Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Drafting a safety.

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007, 05:19 PM   #46
Special Teams
 
JDALY27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 35
Posts: 271
Re: Drafting a safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I agree. I think our safety solution is in house. The D-Line is a much bigger problem. We are old at the ends, weak at the tackles. We also need to bring in a veteran MLB with good cover skills.

This year our line was being blown off the ball in the run game and getting little push in the pass game. I think Andre Carter is bad for our philosophy, but we could build a different philosophy around his skills. That would require us to replace the other 3 guys. Sign a CB, Sign a MLB, draft on the DL.
Prioleau Optimistic About Rehab

This is an interesting article on our Safety situation (Prioleau). For better or worse our coaching guru's put allot of our chips into the AA pot. Prioleau was never more than a special teams type fill in player for us anyway. No telling how well he would have played if healty. Granted, I assume he would have been much better than what we got at that position. I don't know about you guys but this article does not make me feel good about Prioleau making an impact on our D.

I disagree that Andre Carter isn't good for our style of D. He did come on very slowly but had some excellent games at that position.

We need another big time DE at # 6 or a huge impact MLB.

I actually think if our front 7 comes together and our Secondary stays healthy we'll be right back into the top 10 next season.

What do you think?
JDALY27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-19-2007, 08:50 AM   #47
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,288
Re: Drafting a safety.

the FA market is deep in LBs... even though you can almost ALWAYS get mid level LBs and safeties cheaply.

draft DL. either a stud DE at 6 (gaines?), or trade down and get a DE and DT in the later 1st/early 2nd. there's a corner worth signing in FA if we want to go that route. I wouldn't spend the #6 on leon myself.

The biggest reason our D blew up was lack of depth. matt bowen, omar stoutmire, walt harris, ryan clark, and lavar arrington all left and were starting for other teams. that means we had 3 starting DBs sitting on our depth chart, and two of those safeties were under prioleau, who, hopefully, will be back to form for next year.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:54 AM   #48
Camp Scrub
 
cujo0264's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2
Re: Drafting a safety.

I think we need to draft a Middle Linebacker, Marshall is to small to play the middle and Washington needs to fire the safeties coach
cujo0264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #49
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,939
Re: Drafting a safety.

Drafting or signing a FA MLB would solve two problems with one person. Marshall can move over to WLB and fill that postion along with Rocky.

There is talk from the draft experts that say this is one of the strongest class of DE coming out in a long time. There are many good pass rishing DE coming out this year. However our pick is so high, you have to pick the best player regardless of position or trade down.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #50
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,288
Re: Drafting a safety.

yeah, this is a good DE class, and probably a good WR class (due to underclassmen declaring). CB is a bit weaker though.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #51
Impact Rookie
 
Coff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halfmoon, NY
Posts: 561
Re: Drafting a safety.

[quote=Schneed10;270341]If Clark is let go by the Steelers, could there be a bigger no-brainer in the world?
quote]

A no-brainer for whom? Don't forget, this is the Redskin front office you're talking about.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:55 PM   #52
Impact Rookie
 
Coff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halfmoon, NY
Posts: 561
Re: Drafting a safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I mean seriously, you are definitely in the minority on this one

But, hey, if the guy comes back, then we'll have to live with it I guess. It just seems like the damage is irrepairable at this point.
And that's something that the coaches will have to decide. The Skins' have more than just 2 options, cut him or start him. As the Lost Season Series in the Post made clear, depth has been a major issue for the Skins. AA would be a great back-up in case anything happens to Taylor. Just because he was a major dissapointment, doesn't justify an emotional response by the Front Office. Of course, justification and reason have not been tenets of Redskin FO policy. There are many things to consider, but first and foremost it must be remembered that just because he is being paid as a starter doesn't mean he has to start. If they do get rid of him, it is important that they replace him, and I would hate to have to replace a player we already have by using a draft pick, esp. since we have so few.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:37 PM   #53
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Drafting a safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
im not talking about money. im talking about egos, and how hard it is to admit when you are wrong


I'm not throughly convinced the team was wrong about letting Clark depart. He had a good year for us in 05, but he was just one part of an overall pretty good defense. I have never felt we were wrong for not keeping him, because had they really wanted too, they would have. The way our defense played this year, I don't know that he would have made that much of a difference. He did loose his starting job with the Steelers, so I'm more concerned with the production of a player over a period of time, as opposed to one fairly good year.
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:21 AM   #54
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Drafting a safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
I'm not throughly convinced the team was wrong about letting Clark depart. He had a good year for us in 05, but he was just one part of an overall pretty good defense. I have never felt we were wrong for not keeping him, because had they really wanted too, they would have. The way our defense played this year, I don't know that he would have made that much of a difference. He did loose his starting job with the Steelers, so I'm more concerned with the production of a player over a period of time, as opposed to one fairly good year.
I agree. Just because giving Archuleta a big contract was a huge mistake, does not mean that letting Clark walk was also a mistake.

Also, I think the smart money would be on Archuleta rebounding, not Clark.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:45 AM   #55
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,288
Re: Drafting a safety.

if you want to bet on rebounds, i'd take AA with another bad year.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #56
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Drafting a safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
I'm not throughly convinced the team was wrong about letting Clark depart. He had a good year for us in 05, but he was just one part of an overall pretty good defense. I have never felt we were wrong for not keeping him, because had they really wanted too, they would have. The way our defense played this year, I don't know that he would have made that much of a difference. He did loose his starting job with the Steelers, so I'm more concerned with the production of a player over a period of time, as opposed to one fairly good year.
Yeah, I think you're right. We lost in '06 because of the D-line. No penetration from Griff or the Samoan. No pass rush from Daniels or Carter. The line just got run over, plain and simple. Apart from pass coverage, Ryan Clark wouldn't have prevented us from getting trampled by opposing rushing attacks.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #57
Camp Scrub
 
IHATECOVER2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12
Re: Drafting a safety.

TEAMS WANTED COLT BRENNAN?

Rich Miano, UH's liaison to the the NFL, said the Washington Redskins and Miami Dolphins were interested in taking Brennan in the first round of the 2007 draft.
A Miami official told Miano: "We have the ninth pick, and we'd love to take him."
A Washington official said: "We'll take him in the first round."
The Redskins have the sixth pick in the first round.

this bewildering information came from the honolulu advertiser (i was unable to post the actual link because my account is a noob...that is definatley retarded. Why can't I post the link admins?)

Why would the FO be looking at this guy?
IHATECOVER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #58
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,553
Re: Drafting a safety.

Brennan at #6?

That's totally ridiculous even for the Skins.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:48 PM   #59
Camp Scrub
 
IHATECOVER2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12
Re: Drafting a safety.

I totally agree with you. That tidbit made me scratch my head. As if all we need to gel the team is the addition of a quarterback. Campbell is the guy, this is his team. I hope our quarterback situation stays the way it is, with Brunell our number two and Collins, the number three guy. If Vinny is smart he will stay away from qb's. I'm pulling for Anderson at #6...
IHATECOVER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:00 PM   #60
Registered User
 
GiantsSuck703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 293
Re: Drafting a safety.

Heres a suggestion, why dont we see what we have in Reed Doughty, sometimes other teams develop there young guys. There is no way he could be worse than Arch, hell he could be the guy we have been looking for. I dont know what way this team will go in the draft, but unless we trade down there is no way we will pick a safety.
GiantsSuck703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28535 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25