Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Will the Redskins really take the best player available?

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,236
Will the Redskins really take the best player available?

Let's say that the Redskins aren't able to trade down and they must use the 13th pick but the best available player is not at a position of need.

How would you feel if the Redskins picked one of the following players at #13?

Mark Sanchez
Jeremy Maclin
Chris Wells
Vontae Davis
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Will the Redskins really take the best player available?

Well, neither Sanchez nor Maclin are going to be BPA at No. 13, because not many people see them as top fifteen talent. I don't at least.

Wells and Davis are fringe BPA at No. 13, good enough to justify the pick, and probably not the best players available in most realistic scenarios.

A better example than this would be, what do we do if a top talent at a non-need spot falls to us. What if, with no prior warning, Crabtree or BJ Raji is available? Those seem like surefire NFL elite talents, do we back off our draft board to go BPA?

I would say yes, if either Crabtree or BJ Raji slips to the 13th pick, I would draft them, regardless of need.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Will the Redskins really take the best player available?

But yeah, a BPA thread is a nice thread, but to answer your question KI, I would feel like we definately weren't looking at BPA if we ended up with any of those players.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,236
Re: Will the Redskins really take the best player available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Well, neither Sanchez nor Maclin are going to be BPA at No. 13, because not many people see them as top fifteen talent. I don't at least.

Wells and Davis are fringe BPA at No. 13, good enough to justify the pick, and probably not the best players available in most realistic scenarios.

A better example than this would be, what do we do if a top talent at a non-need spot falls to us. What if, with no prior warning, Crabtree or BJ Raji is available? Those seem like surefire NFL elite talents, do we back off our draft board to go BPA?

I would say yes, if either Crabtree or BJ Raji slips to the 13th pick, I would draft them, regardless of need.
I thought about that but it was difficult for me to imagine Crabtree or Raji being available at #13. I suppose stranger things have happened.

There's no way for us to know what the Skins draft board will look like but I have a feeling that there won't be enough of a talent difference between players for it to be a no-brainer to go away from a position of need.

Whether or not the players I mentioned might be among the better players available at #13 depends on who you believe. There are numerous draftniks who think they would be.

I'm trying to understand how fans would feel if the Skins went away from need and picked a player who is not necessarily elite but who the Skins felt was the BPA on their board at #13.

Last edited by KI Skins Fan; 03-21-2009 at 04:30 PM.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Will the Redskins really take the best player available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
What if they were to pick Chris Wells or Vontae Davis at #13? Would you throw a fit?
Depends heavily on who's available.

In pretty much all situations though, yes.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,517
Re: Will the Redskins really take the best player available?

the BPA argument makes me laugh. you draft for needs. and if your needs doesn't reflect draft value, you trade down. pretty simple
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Will the Redskins really take the best player available?

Here's a situation where I could justify stepping outside our needs:

1) Aaron Curry
2) Jason Smith
3) Everette Brown
4) Eugene Monroe
5) Brian Orakpo
6) BJ Raji
7) Michael Crabtree
8) Malcolm Jenkins
9) Andre Smith
10) Alex Mack
11) Michael Oher
12) Tyson Jackson

In this case (and pretty much exclusively this case), I don't like any of the available options, so Wells or Davis would be fine (I would question heavily what Davis/Malcolm Jenkins means for the future of the CB position, though, so less them than Wells).

If I'm drafting in this situation, I'm taking Eben Britton or Brian Cushing though, but given those options, I'd be less pissed with a pick of like Beanie Wells or Percy Harvin or something.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Will the Redskins really take the best player available?

Maybe i'm feeling some draft burnout cuz of all the coverage and hype this year but right now the more interesting question for me is whether we re-sign a few players, notably Marcus and big Phil. The market is thin on talent at both LB and DE, Lord knows we can't feasibly address both in the draft to the extent Marcus and Daniels could come in and contribute from day one and besides if Oher falls to us I think we grab him as SmootSmack has hinted.

I will say this... a healthy Daniels and Wynn rotating frequently is a better setup @ LDE than we had all last year. Marcus, as Blache said repeatedly, still makes the defense better when he's on the field. And obviously we've added big Al. I think our d will be superior just bringing back a couple of vets. Hopefully we do add a player in the draft - Sidbury or the best LB available in the 3rd round would be nice - but still i'm not looking to the draft to get us where we need to be.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,013
Re: Will the Redskins really take the best player available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
the BPA argument makes me laugh. you draft for needs. and if your needs doesn't reflect draft value, you trade down. pretty simple
Is simple if you have another team to negotiate with, otherwise you're screwed.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Will the Redskins really take the best player available?

honestly it depends on how much better than best player is over a need.

if you got surefire elite talent like a crabtree or raji that falls, you take them though, always.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,236
Re: Will the Redskins really take the best player available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
honestly it depends on how much better than best player is over a need.

if you got surefire elite talent like a crabtree or raji that falls, you take them though, always.
If we somehow get B.J. Raji I think I might make a fool of myself celebrating. Can you imagine a tandem of Haynesworth and Raji at DT?

Nah, there's no way we'll get that lucky.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #12
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,236
Re: Will the Redskins really take the best player available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Here's a situation where I could justify stepping outside our needs:

1) Aaron Curry
2) Jason Smith
3) Everette Brown
4) Eugene Monroe
5) Brian Orakpo
6) BJ Raji
7) Michael Crabtree
8) Malcolm Jenkins
9) Andre Smith
10) Alex Mack
11) Michael Oher
12) Tyson Jackson

In this case (and pretty much exclusively this case), I don't like any of the available options, so Wells or Davis would be fine (I would question heavily what Davis/Malcolm Jenkins means for the future of the CB position, though, so less them than Wells).

If I'm drafting in this situation, I'm taking Eben Britton or Brian Cushing though, but given those options, I'd be less pissed with a pick of like Beanie Wells or Percy Harvin or something.
What about Maualuga?
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,013
Re: Will the Redskins really take the best player available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
If we somehow get B.J. Raji I think I might make a fool of myself celebrating. Can you imagine a tandem of Haynesworth and Raji at DT?

Nah, there's no way we'll get that lucky.
Well you never know who will make a mistake between 1-12 that will cause such a good player to fall to us. There are other incompetent FO out there you know.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #14
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,236
Re: Will the Redskins really take the best player available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Well you never know who will make a mistake between 1-12 that will cause such a good player to fall to us. There are other incompetent FO out there you know.
LOL! Let's hope so.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Will the Redskins really take the best player available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
What about Maualuga?
Well, he'd fall in the BPA category.

Given the scenario, I wouldn't complain with Maualuga either. He just wasn't on your list.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.37595 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25