Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


The official 2008 draft discussion thread

NFL Draft Central


View Poll Results: WTF Pick of Day One
WR Devin Thomas (34) 18 12.00%
TE Fred Davis (48) 95 63.33%
WR Malcolm Kelly (51) 37 24.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #721
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,939
Re: The official 2008 draft discussion thread

I agree with drafting the WR's at the time. They were the best available football players. But the TE pick was foolish. We should have taken DE Campbell.

This a typical Snyderatto draft. Offense offense offense. Snyderatto has never met a skill position player he did not want to get. This is the only reason i do not like Snyderatto as our GM. I do not dislike them, it is a diffrence in philosophy.
I prefer we draft Lineman. It is simple reasoning, there more people on this planet that are the size of a skill position player. There are less 6'6" 300 pound star athletes on this planet. So getting talented and skilled linemen is more difficult because there are less of them in our population.

The Redskins built their dynasty of the 80's and early 90's on strong lines. Our lines were big and deep.
Our WR's on the other hand, other than 1st round pick Art Monk, were nobodys Charlie Brown, Alvin Garret, Ricky Sanders, Virgil Seay. WR's are a dime a dozen.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #722
Impact Rookie
 
WillH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 974
Re: The official 2008 draft discussion thread

Yeah, while I'm a lil upset we didn't get a pass rusher one thing is certain. We have bodies on O. Guys that can get first downs and TD's in the redzone. Its been awhile, and that is exciting. But if we don't see a vast improvement on O, there will be a lot of unhappy skins fans.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #723
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,365
Re: The official 2008 draft discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
The more I think about the WR picks I start to think about Moss' hamstring injuries in NY that lead to him coming here for Coles. He had a bruised heel this year and that awful game that he pulled himself out of. The WR picks don't bode well for his long-term future here. ARE will be fine as he's more versatile is a solid slot or # 3 and can focus more on his return game.
I don't think I'd go that far, Moss is a long-term 'Skin. His contract doesn't make it feasible to cut him until 2010, and even then it would only be wise if he totally sucked by then.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:06 PM   #724
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: The official 2008 draft discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Landry
Bam! Thanks. How could I forget that guy. But my only point is, it's not like we pull the offense overhaul thing every year. We're usually going for defenders. Crap, save Jason Campbell, when was the last time we put such an emphisis on offense so early in the draft

We'll be fine, fellas. Just fine.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #725
Impact Rookie
 
Redskin Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Orleans, LA- via VA
Age: 36
Posts: 635
Wink Re: The official 2008 draft discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
Anyone who thinks they can predict with any confidence these young wr's translation or transition to the nfl is a joker.
But we can hope.
__________________
Hail to The REDSKINS
Redskin Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #726
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,365
Re: The official 2008 draft discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Bam! Thanks. How could I forget that guy. But my only point is, it's not like we pull the offense overhaul thing every year. We're usually going for defenders. Crap, save Jason Campbell, when was the last time we put such an emphisis on offense so early in the draft

We'll be fine, fellas. Just fine.
Even then though, Carlos Rogers was our first pick that year.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:08 PM   #727
Special Teams
 
Larry Michael is Satan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 123
Re: The official 2008 draft discussion thread

It seems like in picking two WR's the front office is hoping one pans out, which seems like they are not all that confident in thier drafting ability.
Larry Michael is Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:10 PM   #728
Impact Rookie
 
theJBexperience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boone, NC
Posts: 579
Re: The official 2008 draft discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
im not disappointed with the FO for not picking O line, im disappointed their wasnt an Oline guy the skins thought was worth the pick if that makes sense. i guess i should be happy they didnt stretch for a guy just to fill a need and leave a higher rated potential impact wr on the board.

what O lineman can i look forward to seeing the skins draft in 3 and 4?

go skins!
There was such a run on OL already. Roy Scheuning from Oregon St. is the best guard left & Carl Nicks from Nebraska is the best tackle, but they probably won't be around by pick 96.

