Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #91
Impact Rookie
 
SOUL-SKINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 867
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
If the draft were held today, considering who I think would be available, I think the Skins would select either Oher or Cushing if they did'nt trade down.
Why Cushing?
__________________
TODD COLLINS WILL ALWAYS HOLD A SPECIAL PLACE IN MY HEART
SOUL-SKINS is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #92
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUL-SKINS View Post
Why Cushing?
He had a good showing at the combine, it's a position of need, and I have read that the FO likes him.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #93
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,246
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I would hope that Maualuga has decent coverage skills, or he's not going to be much of a linebacker in this league.
at 4.8something how great can he be? athletic TEs would eat him for lunch...
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #94
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,586
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
at 4.8something how great can he be? athletic TEs would eat him for lunch...
He pretty consistently runs it at around a 4.6. He was hurt (both physically and emotionally) during the combine
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #95
Impact Rookie
 
tootergray34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 681
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

I Think Cush is a late 2nd to 3rd round choice at BEST. that's just my opinion though. we really need to address the OL before LB too.
tootergray34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #96
The Starter
 
vallin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna Va
Posts: 1,029
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

I would pass on Malauga, and Cushing. Both our very slow, and Cushing does not stay on the field enough to select him at 13. Malauga has good game speed but a 4.8 at the combine is disturbing. He plays MLB, a position which is a strength, and he hasn't shown he can play OLB. I like Cushing but I would wait until the third round to get a guy like Jason Williams:

Williams of Western Illinois didn't receive a Combine invitation, but 14 scouts did reportedly show up to his March 3 Pro Day, where he was clocked as fast as 4.46 second in the 40-yard dash. Only one small problem - the time came on a basketball court. But he also put up 26 reps at 225 pounds and had a 39-inch vertical jump, according to the Chicago Sun-Times

The basketball court is a forgiving surface but I think we should look into him

NFL Draft - 2009 Risers and Fallers - CBSSports.com Football
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #97
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallin21 View Post
I would pass on Malauga, and Cushing. Both our very slow, and Cushing does not stay on the field enough to select him at 13. Malauga has good game speed but a 4.8 at the combine is disturbing. He plays MLB, a position which is a strength, and he hasn't shown he can play OLB. I like Cushing but I would wait until the third round to get a guy like Jason Williams:

Williams of Western Illinois didn't receive a Combine invitation, but 14 scouts did reportedly show up to his March 3 Pro Day, where he was clocked as fast as 4.46 second in the 40-yard dash. Only one small problem - the time came on a basketball court. But he also put up 26 reps at 225 pounds and had a 39-inch vertical jump, according to the Chicago Sun-Times

The basketball court is a forgiving surface but I think we should look into him

NFL Draft - 2009 Risers and Fallers - CBSSports.com Football
Good call on Williams. I read that earlier on CBS. He'd be worth a late round gamble depending on how the rest of FA and the front end of our draft goes.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #98
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,246
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
He pretty consistently runs it at around a 4.6. He was hurt (both physically and emotionally) during the combine
emotionally?
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #99
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,586
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
emotionally?
He lost a close relative earlier in the day
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #100
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallin21 View Post
I would pass on Malauga, and Cushing. Both our very slow, and Cushing does not stay on the field enough to select him at 13. Malauga has good game speed but a 4.8 at the combine is disturbing. He plays MLB, a position which is a strength, and he hasn't shown he can play OLB. I like Cushing but I would wait until the third round to get a guy like Jason Williams:

Williams of Western Illinois didn't receive a Combine invitation, but 14 scouts did reportedly show up to his March 3 Pro Day, where he was clocked as fast as 4.46 second in the 40-yard dash. Only one small problem - the time came on a basketball court. But he also put up 26 reps at 225 pounds and had a 39-inch vertical jump, according to the Chicago Sun-Times

The basketball court is a forgiving surface but I think we should look into him

NFL Draft - 2009 Risers and Fallers - CBSSports.com Football
I agree Vallin. I think there are some diamonds in the rough out there.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #101
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
emotionally?
Well, even though I wouldn't think that would affect a 40 time, pulling up lame before the finish line seemingly would.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #102
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

This is pretty easy.

Before Phat Albert they needed a DT, a linebacker (possibly two) an OG, a RT, a P, and a PK.

After Albert they need a DE, a linebacker (possibly two) an OG, a RT, a P, and a PK.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #103
Special Teams
 
nyredskinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Upstate NY
Age: 59
Posts: 151
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Good thread idea Ruh.

I think we still go OT IF our scouting indicates the available prospect(s), Oher and/or A. Smith probably, can successfully become a LT, not immediately but as Samuels transitions to RT (my own prediction). If the verdict is different for who's available and Rey Maluauga is available then it's a no-brainer IMO. Rey is the hardest hitter in the draft and plays a position we're already thin at. As GTripp has said if Fletcher gets nicked up for any period of time our defense will really suffer. Bottom line is Rey could play SLB as long as London is our QB on D and then transition to the middle... anyway i just don't think we can afford to pass on him cuz he's very special and top defenses need a monster MLB.

Our 2nd pick should be OL if we take LB @ 13 and vice versa...

5th round will be a tough call if Sidbury is there and a nice RB prospect is still available.

Last pick... punter LOL.
As soon as the defenses realized the Skins couldn't pass block for any longer than short yardage plays it was Blitz City. Forever 3 and outs wore down our D so we ended up 8 an 8. Need to prop up the OL.
__________________
I miss my Dad.
nyredskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #104
Camp Scrub
 
ibleedburgandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 17
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Although this is my first post i'm a follower of the skins since birth and pay attention to the small stuff. Since Jansen costs too much to let go I say stay with the line we have now and let Jansen and Heyer battle it out again.

Try a trade with NE that would swap our 13th pick with their 23rd, and then one of their 2nd rd picks...since they have two (34 and 47). Draft the best available LB or DE in the 1st, best available interior o-lineman in the 2nd (better value for interior than tackle in the 2nd), and the best available LB or DE in the 3rd since both positions are deep in the draft. The last two picks use on a LB or FB for depth on special teams!

Hail!
ibleedburgandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #105
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,246
Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedburgandy View Post
Although this is my first post i'm a follower of the skins since birth and pay attention to the small stuff. Since Jansen costs too much to let go I say stay with the line we have now and let Jansen and Heyer battle it out again.

Try a trade with NE that would swap our 13th pick with their 23rd, and then one of their 2nd rd picks...since they have two (34 and 47). Draft the best available LB or DE in the 1st, best available interior o-lineman in the 2nd (better value for interior than tackle in the 2nd), and the best available LB or DE in the 3rd since both positions are deep in the draft. The last two picks use on a LB or FB for depth on special teams!

Hail!
NE has never traded up, so i don't see that happening.

welcome though, and good first post .
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.35154 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25