Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Should the Senior Bowl or the Combine Workouts Matter?

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2007, 12:58 AM   #16
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: Should the Senior Bowl or the Combine Workouts Matter?

Yeah, but you could also make a list of great players who flopped at the combine who commenced to flop in the pros. My point is that a certain percentage of players are busts and there's nothing you can do about it. The combine is just one more piece of the puzzle.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-30-2007, 06:10 AM   #17
Thank You, Sean.
 
Gmanc711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Age: 28
Posts: 7,499
Re: Should the Senior Bowl or the Combine Workouts Matter?

I've always hated how players stock increased so much through the combine especially; and the senior bowl. I think there is nothing more that shows than the play on the feild in why you should or shouldnt bring someone on your team (see Archulletta,Adam).

I just think on the feild production means so much more.
__________________
#21
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #18
Special Teams
 
Master4Caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC area
Posts: 374
Re: Should the Senior Bowl or the Combine Workouts Matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
I've always hated how players stock increased so much through the combine especially; and the senior bowl. I think there is nothing more that shows than the play on the feild in why you should or shouldnt bring someone on your team (see Archulletta,Adam).

I just think on the feild production means so much more.
Gmanc, you have a point, but Archuleta doesn't prove it. He's here as a free agent pick-up, not as a draftee who shot up the ranks thru a good combine. Arch had on-field production on tape to look at. Taylor Jacobs, on the other hand, . . . !

Were you saying that Adam's play on the field with the Rams was reason not to bring him here? Which begs the question, did anyone in Ashburn study the tapes?
Master4Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:54 AM   #19
Special Teams
 
marius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 136
Re: Should the Senior Bowl or the Combine Workouts Matter?

I've always thought that looking at a players 40 yard dash time is ridiculous. Wouldn't a 10 yard dash be more useful and relevant to what actually happens in a game? Explosive speed of the mark is better than speed over a relatively long distance for most players.
marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:15 AM   #20
Playmaker
 
Redskins8588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ridgway, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 2,517
Re: Should the Senior Bowl or the Combine Workouts Matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marius View Post
I've always thought that looking at a players 40 yard dash time is ridiculous. Wouldn't a 10 yard dash be more useful and relevant to what actually happens in a game? Explosive speed of the mark is better than speed over a relatively long distance for most players.
I kinda agree but I think it is positional based. I mean a 40 yard dash is more relevant for WR'S, RB'S, CB'S, S, LB'S, and even TE to an extent. Where I think that a 10 yard dash would be better for your OL and DL players and even QB's.
__________________
"I am the best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice" - Sean Taylor
Redskins8588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:05 PM   #21
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,247
Re: Should the Senior Bowl or the Combine Workouts Matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marius View Post
I've always thought that looking at a players 40 yard dash time is ridiculous. Wouldn't a 10 yard dash be more useful and relevant to what actually happens in a game? Explosive speed of the mark is better than speed over a relatively long distance for most players.
they take 10, 20, and 40 times... and sometimes 60 or 100 yard times in addition.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:32 PM   #22
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,279
Re: Should the Senior Bowl or the Combine Workouts Matter?

The only thing the combine is good for is collecting accurate height and weight measurements. A 40 yard dash is different from running in a football game; so much of your time depends upon your start, which is a track & field skill, not a football skill. Players run at different speeds when in pads, some go faster, some go slower.

Vertical leap is not very meaningful either. How high a player jumps is not the most important thing; it's the timing of his jump and how he adjusts to the ball in the air, and how he uses his body to shield defenders.

Bench press: meaningless. Players use leg strength when blocking and tackling a lot more than they use upper body strength.

Now the Senior Bowl, I think that can be meaningful. You can see players playing football. But I wouldn't put much stock in how coachable they are during the Senior Bowl, of course they'll put their best foot forward during that week to help them get more money.

In the end, watching the players play college games is the #1 way to evaluate them.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:29 PM   #23
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,247
Re: Should the Senior Bowl or the Combine Workouts Matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
The only thing the combine is good for is collecting accurate height and weight measurements. A 40 yard dash is different from running in a football game; so much of your time depends upon your start, which is a track & field skill, not a football skill. Players run at different speeds when in pads, some go faster, some go slower.

Vertical leap is not very meaningful either. How high a player jumps is not the most important thing; it's the timing of his jump and how he adjusts to the ball in the air, and how he uses his body to shield defenders.

Bench press: meaningless. Players use leg strength when blocking and tackling a lot more than they use upper body strength.

Now the Senior Bowl, I think that can be meaningful. You can see players playing football. But I wouldn't put much stock in how coachable they are during the Senior Bowl, of course they'll put their best foot forward during that week to help them get more money.

In the end, watching the players play college games is the #1 way to evaluate them.

and what about the senior bowl practices/one on one drills? the combine drill work? i've yet to hear a valid debunking of that, meaning there's at least some real value.

and things like 40 times are a semi useful stat - if one guy runs a 4.3, and another runs a 4.6, its pretty obvious which one is faster, even in pads. If someone runs a 4.35 and another guy runs a 4.31, obviously, the 40 times shouldn't be used as a basis for who to draft. either way, its just a piece to give you an idea of what potential maximums might be. game film is always the most important thing though - but sometimes that's hard to judge because of the competition (cooley played an awkward b-back position in div II, didn't he?).

oh yeah, we drafted carlos rodgers because of his cone times - oops.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:52 PM   #24
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Should the Senior Bowl or the Combine Workouts Matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
and what about the senior bowl practices/one on one drills? the combine drill work? i've yet to hear a valid debunking of that, meaning there's at least some real value.
One-on-one drills reveal little about a player's football intelligence, courage, etc (i.e. the mental component). It's a heck of a lot easier for a WR to look good when he knows he's not going to be blindsided by a safety coming over the top. Such practices also don't reveal how DBs play in zone coverages. They don't reveal how OLs pick up unexpected blitzes. They don't reveal how LBs fight through traffic. The list goes on.

