Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Drafting a safety.

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2007, 02:20 PM   #31
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 36
Posts: 8,743
Re: Drafting a safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDALY27 View Post
7 million in dead cap the following year is too large to handle. You only do that when the player is so bad or such a problem its not worth seeing his face another year.

Is AA at that point in your opinion?

Do you not see a scenario where he bounces back and starts?

I can!
This is incorrect. The Redskins seem to have a lot of money tied up in cap figures for the 2008 season (currently stands at $102 million against the $116 million projected cap), but $60 million of it is tied to base salaries which can easily be renegotiated (and will be as the team has historically done). For example, saying goodbye to Brunell sometime before the 2008 season would clear his $6.5 million salary off the books and create almost enough space to handle Archuleta's $7 million deadcap hit alone. In addition, guys like Jansen, Samuels, R Thomas, Portis, Springs, and Marcus Washington are all scheduled to make $4 million or higher in 2008 base salaries. These can easily be renegotiated this time next year to clear another $10-$20 million in 2008 cap space, if the team needs.

The team has plenty of flexibility to not only cut Archuleta, but also cut Brandon Lloyd this year if they wanted to. Should they try to cut both, then they'd be more restricted in free agency. I don't think they'll do that, but they easily have the cap flexibility to create the space they need in both 2007 and 2008.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #32
Special Teams
 
skinsWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cow-pukes Country
Age: 32
Posts: 191
Re: Drafting a safety.

i siad this in another post but We all remember what a beast Matt Bowen was b4 he hurt his knee... wasnt it like 5 sacks in the first 3 games? But he was a liability in coverage too. GW was trying to get a guy like that in AA but benched him for being so weak against the pass, which SOMETIMES is reflective of the pass rush (or lack there of)... but hes a good enough athlete to play in the NFL and for us, maybe we should keep him IF HE WILL RESTRUCTURE to earn a chance prove himself.
skinsWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #33
Playmaker
 
GhettoDogAllStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Age: 33
Posts: 2,761
Re: Drafting a safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsWill View Post
i siad this in another post but We all remember what a beast Matt Bowen was b4 he hurt his knee... wasnt it like 5 sacks in the first 3 games? But he was a liability in coverage too. GW was trying to get a guy like that in AA but benched him for being so weak against the pass, which SOMETIMES is reflective of the pass rush (or lack there of)... but hes a good enough athlete to play in the NFL and for us, maybe we should keep him IF HE WILL RESTRUCTURE to earn a chance prove himself.
Yeah, I'd be in favor of keeping AA at the vet minimum, or close to it. However, I can't see ANY way he'd do that. He's not going to give money back, and we're not going to convert his base salary into signing bonuses as far as restructuring goes.
__________________
To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
GhettoDogAllStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:54 PM   #34
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 33
Posts: 17,692
Re: Drafting a safety.

What kind of leverage do you think he'll have: "OK coach, yes I DID get beaten like Malcolm's fiancee each game, but do you really think I'm going to take a pay cut?!"
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #35
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 36
Posts: 8,743
Re: Drafting a safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsWill View Post
i siad this in another post but We all remember what a beast Matt Bowen was b4 he hurt his knee... wasnt it like 5 sacks in the first 3 games? But he was a liability in coverage too. GW was trying to get a guy like that in AA but benched him for being so weak against the pass, which SOMETIMES is reflective of the pass rush (or lack there of)... but hes a good enough athlete to play in the NFL and for us, maybe we should keep him IF HE WILL RESTRUCTURE to earn a chance prove himself.
Good thought on restructuring AA, but the point is moot on creating cap space for 2007 or 2008. He's on the books to make the vet minimum base salary in 2007, and only $2 million in roster bonus and base salary combined in 2008.

If you're going to try to reduce a player's cap hit by asking them to take a paycut, the only way the cap number can go down is if they reduce the base salary or reduce the roster bonus. Most of Archuleta's cap hit in 2007 and 2008 is tied to his signing bonus. There's no way a player will actually agree to pay back part of his signing bonus. And since Arch is scheduled to make the vet minimum in 2007, you can't go any lower than that.

With Arch, the choices are simple:

1) Keep the bum.
2) Cut him before June 1 and take the $7.6 million cap hit in 2007.
3) Cut him after June 1, save $600K in space in '07, and take the $7 million cap hit in 2008.

Asking for a paycut isn't an option, simply because there's no pay to cut in '07.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #36
Special Teams
 
skinsWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cow-pukes Country
Age: 32
Posts: 191
Re: Drafting a safety.

i understand what your gettin at and your right, he would have no reason to, i was thinking along the lines of restructuring to a more incentive laden deal, but why would he do that either? I guess im still just hoping that we didnt make such a horrible decision getting after him. I was really hoping we could use him like we did Bowen, but w/ the injuries we had this year on DL and CB we couldnt really run alot of those packages w/o people taking deep shots as soon as we bring that package in.
skinsWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #37
Impact Rookie
 
Bill B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 721
Re: Drafting a safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Good thought on restructuring AA, but the point is moot on creating cap space for 2007 or 2008. He's on the books to make the vet minimum base salary in 2007, and only $2 million in roster bonus and base salary combined in 2008.

