Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #91
Impact Rookie
 
skins009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 528
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by holcknowsbest View Post
couple things here,

1-drafting on need gets you a average at best corner in carlos rogers when you could have had a shawne merriman. drafting on talent gives you a jason campbell, remember we were "set" at qb with brunell and ramsey. you should never draft on need, you draft on talent.

2-mel kiper is an idiot if he thinks landrys pass coverage is a weakness, this guy has played every postion in the secondary and at a high level in the effing sec. the recievers are not exactly bad in the sec.

3-someone mentioned all the top defense had great front sevens and not great back sevens. well first off that is a lie because if you think that new englands back seven is not better then thier front seven, you dont watch football. baltimore has one of the best secondaries in the league, and remember back seven includes roughly half of the front seven. oaklands defensive line looks much like ours does. i would say the only defenses on there that your argument may hold true is chicago and miami but i think at best your evidence suggests that it is a stalemate btw front sevens and back sevens.

4- based on what will be available at 6, we should take either landry or okoye, in that order. they are saying landry maybe gone at 4 to tampa. but if landry is there he is a cant miss prospect and even for all your haters who want to draft on need, think of this real good and tell me i am not right...........who plays safety next year for us right now! people are saying peirson prelou or PP. are you effing kidding me, when has that guy been a starter in the nfl for one and two this guy blew his knee out last year, so ask edgerian james if he was 100 percent the year after his knee, or lavar for that matter....the other hot thing is moving sean springs to safety right! so you want smoot and rogers at corner....both of whom are number two corners at best in this league. rogers is a busted draft pick anyone taken 9 should be a shut down corner and he never will be. smoot has to reprove his worth. so you want to take our best corner back that we have on the roster and move him to safety???? outragous...sounds like you are thinking like the front office you critic so much. you dont take your best corner and put him at safety you just dont do that.....so that will help you figure out who we should take at number 6.....LARON LANDRY
New Englands secondary is better than their D-line? THat might be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. NE might have the best dline in the league. Seymour when health might be the best d-linemen in the league, Ty Watten 7.5 sacks and 84 tackles, Jarvis Green 7.5 sacks, Rossevelt Colvin 8.5 sacks and then there's Vince Worfolk who is a monster at Nose tackle. New Englands second was injuried all season yet they didn't have a drop off in performance because they are protected by their d-line. The d-line is by far the most impact position on the defensive side of the ball. And your right about the C Rogers of S Merriman was dumb. But its night like we didn't need a pass rusher that year either. We've needed a pass rusher for a decade now. Its just our sorry as personnel department.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #92
Camp Scrub
 
beatdallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 33
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

I like Landry also; not really impressed with any of the d-lineman in this years draft.

Need a compliment to Taylor so that he can play closer to the line of scrimmage and make plays without worrying about getting torched deep.
beatdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:22 PM   #93
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,091
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

just another reason to draft landry ESPN.com - NFL/DRAFT07 - Pasquarelli: Teams struggle to find right inside man
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:31 AM   #94
Pro Bowl
 
BigSKINBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 26
Posts: 5,636
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

i'm really scared to pick a d-lineman with our pick because the chance they bust are so high. I wish we could trade down and still pick up landry but if we don't take him the vikings or atlanta probably will.
I would like to think that he would be able to help out on run support if he'd be on our team because all indications show that he is good at analyzing the play and helping out against the run. I wish he was just a bit bulkier. The things about Landry that i love though is that he is a sideline to sideline player and he is a smart player. His sophomore year was sick with 90+ tackles, 4 ints, 3 sacks, and 5 tackles for losses. He has great potential and with taylor he will be able to maximize it. To have 3 starters in the secondary who are all top 10 picks in the past 4 years would be awesome. Even springs is a top 5 pick.

