Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Maske/JLC: Gibbs Hints Redskins Might Trade Up

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2007, 12:27 PM   #121
Playmaker
 
artmonkforhallofamein07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charleston , SC
Posts: 4,718
Re: Maske/JLC: Gibbs Hints Redskins Might Trade Up

You know what guys... I am sick and tired of getting all worked up over the Redskins. If they do a deal to move up or down or get Briggs I'm going to accept and cheer for my team. These guys have to know what they are doing, come on Joe Gibbs is the only coach of the Redskins to ever win a superbowl, so the guy knows how to build a football team. All of us fans want one thing or another and think the world os going to collapse around us if that doesn't happen. At this point I'm just like make us better how ever you do it just make us better.

HAIL!!
__________________
Robert Griffin III welcome to the Washington Redskins!

Year 1 - NFC EAST Champions at 10-6

Year 2 - 3-10... Benched 14 weeks to late.....

Year 3 - Pure Awesomeness!!

http://site.fandangoracinginc.com/
artmonkforhallofamein07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-29-2007, 12:58 PM   #122
Special Teams
 
jrocx69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dallas
Age: 33
Posts: 461
Re: Maske/JLC: Gibbs Hints Redskins Might Trade Up

Im all down for calvin johnson, you dont see a player of this magnitude for years at a time. along with moss.... this would open up so much for the running game as well help moss big time in the intermediate routes. its ridiculous that you guys cant see that... you want campbell to work out, but you need to feed him. and calvin johnson is a lock. 6'5 230 runs a 4.35(40) and has the hands better than any wr in the NFL now.
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #123
Impact Rookie
 
calia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Woodside, CA
Age: 46
Posts: 778
Angry Re: Maske/JLC: Gibbs Hints Redskins Might Trade Up

I have a new draft strategy. Every year from now on, let's use all of our picks to secure the highest pick we can -- in the top 3. So we get 1 pick a year. Foregoing the rest of the draft, we can then buy the most expensive old veterans in the twilight of their careers. And let's have the roster turn over a lot, to try different combinations (the whole "team" thing is overrated).

Oh -- that isn't a new strategy, that's the existing strategy. My bad.
calia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:54 PM   #124
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Maske/JLC: Gibbs Hints Redskins Might Trade Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
You know what guys... I am sick and tired of getting all worked up over the Redskins. If they do a deal to move up or down or get Briggs I'm going to accept and cheer for my team. These guys have to know what they are doing, come on Joe Gibbs is the only coach of the Redskins to ever win a superbowl, so the guy knows how to build a football team. All of us fans want one thing or another and think the world os going to collapse around us if that doesn't happen. At this point I'm just like make us better how ever you do it just make us better.

HAIL!!
I'm a big Gibbs sycophant. I am. But the fact is, the guy signed off on Archuletta and Lloyd. How'd that work out? Gibbs didn't build his Super Bowl winning teams. Beathard did. I'm not saying he's not a good judge of character/talent, nor am I saying he is mistake prone. But I don't have blind faith in the man either. Joe Gibbs knows how to coach a football team. I think the jury is still out on whether or not he knows how to BUILD a football team.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:24 PM   #125
Playmaker
 
artmonkforhallofamein07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charleston , SC
Posts: 4,718
Re: Maske/JLC: Gibbs Hints Redskins Might Trade Up

Alright GM I can agree with that, but didn't Gibbs have a really big part on buildiing the offensive side of the ball during the 80s. On Arch I'd say he was more of a Gregg W mistake than Gibbs. Also the jury is still out, for me anyway, on B. Lloyd. I think the guy can make plays, he needs to have a good training camp and season. If not than he is done in Washington.
__________________
Robert Griffin III welcome to the Washington Redskins!

Year 1 - NFC EAST Champions at 10-6

Year 2 - 3-10... Benched 14 weeks to late.....

Year 3 - Pure Awesomeness!!

http://site.fandangoracinginc.com/
artmonkforhallofamein07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:32 PM   #126
Camp Scrub
 
DieHardSince76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: VA
Age: 60
Posts: 23
Re: Maske/JLC: Gibbs Hints Redskins Might Trade Up

Just as I was trying to get my mind around the Briggs trade, Gibbs comes out with this one! I know that Calvin Johnson is a terrific WR, but we don't need him unless we can find someone to fob Brandon Lloyd off on. This idea of trading up makes NO SENSE AT ALL!
DieHardSince76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:35 PM   #127
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,492
Re: Maske/JLC: Gibbs Hints Redskins Might Trade Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
They're all a bunch of idiots! They should be going out for Italian Ice at Rita's in order to save a couple of dollars for tomorrow's dessert. Don't they know anything?
Yeah, there's no beating a Gelati from Rita's:

