Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #46
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 52
Posts: 9,190
To be fair, given the provable and immediate health risks to offspring, the argument that incestuous marriage should be prohibited has some traction even under the DOMA. The same simply cannot be said about polygamy.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #47
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 13,048
Re: Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
No , not in anyone's mind.

I will admit someone else said this but I do agree with it .


"
Equal civil rights and gay marriage help to promote a stable community whereas polygamy and incest do not.

The short answer:
No. To promote stability in a community, defending a stabilizing factor such as gay marriage does not require one to also defend the unstable practices of polygamy and incest.
I think that what JR is saying is that your argument would be the same that those opposing gay marriage would have used successfully 15-25 years ago. And his point is that, based on the text of the Supreme Court ruling, you can't use the same logic now. Hence it opens up an area, that most people even in this day and age, say is unacceptable.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #48
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,351
Re: Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Ok, I realize some here think I'm actually serious.LOL


Looks have nothing to do with the statement you made ,how would anyone know that you weren't serous ?
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #49
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 52
Posts: 9,190
Re: Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I think that what JR is saying is that your argument would be the same that those opposing gay marriage would have used successfully 15-25 years ago. And his point is that, based on the text of the Supreme Court ruling, you can't use the same logic now. Hence it opens up an area, that most people even in this day and age, say is unacceptable.
Ding ding ding - We have a winner.

You must be related to someone brilliant. Probably an older brother.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #50
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Is the chance of children with flippers a valid reason?
Pretty much my thoughts. Although flippers would actually be cool. Especially if they joined the swim team.
Seriously though birth defects or a chance there of would be an issue.
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #51
Fire Bruce NOW
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,434
Re: Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Ok, I realize some here think I'm actually serious.LOL
You know what they do in Mississippi on Halloween? Pump kin.
__________________
Bruce Allen when in charge alone: 4-12 (.250)
Bruce Allen's overall Redskins record : 28-52 (.350)
Vinny Cerrato's record when in charge alone: 52-65 (.444)
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #52
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
he also said the we dont need the voting rights act. that was for when there was racism in the south. now a days the south is no more racist then me. what an out of touch douche
Not to stray off topic but racism is, unfortunately, very alive still. The things that come out of the mouths of people i think i know on a regular basis make me want to live on another planet. I live in New Jersey too. I can only imagine what bubbles beneath the surface in the south.
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #53
Fire Bruce NOW
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,434
Re: Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Not to stray off topic but racism is, unfortunately, very alive still. The things that come out of the mouths of people i think i know on a regular basis make me want to live on another planet. I live in New Jersey too. I can only imagine what bubbles beneath the surface in the south.
Racism in the South is not like it used to be. But compared to the north, it is more direct and not hidden when it happens.
__________________
Bruce Allen when in charge alone: 4-12 (.250)
Bruce Allen's overall Redskins record : 28-52 (.350)
Vinny Cerrato's record when in charge alone: 52-65 (.444)
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #54
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,840
Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Racism in the South is not like it used to be. But compared to the north, it is more direct and not hidden when it happens.
Yes - i meant that there are so many people - north and south- that are racist "inside", but i am sure it is worse in the south. More "closet racists".
Edit: bubbles beneath the surface of individuals
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #55
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 52
Posts: 9,190
Re: Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Pretty much my thoughts. Although flippers would actually be cool. Especially if they joined the swim team.
Seriously though birth defects or a chance there of would be an issue.
Yup, again, however, if consenting adults decide that their love is worth the risk, who are you to deny them their rights? If two individuals (unrelated) are likely to have unhealthy children, are they denied the right to marry? Nope. In fact, two unrelated people who are medically certain to have a child with birth defects can get married - as long as they are mentally/legally capable of granting consent. Why can't two consenting adults who are only likely have a child with birth defects get married.

Further, by simply aborting any fetus which exhibits birth defects, they completely avoid the possible unhealthy ramifications. Very simply, through modern science, we can remove any of the traditional health related objections to such a contract.