Overall, there are so many things that we can do with our pick and this is something that I would not be against. If we pick him i won't be mad.
__________________
"For there is nothing half so glorious
As to see our team victorious"



BSB
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #95
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by holcknowsbest View Post
4- based on what will be available at 6, we should take either landry or okoye, in that order. they are saying landry maybe gone at 4 to tampa. but if landry is there he is a cant miss prospect and even for all your haters who want to draft on need, think of this real good and tell me i am not right...........who plays safety next year for us right now! people are saying peirson prelou or PP. are you effing kidding me, when has that guy been a starter in the nfl for one and two this guy blew his knee out last year, so ask edgerian james if he was 100 percent the year after his knee, or lavar for that matter....the other hot thing is moving sean springs to safety right! so you want smoot and rogers at corner....both of whom are number two corners at best in this league. rogers is a busted draft pick anyone taken 9 should be a shut down corner and he never will be. smoot has to reprove his worth. so you want to take our best corner back that we have on the roster and move him to safety???? outragous...sounds like you are thinking like the front office you critic so much. you dont take your best corner and put him at safety you just dont do that.....so that will help you figure out who we should take at number 6.....LARON LANDRY
Because rookie, inexperienced, green as grass, never played a snap before Landry would be sooooo much better than Prioleau?

If you are drafting to fill an immedate need, you're insane. Draft prospects don't even start to show you any seblance of return until their second or third seasons. If you can sqeeze replacement level play out of Landry as a rookie, that's an added bonus, but any first year guy you put back in the secondary to disect routes and make reads is going to get burned. Think Danieal Manning, Super Bowl.

If we had two first round safeties, we would clog up one of the most fungible positions on the field with players we can't take off the field. So you know what would happen if Reed Doughty turned out to be a gem at safety (or anyone else for that matter)? He walks and becomes a stud somewhere else. We continue to get gashed by the run and struggle to consistenly rush the passer.

I'm glad you aren't making the final call.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #96
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSKINBauer View Post
i'm really scared to pick a d-lineman with our pick because the chance they bust are so high. I wish we could trade down and still pick up landry but if we don't take him the vikings or atlanta probably will.
I would like to think that he would be able to help out on run support if he'd be on our team because all indications show that he is good at analyzing the play and helping out against the run. I wish he was just a bit bulkier. The things about Landry that i love though is that he is a sideline to sideline player and he is a smart player. His sophomore year was sick with 90+ tackles, 4 ints, 3 sacks, and 5 tackles for losses. He has great potential and with taylor he will be able to maximize it. To have 3 starters in the secondary who are all top 10 picks in the past 4 years would be awesome. Even springs is a top 5 pick.

Overall, there are so many things that we can do with our pick and this is something that I would not be against. If we pick him i won't be mad.
Well the key is to just pick the guy with the biggest body of work in college (Adams, Carriker, or Okoye), and just hope for the best. If we take a guy like Anderson, we could be in trouble. Anderson could project anywhere from dominant to complete bust because of his small body of work in college, and its almost an equal spread of probability.

Just because DL tend to bust because its harder to project them to the NFL, doesn't mean that we can't do some stuff to make sure we get the right guy.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #97
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,488
Re: My final argument for Drafting LaRon Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins009 View Post
New Englands secondary is better than their D-line? THat might be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. NE might have the best dline in the league. Seymour when health might be the best d-linemen in the league, Ty Watten 7.5 sacks and 84 tackles, Jarvis Green 7.5 sacks, Rossevelt Colvin 8.5 sacks and then there's Vince Worfolk who is a monster at Nose tackle. New Englands second was injuried all season yet they didn't have a drop off in performance because they are protected by their d-line. The d-line is by far the most impact position on the defensive side of the ball. And your right about the C Rogers of S Merriman was dumb. But its night like we didn't need a pass rusher that year either. We've needed a pass rusher for a decade now. Its just our sorry as personnel department.
I can't say whether or not I agree with this. How many of these are coverage sacks? It's a very tough call.

I started out as a safety (before switching to wr) my freshman year in college, and all we were shown was clips of the patriots secondary over and over. They were ridiculous.

Scheme wise especially, they ran such a fierce secondary. It was really fun to watch. Granted, that was in 05... I still think it's too tough to call.
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29888 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25