Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Using a high pick on QB.

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #31
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Using a high pick on QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor View Post
I' all for it because I do not believe that Campbell is the right fit for our offense but I could be wrong. I think Campbell is very talented just not for what are about to do on offense.

This system is similar if not identical to the system he played in his last year at Auburn. I read it in an article recently, but hell, I have read alot of stuff recently. If I can come across the link again I will post it for you.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #32
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,685
Re: Using a high pick on QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Based on what exactly?
Based on a lot of the same stuff I noticed with Gibbs & Ramsey. Zorn & Co. have talked him up a good bit and stressed that he is the starting QB. IMO, if they gotta stress that they are either trying to convince themselves or us. We wont know for sure until they start playing but this is JC's last chance, if he doesnt do it now he wont be the starter next year.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #33
Special Teams
 
schndr_tdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 104
Re: Using a high pick on QB.

You hit it Mattyk72.When we played the Lions,Al and the gang called short plays (slants,curls,etc.)to exploit the lack of speed in the middle of the Lions defense.Jason looked great,mostly because Moss,Cooley,ARE can produce after the catch.I think the reason that they havent gone after a WR in free agency is because they are strong there.They need a tall strong receiver to block and be a threat inside the 20.Cambell will have a breakout year.Look at his stats his senior year.Dont forget that Portis was a star in this style for Denver,and to get pressure off the QB(blocking,dump offs,and draws)is where hes one of the best.The only problem i see,is health of the line.
schndr_tdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #34
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 82,934
Re: Using a high pick on QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Based on a lot of the same stuff I noticed with Gibbs & Ramsey. Zorn & Co. have talked him up a good bit and stressed that he is the starting QB. IMO, if they gotta stress that they are either trying to convince themselves or us. We wont know for sure until they start playing but this is JC's last chance, if he doesnt do it now he wont be the starter next year.
Zorn simply named him the starter to squash any talk of a potential QB controversey coming off of Collins' playoff run. Not sure what's wrong with that and I don't think it should be read into much further than that.

What does JC have to do this year in your opinion? Personally I think the Skins will be much more patient with him than some fans seem to think.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #35
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,927
Re: Using a high pick on QB.

JC played very well in the WC offense in college. Why the assumptions that he will fail? If he struggles at first it is because he is still adjusting to the NFL game, not because the WC offense does not suit him. JC is a good athlete and with time he will do well.

I have not seen Joe Flacco play in a real game, but sounds like the hype is getting larger than life. Has anybody seen him play in college? Is he a gamer or is a work out freak that has a strong arm and all the numbers (height, weight, speed)? Mr Cerrato, I do not want a good practice and work out player. I want a FOOTBALL player that proves it on the field not a work out freak.

At this time of year some people (I am being nice by calling them people) look at the combine numbers and get excited. But the numbers never tell the whole story, remember guys like Mike Mamula that elevated themselves high in the draft because of an off the chart work out at the combine.

Recently in 2005, Matt Jones from Arkansas blew everyone away at the combine 6'6' 230 pounds and ran a 4.3 in the 40. In three years he has five starts, with 101 catches. Smells like a bust.
You can not measure the intangibles.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #36
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,685
Re: Using a high pick on QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Zorn simply named him the starter to squash any talk of a potential QB controversey coming off of Collins' playoff run. Not sure what's wrong with that and I don't think it should be read into much further than that.

What does JC have to do this year in your opinion? Personally I think the Skins will be much more patient with him than some fans seem to think.
I think he has to play better overall. By that I mean become much more accurate on short & mid range passes. I also think he needs to become much faster in his tempo and decision making and stop throwing those bad interceptions that lose games. As for his buggy whip delivery, hopefully Zorn & Co will try improve his mechanics. JC has a lot of room to improve.

Actually I think the Skins have been immensely patient with JC. They spent 3 picks on this guy and now 4 years down the road he is still barely developed beyond a rookie. IMO you just dont spend 3 picks on a project.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #37
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 82,934
Re: Using a high pick on QB.

Barely developed? I dunno, I just don't see it. I thought he played very well in the 2nd half of the year and showed signs that he was close to turning the corner.

Of course he has room to improve but I don't think he's so far off that this season is a make or break year for him.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #38
Impact Rookie
 
hail_2_da_skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 58
Posts: 863
Re: Using a high pick on QB.

