Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


How I would approach the draft

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #16
Impact Rookie
 
Drift Reality's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 506
Re: How I would approach the draft

Based on some other threads and resources online I decided to have some fun and offer a projection.

I realize how ridiculous these are but as I said, just wanted to have some fun.

Round 1 - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (CB)
Round 2 - Chris Ellis (DE)
Round 3 - Roy Sheuning (G)
Round 3 - Dre Moore (DT)
Round 5 - Beau Bell (LB)
Round 6 - Cody Wallace (C/G)
Round 7 - Owen Schmitt (FB)
Drift Reality is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #17
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: How I would approach the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Reality View Post
Based on some other threads and resources online I decided to have some fun and offer a projection.

I realize how ridiculous these are but as I said, just wanted to have some fun.

Round 1 - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (CB)
Round 2 - Chris Ellis (DE)
Round 3 - Roy Sheuning (G)
Round 3 - Dre Moore (DT)
Round 5 - Beau Bell (LB)
Round 6 - Cody Wallace (C/G)
Round 7 - Owen Schmitt (FB)
i'd be down with that. schmitt won't make it to the 7th though (and we'll probably pick 3 times in the 7th, #21, #33ish and another even later).
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #18
Special Teams
 
SkinsFanSince91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 368
Re: How I would approach the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Reality View Post
I know there are a lot of mock drafts out there, as well as debate about who we should pick at certain points in the draft. I'd like to just offer my two cents on the draft by doing a positional analysis of the Redskins and attempting to identify their primary needs, and then follow this up by projecting what positions they should fill at different points in the draft:

Offense

Quarterback

I think it is clear that the Redskins are comfortable with what they have at this position. They have a guy who projects to be the starting quarterback for the next five-six years, and a guy who projects to be the second-string quarterback for the next three years or so. They have a number of young guys - i.e. Sam Hollenbach who can probably compete for that third spot.

Guard

The Redskins have a solid veteran line but age has to be a growing concern at every position - particularly at right guard where Pete Kendall is nearing the end of his career (although still playing at a very high level). The Redskins are fortunate because they don't need someone who can come in and start right away but they need to find an interior lineman who can spend a year growing before filling Kendall's slot at right guard.

Tackle

I believe the Redskins like what they see out of Heyer, but they should probably think about finding another tackle in the middle rounds who has potential to grow within the system over the next two years. Samuels is a lock for the next few years but I think Jansen is a bit of a question mark and although Heyer might be the guy, I don't think he is really a lock for being the long term solution there.

Receivers

Clearly, the Redskins like what they see in Moss and Randle-El. When healthy, Moss certainly has the potential to be a #1 and Randle-El is tailor-made to play the slot. It is no surprise to anyone that the Redskins have a substantial need to find another split-end with some size to play alongside their current receivers. Unfortunately, spending high draft picks on receivers is about as hit-or-miss as it gets. The Skins might be better off signing a young veteran like a DJ Hackett who can come in and fill this position.

Running Backs

Running back is one position where the Redskins are well fortified with two young runners in their primes who stay relatively healthy. Their fullback is a bulldozer who has experienced some health issues last year and is certainly starting to get up there in years. I would think about using a second-day pick on a future fullback if one is available. Fullbacks aren't really difficult to find though so an UFA might be another route to developing depth and grooming a future starter at this position.

Tight End

The Redskins have a top-flight Tight End who is a premier receiver and an improving blocker at the prime of his career. Yoder is a solid back-up so here is another position where I don't see the Redskins really focused on anytime soon.

Defense

Defensives Tackle

Defensive line is certainly an interesting unit for the Skins. Two years ago they took two second-day guys and both of them look like they have shots to be solid players in this league. Of the two, Montgomery probably has more long-term potential to offer some pass rush ability in addition to being a solid run-stopper. Griffin still has some gas left in the tank although he is clearly not the same player he was two years ago. A DT with some pass-rushing ability is a position the Redskins have been vocal about wanting to acquire and if there is a guy available in the mid-rounds who can fill this position I think the Redskins could go after him.