Custard on the bottom (Choc. Van, or the new hot pick is twist)
Ice in the middle (I hear mango has moved up a couple spots)
Custard on the bottom (the word custard just sounds delecious)
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:37 PM   #128
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Maske/JLC: Gibbs Hints Redskins Might Trade Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
Alright GM I can agree with that, but didn't Gibbs have a really big part on buildiing the offensive side of the ball during the 80s. On Arch I'd say he was more of a Gregg W mistake than Gibbs. Also the jury is still out, for me anyway, on B. Lloyd. I think the guy can make plays, he needs to have a good training camp and season. If not than he is done in Washington.
Let's not just focus on AA and BLloyd. I was just throwing them out there as recent examples.
We also let Antonio Pierce walk- MLB was a big weak spot last season.
We let Ryan Clark walk- He and Taylor worked SO well together
We traded away a 2nd round pick to get Rocky who we apparently have no interest in starting
We let Walt Harris walk- he has been pro-bowl caliber for San Fran and our pass protection has fallen off a cliff
David Patten, well, injuries weren't Gibbs fault but it was still a signing that didn't pan out at all.

I know Gibbs has made his share of good moves too, but like I said, I still don't trust the man to build a team. But I think our patience this offseason is a good sign. Floyd Reese needs a job, we need a GM!
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #129
Special Teams
 
JDALY27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 35
Posts: 271
Re: Maske/JLC: Gibbs Hints Redskins Might Trade Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I'm a big Gibbs sycophant. I am. But the fact is, the guy signed off on Archuletta and Lloyd. How'd that work out? Gibbs didn't build his Super Bowl winning teams. Beathard did. I'm not saying he's not a good judge of character/talent, nor am I saying he is mistake prone. But I don't have blind faith in the man either. Joe Gibbs knows how to coach a football team. I think the jury is still out on whether or not he knows how to BUILD a football team.
The fans have the luxury of 20/20 hindsight vision.

Who traded up to aquire Jason Campbell? We all thought to ourselves, what the hell is Joe thinking?

Now we have our Franchise QB. From what I saw last year Campbell is the real deal.

Joe Gibbs is a football GOD and knows a hell of alot more about building a winning team than he gets credit for.
JDALY27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:10 PM   #130
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Maske/JLC: Gibbs Hints Redskins Might Trade Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDALY27 View Post
The fans have the luxury of 20/20 hindsight vision.

Who traded up to aquire Jason Campbell? We all thought to ourselves, what the hell is Joe thinking?

Now we have our Franchise QB. From what I saw last year Campbell is the real deal.

Joe Gibbs is a football GOD and knows a hell of alot more about building a winning team than he gets credit for.
I really liked Campbell when he & Auburn beat my Hokies in 05 & I thought he'd make a great nfl qb, so I was really happy w/the trade to get him. It was criticized, I remember listening to espn radio when the trade was leaked before the draft & Dan Patrick ripped us for the trade. But we knew that Joe wouldn't hurry him in & we would need a qb for the future. We've got one & that shouldn't be underestimated in the least as a lot of teams don't.

So I agree, let's not knock Joe until we know more about the front office decision making. I personally think Joe is starting to exert his influence on the team, after listening to the wrong people last year. Look for him to be more hands on this year & get back to coaching.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:11 PM   #131
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Maske/JLC: Gibbs Hints Redskins Might Trade Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
Paragraph indentations are a wonderful thing my friend. I suggest you look into them.

As far as G-Tripps first long post goes... I really tend to agree with a lot of what you're saying. Granted, your making several assumptions... (That guy pointed to the colts as a retort)... But I think in this style of offense your thinking is on the right track.


Essentially here is what I understood what you were basically saying: In any run based offense where you don't have an MVP at QB, maxamizing your options won't necessarily maximize your success, especially when it comes from neglecting greater needs.
That's essentially what I was saying.

Obviously having Calvin Johnson start across from Moss is better than having Randle El. If Moss and Cooley still get their touches, then our passing game potential should improve, albeit slightly.