If you're going to try to reduce a player's cap hit by asking them to take a paycut, the only way the cap number can go down is if they reduce the base salary or reduce the roster bonus. Most of Archuleta's cap hit in 2007 and 2008 is tied to his signing bonus. There's no way a player will actually agree to pay back part of his signing bonus. And since Arch is scheduled to make the vet minimum in 2007, you can't go any lower than that.

With Arch, the choices are simple:

1) Keep the bum.
2) Cut him before June 1 and take the $7.6 million cap hit in 2007.
3) Cut him after June 1, save $600K in space in '07, and take the $7 million cap hit in 2008.

Asking for a paycut isn't an option, simply because there's no pay to cut in '07.

Schneed you are dead on as far as cap savings. In addition the NFL implemented another rule after the Lavar Arrington fiasco that prohibits a player from returning a signing bonus in order to gain cap credits. When Lavar "returned" $4 million of his bonus the Skins got this credited to their cap, but after this happened the NFL changed the rule and teams no longer can gain cap space for this type of transaction. So even if AA said "here take back part of my signing bonus" the Skins would not get any credit for the refund.
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #38
Impact Rookie
 
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: va
Age: 48
Posts: 890
Re: Drafting a safety.

We need to draft dline and then a corner later in the draft. It would be great if we could trade down in the first round and pick up some extra picks. We also need some decent backup oline and another LB too.
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:23 PM   #39
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 39
Posts: 4,261
Re: Drafting a safety.

Safety is the last thing they need to worry about right now. D-line and MLB are much bigger holes. They will do fine with the guys that are already on the team. Just like any sport, you need to be strong in the middle. Stopping the run is goal #1 just listen to any of the embarrassing press conferences.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #40
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 27
Posts: 15,994
Re: Drafting a safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim21Reaper View Post
Safety is the last thing they need to worry about right now. D-line and MLB are much bigger holes. They will do fine with the guys that are already on the team. Just like any sport, you need to be strong in the middle. Stopping the run is goal #1 just listen to any of the embarrassing press conferences.
I agree. I think our safety solution is in house. The D-Line is a much bigger problem. We are old at the ends, weak at the tackles. We also need to bring in a veteran MLB with good cover skills.

This year our line was being blown off the ball in the run game and getting little push in the pass game. I think Andre Carter is bad for our philosophy, but we could build a different philosophy around his skills. That would require us to replace the other 3 guys. Sign a CB, Sign a MLB, draft on the DL.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:36 PM   #41
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,525
Re: Drafting a safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Ryan Clark might come available.
i would welcome Clark back, but do you think the boys in the front office could swallow their pride, and resign him? sometimes its hard to admit mistakes
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #42
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,145
Re: Drafting a safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
i would welcome Clark back, but do you think the boys in the front office could swallow their pride, and resign him? sometimes its hard to admit mistakes
If he's actually cut after just one year in Pittsburgh how much leverage would he really have on the market? The Redskins could probably get him back for not much more than they last offered him.

Personally, I think he stays in Pitt
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:46 PM   #43
Mr. Brightside
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Age: 29
Posts: 4,444
Re: Drafting a safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDALY27 View Post
7 million in dead cap the following year is too large to handle. You only do that when the player is so bad or such a problem its not worth seeing his face another year.

Is AA at that point in your opinion?

Do you not see a scenario where he bounces back and starts?

I can!
i agree with you
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:58 PM   #44
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,525
Re: Drafting a safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS View Post
If he's actually cut after just one year in Pittsburgh how much leverage would he really have on the market? The Redskins could probably get him back for not much more than they last offered him.

Personally, I think he stays in Pitt
im not talking about money. im talking about egos, and how hard it is to admit when you are wrong
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:41 PM   #45
MVP
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 10,070
Re: Drafting a safety.

We need help at CB, MLB and DL before safety. Hell I'd take a decent mid round prospect at OLB before a safety too. Prilouea(sp? gotta learn how to spell that) played it well for us and I feel he can play ti well again assuming his knee comes back ok. Fox didn't kill us so he'd be fine as a backup. Maybe another Clark type in FA for depth but ultimately I don't think we're going to go get someone better than Pierson.

However we could use some young depth at OLB so I see us almost assuredly using a late pick there. Our first pick ideally gets traded so we can get another pick(or two). If that happens then we get a MLB and maybe a tackle. I imagine the only DE we get would be an impact guy like Adams or Jackson. I could see a decent CB with any extra pick we gte from atrade.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29353 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25