Defensive End

At End, the Carter acquisition seemed to pay dividends last year as he ended up with double-digit sacks and held up (for the most part) against the run. He is a solid starter on the right side. On the left side, Phillip Daniels is definitely on the tail end of his career and can't be looked at as a viable three-down starter any longer. Fortunately, the Skins have a solid third-down guy (Chris Wilson) and another solid 1st and 2nd down guy (Demetric Evans) who can carry the load at the position. If the Redskins have an opportunity with their 1st or 2nd round pick to grab a guy who can be a longterm three down player at this position however, I think they should go for it.

Linebackers

Linebacker is an intriguing unit for the Skins because they might be the most talented at this position and also the most brittle. Fletcher (33 years old) and Washington (31) are two top-flight linebackers who are definitely maturing. Fletcher played like a maniac last year but he is definitely a guy whose production could decline in the next two years. At the other outside backer spot, the Redskins have invested a lot in Rocky McIntosh, who showed that he could be a top-flight linebacker before sustaining a serious knee injury last year. He is supposed to be ready for the beginning of the season but the severity of the injury certainly is something that makes him worth monitoring. Other than those three, there isn't much aside from HB Blades, who looks as though he might have some long-term potential. Linebacker is one position the Redskins need to consider fortifying through the draft - possibly with their third or fifth round picks.

Cornerback

The Redskins have spent a lot of time and effort building this position up over the years and haven't ever seemed to get comfortable there. Springs is a true shutdown corner in the twilight of his career. Smoot is a viable second-corner who can play man or in a zone. Rogers is still a question mark in my mind - a guy they invested a high pick in who never turned into 'the guy'. If you combined Smoot's attitude with Roger's athleticism and body, you would probably have a true shutdown corner but both have their shortcomings (in addition to Roger's questionable knee). With Springs on the way out, if a true shutdown guy is available with that #1 (Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie), I think the Skins should pounce on him.

Safety

One position the Redskins could have been dominant at for years to come if not for the untimely death of the late, great Sean Taylor...Reed Doughty however stepped in admirably and showed he could play in this league. In addition, Landry showed that he could not only play but be a force. I actually like the way this tandem plays together and think they could hold down the secondary for years to come. The Skins might want to build depth here but I don't think they need to go crazy at this position.

So, overall here are the needs that the Redskins have based on my analysis and my perspective on how best to address:
  • Shutdown corner - 1st or 2nd round pick.
  • Split end - FA
  • Linebacker - 3rd, 5th or 6th round pick.
  • Defensive End - 1st or 2nd round pick.
  • Pass-rushing DT - 3rd or 5th round pick.
  • Fullback - 6th or 7th round pick.
  • Guard - 3rd or 5th round pick.
  • Tackle - 5th or 6th round pick.

If the Redskins do happen to pick up a compensation 3rd round pick, then I think they should approach the draft as follows:

Round 1 - DE or CB
Round 2 - DE or CB
Round 3 - G, LB or DT
Round 3 - G, LB or DT
Round 5 - G, LB, T or DT
Round 6 - G, LB, T or FB
Round 7 - G, LB or FB
This is agreat post, but although you have WR listed as a need, that need is not addressed in your draft order.

Even with the extra picks.

Whats up with that?
__________________
Without Struggle, there is no progress!

Jason Campbell is our guy! Lets RIde!!!

HAIL TO THE SKINS!!!
SkinsFanSince91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:43 PM   #19
Impact Rookie
 
Drift Reality's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 506
Re: How I would approach the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanSince91 View Post
This is agreat post, but although you have WR listed as a need, that need is not addressed in your draft order.

Even with the extra picks.