What I am worried about (and this is one of the assumptions I made) is that if we were to invest SO MUCH in a guy like Calvin Johnson, how can we expect our coaching staff to still use Cooley and Moss properly? I mean, espicially in our case where the coaching staff makes personel decisions, would we honestly be able to resist the urge to call plays where CJ is the main receiver all the time? Yes, I'm making an assumption about behavior, and anybody that has argued with me knows I would have jumped all over them for making such an assumption--so im being hypocritical in a way, but I feel this is a rare, reasonable assumption. How would our front office justify a move up in the draft plus a neglection of obvious needs and then NOT use Calvin Johnson more than he should be, even at the expense of Cooley and Moss? This is why such a move would be an unmitigated disaster. In essence we would be making three costly mistakes in one:

1) Continuing to piss away draft picks
2) Neglecting obvious defensive needs
3) Potentially decreasing offensive potential depending on how disciplined Al Saunders' playcalling is

This is an example of how the cost of acquisition can compromise decision-making on the field. In today's highly competitive league, that's not something a coach can afford.

Bottom line: trading up for Calvin Johnson would be an unmitigated disaster on so many levels. We would be far better off making the Briggs deal than this.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:53 PM   #132
Special Teams
 
riggoraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: D.C. area
Posts: 179
Re: Maske/JLC: Gibbs Hints Redskins Might Trade Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and avoid all the turmoil, and pain. I'll start my thread at #300. This is an out and out BS attempt at deceptive chicanery by that prankster, Joe2. PURE smoke!
I am not so sure that this is a smoke screen. I think that the Redskins believe they have improved their defense already and will be working on the scoring offense during the draft. If we do not trade up to get CJ or use the #6 pick to draft Okoye, look for a trade down and we will either select Dwayne Bowe or Robert Meacham.
riggoraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #133
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Maske/JLC: Gibbs Hints Redskins Might Trade Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
I really liked Campbell when he & Auburn beat my Hokies in 05 & I thought he'd make a great nfl qb, so I was really happy w/the trade to get him. It was criticized, I remember listening to espn radio when the trade was leaked before the draft & Dan Patrick ripped us for the trade. But we knew that Joe wouldn't hurry him in & we would need a qb for the future. We've got one & that shouldn't be underestimated in the least as a lot of teams don't.

So I agree, let's not knock Joe until we know more about the front office decision making. I personally think Joe is starting to exert his influence on the team, after listening to the wrong people last year. Look for him to be more hands on this year & get back to coaching.
I'm not totally bashing the guy. I'm just trying to be objective. I said in my post that he has made some good moves, but also some pretty awful ones too. Only 1 of Gibbs 3 seasons back have been really productive, and that was only b/c in late '05 we finally decided to commit to the run and went on a late tear. Obviously the man is a great coach, but he has yet to prove he can build a winner personnel-wise. I hope like hell he succeeds. I feel like we are on the right track at this point.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:05 PM   #134
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Maske/JLC: Gibbs Hints Redskins Might Trade Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggoraider View Post
I am not so sure that this is a smoke screen. I think that the Redskins believe they have improved their defense already and will be working on the scoring offense during the draft. If we do not trade up to get CJ or use the #6 pick to draft Okoye, look for a trade down and we will either select Dwayne Bowe or Robert Meacham.
Ummm, what about our D-line? We haven't done diddly-poo to improve it. And it was miserable last year. The first thing that comes to mind was when Tiki Barber absolutely worked us over in our house week 17. He gouged us. Just like everyone did all year. If we draft a WR in the first round it is essentially saying ARE and Lloyd probably were bad moves. I know ARE is a punt returner, but there are only so many footballs to go around. We're going to be run first as it is, Cooley will catch between 60-70 balls most likely, as will Moss, so then we have a 1st rd WR and ARE and Lloyd?? All that money for 3 guys who would at best catch around 25 passes each? Doesn't make sense to me unless we trade ARE or Lloyd, neither of whom would have much trade value right now.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:12 PM   #135
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Maske/JLC: Gibbs Hints Redskins Might Trade Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Ummm, what about our D-line? We haven't done diddly-poo to improve it. And it was miserable last year. The first thing that comes to mind was when Tiki Barber absolutely worked us over in our house week 17. He gouged us. Just like everyone did all year. If we draft a WR in the first round it is essentially saying ARE and Lloyd probably were bad moves. I know ARE is a punt returner, but there are only so many footballs to go around. We're going to be run first as it is, Cooley will catch between 60-70 balls most likely, as will Moss, so then we have a 1st rd WR and ARE and Lloyd?? All that money for 3 guys who would at best catch around 25 passes each? Doesn't make sense to me unless we trade ARE or Lloyd, neither of whom would have much trade value right now.
Thank you. Great post.

Bonus points for getting "diddly poo" in there without breaking stride.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31185 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25