Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Questions that might effect the DRAFT

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #31
The Starter
 
backrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 36.28 x 76.22
Age: 63
Posts: 1,812
Re: Questions that might effect the DRAFT

Trade down to 18-17th in the 1st round, then trade down to 28th in the first round, then, trade down to the 2nd round. Pick up multiple picks to replace the picks we let go in trades. Or trade down one time, I don't care, just trade down, get extra picks, and always, always think DL/OL, DL/OL. We need bigger, faster, and younger on the lines!
__________________
'37, '42, '83, '88, '92. Championship!
backrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #32
Camp Scrub
 
MeanEvilSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 59
Re: Questions that might effect the DRAFT

This is a deep draft in a number of areas -- O-Line being one of those areas. While I want us to be able to move down, we may not have the opportunity with so many teams feeling they won't have to move up to get talent. We'll see. I would love to have about six picks in the 2nd round in this draft, but that's dreaming.

What I want:
Trade down in the first & pick up Duke Robinson.
Gain a 2nd round pick and nab Alex Mack.
Pick up Evander Hood in the 3rd.
Pick up Alex Boone in the 5th to play RT.

So let it be written, so let it be done.
__________________
Build this team through the draft, please! Starting with both lines. A dynasty is not a bad thing to shoot for!
MeanEvilSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #33
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,963
Re: Questions that might effect the DRAFT

I hear what you're saying 30 about a center to replace Rabach. I've heard that Unger likely won't play Center in the NFL. I do like Luigs as a center option though. But I'm really high on Robinson though. He didn't like playing it in the past, but I'd revisit with Kendall the idea of him moving to Center. Left to Right you could go Samuels, Robinson, Kendall, Thomas, and Vernon Carey (assuming we were to sign him) with depth in Rinehart, Jansen, and Heyer. Is that great? Probably not, but with Robinson, Carey, Rinehart, and Heyer that's some youth to build on.

As for the defensive line? I've mentioned him before but I'll say it again. DE Connor Barwin in the 3rd round.

YouTube - DE Connor Barwin Highlights Cinci vs Rutgers 10/11/08

And sign Karlos Dansby for LB
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #34
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,400
Re: Questions that might effect the DRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanEvilSkin View Post
This is a deep draft in a number of areas -- O-Line being one of those areas. While I want us to be able to move down, we may not have the opportunity with so many teams feeling they won't have to move up to get talent. We'll see. I would love to have about six picks in the 2nd round in this draft, but that's dreaming.

What I want:
Trade down in the first & pick up Duke Robinson.
Gain a 2nd round pick and nab Alex Mack.
Pick up Evander Hood in the 3rd.
Pick up Alex Boone in the 5th to play RT.

So let it be written, so let it be done.
Amen and amen.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #35
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Questions that might effect the DRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
I think you are looking at Samuels, Rinehart, Rabach, Thomas, Heyer. I would like Jansen to stay for backup or depth because Heyer seems to get dinged up, but I just dont see him staying. He would have to take less money also.
While i'm thinking mostly positive thoughts about '09, can't help but say that lineup looks like a recipe for disaster. Obviously Samuels will come back strong. But Rinehart as a starter when there is no evidence whatsoever he can play at a high level. Remember he played small ball in college and hasn't earned enough confidence to take a snap all year. Rabach is at best an average center. I'd like to think Thomas had a down year and will return strong but the neck injury could be serious so he's a wait and see. And then Heyer. Jeez. One of the worst run blockers i saw all year. Massive upper body covered in baby fat and legs that seem to struggle to hold his own weight, let alone move a DE or DT around. Honestly if this is our lineup next season looks scary.

As to the critics of a top OT @ 13, Samuels won't play forever. Let the young stud take over the RT position w/ the intent of moving to LT in a few years. Give time for Rinehart to develop or draft another franchise RT down the road. Either way a monster at tackle is a position you can build the offense around (aside from QB). Three teams did it last year: drafted OTs in the 1st round and had em start all season (Miami, Denver and I forget the third at present). IMHO we need to stop dickering around w/ "potential talent" or "diamonds in the rough" when it comes to the lines (o-line especially right now). Just grab the top talent and start to build a team around a dominant line.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #36
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,400
Re: Questions that might effect the DRAFT

Orakpo goes head-up against Alex Boone tonight. Texas vs Ohio State. Should be interesting. We could end up with one or both of these guys. Some mock drafts have us taking Orakpo at #13.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #37
Camp Scrub
 
MeanEvilSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 59
Re: Questions that might effect the DRAFT

After watching the Sugar Bowl, I know I don't want the center from 'Bama. He looks worse than Raybach.
__________________
Build this team through the draft, please! Starting with both lines. A dynasty is not a bad thing to shoot for!
MeanEvilSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #38
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: Questions that might effect the DRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I also would like to ignore a lineman with our first overall pick. I know our lines are in shambles, but unless you're taking an LT -- the 13th pick is too early for an offensive lineman, and defensive guys scare the hell out of me. I've heard people on this board screaming for this DE or that DE (myself included) and when you look back -- that player did jack squat in the NFL. DEs have one of the highest bust rates in the NFL.

I must say, a stud LB would be a nice choice there. McIntosh is iffy, Washington is nearly done, and Fletch has been an absolute monster -- but he doesn't have a ton of time left.