Whats up with that?
Thanks...I was acting under the assumption that they were going to go out and sign a free agent, which is why I didn't list a receiver in the scheme.

I have a sneaking suspicion they are going to sign Hackett.
Drift Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #20
Special Teams
 
SkinsFanSince91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 368
Re: How I would approach the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Reality View Post
Thanks...I was acting under the assumption that they were going to go out and sign a free agent, which is why I didn't list a receiver in the scheme.

I have a sneaking suspicion they are going to sign Hackett.
But even if they got Hackett, would you be completely satisfied? Would you be satisfied with a player that has had injury problems and sucks on Madden?

lol

I need someone to hold hope onto as a WR to be "raised" under the new WCO.

Hackett would be a fine addition, but he won't be the answer in the long term.

First Day WR's

1st - James Hardy, Indiana; Limas Sweed, Texas; Malcolm Kelly, OK

2nd - Jordy Nelson, KSU; Keenan Burton, UK; Andre Caldwell, UF; Earl Bennett, Vandy

My Sleeper: Jerome Simpson, Coastal Carolina

Focker oUt

Jordy 4 President!!
__________________
Without Struggle, there is no progress!

Jason Campbell is our guy! Lets RIde!!!

HAIL TO THE SKINS!!!
SkinsFanSince91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #21
Special Teams
 
J. Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: off the grid
Posts: 192
Re: How I would approach the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
You don't think we need to worry about CB? I mean I'm pretty sure you are not thinking about relying on Torrence? Even though he's still improving but he's best as #4 CB not #3..
i'd like to address almost every position. at least for depth. but we don't have that many picks!

basically, i think there are far more pressing needs to address this draft. i think that at corner, we have springs and smoot to begin the season as starters. carlos, hopefully, won't be any later than week 4. and we have 2 good, young prospects in torrence and byron westbrook.

i think if we can improve our pass rush, we'll be just fine at corner until rogers returns. and when he does, we'll be in good shape. maybe we should bring in a vet (ty law, for example) as an upgrade over david macklin. other than that, leave it til next year!
J. Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #22
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: How I would approach the draft

yes 91, we need to draft a WR for madden. i'm sure that's #1 on the skins offseason list of concerns
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #23
Special Teams
 
SkinsFanSince91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 368
Re: How I would approach the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
yes 91, we need to draft a WR for madden. i'm sure that's #1 on the skins offseason list of concerns
lol....who do u think would be the best rookie WR for us to have on Madden?

I'd go with Hardy or Sweed. Hardy before Sweed though.

Tall, can jump high, and have enough speed to cause problems.
__________________
Without Struggle, there is no progress!

Jason Campbell is our guy! Lets RIde!!!

HAIL TO THE SKINS!!!
SkinsFanSince91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #24
Impact Rookie
 
Drift Reality's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 506
Re: How I would approach the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Spanky View Post
i'd like to address almost every position. at least for depth. but we don't have that many picks!

basically, i think there are far more pressing needs to address this draft. i think that at corner, we have springs and smoot to begin the season as starters. carlos, hopefully, won't be any later than week 4. and we have 2 good, young prospects in torrence and byron westbrook.

i think if we can improve our pass rush, we'll be just fine at corner until rogers returns. and when he does, we'll be in good shape. maybe we should bring in a vet (ty law, for example) as an upgrade over david macklin. other than that, leave it til next year!
Improving the pass rush will definitely mitigate concerns at cornerback. I think the Skins should take the best player with that 1st pick but if that guy happens to be a cornerback I think they need to pull the trigger.

The issue with corners is that most take a year or two to develop (I guess you could say the same thing about most positions). I disagree that Torrence or Westbrook are legitimate candidates to start at any point in their careers and my perspective is that once Springs retires, we are really left without a top-flight corner.
Drift Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #25
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: How I would approach the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanSince91 View Post
lol....who do u think would be the best rookie WR for us to have on Madden?

I'd go with Hardy or Sweed. Hardy before Sweed though.

