Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #31
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,889
Re: Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Doesn't take much hindsight to say it's completely irresponsible to leave a loaded gun "in the corner" when you have small children running around the house. Is it too much to call this what it is, a careless and irresponsible gun owner?
Amen.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #32
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,432
Re: Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Doesn't take much hindsight to say it's completely irresponsible to leave a loaded gun "in the corner" when you have small children running around the house. Is it too much to call this what it is, a careless and irresponsible gun owner?
It sure is.
The parents are epic morons.
And if I was privy to sit in on the investigation I might think that the five year old should be removed from the parents.

I'd also call them a careless irresponsible parent.
Not a careless irresponsible swimming pool/automobile owner....I mean gun owner.
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #33
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,237
Re: Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
It sure is.
The parents are epic morons.
And if I was privy to sit in on the investigation I might think that the five year old should be removed from the parents.

I'd also call them a careless irresponsible parent.
Not a careless irresponsible swimming pool/automobile owner....I mean gun owner.

So a gun owner that leaves a gun in a corner "LOADED" within reach of a child, a gun that was a present for a child, so a child comes and plays with said "LOADED GUN" and kills someone , is not a ..."careless irresponsible" gun owner just a bad parent ? So you are saying you can't be both?
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #34
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 3,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
So a gun owner that leaves a gun in a corner "LOADED" within reach of a child, a gun that was a present for a child, so a child comes and plays with said "LOADED GUN" and kills someone , is not a ..."careless irresponsible" gun owner just a bad parent ? So you are saying you can't be both?
Of course they are both, I just don't see the need to beat a drum about it. Your basic argument is because these people aren't smart enough to keep their guns safe then no one is. Occasionally you have good arguments this one is not one of them.

Unfortunately there are careless individuals out there, lots of them. In this case a background check would not have done much. Now if either of these parents had been found mentally incapacitated prior to this gun purchase then the story is very different.
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #35
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,876
Re: Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister

My parents had a swimming pool in our backyard when I was growing up. My dad built a very heavy and tall locked gate that kept me, my brother, my sisters, and neighborhood children from going in unsupervised. That's a responsible parent.

I am sure that the parents in this tragedy understood gun risk. I think that they probably made sure, when they were supervising him, that he did all the right steps, just like when I went swimming, my parents, or someone able to open that heavy gate was around and making sure I was safe. But they became irresponsible parents when they didn't lock the gun back up, unlike my parents who locked that dang pool all the time, no matter how much I felt I was able to do it on my own.

It's not a perfect analogy, but to me it is a better one than just lumping this tragedy into the gun control debate. There is no law that can be enforced in the privacy of one's home that will prevent or eliminate all tragedies occurring from irresponsible behavior.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #36
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,237
Re: Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
My parents had a swimming pool in our backyard when I was growing up. My dad built a very heavy and tall locked gate that kept me, my brother, my sisters, and neighborhood children from going in unsupervised. That's a responsible parent.

I am sure that the parents in this tragedy understood gun risk. I think that they probably made sure, when they were supervising him, that he did all the right steps, just like when I went swimming, my parents, or someone able to open that heavy gate was around and making sure I was safe. But they became irresponsible parents when they didn't lock the gun back up, unlike my parents who locked that dang pool all the time, no matter how much I felt I was able to do it on my own.

It's not a perfect analogy, but to me it is a better one than just lumping this tragedy into the gun control debate. There is no law that can be enforced in the privacy of one's home that will prevent or eliminate all tragedies occurring from irresponsible behavior.

CR, first I didn't want this to be about gun control ,this isn't. I guess I was more looking to show the mental state of many(not all) gun owners.110% right any law on gun background checks would not have stop this .I'm looking at the mind set of a gun owner in general .I admit I can't comprehend what type of parent or adult in general would give a real gun to a five year old and then be shocked when something like this happens.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #37
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,889
Re: Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
CR, first I didn't want this to be about gun control ,this isn't. I guess I was more looking to show the mental state of many(not all) gun owners.110% right any law on gun background checks would not have stop this .I'm looking at the mind set of a gun owner in general .I admit I can't comprehend what type of parent or adult in general would give a real gun to a five year old and then be shocked when something like this happens.
Liar. You aren't looking for the mindset of the average gun owner. You're still trying to impugn all gun owners. At least those that disagree with you. Your opening post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister

Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister - U.S. News

These are same people I am suppose to listen on gun control, hell no!
The responses you've gotten this thread should indicate to you otherwise, even AlvinWalton's post that you tried your darndest to misinterpret a few posts up.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #38
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,432
Re: Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
CR, first I didn't want this to be about gun control ,this isn't. I guess I was more looking to show the mental state of many(not all) gun owners.110% right any law on gun background checks would not have stop this .I'm looking at the mind set of a gun owner in general .I admit I can't comprehend what type of parent or adult in general would give a real gun to a five year old and then be shocked when something like this happens.
Yet in your initial post you start ranting about gun control.

I suggest you go back to dry humping your Phil Sims Fathead because you really suck at debating on an internet forum.
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #39
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Epic stuff. GiantOne (and he really is a giant one) gets mauled again.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #40
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,237
Re: Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister

Exactly what I expected.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #41
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,237
Re: Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
Yet in your initial post you start ranting about gun control.
.
Post #1)"
These are same people I am suppose to listen on gun control, hell no! "



.....a statement ,not a rant.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #42
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Post #1)"
These are same people I am suppose to listen on gun control, hell no! "



.....a statement ,not a rant.

"Hell no!" isn't ranting? You're full of it.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #43
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,237
Re: Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister

I won't start a new thread just add another tragedy to the growing list ,again another needless death through the ignorance of a gun owner.

Fla. boy, 3, fatally shoots self with uncle's gun | US National Headlines | Comcast

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) Authorities say a 3-year-old Florida boy has died after shooting himself with a gun he found in his uncle's backpack.

The shooting happened Tuesday night in a bedroom Jadarrius Speights shared with his uncle at an apartment complex in Tampa. Authorities say the uncle, 29-year-old Jeffrey D. Walker, has been charged with culpable negligence.

It wasn't immediately clear whether Walker had an attorney. His phone number was not listed and jail records didn't give a lawyer for him.

Police say he has a concealed weapons permit.

Hillsborough County sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter says the uncle was not in the room when the shooting happened, but the child's parents were there. The boy was taken to a hospital where he died.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #44
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,432
Re: Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister

Whats your point?
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #45
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 3,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I won't start a new thread just add another tragedy to the growing list ,again another needless death through the ignorance of a gun owner.

Fla. boy, 3, fatally shoots self with uncle's gun | US National Headlines | Comcast

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a 3-year-old Florida boy has died after shooting himself with a gun he found in his uncle's backpack.

The shooting happened Tuesday night in a bedroom Jadarrius Speights shared with his uncle at an apartment complex in Tampa. Authorities say the uncle, 29-year-old Jeffrey D. Walker, has been charged with culpable negligence.

It wasn't immediately clear whether Walker had an attorney. His phone number was not listed and jail records didn't give a lawyer for him.

Police say he has a concealed weapons permit.

Hillsborough County sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter says the uncle was not in the room when the shooting happened, but the child's parents were there. The boy was taken to a hospital where he died.

http://www.ksby.com/news/local-boy-d...f-pool-safety/

At the end of the day what is the difference? If you are going to be irresponsible with something that's on you. There's no need to punish the majority for the minority.
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29179 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25