Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #61
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Why am I the only one wondering whether Carter could be successful At LDE? Is the verdict already in or something... Carter is a bit stouter than Taylor and for some reason Blache thought Taylor could play LDE. I'm just saying that a rotation at LDE between Daniels or Evans and Carter would let us keep Taylor at his pro-bowl position RDE.

... btw Carter is 6-4 and 252 (thought he was heavier at an earlier point but oh well) and Taylor is 6-5 and 244 (but I heard he drops closer to 240 during the season). Carter could put on a few more pounds too if he were to switch to LDE.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #62
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,112
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Why am I the only one wondering whether Carter could be successful At LDE? Is the verdict already in or something... Carter is a bit stouter than Taylor and for some reason Blache thought Taylor could play LDE. I'm just saying that a rotation at LDE between Daniels or Evans and Carter would let us keep Taylor at his pro-bowl position RDE.

... btw Carter is 6-4 and 252 (thought he was heavier at an earlier point but oh well) and Taylor is 6-5 and 244 (but I heard he drops closer to 240 during the season). Carter could put on a few more pounds too if he were to switch to LDE.
Yeah I think mentioned a while back that they were successful with Andre Carter at LDE against the Vikings back in 2007...but that's against a Vikings team that was no real threat in the passing game. But I would probably put him there and Taylor at RDE (unless Taylor plays the will)
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #63
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Yeah I think mentioned a while back that they were successful with Andre Carter at LDE against the Vikings back in 2007...but that's against a Vikings team that was no real threat in the passing game. But I would probably put him there and Taylor at RDE (unless Taylor plays the will)

Good memory SS. I thought the concern w/ AC @ LDE might be against the run?
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #64
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,112
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
This is exactly what ive been thinking we should do. We must take a tackle at 13 because we need someone who can potentially slide to LT in 2010. Its highly unlikely that we could trade down and still get a guy with the potential to do that. This is an extremely deep draft at LB, so someone like Freeman from Ohio state, Ivy from WVU, or perhaps even Zack Follett from Cal could come in right away.

I strongly think we should try to resign Washington though. The cap credit we get from signing someone with his NFL experience should make him very affordable, and not make it necessary to start a 3rd Rd LB right away.

I personally think we may be better off moving Taylor to LB, though. If we did that, we wouldnt necessarily need to bring Washington back and we could resign Daniels and have him start at DE. Like washington, he can be had extremely cheap. We could also draft a DE in the third round. If Brandon Graham from Michigan falls to us there, he would be a steal. We have to remember, now that Haynesworth and Griffin are our DTs, itll make any DEs we put in there look ALOT better. Having Taylor on the roster gives us alot of flexibility in deciding whether to draft a DE or LB in the 3rd.
I think Taylor is going to play a lot of LB and DE, you're right about the flexibility he gives us.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #65
Special Teams
 
Nflnick11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 432
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Why do you keep saying this? Nick Mangold started as a rookie for the Jets in 2006 and had an outstanding year. So have others.
Because i know mack will not be able to pick up New York giant blitzes or philly blitzes or the best sacking team in the league, the cowboys blitzes, in his first year...if we get mack he'll be a guard then center, not visa versa...besides why don't people want max unger, he played guard, center, and tackle and started all four years at oregon...you get more options with unger than you do with mack or any other olineman in the draft....Don't think that I'm gonna be mad about us getting mack, its just that i don't think he'll start or have as much of an impact as you all think he'll have his first season
Nflnick11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #66
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,455
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nflnick11 View Post
Because i know mack will not be able to pick up New York giant blitzes or philly blitzes or the best sacking team in the league, the cowboys blitzes, in his first year...if we get mack he'll be a guard then center, not visa versa...besides why don't people want max unger, he played guard, center, and tackle and started all four years at oregon...you get more options with unger than you do with mack or any other olineman in the draft....Don't think that I'm gonna be mad about us getting mack, its just that i don't think he'll start or have as much of an impact as you all think he'll have his first season
You have a right to your opinion, but I disagree. Most experts say he can start in his first year. I think they probably know more than either one of us so I'll go with that.
__________________
"I'm buying what Scott McCloughan is selling. Count me IN! HTTR!!!"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #67
Special Teams
 