Tall, can jump high, and have enough speed to cause problems.
kelly or thomas will be best. hardy is tall, but he'll only be a 90 speed (max), whereas kelly might be a 94. a late rounder like schilens might be even better (size/speed), but he'd need work on awr/cth.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #26
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: How I would approach the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanSince91 View Post
Tall, can jump high, and have enough speed to cause problems.
Not relevant in many ways to NFL football?

Jumping is for track and field people.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #27
Special Teams
 
schndr_tdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 104
Re: How I would approach the draft

I agree with your picks.But,my take on drafting is you take the best EVALUATED pick there.If it hapens to be what you need super.If not you have quality at that pos.(tradind material).I am not saying draft 3 players at the same pos.I am saying if you need DB's and a safety is the best talent,you take the best.If you need G's and the best available is a T.,you get my point.
schndr_tdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #28
The Starter
 
Redskin Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,488
Re: How I would approach the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Reality View Post
I know there are a lot of mock drafts out there, as well as debate about who we should pick at certain points in the draft. I'd like to just offer my two cents on the draft by doing a positional analysis of the Redskins and attempting to identify their primary needs, and then follow this up by projecting what positions they should fill at different points in the draft:

Offense

Quarterback

I think it is clear that the Redskins are comfortable with what they have at this position. They have a guy who projects to be the starting quarterback for the next five-six years, and a guy who projects to be the second-string quarterback for the next three years or so. They have a number of young guys - i.e. Sam Hollenbach who can probably compete for that third spot.

Guard

The Redskins have a solid veteran line but age has to be a growing concern at every position - particularly at right guard where Pete Kendall is nearing the end of his career (although still playing at a very high level). The Redskins are fortunate because they don't need someone who can come in and start right away but they need to find an interior lineman who can spend a year growing before filling Kendall's slot at right guard.

Tackle

I believe the Redskins like what they see out of Heyer, but they should probably think about finding another tackle in the middle rounds who has potential to grow within the system over the next two years. Samuels is a lock for the next few years but I think Jansen is a bit of a question mark and although Heyer might be the guy, I don't think he is really a lock for being the long term solution there.

Receivers

Clearly, the Redskins like what they see in Moss and Randle-El. When healthy, Moss certainly has the potential to be a #1 and Randle-El is tailor-made to play the slot. It is no surprise to anyone that the Redskins have a substantial need to find another split-end with some size to play alongside their current receivers. Unfortunately, spending high draft picks on receivers is about as hit-or-miss as it gets. The Skins might be better off signing a young veteran like a DJ Hackett who can come in and fill this position.

Running Backs

Running back is one position where the Redskins are well fortified with two young runners in their primes who stay relatively healthy. Their fullback is a bulldozer who has experienced some health issues last year and is certainly starting to get up there in years. I would think about using a second-day pick on a future fullback if one is available. Fullbacks aren't really difficult to find though so an UFA might be another route to developing depth and grooming a future starter at this position.

Tight End

The Redskins have a top-flight Tight End who is a premier receiver and an improving blocker at the prime of his career. Yoder is a solid back-up so here is another position where I don't see the Redskins really focused on anytime soon.

Defense

Defensives Tackle

Defensive line is certainly an interesting unit for the Skins. Two years ago they took two second-day guys and both of them look like they have shots to be solid players in this league. Of the two, Montgomery probably has more long-term potential to offer some pass rush ability in addition to being a solid run-stopper. Griffin still has some gas left in the tank although he is clearly not the same player he was two years ago. A DT with some pass-rushing ability is a position the Redskins have been vocal about wanting to acquire and if there is a guy available in the mid-rounds who can fill this position I think the Redskins could go after him.

