Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


The Official 2007 Draft Discussion Thread

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #346
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: The Official 2007 Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Nah I think Palmer will end up on the practice squad. Either that or Todd Collins will get released.

I'm kinda disappointed we didn't take an offensive guard either. It's not they couldn't bring in one guy to compete since we don't have a clear cut starter there.
How many times has a QB come out of the practice squad to be an effective QB?
I don't think Todd Collins is worth a squirt of piss, so I could care less if he is dropped to make room for Palmer.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #347
Karma Chameleon
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 3,098
Re: The Official 2007 Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Nah I think Palmer will end up on the practice squad. Either that or Todd Collins will get released.

I'm kinda disappointed we didn't take an offensive guard either. It's not they couldn't bring in one guy to compete since we don't have a clear cut starter there.
I'm thinking the same thing about the guards. You can get a lineman who can play late in the draft. Guess the Skins didn't think so.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:26 PM   #348
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: The Official 2007 Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSkins! View Post
No. Releasing Collins saves us 1.2 million. If this guy can prove worthy of a 3rd round QB option, we will free up some money for the DL. It seems clear that the FO has a plan for getting a free agent, someone from another team, or post June 1 cut to fill that void.
Sounds good to me, cause we need it.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #349
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: The Official 2007 Draft Discussion Thread

Hey...we actually got our blocking TE!

Blind squirrel just found a nut.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #350
Camp Scrub
 
DieHardSince76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: VA
Age: 60
Posts: 23
Re: The Official 2007 Draft Discussion Thread

We didn't draft one DL. Say what? Now we have to either trade away more picks for some broken-down underachiever or hope that someone cuts a big-salary, probably disgruntled, lineman or two in June. What brilliant management. Jack Kent Cooke, why did you die? And why didn't you leave the team to John? Why?
DieHardSince76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:41 PM   #351
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: The Official 2007 Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardSince76 View Post
We didn't draft one DL. Say what? Now we have to either trade away more picks for some broken-down underachiever or hope that someone cuts a big-salary, probably disgruntled, lineman or two in June. What brilliant management. Jack Kent Cooke, why did you die? And why didn't you leave the team to John? Why?
I have been yelling and screaming DL, DL!!!! But with the exception of DL, we are looking good across the board IMO. Get one exceptional DE after June 1st cuts, and we could be sitting pretty.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:42 PM   #352
The Starter
 
drew54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: IOWA
Age: 32
Posts: 1,290
Re: The Official 2007 Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardSince76 View Post
And why didn't you leave the team to John? Why?
My thoughts exactly.
__________________
No pressure, no diamonds.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #353
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: The Official 2007 Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I have been yelling and screaming DL, DL!!!! But with the exception of DL, we are looking good across the board IMO. Get one exceptional DE after June 1st cuts, and we could be sitting pretty.
It's going to be a long defensive rebuilding process, but if we use 2 day 1 picks on the DL next year, we could have a semblance of a competant defense by 2009.

We are strong in the back 7, so I remain hopeful that Greg Williams can pull some strings and get this defense fixed on a temporary basis. He can't account for the lack of talent, but if he keeps us unpredictable, we just might luck in to a top 20 defensive finish this year. If we can improve our short yardage running game, that might be good enough for a playoff birth.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:48 PM   #354
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: The Official 2007 Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
It's going to be a long defensive rebuilding process, but if we use 2 day 1 picks on the DL next year, we could have a semblance of a competant defense by 2009.

We are strong in the back 7, so I remain hopeful that Greg Williams can pull some strings and get this defense fixed on a temporary basis. He can't account for the lack of talent, but if he keeps us unpredictable, we just might luck in to a top 20 defensive finish this year. If we can improve our short yardage running game, that might be good enough for a playoff birth.
I think you're being a little harsh on the defense. Our secondary was the main issue last year, and this year we are primed to have one of the best secondaries. Our LB's are better than last year, and if (I know that's a big IF) we pick up a GOOD DE after June 1st, there should be no reason AT ALL that we don't see a top 10 defense.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:53 PM   #355
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: The Official 2007 Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
It's going to be a long defensive rebuilding process, but if we use 2 day 1 picks on the DL next year, we could have a semblance of a competant defense by 2009.

We are strong in the back 7, so I remain hopeful that Greg Williams can pull some strings and get this defense fixed on a temporary basis. He can't account for the lack of talent, but if he keeps us unpredictable, we just might luck in to a top 20 defensive finish this year. If we can improve our short yardage running game, that might be good enough for a playoff birth.

Why is it going to be a long process? GW turned it around in one year in 2004. Williams is arguably the best defensive coordinator in the league. Last year was an exception. If they pick up one good d lineman and Griffin and Springs stay healthy we are back in the top 5.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:55 PM   #356
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: The Official 2007 Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I think you're being a little harsh on the defense. Our secondary was the main issue last year, and this year we are primed to have one of the best secondaries. Our LB's are better than last year, and if (I know that's a big IF) we pick up a GOOD DE after June 1st, there should be no reason AT ALL that we don't see a top 10 defense.
The lack of a pass rush from the line allowed the secondary to be picked apart. The secondary is in good shape.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #357
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: The Official 2007 Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim21Reaper View Post
The lack of a pass rush from the line allowed the secondary to be picked apart. The secondary is in good shape.
So you are agreeing with me then?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #358
Special Teams
 
TrustinGibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wilmington, NC
Age: 50
Posts: 104
Re: The Official 2007 Draft Discussion Thread

Drafting Palmer is a Joe Gibbs/Beatherd kinda move. The Skin's have taken QB's later in the draft and coached them up for a couple of years before they ever hit the field. It has worked out well in the past...Mark Rypien comes to mind.
TrustinGibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:09 PM   #359
Impact Rookie
 
81forHOF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mt Holly Springs, PA
Age: 42
Posts: 551
Re: The Official 2007 Draft Discussion Thread

Collins might find his way onto our coaching staff.
__________________
81 is where he belongs!
81forHOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:09 PM   #360
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: The Official 2007 Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustinGibbs View Post
Drafting Palmer is a Joe Gibbs/Beatherd kinda move. The Skin's have taken QB's later in the draft and coached them up for a couple of years before they ever hit the field. It has worked out well in the past...Mark Rypien comes to mind.
While Rypien did benefit from this, most do not...remember Cary Conklin, or Chris Hakel, or Gus Frerotte, or Todd Husak, or Sage Rosenfels, or Gilbran Hamdan???? These were all QB's drafted since 1990 by us after the 1st or 2nd round for the soul purpose of trying to "develope" them. None have worked out. So while Palmer could be the next Rypien (I hope he's better), I am wagering he's the next Todd Husak.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30598 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25