Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #31
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 52
Posts: 9,256
Well, let me ask you this ... if two adult siblings wish to enter into a contract of marriage with each other (I.e. a lifelong commitment of mutual support, cohabitation, sexual relations and the right to have/adopt children & raise them). What basis, if any, would you have to deny them the legal right to do so? Do you see anything wrong with such a union? Is the bottom line simply do what you want so long as you do not cause physical or emotional harm that manifests itself in an immediate and obvious manner?
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #32
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 8,270
Re: Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Well, let me ask you this ... if two adult siblings wish to enter into a contract of marriage with each other (I.e. a lifelong commitment of mutual support, cohabitation, sexual relations and the right to have/adopt children & raise them). What basis, if any, would you have to deny them the legal right to do so? Do you see anything wrong with such a union? Is the bottom line simply do what you want so long as you do not cause physical or emotional harm that manifests itself in an immediate and obvious manner?
Is the chance of children with flippers a valid reason?
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:24 AM   #33
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,352
Re: Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement


This explains the ignorance .... Pennsylvania Republican Gov. Tom Corbett compared the marriage of same-sex couples to the marriage of a brother and sister during an appearance on a Friday morning TV news show, a remark that was quickly condemned by advocates involved in the state's ongoing battle over whether to allow gays to wed.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #34
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,517
Re: Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Well, let me ask you this ... if two adult siblings wish to enter into a contract of marriage with each other (I.e. a lifelong commitment of mutual support, cohabitation, sexual relations and the right to have/adopt children & raise them). What basis, if any, would you have to deny them the legal right to do so? Do you see anything wrong with such a union? Is the bottom line simply do what you want so long as you do not cause physical or emotional harm that manifests itself in an immediate and obvious manner?
incest = gay marriage?

really Joe?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #35
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 3,239
Wow. It really does show you where we really are as a society when people compare homosexuality to incest. It's just too dumb to even really argue with. If your view is that narrow minded it is what it is, not much you can say to change that.

The lyrics from that Mackelmore song come to mind. "America the brave, still fears what we don't know"
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #36
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well first off I'm not against gay marriage. Just go back and see prior post. If two guys can fall in love why can't a sister and brother?
Might wanna re-read my post, never said or insinuated that you were against gay marriage. I just that anyone who would compare homosexuality to incest is very narrow minded. Then you reply with the above statement and compare them. If you really can't tell the difference, I don't really know what to tell you.
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #37
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,585
Re: Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #38
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,517
Re: Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

ugh wandering into dumbville now
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #39
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 52
Posts: 9,256
Re: Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
incest = gay marriage?

really Joe?
Did I say they were equivalent? I think it is very different. Just as many think that a homosexual marriage is very different from that of the historical definition of marriage. At the same time, however, I simply assert that the ability for any State to legally prohibit such a union is highly questionable in light of the SC's rationale for invalidating DOMA.

The legal basis for homosexual marriage is that we cannot deny two consenting adults the right to enter into the contract of marriage. Even if a legislative body properly enacts such a denial through the appropriate legal process, the denial of the right to marry between two consenting adults is an unconstitutional denial of their equal protection under the law and due process rights. How is such a contract between two consenting siblings any less a denial of the same?

Based on the DOMA ruling, incestous, polygamous and other contractual unions between consenting adults cannot rely on the "b/c the majority of us don't like it" or even, I would suggest, "b/c we think it unhealthy". One of the arguments for traditional marriage was the "health and well being" of the American family structure. In striking down the argument - rather than recognizes an overriding societal concern held by the majority as a legitimate and appropriate legislative goal - the Court said such arguments do not outweigh the right of consenting individuals to enter into contracts, and gain the benefits of such a contract, that are granted under a marriage contract.

To be clear (1) I do not oppose homosexual marriage; and (2) I think incestous marriages are in no way equivalent of homosexual marriages. I am only highlighting the effects of judicial activism in the DOMA ruling. IMHO,by removing the definition of "marriage" from the appropriate policy making body, the SC has created a situation in which, only through base hypocrisy, can it legally uphold a State's prohibition agains incestous marriages.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #40
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,352
Re: Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
See the right has been making this point but the left has told us we were narrow minded. So your bias to a brother and sister who may love each other in a way that does not fit your morals. Now that's narrow minded. If a bro/sis, bro/bro or sis/sis want to get married why should I pass judgment on them?

I am seriously upset that you aren't ashamed of this remark !
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #41
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,352
Re: Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
The left has taught us not to judge and when we don't we are now being told to be ashamed. Wow, such double standards.

You think mighty highly of yourself , you say we a lot like others agree with you ,....yet no one has ,at least not on the remark in question.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #42
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,517
Re: Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Did I say they were equivalent? I think it is very different. Just as many think that a homosexual marriage is very different from that of the historical definition of marriage. At the same time, however, I simply assert that the ability for any State to legally prohibit such a union is highly questionable in light of the SC's rationale for invalidating DOMA.

The legal basis for homosexual marriage is that we cannot deny two consenting adults the right to enter into the contract of marriage. Even if a legislative body properly enacts such a denial through the appropriate legal process, the denial of the right to marry between two consenting adults is an unconstitutional denial of their equal protection under the law and due process rights. How is such a contract between two consenting siblings any less a denial of the same?

Based on the DOMA ruling, incestous, polygamous and other contractual unions between consenting adults cannot rely on the "b/c the majority of us don't like it" or even, I would suggest, "b/c we think it unhealthy". One of the arguments for traditional marriage was the "health and well being" of the American family structure. In striking down the argument - rather than recognizes an overriding societal concern held by the majority as a legitimate and appropriate legislative goal - the Court said such arguments do not outweigh the right of consenting individuals to enter into contracts, and gain the benefits of such a contract, that are granted under a marriage contract.

To be clear (1) I do not oppose homosexual marriage; and (2) I think incestous marriages are in no way equivalent of homosexual marriages. I am only highlighting the effects of judicial activism in the DOMA ruling. IMHO,by removing the definition of "marriage" from the appropriate policy making body, the SC has created a situation in which, only through base hypocrisy, can it legally uphold a State's prohibition agains incestous marriages.
I understand what you're saying from the legal perspective.

It can just be unsettling when incest is mentioned along with gay marriage.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #43
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 52
Posts: 9,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I understand what you're saying from the legal perspective.

It can just be unsettling when incest is mentioned along with gay marriage.
I agree - it is unsettling. It should be.

I think it should be equally unsettling that, by ignoring Constitutional precedent and overturning DOMA simply b/c they thought it a "bad" law, the SC has rendered the two legally equivalent.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #44
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,352
Re: Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I agree - it is unsettling. It should be.

I think it should be equally unsettling that, by ignoring Constitutional precedent and overturning DOMA simply b/c they thought it a "bad" law, the SC has rendered the two legally equivalent.

No , not in anyone's mind.

I will admit someone else said this but I do agree with it .


"
Equal civil rights and gay marriage help to promote a stable community whereas polygamy and incest do not.

The short answer:
No. To promote stability in a community, defending a stabilizing factor such as gay marriage does not require one to also defend the unstable practices of polygamy and incest.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.

Last edited by Giantone; 10-07-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #45
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 52
Posts: 9,256
So sorry wrong answer. Pursuant to the DOMA ruling, the rights one is entitled to under a marriage contract are Constitutionally guaranteed - if granted to one class they must be guaranteed to all. Regardless of whether you or a majority of people think it societally destructive, the rights are individually guaranteed and trump any societal policy concerns.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33413 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25