Defensive End

At End, the Carter acquisition seemed to pay dividends last year as he ended up with double-digit sacks and held up (for the most part) against the run. He is a solid starter on the right side. On the left side, Phillip Daniels is definitely on the tail end of his career and can't be looked at as a viable three-down starter any longer. Fortunately, the Skins have a solid third-down guy (Chris Wilson) and another solid 1st and 2nd down guy (Demetric Evans) who can carry the load at the position. If the Redskins have an opportunity with their 1st or 2nd round pick to grab a guy who can be a longterm three down player at this position however, I think they should go for it.

Linebackers

Linebacker is an intriguing unit for the Skins because they might be the most talented at this position and also the most brittle. Fletcher (33 years old) and Washington (31) are two top-flight linebackers who are definitely maturing. Fletcher played like a maniac last year but he is definitely a guy whose production could decline in the next two years. At the other outside backer spot, the Redskins have invested a lot in Rocky McIntosh, who showed that he could be a top-flight linebacker before sustaining a serious knee injury last year. He is supposed to be ready for the beginning of the season but the severity of the injury certainly is something that makes him worth monitoring. Other than those three, there isn't much aside from HB Blades, who looks as though he might have some long-term potential. Linebacker is one position the Redskins need to consider fortifying through the draft - possibly with their third or fifth round picks.

Cornerback

The Redskins have spent a lot of time and effort building this position up over the years and haven't ever seemed to get comfortable there. Springs is a true shutdown corner in the twilight of his career. Smoot is a viable second-corner who can play man or in a zone. Rogers is still a question mark in my mind - a guy they invested a high pick in who never turned into 'the guy'. If you combined Smoot's attitude with Roger's athleticism and body, you would probably have a true shutdown corner but both have their shortcomings (in addition to Roger's questionable knee). With Springs on the way out, if a true shutdown guy is available with that #1 (Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie), I think the Skins should pounce on him.

Safety

One position the Redskins could have been dominant at for years to come if not for the untimely death of the late, great Sean Taylor...Reed Doughty however stepped in admirably and showed he could play in this league. In addition, Landry showed that he could not only play but be a force. I actually like the way this tandem plays together and think they could hold down the secondary for years to come. The Skins might want to build depth here but I don't think they need to go crazy at this position.

So, overall here are the needs that the Redskins have based on my analysis and my perspective on how best to address:
  • Shutdown corner - 1st or 2nd round pick.
  • Split end - FA
  • Linebacker - 3rd, 5th or 6th round pick.
  • Defensive End - 1st or 2nd round pick.
  • Pass-rushing DT - 3rd or 5th round pick.
  • Fullback - 6th or 7th round pick.
  • Guard - 3rd or 5th round pick.
  • Tackle - 5th or 6th round pick.

If the Redskins do happen to pick up a compensation 3rd round pick, then I think they should approach the draft as follows:

Round 1 - DE or CB
Round 2 - DE or CB
Round 3 - G, LB or DT
Round 3 - G, LB or DT
Round 5 - G, LB, T or DT
Round 6 - G, LB, T or FB
Round 7 - G, LB or FB
Good post but don't we have another 7th round pick from the Broncos for Warrick Holdman?
__________________
WIN, LOSE OR DRAW I'M A DIE-HARD REDSKIN FAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #29
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: How I would approach the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Warrior View Post
Good post but don't we have another 7th round pick from the Broncos for Warrick Holdman?
Warrick Holdman was a free agent who was signed by the Broncos. We may, however, receive 7th round compensation for him in way of a compensatory pick. Hard to say for sure though.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #30
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: How I would approach the draft

I am going to approach the draft with a remote control in one hand and a Corona in the other. I am going to cheer for whoever we pick up and boo at whoever the rest of the NFC East picks up.

When the draft is over I am going to come back to this site and read all of the posts that talk about how all of a sudden we are superbowl contenders. Then I am going to read the ones that talk about why in the hell did we draft that guy. I will throw my own 2 cents in at that point. Then its just a matter of playing the waiting game.

I hate the offseason.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.40377 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25