Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Fringes of Football


Overseas Redskins fans (non American born) sign in here

Fringes of Football


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #46
Camp Scrub
 
ICantGoAnother20yrsOfCrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Philly
Posts: 66
Re: Overseas Redskins fans (non American born) sign in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan22 View Post
Neither I am.
I think there would be many issues
1/ as Glasgow Celtic said, problems for the team travelling in London. Could you imagine how tired could be the teams coming from the Western Coast like the 49ers or the Seahawks?
2/ I don't see players playing for the London team being very motivated in playing for a team which is not in their country, being far from their family and supported by a very heterogeneous public coming from various part of Europe (and obviously a public who couldn't afford to go to London at every game)

That's my humble point of view
Yeah the logistics would be bad. But who's motivated to play in Jacksonville? No one goes to the games.
__________________
"Come on Sandy, baby, loosen up, your too tight." -Riggo
ICantGoAnother20yrsOfCrap is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #47
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,734
Re: Overseas Redskins fans (non American born) sign in here

Every time I hear about Ranger-Celtic I always think of this documentary. Granted I knew about the rivalry before I saw it but really all I knew was that it had a reputation as possibly the most intense and dangerous rivalry in the world. Not to many specifics beyond that.


It's kind of sad. I aced an Irish History course I took on a whim in college, which I was interested in, being part Irish myself, but I'm kind of ashamed to say that I know so little about the history of Scotland. Before watching this doc I was shocked to learn that the Protestant-Catholic dynamic was even present there.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:45 AM   #48
Impact Rookie
 
TheGuyFromOverThere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Age: 36
Posts: 529
Re: Overseas Redskins fans (non American born) sign in here

I´m against a NFL Team over here, too, for the same reasons as mentioned before. I guess you´d find more people for it in the NFL front office than here.

What I´d like though: don´t throw all the overseas games (if you have/want to do them anyways) into London but also bring some to Germany.

I mean, honestly, there is a reason why in the last year(s) of the NFL Europe there were 5 Teams based in Germany and none in GB. And that was NOT because it was sooo damn popular in GB. Actually, when I was at the London game in 2008, there was virtually not a single person from England in a 15 meter radius around me. All Germans, Danes, Swedes or French.

And please don´t start with language barriers or harder to reach. I don´t think it´s any harder to get from the U.S. to Frankfurt or Berlin than to London. And there are enough people in the right positions in Germany whose English is sufficient for those negotiations.
TheGuyFromOverThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:31 AM   #49
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,283
Re: Overseas Redskins fans (non American born) sign in here

i've been all over germany and there's literally not a single place you can go in the entire country where you actually need to speak german.

top of zugspitz? english, random climbers on on the way up? english random town with a population under 1,000? english.

the scandanavian countries are the same way. paris isn't quite as fluent, but it's not bad at all there. tokyo on the other hand... good luck!
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:39 AM   #50
Impact Rookie
 
TheGuyFromOverThere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Age: 36
Posts: 529
Re: Overseas Redskins fans (non American born) sign in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post

top of zugspitz? english, random climbers on on the way up? english
A bit off-topic, but... which way did you take up?
TheGuyFromOverThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #51
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,028
Re: Overseas Redskins fans (non American born) sign in here

I find it interesting that you guys love pigskin enough to hang out on the Warpath yet still are not in favor of a European team.

As for Germany, I agree that it is not really harder to do a game in a place like Frankfurt than it is in Wembley Stadium.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #52
Special Teams
 
Glasgow Celtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Norfolk England
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I find it interesting that you guys love pigskin enough to hang out on the Warpath yet still are not in favor of a European team.

As for Germany, I agree that it is not really harder to do a game in a place like Frankfurt than it is in Wembley Stadium.
Its not that we don't want a team its the fact it most probably fail over time.

The supporter dynamic over here may differ to what's acceptable in the us where people ditch their favourite team because a franchise is launched in their city.

Even if london got a team I would still be a redskins fan and root against the london franchise.

For example I live in england but I am still and always will be a celtic fan and go to games at paradise when I can although they play in scotland, I could never consider being a fan of a team in the english league its a part of who I am, period.

And the same goes for teams of other clubs.
Glasgow Celtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #53
Special Teams
 
Glasgow Celtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Norfolk England
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Every time I hear about Ranger-Celtic I always think of this documentary. Granted I knew about the rivalry before I saw it but really all I knew was that it had a reputation as possibly the most intense and dangerous rivalry in the world. Not to many specifics beyond that.


It's kind of sad. I aced an Irish History course I took on a whim in college, which I was interested in, being part Irish myself, but I'm kind of ashamed to say that I know so little about the history of Scotland. Before watching this doc I was shocked to learn that the Protestant-Catholic dynamic was even present there.
Celtic were formed to feed the poor of glasgow's impoverished east end and beyond and to this day still a charitable concern.

They are the team of choice for most catholic soccer fans, but, its important to stress they have always been a non denominational club and welcome any players or fans of any creed or colour, its always been the clubs mission statement to be all embracing to everyone who wants to be a part of celtic all are welcome.

Rangers on the other hand employed a no catholic employment or player policy to be excusively prodestant up until as recently as the late 80s.

Let that sink in for a minute.

Now you can probably see where the hatred eminates from.
Glasgow Celtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #54
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,028
Re: Overseas Redskins fans (non American born) sign in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasgow Celtic View Post
Celtic were formed to feed the poor of glasgow's impoverished east end and beyond and to this day still a charitable concern.

