Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #46
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,486
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but I'm wondering if the Skins could be concerned about losing Taylor to free agency when his contract is up so that's why Landry is on their radar.

I really wouldn't hate this pick, but it still would leave the d-line a big question mark.
I'm really hoping that we're planning for the future by this point. We made all that space recently and if we keep value shopping like we have this year, I think we can make it to where we can sign both Cooley AND Taylor when the time comes.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-20-2007, 09:36 AM   #47
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,486
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
The team imploded last year due in large part to the fact that we had major weaknesses on the D-line.

Still, I have to say that the more I hear and see about Landry the less upset I'd be if we wind up taking him. But like Matty said, we'd still have to get help on the front four somewhere -- maybe Kris Jenkins or Ian Scott.

I do like the idea of guys like Terrell Owens, Jason Witten, and Plaxico Burress watching out for their heads going over the middle against a lineup like Taylor and Landry. Assuming Landry is everything people say about him, we would have one of the most feared secondaries in the league at that point.
Again, while I do feel we should address the defensive line, I was just wondering why you think we were effective in 2004 and 2005 with basically the same front four? If you think about it, really the only switch has been at LB. There has been the loss of Pierce, the shift of Marshall and each time the defense has gone down each year with basically the same personnel along the defensive line.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:46 AM   #48
Impact Rookie
 
skins009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 528
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

Having a good front seven is more beneficial than having a good back seven. This is evident by examining the best defense's from last year.

1.Baltimore 2.Jacksonville 3.Oakland 4.Miami 5.Chicago 6.New England
Baltimore has talent at every postion
We all know everything on the Jaguars defense stats with the two big DT up front
Oakland, miami, chicago and New england all have BAD secondaries if you ask me. However, they are able to disguise this with excellent dlines. For the love of god pick Omobi!
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #49
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,278
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
I'm really hoping that we're planning for the future by this point. We made all that space recently and if we keep value shopping like we have this year, I think we can make it to where we can sign both Cooley AND Taylor when the time comes.
I agree but part of planning for the future also includes being realistic about who we may be able to re-sign and who we may not be able to re-sign.

Let's face it, ST is going to be looking for big money, especially considering the rather paltry rookie deal he signed.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:54 AM   #50
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,847
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Again, while I do feel we should address the defensive line, I was just wondering why you think we were effective in 2004 and 2005 with basically the same front four? If you think about it, really the only switch has been at LB. There has been the loss of Pierce, the shift of Marshall and each time the defense has gone down each year with basically the same personnel along the defensive line.
I think the changes in the front seven from 2005 to 2006 IS what hurt us last year. While our pass rush from the front four was not good in 2005, we had a good run stopping line with Griiffen/Salavea at DT and Daniels/Wynn at DE. I still am not convinced that A. Carter is an everydown DE. He is a very small 265 pounds. The one game I attended, @ Texans, I was on the sidelines and Carter was getting pushed off the ball on a consistent basis. He could not hold his ground.
I do not care how many sacks he brings if he gives up ten yard runs several times a game. Our D-linemen have to stop the run first. If they can't they should not be on the field. I do not care how much we overpaid him, if he can't stop the run, get him out.
As much as I hate to admit it, I think we also missed Lavar Arrington or at least a Lavar type LB that could bring the hammer down and be very physical. Oher than LB Washington, we did not have another diffrence maker at LB last year.
Injuries to our other defensive players also played a big role in our bad year in 2006. If everyone is healthy, our talent at d-Line is not terrible to the point of crisis situation. there is a big investment in picking at # 6, lets not reach for need. I am not sure that another one dimensional pass rush end is the answer to all of our problems.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #51
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,486
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

I agree, even though I think that winning will make that cost come down a bit. A lot of winning teams are able to resign their players if they're about to turn the corner for a Super Bowl run. I think we field a winning team the next two years and Taylor resigning is a probability.

Not only that, if we actually begin to emphasize the draft, we'll have plenty of money leftover from not blowing the bank on FAs, we should have a good amount of cap space.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #52
The Starter
 
RedskinPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Camino,Ca
Posts: 1,174
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

There are a few ways we could go in this draft. I like a few D linemen and the idea of trading down only if thier is a cooley type player on the draft board in the 3rd or even 2nd round. Picking Landry I am not against if he is a sure thing. I am getting use to the thought that even with Landry or a D linemen this team is another draft away[for a Super Bowl or deep play-off run] along with free agent signing[in 08] before all the holes will be filled anyway. So with the six pick get a big time player or two if you can trade down while not trading away any of 08 picks!
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:16 AM   #53
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 11,942
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I agree but part of planning for the future also includes being realistic about who we may be able to re-sign and who we may not be able to re-sign.

Let's face it, ST is going to be looking for big money, especially considering the rather paltry rookie deal he signed.
and i say give him the big money i have no problem signing him to a 6 year 35-40 million dollar deal if we gave it to arch why not taylor and colley 6 year 25-30 milliion would be great hey daniel graham got it and so did brandon lloyd
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #54
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Again, while I do feel we should address the defensive line, I was just wondering why you think we were effective in 2004 and 2005 with basically the same front four? If you think about it, really the only switch has been at LB. There has been the loss of Pierce, the shift of Marshall and each time the defense has gone down each year with basically the same personnel along the defensive line.
Very simply, age and injuries caught up with them. When players are nearing the twilight of their careers, they can get old seemingly overnight.