Other than a majority of people finding it repulsive, explain to me why two or more consenting adults cannot enter into a marriage contract (an agreement to provide lifelong mutual support). How is the prohibition of incestuous or polygamous marriage, b/c we find it repulsive anything other than another attempt "to disparage and to injure" a group of people through marriage laws. Under the logic of the DOMA ruling, doesn't it logically follow that by "treating those persons as living in marriages less respected than others [a statute prohibiting incestuous/polygamous marriages] is in violation of the Fifth Amendment." ?? [If it is a State law it would be the 14th Amendment].

Quoted language is from the majority opinion in the DOMA ruling.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #56
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,840
Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Yup, again, however, if consenting adults decide that their love is worth the risk, who are you to deny them their rights? If two individuals (unrelated) are likely to have unhealthy children, are they denied the right to marry? Nope. In fact, two unrelated people who are medically certain to have a child with birth defects can get married - as long as they are mentally/legally capable of granting consent. Why can't two consenting adults who are only likely have a child with birth defects get married.

Further, by simply aborting any fetus which exhibits birth defects, they completely avoid the possible unhealthy ramifications. Very simply, through modern science, we can remove any of the traditional health related objections to such a contract.

Other than a majority of people finding it repulsive, explain to me why two or more consenting adults cannot enter into a marriage contract (an agreement to provide lifelong mutual support). How is the prohibition of incestuous or polygamous marriage, b/c we find it repulsive anything other than another attempt "to disparage and to injure" a group of people through marriage laws. Under the logic of the DOMA ruling, doesn't it logically follow that by "treating those persons as living in marriages less respected than others [a statute prohibiting incestuous/polygamous marriages] is in violation of the Fifth Amendment." ?? [If it is a State law it would be the 14th Amendment].

Quoted language is from the majority opinion in the DOMA ruling.
I guess at the end of the day having sex with my daughter when she comes of age is so far removed from the world of righteousness and her being a lesbian is not. Im not one to easily dismiss something as wrong, and am extremely open minded. If it makes you happy is a beautiful law to live by. There is always a line though and insest crosses it imo.
Give me an example of two unrelated people who are likely to have unhealthy children?
In most cases those people would be advised by doctors and there is some discretion used, but darryl, his brother darryl, and his other brother darryl are throwing caution to the wind and probably dont take regular visits for consultation on such life decisions.
Edit: polygamy imo is fine. I have no issues with it at all. If u are single and dating a couple of girls that are aware and not bothered by it than why not live together happily ever after?
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.

Last edited by punch it in; 10-07-2013 at 09:41 PM.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #57
Fire Bruce NOW
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,434
Re: Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

One could make the argument that no known society in human history has tolerated incest. For sure, societies define what "incest" means differently. But anthropologists tell us that every society has some sort of incest taboo. Perhaps for Darwinian reasons, being human through history is fairly synonymous with incest avoidance.

The same argument cannot be made at all for homosexuality, either now or in the past. Some societies have even institutionalized it in religious and/or coming of age rituals.
__________________
Bruce Allen when in charge alone: 4-12 (.250)
Bruce Allen's overall Redskins record : 28-52 (.350)
Vinny Cerrato's record when in charge alone: 52-65 (.444)
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #58
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,351
Re: Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
How does gay marriage make for a stable community?

The exact same way a heterosexual marriage would ,why would it not ?
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #59
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
The exact same way a heterosexual marriage would ,why would it not ?
I dont think he was saying gay marriage "doesnt" make for a stable society. Just how "does" it? How does heterosexual marriage make for one either?
Are single people any less stable than married ones?
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #60
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,489
Re: Supreme Court delivers wins for gay marriage movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
How does gay marriage make for a stable community?
How are gay couples any less (or more) stable than a heterosexual couple? Do the laws of physics change when they are together? Is it like putting extra neutrons into a atom making it unstable?
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29805 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25