Nflnick11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 432
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I can guarantee that Mack would start right away for anyone and Smith, Oher or however/whatever T would struggle at first. One thing Gibbs always liked in a player was smarts. Mack has it all.
I completley disagree with the fact that you think that those tackles, specifically smith, would struggle and not start right away...Pretty much all the scouts have said that A.Smith would start RIGHT AWAY at RT...for Mack i've heard mixed opinions, some that say he'll start right away, have said that he'd do that at guard, not center...Have you seen every Cal game this year, I was watching mack from the start of this year being that I get all the Pac-10 games, because I've heard he's one of the best centers in this years draft, I watched him and thought he did good, but i noticed he was being put on his back a lot wereas with Unger, and Shipley they held their ground against the BIG boys (I didn't see eric wood that much so I can't say the same) I want to know for a fact that Mack can handle the 3-4 NT's before I draft him
Nflnick11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #68
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 8,242
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nflnick11 View Post
I completley disagree with the fact that you think that those tackles, specifically smith, would struggle and not start right away...Pretty much all the scouts have said that A.Smith would start RIGHT AWAY at RT...for Mack i've heard mixed opinions, some that say he'll start right away, have said that he'd do that at guard, not center...Have you seen every Cal game this year, I was watching mack from the start of this year being that I get all the Pac-10 games, because I've heard he's one of the best centers in this years draft, I watched him and thought he did good, but i noticed he was being put on his back a lot wereas with Unger, and Shipley they held their ground against the BIG boys (I didn't see eric wood that much so I can't say the same) I want to know for a fact that Mack can handle the 3-4 NT's before I draft him
I live in the SF Bay area and have seen him play some pretty good pac-10 teams (USC, Oregon, Oregon State) I have also seen Unger, all I can tell you is Mack has held his own and has looked better than Unger. Do you Javhid Best RB for Cal? Guess who led the Pac-10 in rushing with 1580 yards and 15 TD's. Most of his runs were up the middle. Who was blocking? Mack. Enough said.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth

Last edited by SFREDSKIN; 03-01-2009 at 08:09 PM.
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #69
Special Teams
 
Nflnick11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 432
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I live in the SF Bay area and have seen him play some pretty good pac-10 teams (USC, Oregon, Oregon State) I have also seen Unger, all I can tell you is Mack has held his own and has looked better than Unger. Do you Javhid Best RB for Cal? Guess who led the Pac-10 in rushing with 1580 yards and 15 TD's. Most of his runs were up the middle. Who was blocking? Mack. Enough said.
Then can you explain to me why he's always on his back
Nflnick11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #70
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 8,242
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nflnick11 View Post
Then can you explain to me why he's always on his back
Got film you can show me?
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #71
Special Teams
 
Nflnick11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 432
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Got film you can show me?
Go to YouTube and get the mack video that's by draftparty, I think, or watch mike mayock and he'll mention that that's one negative with him...I can't send you the exact link, bcause I'm on my itouch
Nflnick11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #72
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,455
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nflnick11 View Post
Go to YouTube and get the mack video that's by draftparty, I think, or watch mike mayock and he'll mention that that's one negative with him...I can't send you the exact link, bcause I'm on my itouch
OMG he's got one negative!? There's alot of links posted on this board about Mack. Check them out. If you still don't like him, fine.
__________________
"I'm buying what Scott McCloughan is selling. Count me IN! HTTR!!!"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #73
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 8,242
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nflnick11 View Post
Go to YouTube and get the mack video that's by draftparty, I think, or watch mike mayock and he'll mention that that's one negative with him...I can't send you the exact link, bcause I'm on my itouch
Ok. All I'll say is watch him during the season by whoever is lucky to get him in draft.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #74
Special Teams
 
Nflnick11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 432
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Ok. All I'll say is watch him during the season by whoever is lucky to get him in draft.
Watch larry English now that's a great player in a position that we currently need... He reminds me a lot of tsuggs
Nflnick11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #75
Impact Rookie
 
tootergray34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 681
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

I'm really excited about this season and the draft now. I think that we really need to address OL issues. But I could also see us going after a DL or a LB. For those that think Ray Mauloga would be a good fit, I don't really agree. After seeing him run that 40 i'm a little hesitant. I'm interested to see how he does at the USC pro day coming up ina few weeks till I put further judgement.

I really see us going after Oher though. When you look at the NFL, the majority of the great teams...have great OL. We need to get some HOGS in there!
tootergray34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.39639 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25