I'd like to see us go DL. Maryland's Dre Moore and Arkansas' Marcus Harrison are still on the board. Hopefully, one of them will stil be around by #96. The DE position was absolutely ravaged already. Is Chris Ellis from VT the best guy left?
theJBexperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:12 PM   #729
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: The official 2008 draft discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
I agree with drafting the WR's at the time. They were the best available football players. But the TE pick was foolish. We should have taken DE Campbell.

This a typical Snyderatto draft. Offense offense offense. Snyderatto has never met a skill position player he did not want to get. This is the only reason i do not like Snyderatto as our GM. I do not dislike them, it is a diffrence in philosophy.
I prefer we draft Lineman. It is simple reasoning, there more people on this planet that are the size of a skill position player. There are less 6'6" 300 pound star athletes on this planet. So getting talented and skilled linemen is more difficult because there are less of them in our population.

The Redskins built their dynasty of the 80's and early 90's on strong lines. Our lines were big and deep.
Our WR's on the other hand, other than 1st round pick Art Monk, were nobodys Charlie Brown, Alvin Garret, Ricky Sanders, Virgil Seay.
You make a great point. No doubt we passed up a helluva player in Calais Campbell, but I'm okay with it. He may make us look stupid by passing him up, well see.

But isn't that what the draft is really all about? We'll see....
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:14 PM   #730
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,342
Re: The official 2008 draft discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I don't think I'd go that far, Moss is a long-term 'Skin. His contract doesn't make it feasible to cut him until 2010, and even then it would only be wise if he totally sucked by then.
If 2010 is the year, it makes sense the FO is being really forward thinking. Young WRs often don't hit stride for a couple of years, by then Moss is 29-30 and slowing down. Or his injuries are more of a concern & the two WRs are insurance so we don't go into a game with 52 yr. old receivers on the field (McCardell).

The other thing is that all three picks are big targets and will help Campbell as he gets his accuracy together in the new offense. At first take I was definitely against WR first, I wanted to shore up the DL & CB, but depending on tomorrow this may be a very good draft.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:14 PM   #731
Special Teams
 
bigm29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mt. Laurel, NJ
Age: 26
Posts: 353
Re: The official 2008 draft discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
The more I think about the WR picks I start to think about Moss' hamstring injuries in NY that lead to him coming here for Coles. He had a bruised heel this year and that awful game that he pulled himself out of. The WR picks don't bode well for his long-term future here. ARE will be fine as he's more versatile is a solid slot or # 3 and can focus more on his return game.
Moss is going to have pressure on him this year, or at least in the next couple years, for his job, so he's going to have to perform well.
__________________
Hail Redskins!!!
bigm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #732
Playmaker
 
itvnetop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 37
Posts: 2,872
Re: The official 2008 draft discussion thread

Doh! I read the poll wrong... I thought it was asking for best pick of the draft, not biggest wtf. Retract my vote for Fred! He's the best pick, imo.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #733
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,342
Re: The official 2008 draft discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJBexperience View Post
There was such a run on OL already. Roy Scheuning from Oregon St. is the best guard left & Carl Nicks from Nebraska is the best tackle, but they probably won't be around by pick 96.

I'd like to see us go DL. Maryland's Dre Moore and Arkansas' Marcus Harrison are still on the board. Hopefully, one of them will stil be around by #96. The DE position was absolutely ravaged already. Is Chris Ellis from VT the best guy left?
I'd be happy with any one of the DTs or OL mentioned if we can get them with our Comp Pick.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:17 PM   #734
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,342
Re: The official 2008 draft discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
You make a great point. No doubt we passed up a helluva player in Calais Campbell, but I'm okay with it. He may make us look stupid by passing him up, well see.

But isn't that what the draft is really all about? We'll see....
Our FO may also look like geniuses if he's a bust
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #735
Impact Rookie
 
theJBexperience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boone, NC
Posts: 579
Re: The official 2008 draft discussion thread

There are still some talented guys in the secondary left: CB Justin King from Penn State, CB Charles Godfrey whom we were interested in, and safeties: Reggie Smith from Oklahoma, DaJuan Morgan from NC State, and Thomas DeCoud from Cali. From a value standpoint, the secondary prospects are looking pretty good for our first pick tomorrow.
theJBexperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31194 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25