The Redskins have a lot of needs but I don't think quarterback is high on that list. A third string quarterback, that most likely will not see the playing field this year, should not warrant a high draft pick. The Skins need a corner back, safety, wide receiver, offensive and defensive line depth. I would address all those needs first. With their long list of needs and draft position, the Skins will be in a position to draft the best player available.
__________________
"HAIL TO THE SKINS"
hail_2_da_skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #39
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,685
Re: Using a high pick on QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Barely developed? I dunno, I just don't see it. I thought he played very well in the 2nd half of the year and showed signs that he was close to turning the corner.

Of course he has room to improve but I don't think he's so far off that this season is a make or break year for him.
Had Gibbs stayed I dont think it would be a make or break year but he didnt. These are new coaches that didnt draft JC and IMO that makes a huge difference (much like Gibbs didnt draft PR, I really think it made a difference to Gibbs). JC is not terrible by any means but he is nowhere close to being worth the 3 draft picks the Skins gave up for him 4 years ago. That said I dont think the Skins are in "need a QB" mode yet but by the end of the season we will know.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #40
Special Teams
 
schndr_tdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 104
Re: Using a high pick on QB.

We have 2 QB's that could start on this team,we don't need another.Here is a list of positions we need:CB,OL,DE,DT,WR,LB,S,P in that order.
schndr_tdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #41
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: Using a high pick on QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schndr_tdd View Post
We have 2 QB's that could start on this team,we don't need another.Here is a list of positions we need:CB,OL,DE,DT,WR,LB,S,P in that order.
I like CB, DE, DE, OG, OL, DL, DL, CB,

I'm really hoping for a CB for the first round pick. I would prefer DE but there probably won't be one good enough to select with the 21st.

Linemen need to be picked with the rest of the draft. They have a better chance of sticking to the roster and paying dividends down the road.
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #42
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 82,934
Re: Using a high pick on QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Had Gibbs stayed I dont think it would be a make or break year but he didnt. These are new coaches that didnt draft JC and IMO that makes a huge difference (much like Gibbs didnt draft PR, I really think it made a difference to Gibbs). JC is not terrible by any means but he is nowhere close to being worth the 3 draft picks the Skins gave up for him 4 years ago. That said I dont think the Skins are in "need a QB" mode yet but by the end of the season we will know.
Looking back now I think it's clear that Ramsey just wasn't starting material. If he could have played I'm not sure it would have mattered much to Gibbs whether he drafted him or not.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:05 PM   #43
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Using a high pick on QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Based on a lot of the same stuff I noticed with Gibbs & Ramsey. Zorn & Co. have talked him up a good bit and stressed that he is the starting QB. IMO, if they gotta stress that they are either trying to convince themselves or us. We wont know for sure until they start playing but this is JC's last chance, if he doesnt do it now he wont be the starter next year.
Not a whole lot of drafted QBs can come in their first two years and play above average football.

And yes, Campbell needs to get better to take us to the next level, but history tells us to be optimistic here.

Is it really so bad to have a QB who is giving us a few years of above average football before he fully matures? I understand you want the results as soon as possible, so do the rest of us, but he's been good so far, why temper the expectations for him?

I definately wouldn't f with his mechanics. Sure the delivery isn't ideal, but it doesn't make nearly enough of a difference to risk making the guy uncomfortable in the pocket.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #44
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,685
Re: Using a high pick on QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Looking back now I think it's clear that Ramsey just wasn't starting material. If he could have played I'm not sure it would have mattered much to Gibbs whether he drafted him or not.
Its always easier with 20/20 hindsight. Of course if he could have played Gibbs wouldnt have had a problem but like you said, he couldnt. So far, its not clear that JC is startinig material so like you say, if he shows he can play Zorn will keep him. The problem is its not obvious that JC is starting material.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #45
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 82,934
Re: Using a high pick on QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Not a whole lot of drafted QBs can come in their first two years and play above average football.

And yes, Campbell needs to get better to take us to the next level, but history tells us to be optimistic here.

Is it really so bad to have a QB who is giving us a few years of above average football before he fully matures? I understand you want the results as soon as possible, so do the rest of us, but he's been good so far, why temper the expectations for him?

I definately wouldn't f with his mechanics. Sure the delivery isn't ideal, but it doesn't make nearly enough of a difference to risk making the guy uncomfortable in the pocket.
I agree, I don't see his mechanics as a major deal anymore. He tightened up his delivery enough to where it's not the issue it once was.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33350 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25