They are the team of choice for most catholic soccer fans, but, its important to stress they have always been a non denominational club and welcome any players or fans of any creed or colour, its always been the clubs mission statement to be all embracing to everyone who wants to be a part of celtic all are welcome.

Rangers on the other hand employed a no catholic employment or player policy to be excusively prodestant up until as recently as the late 80s.

Let that sink in for a minute.


Now you can probably see where the hatred eminates from.
I understand that the Catholic-Protestant dynamic is different in the UK than in the USA. But that is still messed up. Knowing this, I shall root against Rangers even though I am not Catholic.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #55
Impact Rookie
 
TheGuyFromOverThere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Age: 36
Posts: 529
Re: Overseas Redskins fans (non American born) sign in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I find it interesting that you guys love pigskin enough to hang out on the Warpath yet still are not in favor of a European team.

As for Germany, I agree that it is not really harder to do a game in a place like Frankfurt than it is in Wembley Stadium.
There are European Teams. Just no European Pro Teams. By far not NFL-Caliber. I´d say the GFL (German Football League), the highest class in Germany should be able to compete at a lower collegiate level. As you probably know, Vollmer (Patriots), Kuhn (Giants) and Werner (Colts) are products of this league - even though they got sharpened in their college time in the U.S.

So even though there is no way for watching NFL level football here live in a stadium (except for London) there is plenty of opportunity for watching football.

I.e. Munich were I lived until November 2013, there were about 10 teams in a 50km circle (all German levels) and now in Vienna I can chose from several different teams.
TheGuyFromOverThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #56
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
I recall the good old days of "Are you a Billy or a Dan or an old tin can?".

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #57
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,028
Re: Overseas Redskins fans (non American born) sign in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyFromOverThere View Post
There are European Teams. Just no European Pro Teams. By far not NFL-Caliber. I´d say the GFL (German Football League), the highest class in Germany should be able to compete at a lower collegiate level. As you probably know, Vollmer (Patriots), Kuhn (Giants) and Werner (Colts) are products of this league - even though they got sharpened in their college time in the U.S.

So even though there is no way for watching NFL level football here live in a stadium (except for London) there is plenty of opportunity for watching football.

I.e. Munich were I lived until November 2013, there were about 10 teams in a 50km circle (all German levels) and now in Vienna I can chose from several different teams.
Good stuff. When I think of Vienna I think of beer, art, and Freud, not football, but I'll have to change my ways.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #58
Impact Rookie
 
TheGuyFromOverThere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Age: 36
Posts: 529
Re: Overseas Redskins fans (non American born) sign in here

Some teams are heavily influenced by the NFL.

For example, the Vienna Vikings have nearly the exact logo as the Minnessota Vikings. Berlin Adler (Eagles) have the same wings on their helmets as does that Philly scum, but in an other color scheme. Other teams are partially influenced, like Braunschweig Lions or Düsseldorf Panthers - similar names, completely different logos. And a lot of them are "independet" and have names that fit their region. Like the Schweinfurt Ball Bearings or the Traunreut Munisiers - a ball bearing factory and an ammunition factory in their towns influenced those names.

But you should never get the impression that it´s just "that big" because there are a lot of amateur teams. The average number of spectators in the GFL 2013 were about 1.300, with the highest team bringing in 4.500 and the worst 500. This does not reflect the interest in football itself though - Frankfurt Galaxy hat an average of 33.000 in 2010.

Also, the superbowl this had been watched in free TV by about 1.5 million people (be aware there are "only" 80 million people here. I don´t have the numbers for pay-TV and streams, but I guess you could easily double that. At 00:32 a.m. KickOff time at a monday morning of a workday I guess that shows a lot of interest.
TheGuyFromOverThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #59
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,283
Re: Overseas Redskins fans (non American born) sign in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyFromOverThere View Post
A bit off-topic, but... which way did you take up?
i walked/climbed up, and took the lift back down (cause it's high altitude and quite a climb, my legs were sore for a week). I didn't take a jacket and i didn't realize that while it was 80 (F) at the base, it was only 50 (F) at the top. oops. I have pics somewhere from the top (above the clouds) and the chapel and all that.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #60
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,028
Re: Overseas Redskins fans (non American born) sign in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyFromOverThere View Post
Some teams are heavily influenced by the NFL.

For example, the Vienna Vikings have nearly the exact logo as the Minnessota Vikings. Berlin Adler (Eagles) have the same wings on their helmets as does that Philly scum, but in an other color scheme. Other teams are partially influenced, like Braunschweig Lions or Düsseldorf Panthers - similar names, completely different logos. And a lot of them are "independet" and have names that fit their region. Like the Schweinfurt Ball Bearings or the Traunreut Munisiers - a ball bearing factory and an ammunition factory in their towns influenced those names.

But you should never get the impression that it´s just "that big" because there are a lot of amateur teams. The average number of spectators in the GFL 2013 were about 1.300, with the highest team bringing in 4.500 and the worst 500. This does not reflect the interest in football itself though - Frankfurt Galaxy hat an average of 33.000 in 2010.

Also, the superbowl this had been watched in free TV by about 1.5 million people (be aware there are "only" 80 million people here. I don´t have the numbers for pay-TV and streams, but I guess you could easily double that. At 00:32 a.m. KickOff time at a monday morning of a workday I guess that shows a lot of interest.
That is so informative and interesting! The NFL needs more teams with names like "Ball Bearings."
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31734 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25