In 2004 and 2005, guys like Griffin, Brandon Noble, and Philip Daniels were experienced veterans who were brought in for the “win now” philosophy. People forget that Joe Salave’a expected to be a back-up. They couldn’t have been looked upon to anchor the line for years to come. All along, the team should have planned for an infusion of youth – – but as we all know, this front office is exactly known for thinking for the future especially on defense.

Last year, father time caught up with them. Now, it looks like we may actually have to ask them to step up for another year to plug up the run.

But just to show that my mind isn’t completely closed, I think a good case has been made for drafting Landry. But they would still have to bring in someone to help out the front four.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #55
The Starter
 
GoSkins!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yorktown, Va
Age: 45
Posts: 1,587
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

If we pick Landry it will immediately free Taylor up to play up in the box (like having an extra LB). That will give teams trouble scheming for the defense. That is exactly the kind of thing that Greg Williams loves. We addressed and drafted DL last year. I don't doubt that Williams wants Landry.

We will know in about a week.
__________________
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. A. Einstien
GoSkins! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:31 AM   #56
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,486
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Very simply, age and injuries caught up with them. When players are nearing the twilight of their careers, they can get old seemingly overnight.

In 2004 and 2005, guys like Griffin, Brandon Noble, and Philip Daniels were experienced veterans who were brought in for the “win now” philosophy. People forget that Joe Salave’a expected to be a back-up. They couldn’t have been looked upon to anchor the line for years to come. All along, the team should have planned for an infusion of youth – – but as we all know, this front office is exactly known for thinking for the future especially on defense.

Last year, father time caught up with them. Now, it looks like we may actually have to ask them to step up for another year to plug up the run.

But just to show that my mind isn’t completely closed, I think a good case has been made for drafting Landry. But they would still have to bring in someone to help out the front four.
While I definitely see your point that they're another year older and another year slower, reason just refuses to let me believe their play would decline THAT part in just one season. Unless there is a significant injury, I just feel like it's more of a gradual decline and not a total drop off. Again, let me reiterate by saying that Okoye is still my top choice. I just think with our middle held down by Fletcher this year, our run defense (even if we're stuck with the same guys in the middle) will be much improved.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #57
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,278
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

I really think our poor LB and corner play had a big part to do with the run D's collapse last year.

Marshall was dinged with his shoulder and never got on track, Holdman sucked period, and Washington was also dinged up. Same issues with the secondary, poor play and injuries.

GW's defense is heavily predicated on the LBs and CBs providing strong run support and neither unit was very productive last year.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #58
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
How well, minus one year, has our defense played with virtually no defensive line? Pretty well. Greg Williams depends on his corners to allow other players to attack the quarterback. While I'm not opposed to defensive linemen, I don't think we're handcuffed to any. I will have a huge grin on my face come draft day the second I hear Landry or Okoye called. I think, in my eyes, Landry has a slight edge.
Daseal, this isn't directed at you - so take no offense.

But I'm sick and tired of hearing how Greg Williams' defense depends so much on his corners or the defense can't do this or that. This guy is supposed to be one of the great defensive minds in the game today. To suggest that everything crumbles if the corners don't play within the scheme is beyond me. I don't buy it. It might be a misguided opinion, but I don't buy it.

I understand football, okay. But....what about making adjustments? If he needs every little component in place, and every player healthy, and every player on his 'A' game to be successful, then he's not the coach everyone pretends he is; That goes for any coach in any sport for that matter!

The great ones get it done consistently with all types of talent. I think Gregg Williams is perhaps a good defensive coach, but by no means great.

I remember back in the day Richie Pettibon won with a lot of different players. By many standards, he did it with average to good talent.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:38 AM   #59
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 11,942
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Very simply, age and injuries caught up with them. When players are nearing the twilight of their careers, they can get old seemingly overnight.

In 2004 and 2005, guys like Griffin, Brandon Noble, and Philip Daniels were experienced veterans who were brought in for the “win now” philosophy. People forget that Joe Salave’a expected to be a back-up. They couldn’t have been looked upon to anchor the line for years to come. All along, the team should have planned for an infusion of youth – – but as we all know, this front office is exactly known for thinking for the future especially on defense.

Last year, father time caught up with them. Now, it looks like we may actually have to ask them to step up for another year to plug up the run.

But just to show that my mind isn’t completely closed, I think a good case has been made for drafting Landry. But they would still have to bring in someone to help out the front four.

this i how i feel right now the redskins will take landry with pick number 6 the guy is a monster ran a 4.35 can hit hard as hell great coverage he is a ballhawk perfect compliment to taylor and then witgh the fifth round pick ifeel they will take CJ Ah Oyu from oklahoma at de if anyone watched this guy in colege he could really be a sleeper pick

could someone please post up his scouting report and maybe dan bauzin from central michigan he can play both inside and outside he could be the next mark anderson who the bears got in the 5th round and produced 12 sacks we missed out on him and drafted anthony montgomery what the hell was that
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #60
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,486
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

Man, like we always say, hindsight is 20/20. Who REALLY would have thought Anderson would turn out like that?
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34712 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25