Don't get me wrong, I think there is some value in drills at the Senior Bowl and the combine, but that value is overhyped and minimal. If I ran a scouting team, I would definately send people to the Senior Bowl and Combine, but I would focus 99% of my energy on reviewing game tape.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:54 PM   #25
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,247
Re: Should the Senior Bowl or the Combine Workouts Matter?

and when the tape is of division II or III talent?
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:19 PM   #26
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Should the Senior Bowl or the Combine Workouts Matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
and when the tape is of division II or III talent?
Yeah, I guess the Senior Bowl and combine matters more for those guys. Again, I'm not saying the Senior Bowl and Combine are totally worthless, just seriously overhyped.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:35 PM   #27
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,279
Re: Should the Senior Bowl or the Combine Workouts Matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
and what about the senior bowl practices/one on one drills? the combine drill work? i've yet to hear a valid debunking of that, meaning there's at least some real value.

and things like 40 times are a semi useful stat - if one guy runs a 4.3, and another runs a 4.6, its pretty obvious which one is faster, even in pads. If someone runs a 4.35 and another guy runs a 4.31, obviously, the 40 times shouldn't be used as a basis for who to draft. either way, its just a piece to give you an idea of what potential maximums might be. game film is always the most important thing though - but sometimes that's hard to judge because of the competition (cooley played an awkward b-back position in div II, didn't he?).

oh yeah, we drafted carlos rodgers because of his cone times - oops.
But why do we care what the 40 times are, or how they perform in drills, when we can simply watch them play football on game tape?? If they're fast, it will show. If they're quick and agile, it will show. If they can jump, it will show.

It's not that 40 times aren't mildly useful, it's that they pale in comparison to the real question: can these guys play football?

You don't answer that in drills, you don't answer that in workouts, you don't answer it at the combine. You answer it by playing football and showing you're good at it. The media and the internet overhype the combine and other workouts because libraries of game tape aren't readily available to their readers.

Putting stock in combine results is nothing short of retarded. Some guys played football well, and had good combine results. But you don't draft them because of the combine results. You draft them because they play football well. This stuff means jack squat.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #28
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,247
Re: Should the Senior Bowl or the Combine Workouts Matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
But why do we care what the 40 times are, or how they perform in drills, when we can simply watch them play football on game tape?? If they're fast, it will show. If they're quick and agile, it will show. If they can jump, it will show.

It's not that 40 times aren't mildly useful, it's that they pale in comparison to the real question: can these guys play football?

You don't answer that in drills, you don't answer that in workouts, you don't answer it at the combine. You answer it by playing football and showing you're good at it. The media and the internet overhype the combine and other workouts because libraries of game tape aren't readily available to their readers.

Putting stock in combine results is nothing short of retarded. Some guys played football well, and had good combine results. But you don't draft them because of the combine results. You draft them because they play football well. This stuff means jack squat.
and again, that tape will show almost nothing in div II or div III where lots of players running 4.8s make 4.5 guys look like lightning. saying its totally worthless is completely retarded. its only a piece, but just dismissing it outright is awfully short sighted.

i mean, doughty had 120+ tackles, but he's slow and wouldn't be a good starting safety, even though he obviously played football well and had good tape. meanwhile cooley had 1260 yards receiving in div II and turned out to be great...
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #29
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,279
Re: Should the Senior Bowl or the Combine Workouts Matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
and again, that tape will show almost nothing in div II or div III where lots of players running 4.8s make 4.5 guys look like lightning. saying its totally worthless is completely retarded. its only a piece, but just dismissing it outright is awfully short sighted.

i mean, doughty had 120+ tackles, but he's slow and wouldn't be a good starting safety, even though he obviously played football well and had good tape. meanwhile cooley had 1260 yards receiving in div II and turned out to be great...
It can't be dismissed outright, you're right, it serves a SMALL purpose. But watching a D II or D III player on film is still more valuable than testing his 40 time on a track. Speed isn't everything. Doughty was not drafted to be a starting safety. He was drafted because he is a tremendous form tackler, and he showed ON GAME TAPE that he has absolutely no fear when running down the field on kickoff coverage. And he made several great special teams plays for us.

NFL Scouts spend the majority of their time traveling to watch players play in games, or watching game film of them. So why the hell do fans spend so much time focusing on workout results? You'd get a lot more information by watching game film. If you're putting any more time into the workout results than simply glancing over the 40 times and checking the height and weight, then you're wasting your time.

And besides, how many D II or D III players get considered? It's 90-95% D I players you're scouting. Game tape of them shows how they look against their peers.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #30
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,515
Re: Should the Senior Bowl or the Combine Workouts Matter?

i think alot of the importance on the 40 times is because alot of the schools always inflate numbers to make some of the players look that much better
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33739 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25