LB would be a decent pickup, but there will be a lot of quality of linemen coming out this season, especially out of the Big 12 and Pac 10. Jansen is a stud, but face it he is aging and oft injured anymore. Ditto with Samuels and Thomas. If you have 80% of the present line as your starters for '09 don't expect much better results offensively. You know Jansen and the above mentioned guys will probably miss 8-14 weeks combined by being banged up, or worse.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #39
The Starter
 
T.O.Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Berlin, MD
Posts: 2,033
Re: Questions that might effect the DRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I thought Randy was one of the weak links on the offensive line.
I have heard allot about how bad Thomas was many times here at the Warpath. The fact is, that I cant tell if it is true or not, but he is a pro bowl alternate. I never really thought he played bad. I think to the normal football fan, it is allot harder for us to tell if interior linemen are doing their job. When it came to Jansen it was obvious that he was struggling.
I would like to see us start Heyer RT, and Rinehart at LG. The thing that concerns me about Rinehart is that when Vinny gave his press conference he never mentioned him. He spoke of the receivers and Rob Jackson as ones to watch next year. Maybe it was an over site, but it made me wonder. The fact that they played Fabini, instead of him also had me wondering.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #40
Special Teams
 
Larry Michael is Satan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 123
Re: Questions that might effect the DRAFT

I think it is really foolish to be counting on Kendall OR Rinehardt at LG next year. Kendall is going to be 36 I think, and has arthritic knees. Rinehardt, I actually recall hearing about him getting repeatedly blown up in training camp, and the fact that we were desperate for O-line this year, and he was never even active tells me he has a long way to go. I think we need to draft a starting LG as badly as we need a starting RT. We need quality players, not just bodies. Better have somebody ready to step in for Casey also. Good luck Vinny.
Larry Michael is Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #41
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,400
Re: Questions that might effect the DRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
While i'm thinking mostly positive thoughts about '09, can't help but say that lineup looks like a recipe for disaster. Obviously Samuels will come back strong. But Rinehart as a starter when there is no evidence whatsoever he can play at a high level. Remember he played small ball in college and hasn't earned enough confidence to take a snap all year. Rabach is at best an average center. I'd like to think Thomas had a down year and will return strong but the neck injury could be serious so he's a wait and see. And then Heyer. Jeez. One of the worst run blockers i saw all year. Massive upper body covered in baby fat and legs that seem to struggle to hold his own weight, let alone move a DE or DT around. Honestly if this is our lineup next season looks scary.

As to the critics of a top OT @ 13, Samuels won't play forever. Let the young stud take over the RT position w/ the intent of moving to LT in a few years. Give time for Rinehart to develop or draft another franchise RT down the road. Either way a monster at tackle is a position you can build the offense around (aside from QB). Three teams did it last year: drafted OTs in the 1st round and had em start all season (Miami, Denver and I forget the third at present). IMHO we need to stop dickering around w/ "potential talent" or "diamonds in the rough" when it comes to the lines (o-line especially right now). Just grab the top talent and start to build a team around a dominant line.
With some of the talent in this draft it's easy to get distracted. I just hope we don't lose sight of what we need to do. A dominant line would be a beautiful, beautiful thing.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #42
The Starter
 
vallin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna Va
Posts: 1,029
Re: Questions that might effect the DRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I think that ^^ line wouldn't be much better then the line we had last year.

Dude where's Pete??

When you consider that Pete played well and stayed healthy all year, i'd say he was our best lineman last year.

Why would you want to bring back Thomas who struggled and is having offseason surgery?

A defensive tackle at pick 13? Why?
We need to get younger on the line man. I hate to let Kendall go but he's 35. Thomas has played pretty well and I think if we cut him we'll take a hit. Honestly bro I think we will trade out and get more picks but if we're staying there I'm certain our pick will be on defense D- lineman, or LB.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #43
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,872
Re: Questions that might effect the DRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSkins View Post
I would like to see our o-line lineup look like this:

LT Samuels LG Kendall C Rabach RG Thomas RT Rookie

Backups: Jansen, Rinehart, Clark, Rabach.
I like this with a few minor changes.

LT Samuels LG Kendall or Rinehart C Rookie RG Thomas RT Rookie or FA signing
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:31 PM   #44
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Questions that might effect the DRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Michael is Satan View Post
I think it is really foolish to be counting on Kendall OR Rinehardt at LG next year. Kendall is going to be 36 I think, and has arthritic knees. Rinehardt, I actually recall hearing about him getting repeatedly blown up in training camp, and the fact that we were desperate for O-line this year, and he was never even active tells me he has a long way to go. I think we need to draft a starting LG as badly as we need a starting RT. We need quality players, not just bodies. Better have somebody ready to step in for Casey also. Good luck Vinny.
While he's aging Jansen probably plays well on the interior and can be a force at either guard position. Just an idea since he's a guaranteed hold-over but now lacks the lateral agility to be a great RT.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #45
Camp Scrub
 
MeanEvilSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 59
Re: Questions that might effect the DRAFT

I'm trying, but I can't find any reason to get excited about the Texas-Ohio State match-up. It's like these two teams are running in jell-o.
__________________
Build this team through the draft, please! Starting with both lines. A dynasty is not a bad thing to shoot for!
MeanEvilSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30091 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25