link for that last statistic

CDC Reports

don't let on that it's drowning, just for fun
CRedskinsRule is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 09:43 PM   #293
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Re: Pro-gun article

CRedskinsRule, you put up a link for drowning.

  • Males: Nearly 80% of people who die from drowning are male.2
  • Children: Children ages 1 to 4 have the highest drowning rates. In 2009, among children 1 to 4 years old who died from an unintentional injury, more than 30% died from drowning.1,2 Among children ages 1 to 4, most drownings occur in home swimming pools.2 Drowning is responsible for more deaths among children 1-4 than any other cause except congenital anomalies (birth defects).1 Among those 1-14, fatal drowning remains the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death behind motor vehicle crashes.1
  • Minorities: Between 2005 and 2009, the fatal unintentional drowning rate for African Americans was significantly higher than that of whites across all ages.2 The disparity is widest among children 5-14 years old. The fatal drowning rate of African American children ages 5 to 14 is almost three times that of white children in the same age range.2


From the article GiantOne posted, as it substantiates what I've been saying:

If you look at homicide as a function of age, you’ll see that there is a peak between 18 and 20, Webster said. “So for this very high risk group of 18- to 20-year olds".

And from another CDC report:

Nearly 800 children under 14 were killed in gun accidents from 1999 to 2010, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

So I'd hazard a guess that whilst it's a tragedy that 800 kids die, possibly because of their parents' blase attitude to gun safety, it's far from the 3,000 figure and a long way off the 10,000 that's used to scare the uninformed pearl-clutchers.

Research shows that storing guns locked and unloaded reduces the risk of both injuries and suicide by about 70%, according to a 2005 study in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Last edited by RedskinRat; 01-31-2014 at 09:55 PM.
RedskinRat is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #294
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,237
Re: Pro-gun article

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
CRedskinsRule, you put up a link for drowning.


  • Males: Nearly 80% of people who die from drowning are male.2
  • Children: Children ages 1 to 4 have the highest drowning rates. In 2009, among children 1 to 4 years old who died from an unintentional injury, more than 30% died from drowning.1,2 Among children ages 1 to 4, most drownings occur in home swimming pools.2 Drowning is responsible for more deaths among children 1-4 than any other cause except congenital anomalies (birth defects).1 Among those 1-14, fatal drowning remains the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death behind motor vehicle crashes.1
  • Minorities: Between 2005 and 2009, the fatal unintentional drowning rate for African Americans was significantly higher than that of whites across all ages.2 The disparity is widest among children 5-14 years old. The fatal drowning rate of African American children ages 5 to 14 is almost three times that of white children in the same age range.2


From the article GiantOne posted, as it substantiates what I've been saying:

If you look at homicide as a function of age, you’ll see that there is a peak between 18 and 20, Webster said. “So for this very high risk group of 18- to 20-year olds".

And from another CDC report:

Nearly 800 children under 14 were killed in gun accidents from 1999 to 2010, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

So I'd hazard a guess that whilst it's a tragedy that 800 kids die, possibly because of their parents' blase attitude to gun safety, it's far from the 3,000 figure and a long way off the 10,000 that's used to scare the uninformed pearl-clutchers.

Research shows that storing guns locked and unloaded reduces the risk of both injuries and suicide by about 70%, according to a 2005 study in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

No rat what scares us is people like you who feel that the only way to stop kids dying .....is more guns .
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 10:04 PM   #295
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,237
Re: Pro-gun article

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
and another thing:
Children: Children ages 1 to 4 have the highest rates. In 2009, among children 1 to 4 years old who died from an unintentional injury, more than 30% died from this.
“He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.”
Groucho Marx
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 10:04 PM   #296
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Re: Pro-gun article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
No rat what scares us is people like you who feel that the only way to stop kids dying .....is more guns .
I have never said that more guns will stop kids dying. It's a stupid thing to say.

I'd like firearms courses taught in school, but I'd also like PT and life skills taught. I'll probably get a Unicorn before those things all happen.
RedskinRat is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 10:22 PM   #297
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,876
Re: Pro-gun article

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
CRedskinsRule, you put up a link for drowning.

  • Males: Nearly 80% of people who die from drowning are male.2
  • Children: Children ages 1 to 4 have the highest drowning rates. In 2009, among children 1 to 4 years old who died from an unintentional injury, more than 30% died from drowning.1,2 Among children ages 1 to 4, most drownings occur in home swimming pools.2 Drowning is responsible for more deaths among children 1-4 than any other cause except congenital anomalies (birth defects).1 Among those 1-14, fatal drowning remains the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death behind motor vehicle crashes.1
  • Minorities: Between 2005 and 2009, the fatal unintentional drowning rate for African Americans was significantly higher than that of whites across all ages.2 The disparity is widest among children 5-14 years old. The fatal drowning rate of African American children ages 5 to 14 is almost three times that of white children in the same age range.2


From the article GiantOne posted, as it substantiates what I've been saying:

If you look at homicide as a function of age, you’ll see that there is a peak between 18 and 20, Webster said. “So for this very high risk group of 18- to 20-year olds".

And from another CDC report:

Nearly 800 children under 14 were killed in gun accidents from 1999 to 2010, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

So I'd hazard a guess that whilst it's a tragedy that 800 kids die, possibly because of their parents' blase attitude to gun safety, it's far from the 3,000 figure and a long way off the 10,000 that's used to scare the uninformed pearl-clutchers.

Research shows that storing guns locked and unloaded reduces the risk of both injuries and suicide by about 70%, according to a 2005 study in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
I know it was drowning. I wanted to see if anyone would take the bait on how kids have to be protected. That's why I provided the link separately
CRedskinsRule is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 10:22 PM   #298
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,876
Re: Pro-gun article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
“He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.”
Groucho Marx
be honest, you wanted to cite those stats if RR hadn't spoiled the fun.
CRedskinsRule is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 10:30 PM   #299
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Re: Pro-gun article

I do have a habit of ruining everything.......

RedskinRat is offline  
Old 02-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #300
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,456
Re: Pro-gun article

Pearl Clutcher?????
YOU are the man.....!
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.42995 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25